• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

Bobnob

logitech g920 as recently had a near 50% drop in price at pc world, i bought mine for £300 less than 2 months ago, its now £170. Compatable on pc and x1.

new gtsport wheel?

Capture.png

amar212

I just want my fanatec to work with driveclub :(

I just want my Fanatec to work with Gran Turismo Sport :(

Still waiting for the PR about the new Thrustmaster wheel, I want the details.

Here are more pictures, I have to admit it looks impressive.

And it will probably not come cheap.

http://www.isrtv.com/thrustmaster/first-images-of-new-gran-turismo-sport-branded-thrustmaster-wheel/

The rear end gives me "Direct Drive" feel - I like it, but it doesn't come cheap by no mean.

Luckydog

Anyone with a ClubSport Wheel Base v2 that can speak to if its worth the price? I have a Fanatec CSR elite that wont work with my Xbox One. I was thinking if I bought the ClubSport Wheel Base v2, I could reuse my pedals and shifter from that and have a single base that supports my Xbox One, PS4, and PC.

Thoughts?

Still waiting for the PR about the new Thrustmaster wheel, I want the details.

Here are more pictures, I have to admit it looks impressive.

And it will probably not come cheap.

http://www.isrtv.com/thrustmaster/first-images-of-new-gran-turismo-sport-branded-thrustmaster-wheel/

The rear end gives me "Direct Drive" feel - I like it, but it doesn't come cheap by no mean.

Its going to high end isn't it ;___;
Was hoping they would another DFGT.

paskowitz

Anyone with a ClubSport Wheel Base v2 that can speak to if its worth the price? I have a Fanatec CSR elite that wont work with my Xbox One. I was thinking if I bought the ClubSport Wheel Base v2, I could reuse my pedals and shifter from that and have a single base that supports my Xbox One, PS4, and PC.

Thoughts?

It is indeed very expensive. I have a CSW V2, but I got it at a lower price and already had the rims from my V1. IMO the ClubSport pedals are actually the best value investment. A wheel feels good but better pedals make you a better driver. I would wait and see what this Thrusmaster wheel is like.

Mascot

I just want my fanatec to work with driveclub :(

Preach it, brothers. Hardware cock-blocking is the most frustrating aspect of console gaming. I'm 100% happy with my CSR-E and there's no way I'm buying another wheel because of non-technical cash-grab reasons. SMS have proved with pCARS that there's no technical barrier to entry, so it's all down to the greed of big corporations and their willingness to screw every last penny out of their consumers.

FUCK that noise.

amar212

Preach it, brothers. Hardware cock-blocking is the most frustrating aspect of console gaming. I'm 100% happy with my CSR-E and there's no way I'm buying another wheel because of non-technical cash-grab reasons. SMS have proved with pCARS that there's no technical barrier to entry, so it's all down to the greed of big corporations and their willingness to screw every last penny out of their consumers.

FUCK that noise.

Well, I have to admit how although I do not like what Sony did recently, they are at least much more friendly than Microsoft.

What we're basically having is the situation where only first-party titles are supported with the officially licenced wheels, while third-party titles can feely opt to include all wheels they want.

I guess Sony have to stay fair towards both Thrustmaster and Logitech who both probably laid serious money into securing the "official" licence. But in the same time they are not blocking legacy wheels and APIs from third-party developers.

It is far from "win-win" situation, it is "win-loose" situation, but at least it is different than "lose-lose" situation we have with the Xbox for more than a decade.

sTiTcH AU

Well, I have to admit how although I do not like what Sony did recently, they are at least much more friendly than Microsoft.

What we're basically having is the situation where only first-party titles are supported with the officially licenced wheels, while third-party titles can feely opt to include all wheels they want.

I guess Sony have to stay fair towards both Thrustmaster and Logitech who both probably laid serious money into securing the "official" licence. But in the same time they are not blocking legacy wheels and APIs from third-party developers.

It is far from "win-win" situation, it is "win-loose" situation, but at least it is different than "lose-lose" situation we have with the Xbox for more than a decade.

At least when you buy a xbox One supported wheel, it will work on all games for xbox one. Which can not be said for the PS4. Honestly the PS4 situation is worse IMO. Its stupid that for one game my fanatec will work on ps4 but for another it will not. At least with the universal hub for xbox one every game is supported.

amar212

At least when you buy a xbox One supported wheel, it will work on all games for xbox one. Which can not be said for the PS4. Honestly the PS4 situation is worse IMO. Its stupid that for one game my fanatec will work on ps4 but for another it will not. At least with the universal hub for xbox one every game is supported.

It is the same for PS4? Officialy supported wheels work for all PS4 games.

We are discussing "legacy" wheels, such as Logitech G25/27 or Fanatec models that were supported by PS3, but now are not fully supported by PS4.

sTiTcH AU

It is the same for PS4? Officialy supported wheels work for all PS4 games.

We are discussing "legacy" wheels, such as Logitech G25/27 or Fanatec models that were supported by PS3, but now are not fully supported by PS4.

My fanatec wheel will work for some games but not others on PS4 because of an artificial barrier. Seems worse to me.

Melfice7

SMS have proved with pCARS that there's no technical barrier to entry, so it's all down to the greed of big corporations and their willingness to screw every last penny out of their consumers.

Their attempt of screwing us is backfiring with me and hopefuly im not alone in this, by not buying GTS for example, exactly for that reason, no G27 support no buy

Chili

I remember a few years ago absolutely disliking Microsoft for changing the licensing from 360 to Xbox One. However, they've kept things consistent and an Xbox One-licensed wheel will work with all games. I think I prefer licensing deals to exclusive deals guaranteeing wheels to work with only certain partners with games making their own choices. Fragmentation within a console ecosystem is the worst thing. I'm basically never going to play GT Sport even though I love the sound of it. VR hardware on PC is heading in the same direction too thanks to Oculus.

sTiTcH AU

That's surely better than no 360 wheels working on Xbox One at all?

You mean the single decent 360 Wheel being the csr? I am not saying that i think the xbox one wheel situation is good at all.

What i am saying is that at least when i buy a wheel that works on xbox one, i know it works with every xbox one game.

The PS4 obviously can support many wheels and the 3rd party devs have proven that like with project cars. Now obviously if you buy a ps branded thrustmaster or the g29 you are all sweet unless you also want xbox support, but if you want something better like the fanatec (and the pedals alone make it worth it) you are screwed.

I am being a little bias as I have spent a lot of money on my fanatec setup as they are great products and believed it would support xbone/ps4 and PC, but to learn that there will be an artificial block on it for what looks like purely marketing reasons is a kick in the nads. If GT sport wont support my wheel then i will just stick with forza/iracing which is fine by me.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
If you are signed up to Fry's email codes, they have the T300/TX for $219.99 today.

Got a TX 458 waiting for me at the store.

Luckydog

It is indeed very expensive. I have a CSW V2, but I got it at a lower price and already had the rims from my V1. IMO the ClubSport pedals are actually the best value investment. A wheel feels good but better pedals make you a better driver. I would wait and see what this Thrusmaster wheel is like.

I guess I could step into it as if I just get the CSW V2 and use existing parts, I can upgrade over time, like adding pedals later. It feels like the CSW V2 will last longer than my Elite did and should offer forward comparability with say a PS5 or Xbox 2 via rims instead of full blown refresh.

If I get a thrustmaster, I have to lose either PS4 or Xbox comparability right?

paskowitz

I guess I could step into it as if I just get the CSW V2 and use existing parts, I can upgrade over time, like adding pedals later. It feels like the CSW V2 will last longer than my Elite did and should offer forward comparability with say a PS5 or Xbox 2 via rims instead of full blown refresh.

If I get a thrustmaster, I have to lose either PS4 or Xbox comparability right?

Thrustmaster is either or... but Fanatec is "maybe" for PS and yes for Xbox. Like Amar has said, Fanatec products seem to only work with 3rd party PS titles (Codemasters games, pCARS, etc), while Thrustmaster likely has a licensing deal with Sony and some type of "exclusivity" agreement for first party PS titles (GT). If you don't "need" to have guaranteed compatibility with Gran Turismo, then go Fanatec. If GT is a game that matters a lot to you, then maybe TM is the better option.

One thing I should mention is that in the past, Fanatec products have not been reliable. However, recently, they have gotten a lot better. The V2 base is far far far far more reliable than the V1 and the pedals are rock solid (mine are beta units before they were even releases... so many years at this point). Thrustmaster as well has had issues in the past and is better now (overheating).

Luckydog

Thrustmaster is either or... but Fanatec is "maybe" for PS and yes for Xbox. Like Amar has said, Fanatec products seem to only work with 3rd party PS titles (Codemasters games, pCARS, etc), while Thrustmaster likely has a licensing deal with Sony and some type of "exclusivity" agreement for first party PS titles (GT). If you don't "need" to have guaranteed compatibility with Gran Turismo, then go Fanatec. If GT is a game that matters a lot to you, then maybe TM is the better option.

One thing I should mention is that in the past, Fanatec products have not been reliable. However, recently, they have gotten a lot better. The V2 base is far far far far more reliable than the V1 and the pedals are rock solid (mine are beta units before they were even releases... so many years at this point). Thrustmaster as well has had issues in the past and is better now (overheating).

Is that the case for PS4? so there is a chance I could drop $1000 USD on a wheel and it wont work with GT Sport? I'm more of a Forza fan but that would be outrageous.

terrible

Banned
Aren't the PC wheel equivalents like $1500 minimum? I'm sure it's amazing but that's a pretty exclusive price range if it ends up being that much. Seems more of a PC sim enthusiast product than anything,

Aren't the PC wheel equivalents like $1500 minimum? I'm sure it's amazing but that's a pretty exclusive price range if it ends up being that much. Seems more of a PC sim enthusiast product than anything,

I can't imagine Thrustmaster will try to charge 1500 or even 1200 for a wheel, even if it's a complete set with new premium pedals with load cell. In my head I made the argument that the motor might be smaller and less powerful to reduce cost, but looking at other wheels again, other direct-drive motors aren't very big neither.
New argument: It seems to be compatible with other Thrustmaster wheel-addons and that screw-mechanism is not up to the task (a T500 is under 5Nm tops, the normal AccuForce does up to 13Nm (<--edit, seems like they do 9.xNm in the real world and not very linear as Kaz promised in the GTP article the new Thrustmaster wheel would be)). Can't imagine the motor to be that powerful.

Also the rim on that Thrustmaster direct-drive wheel looks toy'ish compared to what other premium brands do, that seems like a move to reduce cost further.

terrible

Banned
I can't imagine Thrustmaster will try to charge 1500 or even 1200 for a wheel, even if it's a complete set with new premium pedals with load cell. In my head I made the argument that the motor might be smaller and less powerful to reduce cost, but looking at other wheels again, other direct-drive motors aren't very big neither.
New argument: It seems to be compatible with other Thrustmaster wheel-addons and that screw-mechanism is not up to the task (a T500 is under 5Nm tops, the normal AccuForce does up to 13Nm (<--edit, seems like they do 9.xNm in the real world and not very linear as Kaz promised in the GTP article the new Thrustmaster wheel would be)). Can't imagine the motor to be that powerful.

Also the rim on that Thrustmaster direct-drive wheel looks toy'ish compared to what other premium brands do, that seems like a move to reduce cost further.

I don't know, even the DIY kit from simxperience is $1000 USD. If this Thrustmaster wheel is competitive with that and under $1000 I'll be pretty impressed even if the rim is pretty toyish (I agree, the knobs look cheap like they do on their other rims).

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Leo Bodnar should have hooked up with Polyphony Digital so they could form a partnership that would allow the Bodnar wheel to work on PS4/GTS :( :( :( :( :(

AmyS

Any deals on the Thrustmaster T300 this week ?

Also, since the T300 works on PS4 as well as PS3, does anyone know how it works with Daytona USA on PS3 ?

AmyS

excuse the DP bump.

If you are signed up to Fry's email codes, they have the T300/TX for $219.99 today.

Got a TX 458 waiting for me at the store.

Are they likely to have this deal again soon? I've never bought anything from Fry's before, but I signed up for the email codes.

J3ffro

Meanwhile, my Fanatec GT2 wheel and Clubsport pedals have been moved to my toddler's play room. She's a little over two and a half, so she understands what's going on, but she doesn't get clutching and shifting nearly as much as I would like.

It's the most use the wheel has seen since the PS4 launch.

Mascot

Meanwhile, my Fanatec GT2 wheel and Clubsport pedals have been moved to my toddler's play room. She's a little over two and a half, so she understands what's going on, but she doesn't get clutching and shifting nearly as much as I would like.

It's the most use the wheel has seen since the PS4 launch.

They work perfectly with Project CARS on PS4. Try it?

AmyS

Aww, that's really neat. I don't think I played a video game until I was 7 or 8.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hey guys - looking to get my first wheel for PC sims only. I've been researching things for the past few days. It LOOKS like my best choices are either a G27, T150, or a T300. I wouldn't be buying any aftermarket or additional parts right now (so if I bought a G29, I wouldn't be buying an H-shifter).

Anyone have any thoughts on the three? Also, where might one find a wheel for a reasonable price?

AmyS

I feel like our questions in this thread are getting completely drown out by all the pre-E3 news :/

Still need some answers,

I can't believe people in the thread are actually COMPLAINING that they added support to PS4 for previous gen wheels that it's bad because the games that came out before that point don't support them.

Does anyone have any experience getting the CSR wheel to work with Forza 6 and Horizon 2 on Xbox One using a Cronus Max? I glanced at it on their forum and it looks awful.

Microsoft is 100% blocking previous gen wheels (including the official Forza wheel, WTF???) and Sony has allowed this and there's still complaints against Sony. Mind blown.

I can't believe people in the thread are actually COMPLAINING that they added support to PS4 for previous gen wheels that it's bad because the games that came out before that point don't support them.

Does anyone have any experience getting the CSR wheel to work with Forza 6 and Horizon 2 on Xbox One using a Cronus Max? I glanced at it on their forum and it looks awful.

Microsoft is 100% blocking previous gen wheels (including the official Forza wheel, WTF???) and Sony has allowed this and there's still complaints against Sony. Mind blown.

So, what last-gen wheels can I use with Driveclub without any additional adapter-boxes or so?

Thrustmaster's T100 and T500.
The first one lacking force feedback, and the second one being quite expensive.

Ok, thanks, I knew about that, thought for a second I wasn't in the loop anymore.
But they announced that long before the PS4 was out, so what is different now? What did Macello refer to? What support did Sony add?

So Sony not forbidding third party games to support certain wheels if the manufacturer is ok with it (Logitech seemingly isn't), but still not allowing the wheels - that obviously do work on their console - in first party games makes them the goodguys(??), whereas microsoft had the "encryption"-excuse as an explanation for not supporting older hardware on Xbox One??
I don't know, they are both the bad guys and the manufacturers are in on it as well. But Microsoft could come around. It seems like they are seriously considering general wheel support for Win10 games and that might even include Xbox One. I'd give it a 30% chance on the Win10 Store and 15% that they allow it on Xbox One too.

Just a heads up for anyone in the UK.

Today Amazon UK have a Logitech Gaming deal. Buy two items and get 30% off. So a G29 + separate shifter is normally £204. With deal its £143. Works out the G29 is £126 instead of the usual £179.99.

I've just dipped so time to get my G27 on eBay.

Top Bottom