• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 spoiler free early copy impressions

I don't understand what you guys don't get about this.

We only want the broadest of impressions. Basically, all you need to say is that "I played the game." Please don't tell me what chapters were good, if the setpieces were fun, if the character development was interesting, if the music was well fit to the scenes or even if your overall opinion of the game was positive or negative. I want to make a decision about the game for myself and I don't want your opinion biasing mine.

I don't think you understand what impressions are.

100% Spoiler-Free impression of Uncharted 4: A Theif's End:

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End is a video game released exclusively for the Sony Playstation 4.

I would tell you more like if the game has an option menu or music or fun chapters, but that will have to wait for the Spoiler thread.

Grade:
???
/10

That's not "realistic" expectation. But expecting good story and pacing from this game is more realistic and fair, given that the developers were one to make TLoU. So seeing those issues and complaints about story should make many people worried. Hence, the negative.

Wait, the fact that there is so far one negative impression on story in a sea of positive impressions should make many people worried? Maybe people should wait for more impressions or reviews before hitting the panic button.

reKon

Banned
Spoiler culture is the worst.
I agree with you honestly. People just need to stay away from the threads if little things bother them.

The thread says spoiler free right in the title thread though...

It doesn't matter if it's little detail. That can be enough to figure out what will figure out what will likely happen next as you're playing through the game. The small details I've seen didn't even need to be mentioned in this thread at all.

Hale_C

Yes I got the same email. I ordered from somewhere else just in case but I'm hoping it's just precautionary or something. I'll be pretty gutted if it is not available for the weekend though. Especially after passing up on the £60 copies from eBay.

And you haven't received a similar notification from the other retailer? Mind if I ask who it was?

edit: whoosh.

xRaizen

100% Spoiler-Free impression of Uncharted 4: A Theif's End:

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End is a video game released exclusively for the Sony Playstation 4.

I would tell you more like if the game has an option menu or music or fun chapters, but that will have to wait for the Spoiler thread.

Grade:
???
/10
But is Nathan Drake in the game? Wait, don't tell me!

In general I preferred Amy Hennings scripts in uncharted 1 and 3 over Druckmans work on U2. So the fact Druckman dumped 8 months worth of Hennings work on U4 makes me look at it in a slightly negative light, As for Tomb Raider. I enjoyed the first and loved Riana Pratchett's work in TR2013 and in Mirrors Edge. So that game has more of my faith right now.

How to demonstrate your insanity in four sentences.

U.K. Preorder scrubs like myself: I just got an email from SimplyGames, who let me know that they're starting payment processing now, but that "due to restrictions put in place by the Publisher we will be receiving our launch stock on Monday 9th of May and despatching all pre-orders the same day." Won't be getting it early, it seems. Anyone get similar mails from other retailers? Sony properly cracking down, thanks thieves. I'll be seriously pissed if I don't get it on release :/

Just got this, im assuming since they took our money early, they are saying we cant get refunds for something they gonna ship late

Hedrush

Thanks for all the early spoiler free impressions folks, much appreciated. Now I'm torn on wether to preorder the digital version or wait and see if I can grab an early retail copy.

What's the general consensus on the difficulty level? I usually start my games on hard but I'm seeing some people saying normal is the way to go.

viHuGi

Banned
One people makes a negative impression everyone goes crazy.

Tons of people make amazing impressions and no one bats an eye.

The thread says spoiler free right in the title thread though...

It doesn't matter if it's little detail. That can be enough to figure out what will figure out what will likely happen next as you're playing through the game. The small details I've seen didn't even need to be mentioned in this thread at all.

That's not a spoiler though, a spoiler is outright telling someone what happens. If you have to do some legwork just to guess what might happen, it isn't a spoiler.

Thanks for all the early spoiler free impressions folks, much appreciated. Now I'm torn on wether to preorder the digital version or wait and see if I can grab an early retail copy.

What's the general consensus on the difficulty level? I usually start my games on hard but I'm seeing some people saying normal is the way to go.

Absolutely do not play on hard. It will kill your enjoyment of the game and you can't use the new mechanics effectively because you die too quickly.

I'm having a blast playing on hard and would recommend it heartily.

Alienous

There are ways to give impressions without spoiling things. When you get out of giving thoughts ("I think the game can be too difficult at times") into details ("In chapter 8 you have to fight a helicopter and the difficulty really spikes") you're venturing into spoiler territory.

That said if you want to truly avoid spoilers you'll really have to stay away from impressions. An impression of the ending can be interpreted as reducing the possibilities of what that ending might be; "The ending made me smile" probably doesn't translate to the closing shot being one of Nathan Drake's tombstone, unless the person playing is me.

So yeah, as much as possible it's helpful to avoid details. "This happens, that doesn't happen" types of things. But even then "this is what I thought" impressions can be interpreted as spoilers, but at least then it stays in the eye of the beholder.

We only want the broadest of impressions. Basically, all you need to say is that "I played the game." Please don't tell me what chapters were good, if the setpieces were fun, if the character development was interesting, if the music was well fit to the scenes or even if your overall opinion of the game was positive or negative. I want to make a decision about the game for myself and I don't want your opinion biasing mine.

Too subtle.

xinek

I don't want spoilers, but there's just one thing in particular I'd really like to know. Does anything horribly sad or depressing happen in this game? Yes/no answer is fine.

Auctopus

U.K. Preorder scrubs like myself: I just got an email from SimplyGames, who let me know that they're starting payment processing now, but that "due to restrictions put in place by the Publisher we will be receiving our launch stock on Monday 9th of May and despatching all pre-orders the same day." Won't be getting it early, it seems. Anyone get similar mails from other retailers? Sony properly cracking down, thanks thieves. I'll be seriously pissed if I don't get it on release :/

Sony just couldn't resist doing another delay. Gotta make sure everyone gets it at the same time.

reKon

Banned
I don't want spoilers, but there's just one thing in particular I'd really like to know. Does anything horribly sad or depressing happen in this game? Yes/no answer is fine.

Looks like I'm getting the fuck out of this thread now... See you all after May 10th!

dealer-

So good.

I've gotten a ton of gameplay details and I've been fine with that. Those aren't spoilers. The thread was actually fine for a while until recently when people started a little carried away expectations about the actual degree of events that occur without meaning it. Yes, it's on me for staying in this thread because I should know better to understand that some people just have a hard time in realizing that they posting spoiler stuff in a thread that clearly says spoiler free.

I have no idea what happens, just saying for those worried about the tone that the other games had darker moments too.

Shin-chan

And you haven't received a similar notification from the other retailer? Mind if I ask who it was?

Also, lol at people in an impressions thread demanding people only post statements of fact, such as 'I played the game.' Impressions are not statements of fact, they are subjective opinions. And if you really genuinely want to form your own opinion of the game, you should absolutely not be in an impressions thread.
It was with Gameseek who I understand often ship a little early too. They've just sent me a standard confirmation email but I don't know that they're that reliable that they will tell me otherwise. Their customer service is okay on the phone though so I might call them after work to check when their stock is in.

They're also open until 12 on a Saturday so there is a possibility it will ship then depending on where you are in their queue.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

LOL

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
The answer to this is a spoiler....

The Lamp

Hype is deflating a lot reading about the lack of setpieces and attempt at being too serious with the story. I'm still looking forward to it, but I'm prepping myself to be disappointed, something I wasn't expecting. For me, the series has always been about over the top moments in an unrealistic adventure, merged with some great humor along the way. It doesn't sound like this is that game at all :(

I am going to comment a bit on this but mind you this is my opinion and bias so take it with the aggregate of other opinions if you wish to read.

Yeah the humor is okay, not its wittiest so far (U2 was the best), and it feels like it's there because we expect it but overall the tone is...I don't mean to upset, but brace yourself and take it with a grain of salt...is almost like every character feels too old and tired to be doing this treasure hunting shit again. So the tone is more serious and somber. Not bleak or morbid like TLOU but definitely not as peppy as U2.

And so far (Chapter 9, early) it seems that the previous games have the most unique and impressive set pieces, even compared to the other games' early chapters.

I don't think I mind too much yet. I'll revisit my opinion at the end.

I'm still getting used to Sully's model. It looks so different from previous Uncharteds.

Wait, the fact that there is so far one negative impression on story in a sea of positive impressions should make many people worried? Maybe people should wait for more impressions or reviews before hitting the panic button.
I saw more than one though. But yeah I will be waiting for more impressions too.

Hedrush

Absolutely do not play on hard. It will kill your enjoyment of the game and you can't use the new mechanics effectively because you die too quickly.

I've seen a few people say the same and I certainly don't want my enjoyment of the game spoiled. Thanks dude.

I'm having a blast playing on hard and would recommend it heartily.

And then we have this. I like a challenge but will it be frustrating? Thanks dude.

Naughty Dog never made a game with a great story.

They make games with amazingly well written characters, and that is what counts. That is, why I don't like the new Tomb Raider games at all, and they even have a worse story than the Uncharted trilogy.

Same goes with The Last of Us. It's a story that has been told many times, but never that good, at least in a video game.

Writing > actual plot.

The Lamp

I've seen a few people say the same and I certainly don't want my enjoyment of the game spoiled. Thanks dude.

And then we have this. I like a challenge but will it be frustrating? Thanks dude.

I personally like the challenge balance in hard mode but it encourages stealth/not getting in enemy's faces. The gun fights will be more challenging. But if you want to feel flashy and powerful, hard mode may not be best.

SomTervo

As for Tomb Raider. I enjoyed the first and loved Riana Pratchett's work in TR2013 and in Mirrors Edge.

Yeah, just to step back to this: WTF at this sentence.

Pratchett's work on Rise of the Tomb Raider was an improvement on TR2013's, and it is still often shit-tier. It's hilariously incomparable to any of Naughty Dog's output, even going back to Jak and Daxter IMO.

Mirror's Edge, too... What is happening

Stop asking for specifics that isn't a broad opinion. It's a blurry line that easily falls into spoiler territory.

Eg. Asking if Elena is in the story a lot or not...the answer to that automatically sets some expectations and spoils story beats or how characters may be intertwined with the story.

This game just keeps getting more beautiful as you progress. It's really the art style, simply fantastic.

I'm on chapter 12 now and I really haven't seen the tonal disconnect mentioned by a few others.

Having some serious moments in light hearted UC-esque adventure isnt a tonal disconnect.

SomTervo

Naughty Dog never made a game with a great story.

They make games with amazingly well written characters, and that is what counts.

Story =/= plot.

Plot is a sub-set of story. "Story" is comprised of plot, lore/backstory, characters, themes and the narrative (how it is told). Some schools of thought believe that the only important element of a story is the characters, because stories are about people at their core so "a story is its characters". ND definitely believe that.

You're basically saying "Naughty Dog never make stories with great plots, just stories with great characters", which is fine, and yes that makes it 'a great story' even if the plot isn't brilliant. The way you've written it is a redundancy in your post.

I wish they would teach this stuff in school. Like, the actual nitty-gritty of how storytelling and narrative art works. School also fills your head full of lies about grammar and syntax

This thread has gone insane, so jokes on me.

Has happened to me twice in the last week. Not joking. Don't sweat it

I am going to comment a bit on this but mind you this is my opinion and bias so take it with the aggregate of other opinions if you wish to read. I will comment on the tone and very generic comments about set pieces. Please let me know if this is spoilery and I will remove.

Yeah the humor is okay, not its wittiest so far (U2 was the best), and it feels like it's there because we expect it but overall the tone is...I don't mean to upset, but brace yourself and take it with a grain of salt...is almost like every character feels too old and tired to be doing this treasure hunting shit again. So the tone is more serious and somber. Not bleak or morbid like TLOU but definitely not as peppy as U2.

And so far (Chapter 9, early) it seems that the previous games have the most unique and impressive set pieces, even compared to the other games' early chapters.

I don't think I mind too much yet. I'll revisit my opinion at the end.

I'm still getting used to Sully's model. It looks so different from previous Uncharteds.

Yeah that's the vibe I've been picking up on a bit in the trailers. I won't let it ruin the game for me, but it's definitely going to hamper the experience a bit. I guess going in expecting an older Drake at the end of his treasure hunting days with a less bombastic tone overall will at least keep my expectations in check. But hey, the more open approach does appeal to me at least, especially if I can find some interesting sites and vistas as a reward for digging around the areas. I'm certainly pretty excited for touring Madagascar still.

Ricky_R

I'm actually happy that the game leans a bit towards TLOU in tone, tbh. I love the humor, but I think a bit more depth was long over due, and Uncharted 3 tried it, but fell a bit flat imo.

Story =/= plot.

Plot is a sub-set of story. "Story" is comprised of plot, lore/backstory, characters, themes and the narrative (how it is told). Some schools of thought believe that the only important element of a story is the characters, because stories are about people at their core so "a story is its characters". ND definitely believe that.

You're basically saying "Naughty Dog never make stories with great plots, just stories with great characters", which is fine.

I wish they would teach this stuff in school. Like, the actual nitty-gritty of how storytelling and narrative art works. School also fills your head full of lies about grammar and syntax

I get what you're saying, but I hope you get also what I am saying, even though I am not great in expressing it.

Top Bottom