• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

h#shdem0n

Has anyone played System Shock 2 or Deus Ex with one? That's the main reason I'd buy it--for legacy games and indies that don't come to console so there's no native controller support.

Crayon

Has anyone played System Shock 2 or Deus Ex with one? That's the main reason I'd buy it--for legacy games and indies that don't come to console so there's no native controller support.

Not me but I have played quake and half life 1 which have that old raw-mouse feeling and it can be made to work with a little careful tuning.

I've been playing The Witcher Enhanced Edition with the Steam Controller and I reckon I'm having more fun with it than when I first played it!

Even though the combat is a bit dumb, the whole game feels better with the over-the-shoulder camera (pretty sure I played this first time through with KB/M too) and the Steam Controller.

belmonkey

Mouse smoothing should be off for fps games right? Never worried too much about it in games, but usually left it at default or max because "smoothness". I tried turning it off in Wow and the mouse felt slightly more snappy. Is that best if I want to fare better with aiming in something like Counter Strike?

riflen

Mouse smoothing should be off for fps games right? Never worried too much about it in games, but usually left it at default or max because "smoothness". I tried turning it off in Wow and the mouse felt slightly more snappy. Is that best if I want to fare better with aiming in something like Counter Strike?

Smoothing runs your input through an algorithm that adds values to make the output more linear. The result is a less stuttery feel. The downside is added latency. Smoothing on 0 is the only way I use the controller. It's analogous to raw mouse input.

Smoothing runs your input through an algorithm that adds values to make the output more linear. The result is a less stuttery feel. The downside is added latency. Smoothing on 0 is the only way I use the controller. It's analogous to raw mouse input.

I actually can't stand that stutter so much that I use smoothing. Too bad about the latency, but I hate a game that's running a smooth 60 feel like shit because of stutter.

belmonkey

Woo, it was only my first try with a decent controller configuration, but I seem to be able to heal WoW heroic Pandaria dungeons alright with healbot (when people don't run away from the healing). Just need gyro to hover over names and a touch menu for healing spells. I personally think the controller is better for WoW than m + kb : p

Nabs

June Update

"We’re excited to announce that over half a million Steam Controllers have been sold."

Coming soon: Even more configuration power
You will soon be able to use Activators to assign actions to press-and-hold, double click, toggle and more. For example, in DOOM you can cycle through all weapons by pressing a button or double tap it to bring up your BFG.

We'll continue to add features and functionality going forward, so be sure to keep giving us feedback on what would make the Steam Controller even better.

------

Also: Gamestop (US) has the Steam Controller on sale for $35 right now.

Unai

June Update

"We’re excited to announce that over half a million Steam Controllers have been sold."

You will soon be able to use Activators to assign actions to press-and-hold, double click, toggle and more. For example, in DOOM you can cycle through all weapons by pressing a button or double tap it to bring up your BFG.

We'll continue to add features and functionality going forward, so be sure to keep giving us feedback on what would make the Steam Controller even better.

------

Great news. Thins little thing keeps getting better and better.

atr0cious

June Update

------

I can finally play hitman properly, thank you. Can't wait to rethink my old configs.

shockdude

Instead of trying to convince you, I'll let you decide for yourself.

Darius Burst: Chronicle Saviours being played using the Steam Controller.

This is with the analog stick set to the directional pad using high haptics and 75% deadzone. It's my preferred method for playing this game and other 2D games with the Steam Controller. I've been able to clear the easy route on a single credit. I'm no expert at the game, however, so take that into consideration.

Also, I totally recorded this at the default 21:9 aspect ratio of my monitor. I have no idea if it looks right on 16:9. I assume it does because YouTube usually does convert it back properly, but I apologize if the aspect ratio is messed up. The game itself is 32:9 aspect.
I tried playing some shmups with this configuration. It's pretty cool, but the throw of the thumbstick is way too huge for my taste, regardless of the size of the deadzone.
That being said, if there was a mod to add a "square gate" or "octagon gate" around the thumbstick to reduce the throw, that'd be amazing.

Weevilone

Has anyone tried to obtain an extra little USB dongle for the controller? I snapped mine in half last night when I flipped my PC on its side.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Has anyone tried to obtain an extra little USB dongle for the controller? I snapped mine in half last night when I flipped my PC on its side.

I have. Just contact steam support and be ready to give them a picture of the dongle. They'll send you out a new one for free.

Sophia

I tried playing some shmups with this configuration. It's pretty cool, but the throw of the thumbstick is way too huge for my taste, regardless of the size of the deadzone.
That being said, if there was a mod to add a "square gate" or "octagon gate" around the thumbstick to reduce the throw, that'd be amazing.

Yeah, I'd really love to see more options for haptic feedback and directional pad usage. There's a lot of potential there within software updates alone if we could just get more control over how things like that. I'm not sure the extent to what is possible, but I'd like to see something beyond "low/medium/high."

June Update

------

And THIS will be a blessing for basically any game with secondary menu functions.

I prefer lowering it ten ticks from the default in shooters, and setting sens high enough to do a 180 degree turn from the left side to the right side. The trackpad is a nice mouse substitute, if you fine tune it and give it time.

June Update

------

I was just talking about the idea of this exact feature a few pages back, thank goodness it's coming. Wish this was available earlier, as it would've helped me out in a few games I've finished since. Better late than never, though!

Also, it seems to be on sale through Steam as well. I'm feeling like it's time to buy a second one, so this is good timing. Anyone know if two SCs work nicely with L4D2's buried split-screen support?

impact

Banned
I'm so glad this thread got bumped. I just bought a Steam Controller and I've noticed that the reactions to it are pretty polarized. Some people say it's the best controller to ever be created, and others say it's just pure garbage.

I'm wondering if I should maybe cancel my order.

I generally play with a DS4, but I have to use it wired, because all the softwares I've tested that connect it with bluetooth aren't precise enough. It's honestly unplayable unless it's a turn based strategy game or something.

What makes me want the SC are the seemingly infinite possibilities of customizations. And of course the fact that I'd be able to play a wider variety of games from my couch.

But yeah, as someone who mostly plays 2D game, using heavily the dpad, I wonder if that's the right choice.

I've seen lots of videos and stuff, but it's always better to hear it from GAF, help me GAF.

Do not get the Steam Controller....

It's good, but I switch to a different pad for 2D stuff. There's no real dpad on it so unless you like analog sticks for 2D games (yuck), avoid.

Unai

I prefer lowering it ten ticks from the default in shooters, and setting sens high enough to do a 180 degree turn from the left side to the right side. The trackpad is a nice mouse substitute, if you fine tune it and give it time.

I was just talking about the idea of this exact feature a few pages back, thank goodness it's coming. Wish this was available earlier, as it would've helped me out in a few games I've finished since. Better late than never, though!

Also, it seems to be on sale through Steam as well. I'm feeling like it's time to buy a second one, so this is good timing. Anyone know if two SCs work nicely with L4D2's buried split-screen support?

Keep in mind that there's a revision coming.

Anyone able to get American Truck Simulator working with the Steam Controller? I've got the official config loaded buy only the track pads and buttons work, none of the triggers or bumpers work.

Sophia

I'm using always on gyro for Overwatch now. It solved the problem with frantically trying to aim Zarya's primary attack in a hurry as now I can just let the gyro handle it.

Gyro continues to be the secret best feature of the controller.

I just picked up one of these and helped my friend setup his computer for couch/bed gaming as he is really sick. After getting windows 10 picture gesture login on, and setting up his PC on his TV he can literally do everything on his PC between the steam controller, speech to text and Cortana. He's not so sick he can't stand up and use the keyboard mouse, but he's in enough pain its extremely inconvenient for him. We just played Total War: Warhammer for almost three hours. Without this controller that never would have happened, he would have been taking breaks every 15 minutes because of the pain not to mention there's no way he could play TW with his Xbox One or PS4 controller effectively.

It's a seriously amazing controller. I want to pick one up considering you can get one for $35. But knowing the revision is coming I may hold off. I have an Xbox Elite controller and this thing is simply just better because of the accuracy/capabilities of the trackpads and the inability to use the paddles on the Elite for PC. I would love a premium version of it, but honestly it's still great. It's currently $35 at Gamestop for either the link or controller.

Jinkies

I really like seeing these kinds of stories. :)

Valve should try to make more people aware that this is the best controller for those with special physical needs. Naughty Dog made the news (and rightfully so) for an accessibility feature in Uncharted 4 that is simply one of this controller's hundreds of settings, which can be used across many thousands of games.

Not only is this helpful for gamers of all needs, it perfectly exemplifies the empowerment provided by the controller and its software.

I really like seeing these kinds of stories. :)

Valve should try to make more people aware that this is the best controller for those with special physical needs. Naughty Dog made the news (and rightfully so) for an accessibility feature in Uncharted 4 that is simply one of this controller's hundreds of settings, which can be used across many thousands of games.

Not only is this helpful for gamers of all needs, it perfectly exemplifies the empowered provided by the controller and its software.

Definitely. It is hands down the most precise and adaptable/customizable controller I've ever touched including my insane Hotus controller. Prior to playing with my buddies controller during setup I had been on the "My 360/Xbone/PS4 controller are the best, this looks weird and what I have works just fine without hassle." My perception changed drastically after the first 30 minutes when I started to get the hang of it.

The only issue is my friend isn't the most tech savvy person and hardly a tinkerer. He's very much a plug and play console gamer, and has been most his life. I built him a PC two years ago after convincing him that it could function like a console. Irony is he refused to use it like a console for the longest time, I think for him it was like giving up some of the last bit of freedom he had. So it was a mental block that I've been trying to get him over for a long time. Using that energy he exerted by having to sit at an uncomfortable desk for him is better used on Physical therapy or basic exercises. He finally let me do this after I kept harping at him for like a week straight and offered to buy the controller.

The issue I think for many is it's kind of daunting. Going into the settings and seeing all the available options for me was exciting, seeing that they are constantly adding more functionality is fantastic. The upcoming button specific turbo mode (Continuous input presses while holding) or key change depending on how you press the buttons is a huge deal to me after buying my Elite controller for extra functionality on PC gaming with a controller. My friend on the other hand was clearly daunted, if I hadn't been there helping him get used to it for a few hours he probably would have given up. I foresee him really struggling with getting used to stetting up and downloading profiles for different games. However, setting it up made it all worth it. He actually cried after playing our first game together on TW. I didn't realize how hard he had been trying to play PC games with me and how freeing this was for him.

Btw. I definitely used the hold to repeat button push option in Uncharted 4 after seeing that video.

I felt like disabling smoothing altogether tonight, and giving it a shot in some FPS games. Gosh, what a world of a difference! You don't realize how much smoothing muds up the trackpad until you get rid of it.

I've also started to lean towards low acceleration. I think it works pretty well with the trackpad. You need to make heavier thumb movements without it, which was actually hurting my thumb a bit. Am I alone on this?

I just picked up one of these and helped my friend setup his computer for couch/bed gaming as he is really sick. After getting windows 10 picture gesture login on, and setting up his PC on his TV he can literally do everything on his PC between the steam controller, speech to text and Cortana. He's not so sick he can't stand up and use the keyboard mouse, but he's in enough pain its extremely inconvenient for him. We just played Total War: Warhammer for almost three hours. Without this controller that never would have happened, he would have been taking breaks every 15 minutes because of the pain not to mention there's no way he could play TW with his Xbox One or PS4 controller effectively.

It's a seriously amazing controller. I want to pick one up considering you can get one for $35. But knowing the revision is coming I may hold off. I have an Xbox Elite controller and this thing is simply just better because of the accuracy/capabilities of the trackpads and the inability to use the paddles on the Elite for PC. I would love a premium version of it, but honestly it's still great. It's currently $35 at Gamestop for either the link or controller.
Gotta second Jinkies on this. I recall reading a similar story involving Skyrim earlier this year, and it made me smile, as did this. Also, as a side note, unless it was too big for your hands, there's nothing wrong with the current design. Plus who knows when the revision is happening. I'd recommend going for the current version, but it's up to you.

I felt like disabling smoothing altogether tonight, and giving it a shot in some FPS games. Gosh, what a world of a difference! You don't realize how much smoothing muds up the trackpad until you get rid of it.

I've also started to lean towards low acceleration. I think it works pretty well with the trackpad. You need to make heavier thumb movements without it, which was actually hurting my thumb a bit. Am I alone on this?

Gotta second Jinkies on this. I recall reading a similar story involving Skyrim earlier this year, and it made me smile, as did this. Also, as a side note, unless it was too big for your hands, there's nothing wrong with the current design. Plus who knows when the revision is happening. I'd recommend going for the current version, but it's up to you.

For $35. Why the hell not, always good to have an extra controller around anyway.

I'm using always on gyro for Overwatch now. It solved the problem with frantically trying to aim Zarya's primary attack in a hurry as now I can just let the gyro handle it.

Gyro continues to be the secret best feature of the controller.

I've got gyro enabled in Overwatch but I always forget to use it! Still need to get used to having it - I always have a hard time with Zarya aiming though so this should be a good try

For those of you who use gyro in FPS, what is your control style like? Do you use the touch pad for navigation only and do all of your aiming with the gyro, or do you use the pad to target an enemy and then adjust with the gyro? Something in between? How high do you go with your sensitivity?

I've played Fallout 4 with just the touch pad and feel pretty comfortable with that, but I'm looking to improve my aim to fare better in online shooters. I need to put in some practice with the gyro and I'm wondering what others have found works for them.

Red

I use the touch pads for most movement and fine tune with the gyro. Usually I have gyro sensitivity set lower than the pads so I can carefully nudge the reticle into position.

Sophia

I've got gyro enabled in Overwatch but I always forget to use it! Still need to get used to having it - I always have a hard time with Zarya aiming though so this should be a good try

That's why I switched it from being enabled on the touchpads to being always on. Now I never forget to use it.

A good tip is to go into the practice range with Pharah and try to fire her rockets at the moving targets using only the gyro. Sooner or later, it becomes second nature.

For those of you who use gyro in FPS, what is your control style like? Do you use the touch pad for navigation only and do all of your aiming with the gyro, or do you use the pad to target an enemy and then adjust with the gyro? Something in between? How high do you go with your sensitivity?

I've played Fallout 4 with just the touch pad and feel pretty comfortable with that, but I'm looking to improve my aim to fare better in online shooters. I need to put in some practice with the gyro and I'm wondering what others have found works for them.

Gyro for fine tuning my aim, touchpad for fast turning. Thus usually high-ush sensitivity for the touchpad, and low for the gyro. Exceptions are made for games like Counter-Strike, where both need to be varying degrees of low.

Picked one up a few hours ago. First impression is that the amount of customization is frankly amazing. I'm really loving what I'm seeing here with all the different profiles available for games I already have.
However, I'm not finding it comfortable to hold at the moment - the way the grips jut out into my palms is very uncomfortable. If I hold it a certain way then it's ok but I've got to really reach for the face buttons. Guess I'll just have to give it more time and get used to it.

Deadstar

Great news. Thins little thing keeps getting better and better.

Cycle and hold should have been implemented at launch. I tried setting the buttons as mouse scroll up or down so that I could zoom in with RTS games but it never worked, it would only move one click at a time.

I love how you can use this thing in windows now very easily.

kodecraft

Picked one up a few hours ago. First impression is that the amount of customization is frankly amazing. I'm really loving what I'm seeing here with all the different profiles available for games I already have.
However, I'm not finding it comfortable to hold at the moment - the way the grips jut out into my palms is very uncomfortable. If I hold it a certain way then it's ok but I've got to really reach for the face buttons. Guess I'll just have to give it more time and get used to it.

You won't really get "used" to it. The best controller is one that disappears in your hand and feels like an extension of your hand.

Buy I'm having a blast with and I am starting to play most of my games using it.

Nabs

The best configs are ones where you rarely ever have to use the face buttons.

atr0cious

If you're running Windows 10, have you tried setting Origin to Windows 7 compatibility mode?

Didn't see this before, so I went and tried this. It still doesn't work. This is specifically PvZGW, I haven't installed any others yet, because what's the point if I can't get it to work. IIt's weird, I can feel the haptic bind settings working, but none of it is affecting the game. I have to use m/kb to even get the mouse to move. So, now I have origin running as admin, and in win 7 compatibility mode, and the controller doesn't work at all.

WillyFive

Do you guys have Gyro on all the time or do you press something to activate it?

Always on is significantly more intuitive, but also more finicky.

impact

Banned

always disabled

it's so jerky and choppy for me, and I never liked motion controls anyway. I'm much more accurate without it.

Unai

In third person shooters or Dark Souls 3/Dragon's Dogma, I activate the gyro when pressing the aim buttom. In first person shooters I usually use the right pad touch to activate it instead.

TheRed

I'm working out a pretty cool Witcher 3 config. It has everything you'd need and also has turn off HUD and take screenshot in it. I just need to work out a few kinks to get it perfect.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Thinking of grabbing both a Steam Controller and Link since they're on sale. Not sure if I'll like that controller, so I wonder if there's a return policy.

Valahart

I don't have my controller yet so I have a question.

Once you configure it for a game according to your preferences, whenever you start said game is the controller automatically going to be set as that configuration?

What I found worked for me was making sure my index fingers were on bumpers and middle fingers on triggers - while this setup is very uncomfortable (for me) on a ps4 / Xbox one controller, it feels like the concave nature of the Steam Controller makes it right. It also allows my thumb to hit the pad at a point, which is much better for aiming.

Kinda depends on what I'm playing, but generally only when I have my thumb on the touch pad. For stuff like Wii emulation of course it's a bit different, but I almost always use the right touch pad as some sort of aim, camera control, or cursor and adding gyro to that feels really nice to me.

Top Bottom