• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 PC Screenshot Thread of No Compromises

1wPb.jpg

0wPb.jpg

domlolz

Banned
People have said this about all of the games when they release. I think I'm done until maybe Steam's summer sale.

I also don't hold the gameplay in particularly high regard. Like, it's competent and it works but I'm not shelling out $67 for this. I've played enough souls.

edit: It's like Tales games. Yeah they're good, no I don't care anymore.

this post proceeding mass effect 3 screenshots is funny

Xyber

Those BC2 screens look way more impressive than the BF3 ones. Mainly because of the more vibrant colors and better looking vegetation. I always did love how that prologue looked in that game.

CHC

Nvidia is unveiling a pretty cool sounding driver-level free camera tool called Ansel.

Can take things at ultra-resolution (1000x 4k resolution), add filters, and shoot in 3D.

Edit: Confirmed it for The Division and No Man's Sky, among others. So expect to be able to finally get good shots from those now.

OtisInf

Hey,

If you want to get rid of the hud + weapon/hands in one go:

- create file hudhide.cfg in game root folder (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Crysis 3)
- add:
hud_hide 1
r_drawnearfov 2
- create file hudshow.cfg in game root folder
- add:
hud_hide 0
r_drawnearfov 1

in autoexec.cfg in game root folder, add:
bind 5 exec hudhide.cfg
bind 6 exec hudshow.cfg

now press 5 to hide hud/hands, press 6 to show them again. To change resolution quickly together with FOV, you can use the same keybind trick and per resolution create a .cfg file in the game's root folder, e.g.:
wide.cfg:
r_FullscreenWindow 0
cl_fov 37
r_width 2880
r_height 1200

Happy shooting :)

-------------
NVidia Ansel link for the lazy: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/ansel/technology
Looks interesting.

midhras

Say goodbye to ReShade if you want to use Ansel. And don't expect it to solve all problems inherent to tiledshots. If anything, I'm hoping that Ansel will push developers to enable more developer-like tools out to end-users. Stuff that usually has to be hacked in, unlocked or forced. Free camera, timestop, FOV control, TOD control, character manipulation, etc. Not likely, but who knows?

diaspora

Say goodbye to ReShade if you want to use Ansel. And don't expect it to solve all problems inherent to tiledshots. If anything, I'm hoping that Ansel will push developers to enable more developer-like tools out to end-users. Stuff that usually has to be hacked in, unlocked or forced. Free camera, timestop, FOV control, TOD control, character manipulation, etc. Not likely, but who knows?
So it's useless then.

So it's useless then.

If you consider whatever ReShade does to be useless:

Post-Process Filters — So you can tweak the look, feel and mood of your screenshot before saving, Ansel includes brightness, vignette, sketch, color enhancer, field of view and many other special effects options. It lets you create and share your own special FX filters, as enthusiasts do now for ReShade and other post-process applications.

It offers the same support for programmable shaders. So long as they achieve parity in terms of usability, Ansel should replace ReShade entirely. How those various effects scale with resolution is of course another matter.

It is worth pointing out, though, that the high resolution screenshots are just an option with Ansel, not the be all and end all of it. There's nothing to say you couldn't simply render the games at the desired capture resolution and enjoy the benefits that way.

diaspora

It offers the same support for programmable shaders. So long as they achieve parity in terms of usability, Ansel should replace ReShade entirely. How those various effects scale with resolution is of course another matter.
ReShade is platform agnostic though?

For a lot of people, Ansel would have to support SSAO, SMAA, and DoF to replace ReShade. Then again, like DeadEndThrills said, you have the option of running the game at a high resolution and capturing your shots with ReShade if you're only using Ansel for the camera. If you want the high resolution screenshot feature, then you'd have to forgo ReShade.

It's odd that they're pushing The Witcher 3 as one of the featured games considering there are already perfectly suitable tools for it available. I would have preferred them to work hard on something like Ryse instead.

Daingurse

maxpayne_2016_04_27_21hc6w.png

maxpayne_2016_05_04_2b7dyu.png

Still really dig the way faces are done in this game. I have never seen a game character's face express pain and agony quite like the way Max Payne does. That Grimace, I feel for Max each time I die lol.

midhras

As soon as the word hits the street that Ansel will feature something akin to ReShade's depth detection, I'll get properly enthused. Not that I'm not enthusiastic about Nvidia knocking on developers' doors to ask them to support some of its touted features.

OtisInf

I'm not sure reshade isn't possible, as it's an overlay that's injected right before page flip, so in theory it can still do whatever it wants with the active framebuffer. But it's to be seen indeed what the nvidia API does to it, i.e. whether it allows overlays at all in this mode. Tiled shots though are not going to utilize reshade as you don't have a full framebuffer.

That said, I also hope that ansel will offer a broader tooling package for screenshotting, so it's no longer a hack fest, but a firstclass citizen of the game features.

ReShade is platform agnostic though?
Depends on what you mean with 'platform' ;) There's only windows support, and additionally, no DX12 support yet. I hope reshade can live alongside this, as the new v3 in-game UI for reshade is really looking promising. Time will tell I guess ;)

diaspora

Depends on what you mean with 'platform' ;) There's only windows support, and additionally, no DX12 support yet. I hope reshade can live alongside this, as the new v3 in-game UI for reshade is really looking promising. Time will tell I guess ;)
I think you know what I mean by platform. :p

Generally I'd rather see the screenshotting tools be built into the games and be vendor agnostic like Frostbite's freecam tools.

Top Bottom