• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo @ E3 - No Direct, Just Zelda Treehouse Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChEpUFgU8AAs40U.jpg

omg

Fady K

Dragon Quest VII, Dragon Quest VIII, Rhythm Heaven Mega Mix, Ace Attorney 6, Monster Hunter Generations, Kirby Planet Robot, 7th Dragon 3, SMT 4-2, Pokemon Sun and Moon, River City Tokyo Rumble, Fire Emblem Fates (about 3 FEs worth of content)

for the next 7 months on top of what we already got this year + ,according to Kimishima, more to come, is more than decent for me.

But that comes down to taste. I guess.

Those are some fantastic looking titles, I meant there is not much else relatively speaking. On the topic of those games, you reminded me of Ace Attorney 6! Can't wait for that. Why oh why did Capcom not localize the Sherlock one :(? Also - Dragon Quest VII + VIII - thank God those are getting localized :)

takriel

wise decision,don't do a show if you don't have anything to show

but where will they show the Zelda introductory trailer with the main theme and subtitle reveal?

where will they show the developer interviews?

where the 30th anniversary orchestra medley?

where???

I'm going to be a contrarian and say that I think Nintendo is playing a bad hand extremely well here. It's clear NX was supposed to be the focus in E3, but somehow they weren't ready and had to delay.

They had the option of having an extremely sad lineup of hardware and software on the stand, sort of GameCube / GBA E3 2003 situation.

By excluding Paper Mario, #FE, Olympics and the few other B tiers they had left, they just might manage to elevate Zelda to a legendary, Super Mario 64 like status, building a ton of hype for it ahead of NX launch. They are clearly signalling "this is a huge deal, please be excited".

The only downside in this strategy is that they are unveiling the inferior version first, but if that's already good enough for them to be this confident, people will be blown away when they reveal the NX version.

I believe this is the smartest play they can do in a bad situation.

I agree that they're probably in a bad position at the moment, but I still think they could have more presence from other games at E3. Zelda doesn't need to be the only game at the show to be elevated. I think it's also important to give exposure to other games that you'd surely want to sell. At least give the third parties (if there are any left) some advertising.

Sadist

I'm going to be a contrarian and say that I think Nintendo is playing a bad hand extremely well here. It's clear NX was supposed to be the focus in E3, but somehow they weren't ready and had to delay.

They had the option of having an extremely sad lineup of hardware and software on the stand, sort of GameCube / GBA E3 2003 situation.

By excluding Paper Mario, #FE, Olympics and the few other B tiers they had left, they just might manage to elevate Zelda to a legendary, Super Mario 64 like status, building a ton of hype for it ahead of NX launch. They are clearly signalling "this is a huge deal, please be excited".

The only downside in this strategy is that they are unveiling the inferior version first, but if that's already good enough for them to be this confident, people will be blown away when they reveal the NX version.

I believe this is the smartest play they can do in a bad situation.
Agreed.

Still it's going to be a rough E3 PR wise.

"So Reggie, Zelda looks fantastic, but can you tell us what Nintendo's plans are for the rest of the year?"

"Well, we have this fantastic booth here and attendees are quite happy with it"

"But Reggie, you kind missed my question. Can't you give us a hint on other things on the Nintendo horizon? Like the NX"

*Reggie squints*

"What is your favourite thing about our booth, sir?"

Raitaro

wise decision,don't do a show if you don't have anything to show

True but personally I have difficulty accepting the fact that such a big company like Nintendo can have nothing to show except one (already delayed) game, even with a NX delay in mind. They can't expect their fans to maintain interest or any sort of satisfaction with their Wii U's if they give them pretty much nothing for the next year or so, which many of us won't be forgetting when we consider our next Nintendo purchases.

Surely they could have done another Nintendo Championship or Splatoon fest to create some kind of positive buzz for their fans, as well as announce a few outsourced remasters (Super Mario Sunshine HD?) or updates to popular games (like Splatoon and SMM) to keep us satisfied? Or highlight their upcoming 3DS output?

Is that really asking for too much?

Agreed.

"So Reggie, Zelda looks fantastic, but can you tell us what Nintendo's plans are for the rest of the year?"

"But Reggie, you kind missed my question. Can't you give us a hint on other things on the Nintendo horizon? Like the NX"

*Reggie squints*

Yup, there's going to be soooo much question dodging next month. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they release a press statement around that time saying when we could expect some NX news. It would at least ease the amount of questions journalist will inevitably ask at their booth.

R00bot

Agreed.

*Reggie squints*

"So Reggie, with the NX coming out next year, what kind of software can we expect on it?"

"Well, you can expect Zelda, we're showing that here today. We've set up this giant booth full of Zelda and only Zelda, because that's what the fans have said they want to see."

"But you're only showing the Wii U version of the game."

"Yes that is correct."

"But Reggie, Zelda can't be the only game to come out on the NX. Surely you have more plans?"

"Zelda Wii U has amazing horse AI, you see we've done extensive research and testing and found that most horses don't run into trees, in fact, they avoid them. We've worked really hard to make sure that the horse we have in this Zelda game, Epona, doesn't hit trees, just as you would expect from a real horse. We think this will really change the way people play Zelda. Walk with me to the mechanical Epona, let's go for a ride shall we?"

*Reporter with tears in eyes*
"Okay thank you Reggie for your insight."

I think Nintendo is simply going to have their own little event later to unveil their plans for the rest of the year.
Outright ignoring the Christmas season would be suicide. However, leaving E3 for Zelda only probably means they are very confident in this game's greatness (probably expecting it to become a classic like OoT, they did say they wanted to make it the next big step in the series like with OoT if I remember well), and instead of a live conference they have live coverage of the game.
Then they can reveal their own plans later (wishful thinking says July or something). They keep insisting on how they have several first-party Wii U and 3DS titles still in the works after all. But I doubt it's anything major (more spin-offes probably), so having it be a separate event from E3 would at least avoid it being overshadowed by Sony and Microsoft bringing the big guns.

This is assuming Nintendo will have a separate event for unveiling games at all though...

Mr_Irish

Neo Member
I grew up with Nintendo. I love all their big franchises like Mario, Zelda and Metroid... but what is Nintendo thinking? What have they been thinking for the past two years?

Have they really gotten that bad in regards to marketing? Do they honestly think that more "casual" players are gonna watch an Internet stream than take a look at all the E3 media coverage? I really don't count on any possible surprises. At this point, I don't even know what to expect - not just marketing-wise, but also in regards to their games. Will there ever be a bomb-shell of a game like Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy or Smash Bros. Melee? Probably.. but in the meantime there'll be a lot more major games on any other platform.

As someone who's first video game ever was Mario Kart 64, and who grew up playing on his GameBoy day in and day out... this is disappointing :/

Wait, so is it actually just a single day of live streaming, and just Zelda WiiU? Treehouse live wont be showcasing any other software during the show but they'll be running extended demoes for attendees for the show's duration?

TheJoRu

Yup, there's going to be soooo much question dodging next month. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they release a press statement around that time saying when we could expect some NX news. It would at least ease the amount of questions journalist will inevitably ask at their booth.

They will most likely not. They know everyone wants NX news, but at the same time, regardless of all the posts saying they "don't give a shit about E3 this year" they still have a presence there and it would be strange to go out with press releases about future reveals/marketing events at the same time you're trying to promote what they're doing at E3. It would basically be "we know that our E3 this year sucks, so please look forward to this event where we'll show what you actually want to see".

Regardless, it's a bad and weird situation all around and I doubt NoA disagrees with that.

I really doubt we'll hear anything about the timing for the actual NX reveal much before the General Meeting of Shareholders at the end of next month, and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything until July or August.

Wolfie5

Couldn't see it in the OP and probably answered already, but where does it say they won't have any direct?

Or is this just an assumption?

RPGCrazied

Zelda Treehouse stream starts at the hour their conference/digital event/direct usually starts.

If its just them playing it, like from stuff we've already seen before, like Link riding on Epona in a forest, and thats it, I'll be really disappointed.

They better have a story trailer.

Seriously.. Do you think the management at Nintendo know how awful this is?

Probably. All indications are that this wasn't their original plan.

It'll look a lot worse if the NX reveal and launch slip further, though (although I don't believe for a second that they're lying about their intent of making the March date; that makes no sense for a publicly traded company).

Davey Cakes

Probably, yes. This seems less like a move they want to make and more like a move they have to make.
I can actually agree with this, too.

They're taking a beating right now in order to bounce back later.

I will admit, I'm only interested in maybe a story trailer and a little bit of overview gameplay footage. I'm not going to watch some in-depth stream though. Absolutely not. I want to know SOME of what's going on with the game, but I want to go on blackout for the vast majority of it. Not sure what the appeal of a Treehouse stream is if we're only talking about a single game being the focus here.

Wolfie5

Zelda Treehouse stream starts at the hour their conference/digital event/direct usually starts.

I see, so it is an assumption. Not that it matters for me, as I am only interested in NX stuff and Zelda.

Since NX won't be at E3, that only leaves Zelda.

I do wonder when they will reveal NX. Could maybe be in August around the same time as Gamescom.

Seriously.. Do you think the management at Nintendo know how awful this is?

I wonder which scenario would be the worst?

1) Nintendo shows only Zelda Wii U at E3 2016, no NX and no NX games; NX launch games announced close to system launch, first big look at most NX titles at E3 2017

2) Nintendo reveals NX at E3 2016, along with NX launch games (March-June 2017); saves games launching after E3 2017 until after E3 2017

3) Nintendo reveals NX at E3 2016, along with most of the big games in the NX lineup for all of 2017; most of these games also make up the bulk of their lineup at E3 2017

My guesses for how each will go over:

1) People still have no fucking basis for anything coming to NX besides Zelda, a huge launch title for NX, which btw is still getting shown at E3 2016.

2) People see only the games launching for NX from March-June 2017. "NX has no games."

3) People are initially excited around E3 2016 about the games launching for NX in 2017. Then they see those same games at E3 2017. "NX has no games."

Well at least now we won't have those ridiculous hype train threads the real victims here are all the great GIFS that won't be made. It's utterly depressing!

udivision

I agree. It's not like they have another game in a longstanding series celebrating its anniversary this year to show off and build hype for. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Uh... they want to focus on a game people actually want to play.

I mean, in terms of games that absolutely shouldn't be the focus of an E3, you can't get much worse than Federation Force or Paper Mario, AKA the "Fan Backlash Twins".

Wouldn't option 1 still result in "NX has no games" since they would announce games that would then be talked about again several months later at E3?

Oh, oops.
If only Nintendo had the "rights" to Black Jack Pokemon.

I don't think that's completely their decision to make. TPC is weird.

They're apparently having a Direct on the 10th specifically for Sun and Moon, so there's that.

You'd think that they'd be able to work something out.

Imagine how baller a 1/2 Zelda 1/2 Pokemon anniversary supershow at E3 would be. But nope. They'll spend money on a Super Bowl commercial of all things but not on floor space/trailers/demos at the biggest industry event of the year during the 20th anniversary.

Wouldn't option 1 still result in "NX has no games" since they would announce games that would then be talked about again several months later at E3?

We don't know what form the actual NX reveal will take, and I seriously doubt we'd run into a situation where we get more than a quick tease of anything coming after E3 2017. At an E3-like event, the expectation is to have lots of stuff playable. NX would be under a lot more pressure to deliver that level of experience at any E3s it actually shows up to than it would be at an off-season event designed just to give us a taste of the future of the console.

1) Nintendo shows only Zelda Wii U at E3 2016, no NX and no NX games; NX launch games announced close to system launch, first big look at most NX titles at E3 2017

2) Nintendo reveals NX at E3 2016, along with NX launch games (March-June 2017); saves games launching after E3 2017 until after E3 2017

3) Nintendo reveals NX at E3 2016, along with most of the big games in the NX lineup for all of 2017; most of these games also make up the bulk of their lineup at E3 2017

1) People still have no fucking basis for anything coming to NX besides Zelda, a huge launch title for NX, which btw is still getting shown at E3 2016.

2) People see only the games launching for NX from March-June 2017. "NX has no games."

3) People are initially excited around E3 2016 about the games launching for NX in 2017. Then they see those same games at E3 2017. "NX has no games."

#3 was more or less how they handled the Wii and 3DS reveals, and I don't recall *that* much backlash over the dearth of new announcements at E3 2007 and 2011.

#2 is basically what they did (or tried to do, before numerous software delays) at E3 2012. I'd be fine with that, but if and only if the NX launch window lineup is much better than what they showed there.

hemo memo

Gold Member
How awful? I'm wondering if they think it's awful at all.

Then this is a bigger problem. Something is going on. No i'm not into doom and gloom but really I don't understand Nintendo anymore.

Bad all around.

#3 was more or less how they handled the Wii and 3DS reveals, and I don't recall *that* much backlash over the dearth of new announcements at E3 2007 and 2011.

Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, and other Wii launch games had a ton of force behind them.

And 3DS's two biggest games of 2011 weren't seen until 2011.

#2 is basically what they did (or tried to do, before numerous software delays) at E3 2012. I'd be fine with that, but if and only if the NX launch window lineup is much better than what they showed there.

I think inevitably what they're going to try to do is try to stack the launch window with games closer to the caliber of Wii's first few months, then do a 3DS-style stretch (revealing games like 3D Land and Mario Kart 7) to holiday 2017 and beyond, with cross-platform ports and other smaller games to fill out the year.

But I don't think they're ready to say what they can commit to NX's launch besides Zelda, hence why they aren't ready to spill the beans. I think once we close to about the same timeframe ahead of March that we're at now relative to the holidays, we'll start to see things coalesce.

udivision

We don't know what form the actual NX reveal will take, and I seriously doubt we'd run into a situation where we get more than a quick tease of anything coming after E3 2017. At an E3-like event, the expectation is to have lots of stuff playable. NX would be under a lot more pressure to deliver that level of experience at any E3s it actually shows up to than it would be at an off-season event designed just to give us a taste of the future of the console.

True, there are a lot of unknowns, but unless it launches with only exclusive games (is such a thing even possible) they're going to have to announce that, "Yes, XYZ game you saw at last E3 from third party ABC really are coming to the NX". This could take some punch out of a post-E3 NX reveal since those games would be "old news" in a way. This wouldn't exactly be an "NX has no games" situation, but it hurt the power of the reveal event.

NX being at 2016 would put more pressure on it, but at the same time third parties could actually help relieve some of the pressure with "also coming to NX" moments.

Assuming of course these games exist...

AdanVC

Even if I already accepted this shitty approach of Nintendo with E3 this year, I'm still kinda sad there's going to be like 75% less hype on GAF prior the stream than in previous years :( Those are one of my fave things of E3 and Nintendo somehow managed to even ruined that as well.

Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, and other Wii launch games had a ton of force behind them.

And 3DS's two biggest games of 2011 weren't seen until 2011.

They also revealed Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, and Brawl, among others, at E3 2006.

Mario 3D Land was actually announced a few months before E3, in Iwata's GDC keynote. Mario Kart was first shown at E3 2010, albeit in very early, non-playable form.

IIRC, the only new first-party 3DS game that was actually announced at E3 2011 was Luigi's Mansion.

True, there are a lot of unknowns, but unless it launches with only exclusive games (is such a thing even possible) they're going to have to announce that, "Yes, XYZ game you saw at last E3 from third party ABC really are coming to the NX".

They already have to do this if they want to get the likes of Call of Duty, Battlefield 5, Titanfall 2, etc.

Frankly, I don't see Nintendo getting lots of AAA Western third-party support anyway, in which case they still get lots of leverage with their Japanese and potentially indie partners to dominate the conversation about those partners' upcoming games.

Even if I already accepted this shitty approach of Nintendo with E3 this year, I'm still kinda sad there's going to be like 75% less hype on GAF prior the stream than in previous years :( Those are one of my fave things of E3 and Nintendo somehow managed to even ruined that as well.

Nintendo shut down the hype train

javac

I'm guessing that they'll have multiple kiosks with different demos of Zelda highlighting separate elements, probably timed too so people don't exhaust themselves on the game. Maybe the scenarios on display are tailored specifically for E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom