• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubern

Hi guys. I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times already but I can't seem to find an answer for my problem.

Basically, I want to install a new locale (FR) on a non-rooted Lollipop tablet. Is it possible?

Don't know if it's really important, but the device is a Huawei HWT31, sold as Qua Tab 02 by Japanese phone carrier au. It's a pretty shitty tablet but I basically got it for free.

Dazzla

Got mine a few days ago a well, with the keyboard.

The hardware is fantastic, the battery life is god tier. The keyboard is actually really good to type on. It feels more comfortable than my Surface keyboard, despite being narrower.

I'm yet to sign up to the N beta, I will soon. I can't imagine how much more productive I'll be.

One thing I'm not used to, I keep reaching for a touchpad.

John Blade

Just got my Moto X Pure used here and it's okay right now. Start to notice the battery consumption is a bit higher and was wondering what way to save the battery either a battery apps or something on the phone I need to disable. Other than that, the phone is very good coming from Moto G 1st edition.

Hasney

Nextbit Robin is probably the best looking phone out there. I'm with BBoy, I'd be all over it if it was top of the line, especially with the mint colour.

Noema

I love how the Robin looks, if nothing else because it's not yet another glossy black slab.

Just got my Moto X Pure used here and it's okay right now. Start to notice the battery consumption is a bit higher and was wondering what way to save the battery either a battery apps or something on the phone I need to disable. Other than that, the phone is very good coming from Moto G 1st edition.

Is it running Marshmallow? Doze should help with idle battery drain.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nextbit Robin is probably the best looking phone out there. I'm with BBoy, I'd be all over it if it was top of the line, especially with the mint colour.
Mint day one. If it had the hardware. It's just so funky, different, and full of unique character. At the same time, it isn't gaudy and different for the sake of being different. Best phone design since the iPhone 5. Although I like the way my 6P looks, too.

Moreche

As much as I'm loving my S7 Edge, it disappoints me how much these phone companies are behind Apple in the adoption of Apple Pay contactless or AppleCare+.
I know android has come a long way but will they ever catch up to Apple?

Chorazin

As much as I'm loving my S7 Edge, it disappoints me how much these phone companies are behind Apple in the adoption of Apple Pay contactless or AppleCare+.
I know android has come a long way but will they ever catch up to Apple?

Huh? Samsung Pay is leaps and bounds ahead of Apple Pay. As long as your bank participates you can use your phone to pay almost everywhere, even places that don't yet have NFC credit card readers.

Agreed about AppleCare though.

Huh? Samsung Pay is leaps and bounds ahead of Apple Pay. As long as your bank participates you can use your phone to pay almost everywhere, even places that don't yet have NFC credit card readers.

Agreed about AppleCare though.

Hes probably referring to the fact that apple has landed most credit unions and banks vs google and samsung are still struggling to get them.

Moreche

Hes probably referring to the fact that apple has landed most credit unions and banks vs google and samsung are still struggling to get them.
Thanks for clarifying what I posted.
It's a real shame as I find the S7 edge HW leaps ahead of what apples doing, I just wish the services were better also.

What app do you guys use to manage your phone from a PC? I've been using Airdroid, but I haven't tried anything else. I'm curious to know if there's something better out there.

I'm looking into getting my first android smartphone, ideally something around $200-$400 that's compact and can easily fit in a pocket, but that also has good specs and will last for a while. Have there been any phones lately that really stand out as an awesome compact android?

I've researched the Xperia Z5 Compact, but I've been concerned about the overheating aspects that I've heard people mention. I've also looked into the Moto G, and the Moto E, but from what I've read in this thread so far, it seems like Motorola has some warranty issues.

At the moment, I've been trying to decide between the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 4.7, and a pre-owned Galaxy S5 from T-mobile. I'm leaning toward the Galaxy because of the better specs and the removable battery, but I'm so new to smartphones that I don't know if buying a pre-owned phone from 2014 is even a remotely smart thing to do. I don't even know if I'm on the right track though so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm looking into getting my first android smartphone, ideally something around $200-$400 that's compact and can easily fit in a pocket, but that also has good specs and will last for a while. Have there been any phones lately that really stand out as an awesome compact android?

I've researched the Xperia Z5 Compact, but I've been concerned about the overheating aspects that I've heard people mention. I've also looked into the Moto G, and the Moto E, but from what I've read in this thread so far, it seems like Motorola has some warranty issues.

At the moment, I've been trying to decide between the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 4.7, and a pre-owned Galaxy S5 from T-mobile. I'm leaning toward the Galaxy because of the better specs and the removable battery, but I'm so new to smartphones that I don't know if buying a pre-owned phone from 2014 is even a remotely smart thing to do. I don't even know if I'm on the right track though so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nexus 5X will still easily fit in your pocket. Also ebay daily deals has the GS6 for $399 no tax free ship vs a used GS5.

NotBacon

Google Fi is selling the Nexus 5X for $199 when you sign up with them.

My mom just did exactly this and she couldn't be happier. Great coverage, good prices, great phone (with all the latest updates installed).

Calabi

I recently bought the Xperia Z5 compact. I havent noticed or had any problems with overheating, I think it was overblown and was more of a problem on the Z3.

I think the phone is great. Battery life 2 days with 4 and half plus hours screen on time. Decent fast camera, just all round solid phone.

John Blade

Using my Moto X Pure edition for the whole day and yea....the battery isn't as great even though I install the Doze to increase the battery life a bit. I know it have quick charge which is fine but I don't have that choice if I am on the move outside. Guess I will check more online to see if they is a small fix of this issue.

Other than that, the phone is actually great for what it's.

Mr. Hyde

I just received my Robin (yay Amazon and same day delivery!), I will let you all know how it goes once it is all setup. I don't game on my phone, so I am sure it has more than enough power for everything I do.. Plus it has 3 gb of ram which made me jump on this instead of the Nexus 5x.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just received my Robin (yay Amazon and same day delivery!), I will let you all know how it goes once it is all setup. I don't game on my phone, so I am sure it has more than enough power for everything I do.. Plus it has 3 gb of ram which made me jump on this instead of the Nexus 5x.
So jelly. I heard the latest update tremendously improved the camera.

Nexus 5X will still easily fit in your pocket. Also ebay daily deals has the GS6 for $399 no tax free ship vs a used GS5.
Having never had a smartphone, it's so difficult for me to tell which phone sizes are easily pocketable, but that's awesome that the Nexus 5X is. I was thinking that it was too big of a phone for me. I'm definitely going to check out the 5X now. And thanks for mentioning ebay daily deals, I had no idea about that. They've got some amazing deals!

Google Fi is selling the Nexus 5X for $199 when you sign up with them.

My mom just did exactly this and she couldn't be happier. Great coverage, good prices, great phone (with all the latest updates installed).
Whoa! And there's coverage in my area too. That's a stunning deal; I'm gonna have to look into this. Thank you!

I recently bought the Xperia Z5 compact. I havent noticed or had any problems with overheating, I think it was overblown and was more of a problem on the Z3.

I think the phone is great. Battery life 2 days with 4 and half plus hours screen on time. Decent fast camera, just all round solid phone.
Well that's good to know. I really like what the Z5 Compact offers, and I'm still thinking about getting it. Thanks for the help.

reKon

Banned
I played with the 5X for the first time a few weeks ago and it actually did seem like a nice phone. $200 is a great price for it.

catmincer

Noema

Nexus 5x.

Nikodemos

Also for the person above. I have a Z3+/Z4 and it gets hot as hell. However my friends Z5 doesn't get as bad and cools down quickly. I'd assume the z5c is the same.
The Z3+/Z4 is a terribad phone. Has the same SD810 as the Z5, but without the improved cooling solution. It gets crazy hot during usage and drains the shit out of the battery.
The Z5C has the great advantage of a low res display, meaning the SoC isn't particularly stressed.

I know I've said this before but I wouldnt spend anymore than 300 bucks on an 808/810 phone at this point. I just don't see a z5c holding up a couple years down the road.

Those chips are shit. The 5x is a smooth phone now but that required a hit on battery life.

Hopefully we are not far away from $400 820 phones.

Jigolo

I know I've said this before but I wouldnt spend anymore than 300 bucks on an 808/810 phone at this point. I just don't see a z5c holding up a couple years down the road.

Those chips are shit. The 5x is a smooth phone now but that required a hit on battery life.

Hopefully we are not far away from $400 820 phones.
We're not. Oneplus 3, Moto w/e, and xiaomi will be/are. Nexus will be ~$500

Just picked up a Tab S2 on Amazon. Needed a small portable and light tablet for magazines and books as well as powerful enough to do other stuff. My Zenpad S shit the bed.

I really wish I could try it. But not really a fault of their own (not a big enough company) they said they wouldn't try to put the phones on Verizon/Sprint anymore because it was too time consuming and cost too much.

tzare

on T-Mobile.

Sprint and AT&T had it at launch and many Sprint devices have had FM enabled for a few years now. T-Mobile and AT&T recently committed to doing the same.

✓

I think european versions do not have FM radio. Maybe due to exynos soc?

I do not understand why locking some features is a thing. It does make no fuckin sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom