• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Gear New Series |OT| No Longer Starring Chris Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odorono

Banned
As an american, this is my first interaction with Chris Evans. Does anyone in the UK actually like this guy? He is insufferable.

I'm not a huge fan but I don't dislike him or anything.

People seem to love his breakfast show though.

Grieves

Well that wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I thought it was going to get very TFI Friday when Evans introduced the staff from his local curry house but thankfully we didn't have any "kids in mash" crap.

I'll probably watch next week.

I feel so sorry for Matt LeBlanc. Nothing in this new show works. It looks so horribly forced, you can tell they're acting and it's not natural at all, and Chris Evans is forcing excitement so hard that's its cringeworthy.

Floody

It was about as meh as I was expecting, didn't like Evans at all. Didn't really enjoy any of the challenge stuff either. LeBlanc was alright though, had zero chemistry with Evans, but has a good voice and his solo bit was alright too. He'll will probably be really good over time. Will give it a couple more episodes to see if it improves, if not I'll drop it.

I doubt he'd ever do it (would probably cost way too much too), but Gordon Ramsay would be so much better than Evans at this, and he gives about as many fucks as Clarkson, so would probably be good for a few laughs each episode too.

Its not terrible but its not exactly good. They took the format and shoved some new people into it and hope for the best.

Feels like one of the top gear spinoffs other countries make only this time its the BBC.

Curious to see how long it lasts. Cant say I am filled with confidence.

edit.

And I guess ill need to check out Extra Gear from the sounds of things.

Riddick

Top Gear is dead, I give it 2 years tops. The chemistry was awful, I had no idea who Chris Evans is and I already hate him and Matt was just good. It was basically 50 minutes of pure distilled cringe and 10 minutes of Matt's decent segment with the buggy.

Extra Gear does make it abundantly clear how daft it is that the main show only had Evans and LeBlanc on- Schmidt, Reid and Harris were right there!

faridmon

Matt LeBlanc is the only thing redeeming about that first Episode. He was funny and some of his character came through naturally.

But dear god, Evans has no charisma or character on stage. Some of these lines were cringe-worthy and seemed to force himself in some of those outrageous adjectives. He can be funny in his show, but Clarkson-like presentation does not suit his personality at all. He needs to cool off and be less hyper.

SeanTSC

Matt was good and he'll get much better when he loosens up a bit. Never doubted him after how much I enjoyed him in Episodes.

However, the studio stuff was pure gutter trash garbage. I'm surprised at just how bad it turned out. Evans needs to be gone yesterday.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Evans was super annoying primarily for the fact he shouted almost everything he said and that he kept asking for the audience to clap and applaud

wow, the scripting is terrible. Is this what happens when the trio isn't writing the dialog for the pieces?

to be fair the first season of old-new Top Gear was also extremely awkward with terribly stilted writing. The French Riviera roadtrip was when the series hit its stride, imo.

Megasoum

Banned
Ok

So turns out I can't stand Chris Evans...

The stuff outside of the studio is ok (even if he's doing the narration)

The in-studio stuff is terrible.

Matt Leblanc is cool

The editing and cinematography is still amazing. They are also fucking ON POINT with the musical choices.

Also, I just realized that the changes made to the official track means that we won't have to suffer through that fucking boring track in every single console racing games anymore.

besada

Banned
You can't judge the show. But you can judge the presenters on it. Evans is Evans and will always shout and screech. Unless some how he is told to shut up and actually listens for once.

I didn't actually have that big of a problem with Evans, but I'm not familiar with his other work, and don't have a history with him. I've seen it now. I thought he was the less interesting of the two, but he didn't irritate me.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I thought Evans was alright. The problem is that they've shoved new people into the same old show, a format that was looking pretty tired and creaky at the end. It was always going to look a bit second-rate with that approach.

besada

Banned
I thought Evans was alright. The problem is that they've shoved new people into the same old show, a format that was looking pretty tired and creaky at the end. It was always going to look a bit second-rate with that approach.

I'm hoping it's mostly to make the transition smooth, and that they'll feel free to play with the format as the show progresses. But I imagine they didn't want to introduce a new element on the first show only to have it be a dud.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I want to see the rating difference, viewer difference, and the
number of times pirated.

BBC doesn't do ratings does it? Viewers could probably be checked.
The show has always been heavily pirated since it's not available most everywhere day-date. BBC has tried to fix this with BBC America's "next-day-air" but they butcher the runtime there. It was only within the past like 2-3 seasons that they finally gave the show a proper 1 hour and a half format.

if LeBlanc has a sitcom on CBS net year then what happens to his involvement in Top Gear?

Nothing. LeBlanc will probably be able to revolve the two. If not, Sabine will probably be brought in, probably why they have six+ hosts.

In any case, seeing the Twitter reaction to the show and how people are like "it really should just be Sabine, LeBlanc and Harris" makes me kinda glad I have no intention of watching the new season and knowing in my heart those three are the ones that should've been the replacements from the get-go.

milanbaros

Member?
BBC doesn't do ratings does it? Viewers could probably be checked.
The show has always been heavily pirated since it's not available most everywhere day-date. BBC has tried to fix this with BBC America's "next-day-air" but they butcher the runtime there. It was only within the past like 2-3 seasons that they finally gave the show a proper 1 hour and a half format.

Nothing. LeBlanc will probably be able to revolve the two. If not, Sabine will probably be brought in, probably why they have six+ hosts.

In any case, seeing the Twitter reaction to the show and how people are like "it really should just be Sabine, LeBlanc and Harris" makes me kinda glad I have no intention of watching the new season and knowing in my heart those three are the ones that should've been the replacements from the get-go.

Yes, they have ratings. How else would they know if what they made was being watched?

Why don't you want to watch the new season? It was pretty good.

dukeoflegs

Holy crab. BBC knows the formula too well. It was Top Gear but at the same time it wasn't. The spoon fed lines were the typical lines that the trio would use but with these two it felt way more scripted than the previous shows.

Leblanc did some horrible dubbing, but I thought he could get better.

Sabine Schmitz was the shit though. Her line about the corvette and Ferrari suspension was fantastic.

Kathian

Banned
Top Gear is dead, I give it 2 years tops. The chemistry was awful, I had no idea who Chris Evans is and I already hate him and Matt was just good. It was basically 50 minutes of pure distilled cringe and 10 minutes of Matt's decent segment with the buggy.

Lol

It's dead!
...but it has two years!

Mascot

Having the staff from his local curry house appear in the first couple of minutes is typical Chris Evans self-indulgence. His columns and radio show are littered with stuff that's relevant to him and nobody else, and it's fucking annoying.

The whole show felt forced and awkward. The out-of-studio segments were as well filmed, scored and produced as ever (thank god), but the studio stuff was fucking amateurish. Even the lighting looked off (too bright?) and the audience looked sparse and uninterested.

Matt LeBlanc was absolutely superb but Chris Evans is what happens when a rabbit fucks a turtle in a vat of Sunny Delight.

liquidtmd

Banned
I actually like Evans, TFI is good for what it is and his Breakfast show is fairly fun listening car material

He is a poor fucking fit here though and was bad. He chose this over more relaunched TFI which was his baby and a far more natural fit for his brand? Jesus.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Basically have the same opinion as everyone else: LeBlanc was surprisingly good and could work if they can find someone he has chemistry with, Schmitz was the best thing about the episode.

Evans was terrible.

Lagamorph

I made it about a minute in before I couldn't stand Evans anymore. He's clearly trying to establish himself as the new Clarkson and the leader of what he sees as his show.

Unfortunately for him LeBlanc seems to be rating much better online, especially in his solo segments. Unfortunately for LeBlanc this likely means Evans will push for his removal in the event there's another series. I get the feeling Evans doesn't want anyone on the show to be more popular than him, certainly not for them to gain any traction and be more worth keeping than he is.

Abounder

Banned
I thought this would be more of an ensemble instead of a two-man show between Chris & Matt, oh well. Anyway I liked the latter plus the celebrity rallycross, as always the cinematography is excellent. Chris Evans just doesn't have the voice or presence for this gig but it was just one episode, he's the Stig's annoying cousin. Goddamn @ the Ariel Nomad, so good

I had never heard of this Chris Evans guy but he was so annoying, if only there was a twist at the star section that Gordon would be the new presenter instead of him.
I did love Matt though, but Evans really dragged him down in their segments together.

Aerogamer

Neo Member
I would give this a 6.5 out of 10. Matt LeBlanc was great, and I wish Sabine would be more featured. Chris Harris, Matt LeBlanc and Sabine would be a great trio.

glaurung

Hosts are boring as fuck, did not make it until the end of the episode.

Won't be coming back for episode 2 (regardless if released).

Nafai1123

Banned
The hyperactive personality of Evans and the cool chill handsome guy personality of Leblanc don't really work together. It didn't help that I thought some of the segment's were really bad. The best one was Leblanc doing the Nomad.

Not very hopeful but fuck it we'll be getting the true sequel to Top Gear soon enough.

Just started watching it. Evans feels like he's reading a repurposed Clarkson script. It's kind of grating. He's too shouty as well.

I liked the joke about catering though.

J-Rzez

So... better or worse than Top Gear USA?

Worse. Oddly enough it felt more like a Top Gear US show than the past, but it was worse.

Matt is pretty good overall, and the only nice thing in this pile of absolute garbage. Wow is it bad. From segments on the cars, to the challenges. Evans is astonishingly bad, everything forced at best. The way he slapped the car made me want to slap his face. Screamed the whole time.

This goes to prove that the boys before had this chemistry that can not just be created on a whim. It just has to happen. I have never seen this happen on any other show or movie other than the old Top Gear boys.

They should pull Matt and put him on Top Gear US with Foust and get rid of those other two goof balls. Maybe bring Chris Harris with Matt for the third.

This show is just a flat out epic fail. Seeing this tragedy makes paying for Amazon that much more easy now just to see Jeremy, James, and Richard. I mean hell, they have a bigger budget than before supposedly. Can't wait to see how it turns out. A shame I can't binge watch it, but I'll take what I can get.

Chris Evans seems to be under the impression he's hosting "TFI Friday.... With Cars!" His repeated attempts to get the audience whooping and cheering was painful, it was like watching a real-life 'Knowing Me, Knowing You". No doubt he found this routine a lot easier on TFI because the audience were all drinking. He reminded me of Hammond, who is also an annoying little shit, but at least he was in the sidekick role. Now he's front and centre :/

LeBlanc was ok, scriptwriters seem to want to play up his 'Joey: Ladies Man' persona. Just let him be himself.

Give it time, it might come good. Watching the first series of relaunched Top Gear was painful at times, but turned out alright.

GavinGT

Banned
You can't expect the hosts to have good banter until they've built up lots of shared experiences on camera. That's what allows them to pick on each other and the audience gets to be in on it.

I'm watching the first half of the Reliant thing. It's okay? I think?

To be fair, new Top Gear didn't get good until halfway through Series 3 when they did the Hilux challenge. The first series had that guy who talked about used cars instead of May. And no one remembers the 2nd series at all.

This combination of hosts needs at least 2 series to get good, but I don't know if most people will have the patience for that to happen.

EDIT> Ohhhhh Christ the guest star thing is sooooooo bad kill me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom