• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2016 Press Conference: June 13 at 6 PM PT/ 9PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigorath

Banned
That's definitely off, all those 400 people don't work on games. There is a large publishing / marketing group, hardware group, tools group, and even system software development group. Matter of fact, a lot of their games have contract and external staff.

Yeah.

Sony Japan doesn't do a lot of inhouse development these days.

Go_Ly_Dow

18221787244_d8ac3f0c02_o.png

GOAT conference.

Listen to this whilst looking at the banner. ;_;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSOkM4e85SA

I'm sure we'll see more FFVII remake gameplay. Also I'm probably the only one thinking this, but do you think it's possible we would get announcement about an FFVII Crisis Core remaster for the PS4/Vita?

I don't even really like superheroes, but I think a Spider-Man game from Sucker Punch would be pretty cool. It's not like the inFAMOUS franchise has some mindblowing lore that needs to be explored.

You think about all of Sucker Punch's strengths and they apply perfectly to a Spider-Man game. It would be awesome.

Withnail

That's definitely off, all those 400 people don't work on games. There is a large publishing / marketing group, hardware group, tools group, and even system software development group. Matter of fact, a lot of their games have contract and external staff.

While I don't agree with his estimates, some of the things you've listed are not Japan Studio but part of SCEJ or part of the central management function (SCEI).

SCE Japan Studio is not the same thing as SCEJ.

I wish we knew more about the current structure of Studio Japan kind of like how we knew how Nintendo EAD was structured. It would give us a better idea of dev timelines for speculation purposes.

And since this thread is kind of going in circles without any new rumors, I'm going to speculate...

Last we heard is that Studio Japan is around 400 people... And assuming there is a legit structure to the studio... Keep in mind this 100% conjecture

(Team, current project, complete approximate guess as number of employees)

- Team Ico* - The Last Guardian - 50
- Team Gravity - Gravity Rush 2 - 100
- External Dev Group - Overseeing external projects - 30
- Tech Group - Playroom VR and tech demos - 30
- Mark Cerny's Team** - ?? - 20
- Administration/HR/Maintenance - 20
- AAA Dev team*** - AAA JRPG - 150

So that's ~ 400

*: Shu has said that The Last Guardian team isn't really that big
**: Mark Cerny has said that he's working on a new game with a smaller team
***: This is assuming everyone else in the studio is working on this hypothetical game. It's possible a lot are while the rest have another smaller game in the works

Thanks to anyone who reads this that I pulled from my ass lol

I'd be quite interested to see what Gavin Moore (director, Puppeteer) and his team are currently up to right now.

I'd still play it, but i'd definitely be disappointed that they were working on it. I don't really like the idea of any of Sony's internal studios working on licensed IP's. It just seems like a waste of time and resources.

So with you both.

Such a waste of a brilliant studio if they're tied to Spiderman. Especially if it's a film tie-in.

Well, a critically and commercially successful Spiderman game would actually elevate Sucker Punch to new heights. The game after Spiderman could have "from the makers of Spiderman!" on it.

Well, a critically and commercially successful Spiderman game would actually elevate Sucker Punch to new heights. The game after Spiderman could have "from the makers of Spiderman!" on it.

All I can see is they're spending ~4 years on a Spiderman.

Can't think about their next project... That's just sad.

kurahador

I'm sure we'll see more FFVII remake gameplay. Also I'm probably the only one thinking this, but do you think it's possible we would get announcement about an FFVII Crisis Core remaster for the PS4/Vita?

Doing a retelling of Crisis Core in FF7 remake make more sense.

DKHF

Speaking as someone who never really liked Infamous all that much: bring on the spider, man.
Same here. Never really liked the Infamous series though I liked Sucker Punch's prior work (Sly games). I would much rather they make a Spider-Man game than Infamous 3 or a new IP.

SNURB

Puppeteer was the bees kness. Should've been a PS4 launch title. What I'd give for a sequel.

Puppeteer is a damn good game. Shame that Sony swept it under the rug right around the time the PS4 launched. Would've been ideal to bring it to the PS4 as launch title. Would've been better than Knack.

I'm with you guys. Never really cared for Infamous.

Bring on Spider-Man.

I really enjoyed the Infamous games but I think it's time for Sucker Punch to make something else, a good Spidey game could be awesome, as long as it doesn't need to be a film companion, with very strict release date...would suck to get a rushed game from them.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I liked First Light, but was disappointed with Second Son. Overall though I feel like we've gotten enough InFamous for a while. I wouldn't mind if Sucker Punch moved on to something else, and if that's Spider-man... I'm all the more happy for it. If they get enough creative freedom, they could do what Rocksteady or High Moon did to Batman and Transformers. I'd like for this 'licensed games not sucking' trend to continue.

Shin-chan

I think as fun as Infamous games are mechanically they don't do enough or anything with their open world. I can't remember a single mission from any of the games and the story has never been anything to shout about (then again you could level this criticism at pretty much 80-90% of triple A titles that have forgotten the importance of encounter design and pacing).

I think it's a game that is the victim of the open world. It would be much better as a wide linear action game where you have Uncharted 4 style arenas to play around in and traversal challenges that require the use of your powers (hell they could structure it like a 3D Metroidvania). As it stands I have about as much interest in Infamous as I do all of the other boring open world titles.

Shredderi

I don't like the idea of Sony using their first parties to make licensed games. God I hope with a force of thousand suns that the rumour is fake. Bring on new IP with new world and characters that I haven't seen explored to death already. Please don't be a fucking spider-man game.

I don't like the idea of Sony using their first parties to make licensed games. God I hope with a force of thousand suns that the rumour is fake. Bring on new IP with new world and characters that I haven't seen explored to death already. Please don't be a fucking spider-man game.

In Sucker Punch's case, the alternative is probably another inFAMOUS. At least there is quite a bit of new IP in development with games like Dreams, Horizon, Detroit and Dead Don't Ride.

Tapejara

What if it turns out Dead Don't Ride is actually the new Crash Bandicoot, except it's just remakes of the motorcycle levels from Warped?

kurahador

Even if Sony surprises us with Agent and Shenmue I&II HD announcement, it won't have the same effect like last year.
I'm not even sure if there's any games that can do that now.

Hexa

Even if Sony surprises us with Agent and Shenmue I&II HD announcement, it won't have the same effect like last year.
I'm not even sure if there's any games that can do that now.

Crash & Agent & DMC5

I think that would reach holy trinity from last year level hype, at least for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom