• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Repo Man

Thats no patch notes... thats a space station!

Probably up there with the longest patch notes I've attempted to read and I usually read all of the patch notes Blizzard for example releases for their games when theres major changes like a new WoW expansion or such.

Cautiously excited to have a go this weekend as its my weekend off.

akira28

holy shit. 3 ships destroyed by scrub NPCs.

my beautiful Asp Explorer. in Solo...

some kind of crazy missile I've never seen before. Ships are all acting differently. I had one interdict me and just follow me, not even shooting. But it kept streaming threats at me. It didn't have a record so if I shot at him I would be fined. Had one some how crazyglued to my blind spot no matter what, until it somehow killed my shields and then started spamming me in the face with some exploding bullshit.

DjRalford

Theres a lot of salt flowing on the frontier forums at the moment, i haven't played it yet but aparrantly the AI is now brutal with a lot of them having immediate high grade engineer mods from the outset.

akira28

I'm all for a smarter and more dangerous AI, hell yeah. but...I got shot with some purple shit I have never seen before. I just bought a Cobra because fuck if I'm going to lose 1.5 million dollars every time my trader Asp gets blown up by a freaking Eagle flown by Spiderman.

They got the chatpad working again for the Xbox One controller, so I feel a bit better about moving towards other players now that I can fire off some quick please dont kill me messages in vr before they blow me up

Hylian7

RIP Robigo

So now that it's nerfed, what is the best way to make money? Still the nerfed Robigo runs, or bounty hunting under Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval?

DrBo42

Theres a lot of salt flowing on the frontier forums at the moment, i haven't played it yet but aparrantly the AI is now brutal with a lot of them having immediate high grade engineer mods from the outset.

I'm all for a smarter and more dangerous AI, hell yeah. but...I got shot with some purple shit I have never seen before. I just bought a Cobra because fuck if I'm going to lose 1.5 million dollars every time my trader Asp gets blown up by a freaking Eagle flown by Spiderman.

Was murdered in a Conflict Zone by Vultures that would repeatedly ram me until my shields were down, then my hull went to 0% like it was paper in a matter of seconds. Was in a Fed Corvette. AI facehugging and ramming isn't really my idea of more challenging. Guess I'll just pay my 10 million rebuy and keep testing this beta.

Unicorn

I'm so fucking furious right now. I was at some shitty system and I was trying to get to Gunnovale to get some free viper ship from an email I got a while ago, but the route was 20 or so jumps. Problem was in that route there was only one fuel-scoop-able star and after getting full on that star there were no stations or stars to scoop from. the next available populated star was too many jumps away so I ran out of fuel. I tried another route prior to this, but all dead stars. I said "fuck this" and went back to the starting location, losing out on my fuel scoop just because I was pissed. Now the plotted course to Gunnovale is saying 41 jumps and looping me back seemingly back to where I was before.

Such fucking bullshit. I can't see how I know what stars I can scoop, the fuel scoop doesn't say what I can scoop, and I keep getting systems that are fucking faint stars and I can't scoop.
Fuck fuel scoops. Someone help me.

I know my OBAFGKM, but goddamn every star was not in that spectrum.

DrBo42

hahaha amazing

Sorry for your loss

It's only money.

I'm so fucking furious right now. I was at some shitty system and I was trying to get to Gunnovale to get some free viper ship from an email I got a while ago, but the route was 20 or so jumps. Problem was in that route there was only one fuel-scoop-able star and after getting full on that star there were no stations or stars to scoop from. the next available populated star was too many jumps away so I ran out of fuel. I tried another route prior to this, but all dead stars. I said "fuck this" and went back to the starting location, losing out on my fuel scoop just because I was pissed. Now the plotted course to Gunnovale is saying 41 jumps and looping me back seemingly back to where I was before.

Such fucking bullshit. I can't see how I know what stars I can scoop, the fuel scoop doesn't say what I can scoop, and I keep getting systems that are fucking faint stars and I can't scoop.

Should have called the Fuel Rats. Switching to realistic view will let you know what sequence they are, then you can jump to a scoopable one when low. Don't panic, conserve oxygen.

akira28

yeah I use the galaxy map to see if a star is scoopable or not when I get to about 10% fuel I star mini jumps for scoopable stars.

keep trying. the game didn't open up for me until I got to Gunnovale and that Viper IV is adaptable as hell. Put a military level hull on it and the best thrusters and its a blindspot demon. I would just hug Anacondas and pick their components off. Its also a bad ass little miner and a smuggler. You can max it for jump range or for cargo capacity, and it still have those guns.

Before that, running around it a dinky Sidewinder I was not seeing what was so great about the game.
And now my Anaconda don't want none.

Unicorn

yeah I use the galaxy map to see if a star is scoopable or not when I get to about 10% fuel I star mini jumps for scoopable stars.

keep trying. the game didn't open up for me until I got to Gunnovale and that Viper IV is adaptable as hell. Put a military level hull on it and the best thrusters and its a blindspot demon. I would just hug Anacondas and pick their components off. Its also a bad ass little miner and a smuggler. You can max it for jump range or for cargo capacity, and it still have those guns.

Before that, running around it a dinky Sidewinder I was not seeing what was so great about the game.
And now my Anaconda don't want none.

Is the plotting taking the shortest route? Is it really fucking 41 jumps to get there? It straight up takes me the opposite direction to then loop back around.

DrBo42

Is the plotting taking the shortest route? Is it really fucking 41 jumps to get there? It straight up takes me the opposite direction to then loop back around.
Sounds like either your range is under 10ly or you have economic routes on. If under 10ly it's really that many.

akira28

yeah get a better frame shift drive. in the stock sidewinder, yeah it is like 40 to 30 jumps depending.

do some data delivery missions to get a few hundred thou, then get the best fsd for the sidey, then sell it all when you get to gunnovale for your new baby.
it'll still be like 25 jumps but a lot more manageable than 45.

(I started blind no manual or anything, so I didn't know about ranges or upgrades or anything. I spend a week jumping through 40 or so jumps because I thought that was just the way. Then I crashed into a unmarked brown dwarf immediately after coming out of hyperspeed...Took a break...read some FAQs and made my next trip so much easier. At first I thought 40+ jumps was just real life)

Holy cow the anaconda is big. I keep scraping the entrance and feel like I am going to grind the top of the exit only to scrape the bottom.

My current loadout.

Been pulling in about 1.4 profit round trip and almost 7 million an hour if I fly right.

Space truckinggggg

Unicorn

Sounds like either your range is under 10ly or you have economic routes on. If under 10ly it's really that many.

Sounds like you have your map set to economical route or you have a very short jump range.

yeah get a better frame shift drive. in the stock sidewinder, yeah it is like 40 to 30 jumps depending.

do some data delivery missions to get a few hundred thou, then get the best fsd for the sidey, then sell it all when you get to gunnovale for your new baby.
it'll still be like 25 jumps but a lot more manageable than 45.

(I started blind no manual or anything, so I didn't know about ranges or upgrades or anything. I spend a week jumping through 40 or so jumps because I thought that was just the way. Then I crashed into a unmarked brown dwarf immediately after coming out of hyperspeed...Took a break...read some FAQs and made my next trip so much easier. At first I thought 40+ jumps was just real life)

Yeah, I went in the shop and bought a fuel scoop for 309 and a minimally better FSD for ~5k and was able to then make the jump in like 5 or 6 jumps.

I'm not in my Viper MkIV and although strafing feels swimmier, this thing just feels more luxurious. Sucks I know have to get ready for work because now I feel like I'm getting happier with my play time. Only took 16 hours :/

New mission intel is helping clear up a lot of haziness that I had before. Tips and information vital to completing stuff is now there where before it felt a little vague.

Thanks for the help guys!

lol

Reddit noted that an Engineer from the trailer looks kinda like Derek Smart:

ymWYZtw.png
dSk3AQf.jpg

LowerLevel

Was murdered in a Conflict Zone by Vultures that would repeatedly ram me until my shields were down, then my hull went to 0% like it was paper in a matter of seconds. Was in a Fed Corvette. AI facehugging and ramming isn't really my idea of more challenging. Guess I'll just pay my 10 million rebuy and keep testing this beta.

On Xbox One but glad to hear it wasn't just me. I seemed to get out of a few interdictions np but damn they are aggressive now!

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Planet surface fps went from 15 at best to 30-50, it must be some kind of witchcraft. I actually got access to that part of the game without having to upgrade my card.
Got myself a Courier and some meta-alloys, and I'm in the mood to race through canyons

Time to see what Farseer can do for me.

DrBo42

Planet surface fps went from 15 at best to 30-50, it must be some kind of witchcraft. I actually got access to that part of the game without having to upgrade my card.
Got myself a Courier and some meta-alloys, and I'm in the mood to race through canyons

Time to see what Farseer can do for me.
Actually managed to farm some alloys or did they start selling them in Maia?

akira28

I will never sell my Free-Viper 4.

but I am also about to abandon my bid for a Clipper because I have been doing missions for a day and I am still stuck at 100% Master.
I hope these points are accumulating somewhere...

DrBo42

I will never sell my Free-Viper 4.

but I am also about to abandon my bid for a Clipper because I have been doing missions for a day and I am still stuck at 100% Master.
I hope these points are accumulating somewhere...
Weird... No message in your comms panel?

akira28

no, I do get messages when I flip local faction managers to cordial or friendly, but nothing about promotion opportunities.

DrBo42

no, I do get messages when I flip local faction managers to cordial or friendly, but nothing about promotion opportunities.
You're talking about pilot rank, right? There should be something that pops up. Feel like it shows up in a message tab as well as its own window when you undock with an animation. Been a while. Maybe try relogging.

akira28

You're talking about pilot rank, right? There should be something that pops up. Feel like it shows up in a message tab as well as its own window when you undock with an animation. Been a while. Maybe try relogging.

no, no faction rank, trying to get to Baron with the Empire so I can buy a Clipper

Wow, friend lost his FDL twice bounty hunting elite and master ships. Apparently their weapons do much more and different kind of damage. Knocked out his point defense and overheated him, preventing him from using his lasers.

*Hugs trade route.

E-flux

I'm not great at combat but i'm flying a diamondback explorer without shields and i managed to kill an expert asp explorer and few other similar rank AI in 1v1 encounters. The combat changes are a good thing though especially the materials ships drop on destruction.

I did get interdected by an AI which dropped my shieldless hauler in a few shots, can't remember if that was the case before the patch.

Just went to Apam Napat. We're down to 5% influence. Wanted to run some missions but only one was available. Completed that one but have a hauler now... the only other way to increase influence is to take out wanted ships of the other factions. Think I'll do that after my ship has some crafted modules...

DrBo42

Just went to Apam Napat. We're down to 5% influence. Wanted to run some missions but only one was available. Completed that one but have a hauler now... the only other way to increase influence is to take out wanted ships of the other factions. Think I'll do that after my ship has some crafted modules...

I'll swing back tonight and do some work. We should try getting some of the new guys together in the more recent thread and wing up through some RES farming or combat missions. Think we've yet to do that.

Edit: Look at this Vulture vid. I swear this is what happened to me in a Conflict Zone this morning.

Jedi2016

Edit: Look at this Vulture vid. I swear this is what happened to me in a Conflict Zone this morning.
That just seems broken to me.. I can't see how anyone, regardless of skill or upgrades, can be expected to soak up that much damage that quickly. I had a decked-out Vulture for a while, and I couldn't even kill Sidewinders that fast, much less Pythons. Putting up a challenge is fine. But even Dark Souls is fair in how it does it.

It makes me worried about coming back from my jaunt.. I don't want to have to worry about getting interdicted and instantly vaporized before I turn in all this exploration data. Especially given the motherlode I just hit... a whole region full of neutron stars, black holes, and white dwarfs.

I didn't run into any of that in the beta. I played several hours in RESes and did assassination missions. They must have fucked shit up for the full release.

DrBo42

I didn't run into any of that in the beta. I played several hours in RESes and did assassination missions. They must have fucked shit up for the full release.

I bet the NPCs in beta didn't have Engineer weapons.

Taking a closer look at it now. PA round shot at 36 seconds, shoots wide. At 37 seconds, pilot takes half a ring of shield damage while Vulture hasn't fired anything. At 38 seconds another PA round comes out and appears to shoot wide again. Looks like either whatever is hitting him is invisible or/and the PA is firing more than 1 round per second (while some of it is visually missing due to animation/particle timers) and missing while head on.

it's hits the shield like a mult-cannon. I think one PA round hit but the damage came from a rapid fire weapon. It looked like about 4 hits stripped shields and melted his hull in like a second

DrBo42

it's hits the shield like a mult-cannon. I think one PA round hit but the damage came from a rapid fire weapon. It looked like about 4 hits stripped shields and melted his hull in like a second

Not a single round head on hits his shield. Especially at 37 seconds, there isn't even a particle in the air beforehand. Especially now that PA rounds don't hit and dissipate visually, they stay on the shield for a second or two like napalm.

Jedi2016

PA doesn't do that kind of damage, though, I've got one on my FDL (and looking forward to getting rid of it... I hate missing). And it sure as hell doesn't fire that fast. If I had to guess, I'd say it's those new super-engineered huge multicannons. Based on what I saw in videos of a Corvette, I don't think even two of them would have killed a Python near as fast as what was in that video.

DrBo42

PA doesn't do that kind of damage, though, I've got one on my FDL (and looking forward to getting rid of it... I hate missing). And it sure as hell doesn't fire that fast. If I had to guess, I'd say it's those new super-engineered huge multicannons. Based on what I saw in videos of a Corvette, I don't think even two of them would have killed a Python near as fast as what was in that video.

A huge multi-canon on a Vulture? Haha. It only has 2 large hardpoints and 1 of them is being used for that PA.

Jedi2016

No, no, I'm just saying the only thing I've seen that can do that kind of damage are the new cannons.

That's why I'm saying it's broken. Granted, I haven't gone digging through all the upgrades, but I just don't see them adding something that would increase damage by that much... I've taken on Pythons in a Vulture, and if that really was the Vulture that did the damage in that video, that's like a 3000% damage increase. No fuckin' way that's legit... All the perfect engineer upgrades in the world will get you what.. 50% increase and some heat damage?

If they want to make the AI smarter, go right ahead. Better maneuvering, better power management? No problem. Increased damage, even engineer upgrades? Sure. But that would, at best, put them on par with a decked-out player ship... it wouldn't outstrip them like that. Think about it. If a Vulture can do that to a player Python, what would an Anaconda do? A Corvette? It could one-shot anything. And how would that be even remotely fair?

DrBo42

No, no, I'm just saying the only thing I've seen that can do that kind of damage are the new cannons.

That's why I'm saying it's broken. Granted, I haven't gone digging through all the upgrades, but I just don't see them adding something that would increase damage by that much... I've taken on Pythons in a Vulture, and if that really was the Vulture that did the damage in that video, that's like a 3000% damage increase. No fuckin' way that's legit... All the perfect engineer upgrades in the world will get you what.. 50% increase and some heat damage?

If they want to make the AI smarter, go right ahead. Better maneuvering, better power management? No problem. Increased damage, even engineer upgrades? Sure. But that would, at best, put them on par with a decked-out player ship... it wouldn't outstrip them like that. Think about it. If a Vulture can do that to a player Python, what would an Anaconda do? A Corvette? It could one-shot anything. And how would that be even remotely fair?

No argument from me there. A full multi canon setup on a Corvette with incendiary rounds does strip shields that quick, but that's 2 huge multis and 5? other guns firing. That's a Vulture with two large hardpoints...not gonna happen. I was really looking forward to playing this weekend but I don't even want to undock after seeing that video.

Jedi2016

Thankfully, I'm still exploring and won't be back any time soon. Hopefully this gets sorted before I get back, or I'm going to be running scared as soon as I enter the bubble. Granted, I don't expect to survive a direct assault from a full wing or a Corvette.. the shields on my Asp are pretty weak, they're really just designed to keep me from taking damage when I land. But I do expect them to keep me alive long enough to run and to make it home in one piece.

DrBo42

Thankfully, I'm still exploring and won't be back any time soon. Hopefully this gets sorted before I get back, or I'm going to be running scared as soon as I enter the bubble. Granted, I don't expect to survive a direct assault from a full wing or a Corvette.. the shields on my Asp are pretty weak, they're really just designed to keep me from taking damage when I land. But I do expect them to keep me alive long enough to run and to make it home in one piece.
Don't forget to turn your data in with Farseer to gain rep. Probably best to get someone to meet you there and give you an alloy.

So I'm out exploring, and some planets/moons have a planetary map but some don't. Are these bodies that can be landed on? X1 version btw.

Top Bottom