• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subnautica |Early Access| Dive into an alien ocean of danger and beauty

Aselith

I dunno use the ingame feedback and send them your specs I reckon. Just hit F8 to bring up the form.

Maybe try verifying integrity of the cache on Steam too just in case.

You might also try moving to the experimental branch in the beta options on Steam and see if it runs better. I mean the stable version is more likely to run better but possibly it could help if nothing else does.

First seamoth blows up instantly from an exploding fish, second I had to abandon really far out from the base. Now onto the third!

Wish I could find the moon pool blueprints so I can actually upgrade these things.

It took me a while to get into this, but I started having a blast once I did. I built a scanner on my second playthrough and then spent about 2 hours just swimming around scanning stuff.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Bought this for the VR support. I know it is still not that polished in the VR department but I'm pretty used to that.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Odrion

Banned
What I played of it back in December was blissful, I didn't think exploring a whole ocean would be so captivating.

Tesseract

Banned
I've only played around for an hour orso and it's been great, the exploring has been more engaging than any other survival sim I've played.

There is one big caveat though, I for the life of me can't get the game to stay at an acceptable framerate, regardless of what settings I select - weirdly enough the lower the settings the worse the performance. I get massive fps drops from 140 down to 20 for no apparent reason, it wouldn't be bothersome if it happened once every while, but at the moment it's constantly swinging
Using a 980ti, 4960k, 1440p, installed on an ssd.

weird, might be a renderer thing

max is known to slip in (or out) optimizations on a whim, ever the rebel

MoonGred

weird, might be a renderer thing

max is known to slip in (or out) optimizations on a whim, ever the rebel

Yea it does seem to be a rendering thing. After playing around with it some more last night it seemed that recommended settings looks nicer in certain scenarios, especially at dusk.

Does anyone know how to enable mouse controls in the dev options when you hit f3?

Not true. Co-op will very likely happen, it just hasn't been 100% confirmed yet. ..and it's a long way away.

I've posted about it several times in this thread.

Ah. Last I heard they said "we'd love to, but it's not on the table at all right now until release", and that they were going to decide if they should hire someone to work on a new version of the game with co-op, like the 2nd version of Don't Starve Together.

Source

Which to me translates very clearly into no multiplayer in Subnautica.

RK9039

So the further you go from the life pod the deeper it gets, I saw some giant squid thing.

giphy.gif

I think I need to read about how to get the various resources, I'm a bit lost atm.

FaintDeftone

This game is the embodiment of my deepest fears

Yep.

The game looks cool, but giant underwater monsters always freaked me out in video games. This game looks like it would give me a heart attack. I still get nervous in Clanker's Cavern in Banjo Kazooie.

I love this game to death. Sadly with one of the latest updates, it won't work for me anymore and just crashes to desktop. :/ I'll have to figure out what the issue is.

I think I need to read about how to get the various resources, I'm a bit lost atm.

I spent so much time dinking around but for life of me I can't progress lol.

What exactly do you have an issue with? I'd be glad to give some pointers - though the big part about this game is of course the exploration.

Sarcasm

I love this game to death. Sadly with one of the latest updates, it won't work for me anymore and just crashes to desktop. :/ I'll have to figure out what the issue is.

What exactly do you have an issue with? I'd be glad to give some pointers - though the big part about this game is of course the exploration.

That is it I was just exploring. Though got my inventory full many times. Went back crafted whatever I could ><

Is there a quick like spoiler free jumpstart guide? lol

LaneDS

Really debating if I should buy this for VR

I expect proper VR support to come in the future, but after tinkering with it last night it didn't much care for the DK2 with the latest SDK (would display, but head tracking wasn't working). Also the performance is still too inconsistent for VR (on a 980ti), but I expect that'll get fixed eventually.

The game itself though, man, yes it would be very cool with VR (partly why I bought it, so I can be as absolutely terrified as possible).

That is it I was just exploring. Though got my inventory full many times. Went back crafted whatever I could ><

Is there a quick like spoiler free jumpstart guide? lol

Depends on what you consider spoilers I guess heh.

But a few tips: The lifepod has a storage locker in which you can find some goodies (and also store stuff in). Silver and Gold is in Sandstone, which will not spawn on walls and only on sandy ground, but you'll have to venture beyond the first area to find it. Some crafting recipes only appear if you have a component for it in your inventory.

Raist

Banned
Got it with the Sale and played around for a couple of days.

I like it overall, and can't wait to see new updates. It doesn't seem extremely challenging though, and I think the fact that the map is fixed might really decrease the replay value.
The amount of pop in is insane though.

There are a couple of game breaking bugs though:

- medkit fabricator: doesn't cost anything to make, spawns with a medkit ready to use soooo..... build, take medkit, deconstruct, rinse and repeat :/

- eggs: Don't know if I did anything special to have that happened, but I dropped a bunch of them in a large aquarium, and they never hatched. So I thought it wasn't implemented or something yet. I picked them back up and dropped them again, a fish spawned and the egg was still there. Sooo... infinite amount of fish yay.

I've been enjoying the game each update quite a bit. I find that while the framerate does drop considerably at times, it's generally a result of the game loading new 'chunks' of the world.

Can't wait for the story to develop further, there's definitely quite a few hints of intrigue here and there.

- eggs: Don't know if I did anything special to have that happened, but I dropped a bunch of them in a large aquarium, and they never hatched. So I thought it wasn't implemented or something yet. I picked them back up and dropped them again, a fish spawned and the egg was still there. Sooo... infinite amount of fish yay.

The eggs are not used for fish breeding, they're used for an upcoming feature (DNA scans).

Edit: Actually, some eggs can hatch apparently. But not all. So it depends on what kind of egg you dropped in your aquarium.

I realllly want to play this but I don't want to spoil myself on it until it's completely done.

If you want to play it now, it is the best time without spoiling anything. The story is still barebones, and there's only a few hints of the deeper lore live yet. So I suggest grabbing and playing it now while the story component is still in its early stages.

- medkit fabricator: doesn't cost anything to make, spawns with a medkit ready to use soooo..... build, take medkit, deconstruct, rinse and repeat :/

Or you can just make lots of medkit fabricators. I have like 3 in my base. Only 3 since I don't really need to worry about health in the first place. Feel like the fabricator is only supposed to be something in your initial lifepod since the medkit recipe is still there.

Hanging Fruit trees are OP though. One tree can make like 15+ fruits which give +13 Food and +11 H2O. So you can just plant one, harvest fruits, use fruits to plant more trees in other mini bases around the map. No more scrounging for salt and fish.

Been playing all day and finally got the Cyclops built. Got seamoth all decked out with modules which is real nice. Moonpool to charge seamoth is really cool too so I can save power cells for the Cyclops. Unfortunately for this version, the Cyclops is pretty much the endgame prize and once you get it, there's nothing really to do except taunt Reaper Leviathans.

Elandyll

Banned
Nice, been waiting for the machinery update.
Hopefully I don't need to restart a game from scratch, have already done so 4 or 5 times at this point.

Really looking forward to more story based elements, checked again the game mid April after a 4 months hiatus, and was pleasantly surprised by the addition of abandonned bases and pdas with a story to uncover.

Really hope it'll come to PS4 quickly (supposedly coming a month or 2 after the start of early access on XB1 -if- it's successful, it seems the devs met with Sony at GDC), as my kids want to play it but I'm not handing my $1700 laptop to them hehe.

drotahorror

Got a 6700k now. Can finally play this without horrible frame drops. Did have a i5 2500.

It's been SO long since I've booted this game up.

wipeout364

I bought it on Xbox one and played a couple of hours. It's ok the game looks good but the frame rate is pretty rough. I actually don't care much about frame rates generally so if I noticed it and felt it detracted from the game some people on gaf are going have heart attacks.

Stiler

So I picked up this game on the steam sale and I really want to get into it but having some issues.

First, is there no 5.1 audio in this game? I had to turn my sound quality to 44,100hz cause the sound would cut off completely if I left it at 192,000hz. However I am getting 0 sound out of my rear or center speaker, just stereo.

Secondly, is there no way to change individual graphical details? Only a simple minimal/recommend/highest setting?

On a 2600k/780 oc I get terrible performance. Like literally movement is choppy as heck, even at recommend settings. Just constant stuttering and choppyness as I move around..

It'd be extremely helpful if you could actually tweak the grpahics, turn shadow details lower or lower AA and other things that can give you a big fps boost usually, but I can't for the life of me find anything about that in the options.

Top Bottom