• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP deal is back (i7-6700, GTX 980Ti, 16GB, 2TB, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Trojan

Has anyone who bought this rig overclocked their 980ti yet? If so:
  • What speed did you overclock to?
  • What power supply do you have with it and has that been a limiter?
  • Have you checked the heat post-OC and was it concerning?
Looking into OC options and would love to hear from anyone who has already done some legwork.

EDIT: Did some research and you do NOT want to overclock your 980ti with that 500W power supply. I'm upgrading mine to an 850W and my get some extra cooling before I OC. That power supply is barely enough for the regular components as is and doing an OC could cause significant damage.

Now that a card that supposedly outclasses the 980Ti was announced at a price point of $379, I wonder if this deal is still worth it.

Zodzilla

Hmm, got this last month... and now debating restoring my pc and shipping it back and building a new one with the 1080 news. The price difference is killer!

edit: debate settled, literally one day past return policy. Oh well, will hold out for the 1080Ti. D'Oh!

usctrojan

I just got finished putting in a couple extra hard drives. That was a nightmare. I didn't think I was ever going to get those SATA cables in the motherboard. That brace for the graphics card was right in the way.

Besides the cable, was sliding them into the drive area and screwing them secure simple enough?

Was it a full sized HD or SSD that you installed? I want to add a storage drive but curious how simple the tray is to secure onto.

Stoze

Now that a card that supposedly outclasses the 980Ti was announced at a price point of $379, I wonder if this deal is still worth it.

Yeah...probably not. Unless you can't wait till early June and you don't want to build your own PC. Though a real kick to the balls would be if they offer the new cards in this deal in the next couple months.

Gotta admit, it's definitely making me question if I should try a return/refund. At the same time though I'm not sure if I really care that much.

B.K.

Besides the cable, was sliding them into the drive area and screwing them secure simple enough?

I couldn't figure out how to get them screwed in. They st in there simply enough, but I couldn't get anything aligned to put screws in to secure the drives. The horrible instructions on the side of the panel that comes off makes it look like they just sit in there.

Was it a full sized HD or SSD that you installed? I want to add a storage drive but curious how simple the tray is to secure onto.

3.5" HDD.

Yeah...probably not. Unless you can't wait till early June and you don't want to build your own PC. Though a real kick to the balls would be if they offer the new cards in this deal in the next couple months.

Gotta admit, it's definitely making me question if I should try a return/refund. At the same time though I'm not sure if I really care that much.

Yeah I'm thinking about it as well. I've got about 7 days left in the window. Decisions, decisions...

Just sent mine in for repairs...might return it when it comes back now lol. Unless I can sell off the 390x I got with it for close to the 1070 price

Yeah I'm thinking about it as well. I've got about 7 days left in the window. Decisions, decisions...

lol, tough decision. I need to figure out what I can get selling this 980ti and buying new, vs rebuilding an entire PC with the 1080. Then I could wait it out, as this card is killing everything I've thrown at it.

Trojan

Are you guys serious? It's a good deal regardless...just because the new GPUs got announced doesn't mean a 980ti is suddenly trash. Also factor in that card prices for the 980ti won't drop for a while and availability of the new cards upon release isn't a given. This rig has been dominating everything I throw at it and it will be top tier for another couple years if you got the best components.

Are you guys serious? It's a good deal regardless...just because the new GPUs got announced doesn't mean a 980ti is suddenly trash. Also factor in that card prices for the 980ti won't drop for a while and availability of the new cards upon release isn't a given. This rig has been dominating everything I throw at it and it will be top tier for another couple years if you got the best components.

Yeah I have been noticing people started treating the 980 ti like it out of date now lol . I still play a lot of games at UHD 60 like Overwatch, KI and Forza Apex. Basically I will probably Get a 1080 and swap out the 980 ti eventually but it might be end of this year or next but until I see some comparisons I won't be tripping over myself to get a 1080

Stoze

I never said it was suddenly trash. The 980ti is an excellent, top of the line card. It's about price dude. Although specific benchmarks aren't out yet, 1070 will probably be comparable in performance and it is literally half the price of the 980ti. Which means if you wait until June, you could build something that beats this deal in price significantly.

It's something to consider for those of us who can still return refund, but otherwise not worth worrying about.

neonglow

For some people, this is their first high end computer so they'd want everything to be the best. Seeing a better graphic cards just takes off a little of the shine.

Everything about the new 1070/1080 is hyped right now but I think once benchmarks come out, it won't look nearly as impressive. In the main announcement thread, people were saying NVIDIA always skews their numbers to make it more impressive. The 1070 is likely equivalent to the 980ti and the 1080 will probably be 30% better.

neonglow

I never said it was suddenly trash. The 980ti is an excellent, top of the line card. It's about price dude. Although specific benchmarks aren't out yet, 1070 will probably be comparable in performance and it is literally half the price of the 980ti. Which means if you wait until June, you could build something that beats this deal in price significantly.

It's something to consider for those of us who can still return refund, but otherwise not worth worrying about.

One way to look at it was that the 980ti was a $580 option. If you factor in the 30% discount, it cost us $406 which isn't that much more than a 1070 and we get to use it several months earlier.

Stoze

One way to look at it was that the 980ti was a $580 option. If you factor in the 30% discount, it cost us $406 which isn't that much more than a 1070 and we get to use it several months earlier.

This is true and ultimately why I'm probably not going to do anything. But would you recommend doing the deal now for those who haven't, especially those who don't mind building their own PC or waiting a month?

Also it's not like we immediately shipped our shit back or sold it at the sight of the announcement, we're just contemplating here guys.

neonglow

This is true and ultimately why I'm probably not going to do anything. But would you recommend doing the deal now for those who haven't, especially those who don't mind building their own PC or waiting a month?

Also it's not like we immediately shipped our shit back or sold it at the sight of the announcement, we're just contemplating here guys.

For people that already ordered, it probably isn't worth the hassle of returning it.

For people that are thinking about this deal, it'll depend on when they want a gaming PC. From the other thread, it sounds like these new graphic cards will be supplied constrained. It could be several months before they're readily available so you're looking at August/September. Then you have to wait for HP to offer this deal again with an upgraded graphics card which could be some more months.

By then it'll only be a couple more months before the 1080ti gets revealed in 2017. There's always going to be a new hotness around the corner so up to each person to decide when they want to jump aboard.

Bigrx1

Banned
Even with the 1080 announcement I'm happy with this rig. Altogether I paid 1300 dollars for a machine that can play every game I own at 1440 maxed close to or above 60 fps. So I'll probably wait for a few cards down the line from the 1080 before upgrading. And this thing looks simple enough to pop out the old video card and in with the new. Hell even an MSI gaming laptop will run you 1800 and up for a 970m card so 1300 for this thing? I'll keep it.

I was kind of looking at it this way myself. I can't see the price I paid being much more than I would of and I got it months earlier. Plus I honestly think the only reason this deal was the way it was cause nobody would want a 980 ti any more after this announcement. A rig with a 1070 feels like will come with a price hike just because HP wants to.

Trojan

Fair enough, I can understand wanting to maximize what you're getting. The question is probably around whether you really need the bleeding edge card. If you're not going to be maxing it out, the HP deal is a steal for just about everything else you will run. Also consider that you can OC your 980ti down the road and get about a 15-20% performance boost, and if you also got the K series processor you could OC that too.

Oh man! I'm one of those fence sitters, I've subscribed to this thread for almost two months now. I even ordered this thing and canceled it within hours because, I forgot to upgrade to the K variant CPU on checkout.

I was also pathetic enough to get a supervisor on the phone for an hour, from HP Sales staff to try to see if he can sell me the PC 30% off after the sale ended.

Anyhoo, I guess I need your advice guys, shall I sit a little longer and just see it I can get my hands on one of these new cards? I can't wait too long though. (Early July latest) So if there's going to be shortage of the new cards, That would suck...
Also it's worth to consider I'm in Canada, where we get shafted often with price and availability when it comes to brand new tech. (Computer, mobile phones etc. )
(I will still get it shipped to my cousin's place in New Jersey though)
Also being in Canada this was costing me around $1,700 Canadian dollars after taxes and fees.

I'm not in too much rush to buy a PC. But I'm also Not into building my own. But since GAF has a strong community. I have confidence I can get enough direction and support to build my own.

What say you guys? Bite or stay seated on the fence?

This is still very tempting and a great deal. I can buy it now and always try to sell the 980ti to make up for (most) of the price of a 1070, 1080?

I'm guessing, like mentioned above. It will all be a quick swap? No incompatibility issues?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You're not selling a 980Ti for anything to cover the price of a 1070/80. Why would anyone buy your used gpu for a newer, better model? Probably better to get the 970 in the deal and use the upgrade money toward a Pascal. Yes, just swap the gpu. Make sure you get a proper power supply.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I mean, eBay would show to the contrary. Will you be propagating your delusion in every thread that has a whisper of a mention of a 980Ti?
Ebay shows contrary to the news released like 30 hours ago? Wow, who would have thought!

Why do you have to make things personal? Are your feelings hurt? Don't worry, buddy, you can rip off an unknowing gaffer to fund your new 1080. I won't interfere.

So how's the cooling in this thing? I've perused some of the thread and happened upon some posts/pics that helped me gauge things, but I want specifics from those that have it: how many fans does the case support? How many fan headers does the mobo have? The included fan(s?) is a 92mm? Is that the only supported size?

Thanks for the help!

Wilde

So Ebates 15% cash back promo is back again:
http://www.ebates.com/coupons/hp-home/index.htm

That would bring thing deal down to around $1100 for this set-up after cash back:

030t39F.jpg

Even with the 1070/1080 right around the corner, this is still a pretty great deal right? $1100 for a PC with a 980ti and a 6700k still seems like a steal.

How much do you think you could sell a 980ti for once the 1080 is relased?

So Ebates 15% cash back promo is back again:
http://www.ebates.com/coupons/hp-home/index.htm

That would bring thing deal down to around $1100 for this set-up after cash back:

Even with the 1070/1080 right around the corner, this is still a pretty great deal right? $1100 for a PC with a 980ti and a 6700k still seems like a steal.

How much do you think you could sell a 980ti for once the 1080 is relased?

Newegg_Build.png

So this is where I am at with my build (I already have a HHD, W10). I currently have the deal from HP and I am looking to make the return. It's not going to be as cheap, but this gives you an idea of how close you can get. I actually saved another $25 because of tips from another Gaffer. This ended up being $700, and that's tax free/free shipping. If the 1070 is indeed as fast/faster than the Titan X/980ti, then you may be better off going this route. IDK.

I've heard people talking around 300-350 for their 980ti's, but you can watch our B/S/T forum to see prices. Those will change wildly when we get actual benchmarks. If the 1070 is actually faster, then those prices could really drop.

Wilde

Newegg_Build.png

So this is where I am at with my build (I already have a HHD, W10). I currently have the deal from HP and I am looking to make the return. It's not going to be as cheap, but this gives you an idea of how close you can get. I actually saved another $25 because of tips from another Gaffer. This ended up being $700, and that's tax free/free shipping. If the 1070 is indeed as fast/faster than the Titan X/980ti, then you may be better off going this route. IDK.

I've heard people talking around 300-350 for their 980ti's, but you can watch our B/S/T forum to see prices. Those will change wildly when we get actual benchmarks. If the 1070 is actually faster, then those prices could really drop.

Thanks, it's such a tough call. The main reason I'm having a hard time waiting is that I just received my HTC Vive, but right now I don't have a PC that can run it, and I'm dying to try it!

So I'm deciding between jumping on this deal, which is still plenty powerful, and I could use the Vive now, or waiting another month for the new cards to be released and building my own PC.

I've also never actually built a PC before, but I think custom building one for VR would be a fun time to start.

Namikaze

I've been play overwatch on this thing at max settings and I'm seeing 83C for the temp using the in game "show framerate etc" option. That can't be good, can it? The fan definitely speeds up and the computer seems fine (it's quieter than my old PS4 under load) but I'm worried that I'll burn this thing out in a year or two.

Stall19

I've been play overwatch on this thing at max settings and I'm seeing 83C for the temp using the in game "show framerate etc" option. That can't be good, can it? The fan definitely speeds up and the computer seems fine (it's quieter than my old PS4 under load) but I'm worried that I'll burn this thing out in a year or two.

Just have to use msi afterburner to change the fan settings.

Thanks, do I need to download that or does it come preinstalled on the PC? I'm completely new to modern PC gaming, haven't had a PC as my primary system in over a decade..

Download it. There are fan setting in this thread. I don't ever get above 70C, playing this or anything really. I have had a few shutdowns from BF4 which I haven't been able to diagnose yet.

Thanks, do I need to download that or does it come preinstalled on the PC? I'm completely new to modern PC gaming, haven't had a PC as my primary system in over a decade..

You can download it here. If you go back in this thread towards the beginning, there's a good example of a custom fan curve you can set for the 980ti.

Stoze

This is what I was saying. With that ebates rebate the HP is still probably gonna be about $100 cheaper overall, but like you said it'll be close and you'd be getting some better components (better case, better powersupply, etc). I think it ultimately depends on how close the 1070 is to 980ti and if they are actually in decent supply come mid June, and if you don't mind building a custom PC.

Here's the thing though, and ultimately why I decided not to refund or return; every 2 months or so something is gonna drop in price and you'll always be finding a similar build for $100 less, it's a never ending cycle. Hell, this HP deal could come up later say in Sept with the 1070 included and then people who build a custom 1070 PC in the summer would feel some regret because they didn't wait a month or two. That's how it works, neonglow made a great response to me up above concerning this.

i actually canceled mine.

i heard the build components are not high quality and people ran into issues down the road. also heard HP's customer service is terrible and a hassle in an event an issue occurs.

Though if they offer this deal again in the future with the 1070/1080 i might jump aboard.

This is what I was saying. With that ebates rebate the HP is still probably gonna be about $100 cheaper overall, but like you said it'll be close and you'd be getting some better components (better case, better powersupply, etc). I think it ultimately depends on how close the 1070 is to 980ti and if they are actually in decent supply come mid June, and if you don't mind building a custom PC.

Here's the thing though, and ultimately why I decided not to refund or return; every 2 months or so something is gonna drop in price and you'll always be finding a similar build for $100 less, it's a never ending cycle. Hell, this HP deal could come up later say in Sept with the 1070 included and then people who build a custom 1070 PC in the summer would feel some regret because they didn't wait a month or two. That's how it works, neonglow made a great response to me up above about this concerning this.

Yep. I made the decision because I wanted something that I had a little more control over, was more upgrade-able, and that I'd end up with a slightly more future-proof system. Once I got that PC gaming bug back, inspired by the HP, I decided it'd be fun to do it all myself. The new cards from Nvidia were just a kick in the butt to get me moving. This will end up costing me about $100 more than I originally spent from HP (i didn't get the ebates deal) and I think the pros more than justified it for me. I can completely understand the decisions of everyone else though. The 1 year warranty from HP is also a good benefit of going that direction. If something happens, you can just send it back.

Namikaze

Download it. There are fan setting in this thread. I don't ever get above 70C, playing this or anything really. I have had a few shutdowns from BF4 which I haven't been able to diagnose yet.

You can download it here. If you go back in this thread towards the beginning, there's a good example of a custom fan curve you can set for the 980ti.

Thanks guys, I downloaded the app and checked out earlier posts in the thread. All I've done so far is set the fan so that it keeps the CPU at 70C which is close to one post I saw in the first few pages. It's definitely louder but the temps are (obviously) significantly lower. Is there anything else I should do?

Bboy AJ

So... you pretty much replace the entire PC? How does that contribute anything to this thread?
...have you ever built a pc? Those two things aren't that expensive, either.

Bigrx1

Banned
I saw a bit of heat issue/throttling right when I got the system a couple weeks ago, but after adding in a custom curve with MSI afterburner it's been fine. I was a bit more aggressive with the curve than I usually am, but it keeps it certainly below the throttling/damage temperatures under any conditions I've seen so far. The fans might wear out slightly earlier, but I figure that's an ideal alternative to frying my system or having shitty performance.

This has been my same experience. I was really hesitant about getting this with the 500w power supply and cheap price (so assuming fairly cheap design and cooling set up). High temps for me initially, then with Afterburner made my own fan curve and haven't had an issue since. I've had it for over 3 weeks now and the only time I've had a single problem was a crash when the gpu temp got to 84C, but after that happened realized I didn't have my fan curve on - so it was my fault on that one. Literally zero issues otherwise in any game or benchmark I've run. I feel confident the 500w supply is fine based on my own experience.

For me I'm happy so far - I'm not looking at this as a 5 year pc though, so for 1300 bucks I'm fine with it lasting 2-3 years, then I could go bigger with the next technology cards after Pascal with a higher quality cooling set up and design for 3k+ price.

shangolin

Banned
So I officially didn't get a code for the Division. Email support said the deal was "while supplies last" and they ran out of supplies. Uh huh.

So I officially didn't get a code for the Division. Email support said the deal was "while supplies last" and they ran out of supplies. Uh huh.

So I got my pc and clean install all done. :)
About how long did it take for people to get the division codes?

Not to blow up anyone's spots, but it seemed like everyone who ordered mid-Aprilish? Got codes, not anyone else.

I could be wrong, but from what I could suss out in this thread, that seemed to be the case.

Top Bottom