• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Could you recommend a build on that site? I can afford £870., but if I do the 12 month payment plan I can probably stretch to £1100.

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 6700HQ (2.6GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
4GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M - 6.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
Memory - Hard Disk
1TB WD SLIM BLUE 2.5" WD10SPCX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Def. Audio + MIC/Headphone + SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3

I can get this for £1079.

Looks good, but you need 8GB RAM. I also wouldn't buy until after Computex.

Will be interesting to see if all manufacturers embrace Thunderbolt 3.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Alienware Graphics Amplifier? I know that mine supports it, but I was curious as to how easy it was to work with or if it's worth buying at all. Is there a list of GPUs that are and aren't supported? Will it support the 1080? It's on sale on the website for $170 and I have a $50 gift card.....

Lots of information. Looks like it'd work with any modern GPU, GTX 1080 included.

aaronli

Neo Member
Country where it will be purchased = United Kingdom, England
Maximum budget = This is where i cant really say but could you price it according to my requirements.
Max size = no prefrence
Planned usage = Honestly i just want something that will play new games at 720p and i dont mind a low to med details as long as the frame rate is ok, I just want something that will last a few years.

battery life not a concern, noise is not a concern. I dont need a keyboard with more lights than an acid rave.

So really just something that will play upcoming games for like 3 year at a nice framerate but dont require high details.

Thank you guys

I don't think I'm going to wait for the new cards. I've been thinking about it and really only plan on playing Killer Instinct and Planet Coaster. I think having a laptop with a 970m should be fine, right? I'm looking at these right now any suggestions?

I didn't really want to spend more than $1500, but a lot of these laptops are so damn ugly. The MSI Ghost looks clean, but is an extra $200.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AC40PL2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZD7E7TA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B018WORUIA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0161CFBEU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

K.Jack

Country where it will be purchased = United Kingdom, England
Maximum budget = This is where i cant really say but could you price it according to my requirements.
Max size = no prefrence
Planned usage = Honestly i just want something that will play new games at 720p and i dont mind a low to med details as long as the frame rate is ok, I just want something that will last a few years.

battery life not a concern, noise is not a concern. I dont need a keyboard with more lights than an acid rave.

So really just something that will play upcoming games for like 3 year at a nice framerate but dont require high details.

Thank you guys

How does the £645.00 range sound? It's that price with the i5-quad, GTX 950M, 8GB RAM

Soooooo whats the dealio with pascal? Has it been revealed etc?
This week at Computex is our earliest hope, for information. We literally have nothing thus far.

I don't think I'm going to wait for the new cards. I've been thinking about it and really only plan on playing Killer Instinct and Planet Coaster. I think having a laptop with a 970m should be fine, right? I'm looking at these right now any suggestions?

I didn't really want to spend more than $1500, but a lot of these laptops are so damn ugly. The MSI Ghost looks clean, but is an extra $200.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AC40PL2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZD7E7TA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B018WORUIA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0161CFBEU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd go nuts configuring one of these. It comes pretty set out of the box, I'd just add the IPS w/ GSYNC display.

yeb

So, I'm looking for a more modest laptop that is somewhat capable of playing games - I don't mean the latest greatest games in ultra HD with 120 FPS, more like Steam backlog games. I'm still going to game primarily on my desktop, but I'll be doing a fair amount of travel/moving this year, and it's an excuse to get a new laptop. Apparently ultra-portable casual gaming laptops are a niche market though, as I've been having trouble finding anything.

Country where it will be purchased = US
Maximum budget = $650
Max size = 14"
Planned usage = Steam backlog, maybe Overwatch on low settings

These are the two that I'm currently looking at:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/y700-14-inch/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315302

I'd honestly prefer specs more in-line with the second, but it's 15.6". I might even settle for something below a 940M if I could get a 14" laptop (with a matte screen) for significantly less than that Lenovo.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Atomski

Which Macbook Pro model? Windows or OSX? Do you know your system specifications?

I have a Lenovo Y50-70 with Windows 10 and used to have screen flickering on an older Intel driver, but I haven't seen any flickering in months ever since I updated the driver.
This is the driver I'm on, but unfortunately, it's no longer available due to signature issues on Intel's end.
I haven't tried the latest driver but it should also fix the issue.

Edit: Updated to the latest Intel driver, which shows up as version 20.19.15.4424 in Device Manager. Watched a bunch of Youtube, still no flickering on my end.

I got that update as well. Still getting flicker.. it seems be power related to. Whenever I unplug the laptop and its running off the battery it flickers 3 times as much.

Ugh..

Baleoce

I'm from the UK, and currently looking around for an audio laptop to use for Bitwig and Renoise. So I'm not too fussed about what mobile GPU it has. But a decent processor, a lot of ram (around 16gb), some display extension options, and an SSD would be nice. If it has thunderbolt as well then that's great. Anyone know of any savvy buys that meet this criteria? Thought I'd ask here, seen as (strength of GPU aside) they tend to have a large overlap with gaming laptops in terms of specs.

Conceptor

Hi Laptop GAF, would like to get some recommendations for a friend if possible.

Budget: $900-1000
Requirements: dedicated gpu, Intel CPU, at least a 15.6" display
Usage: heavy photo editing/software use, multimedia work/playback. This would not be used for gaming, but at the same time, being capable would not hurt.

Unfortunately, this can't wait until after the upcoming hardware announcements. Would be purchased within a few days of this post.

I'd appreciate any help! I'm looking around at retailers and will update this with any products I find interesting.

FinKL

Hmm I'm not sure if we'll get Pascal info from 3rd party laptop manufacturers this Computex

ASUS would of been definitely been a vendor using Pascal in their laptops if it was available as this "benchmark" was recently released for a upcoming notebook forecasting a mobile Pascal chip or 2x Desktop graphics.

Fast forward to today and ASUS unveils their latest and greatest as a 2xSLI 980 Laptop.

Basically, I don't expect Pascal notebook cards in laptops for a few months, but I'll wait for Nvidia/AMD to say something soon and go from there.

UberTag

Hmm I'm not sure if we'll get Pascal info from 3rd party laptop manufacturers this Computex

ASUS would of been definitely been a vendor using Pascal in their laptops if it was available as this "benchmark" was recently released for a upcoming notebook forecasting a mobile Pascal chip or 2x Desktop graphics.

Fast forward to today and ASUS unveils their latest and greatest as a 2xSLI 980 Laptop.

Basically, I don't expect Pascal notebook cards in laptops for a few months, but I'll wait for Nvidia/AMD to say something soon and go from there.
This is especially bad news for those of us hoping for a rapid-fire Pascal turnaround.
We might all wind up playing an especially long waiting game. Thankfully my 5-year-old Compaq still seems to have some life left in it.

jetsetrez

So have we learned anything about Pascal/Polaris on mobile from Computex? Desperately want to upgrade to something with great performance/value. :(

K.Jack

Yeah, the silence on mobile Pascal isn't looking good thus far. The event does run through June 6, but confidence is extremely low at this point. It's weird because Nvidia has never not announced mobile chips at Computex, going back 5-7 years.

Only credible info we have thus far is from a Notebookcheck journo, who got an MSI rep to let slip that their new MSI GS63 will ship with GTX 970M now, and"next-gen" graphics, by October.

6 days left. Nvidia pls.

So, I'm looking for a more modest laptop that is somewhat capable of playing games - I don't mean the latest greatest games in ultra HD with 120 FPS, more like Steam backlog games. I'm still going to game primarily on my desktop, but I'll be doing a fair amount of travel/moving this year, and it's an excuse to get a new laptop. Apparently ultra-portable casual gaming laptops are a niche market though, as I've been having trouble finding anything.

Country where it will be purchased = US
Maximum budget = $650
Max size = 14"
Planned usage = Steam backlog, maybe Overwatch on low settings

These are the two that I'm currently looking at:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/y700-14-inch/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315302

I'd honestly prefer specs more in-line with the second, but it's 15.6". I might even settle for something below a 940M if I could get a 14" laptop (with a matte screen) for significantly less than that Lenovo.

Any suggestions on where to look?

The benchmarks I see say the two GPUs are within 10% of each other, so choose the laptop you like more.
I'm from the UK, and currently looking around for an audio laptop to use for Bitwig and Renoise. So I'm not too fussed about what mobile GPU it has. But a decent processor, a lot of ram (around 16gb), some display extension options, and an SSD would be nice. If it has thunderbolt as well then that's great. Anyone know of any savvy buys that meet this criteria? Thought I'd ask here, seen as (strength of GPU aside) they tend to have a large overlap with gaming laptops in terms of specs.

Shop here, good range of options.

Hi Laptop GAF, would like to get some recommendations for a friend if possible.

Budget: $900-1000
Requirements: dedicated gpu, Intel CPU, at least a 15.6" display
Usage: heavy photo editing/software use, multimedia work/playback. This would not be used for gaming, but at the same time, being capable would not hurt.

Unfortunately, this can't wait until after the upcoming hardware announcements. Would be purchased within a few days of this post.

I'd appreciate any help! I'm looking around at retailers and will update this with any products I find interesting.

Y700 maybe?

Well my hype is fading somewhat.

Not that I was likely to buy a new laptop at launch but I at least wanted to see the specs of the new mobile cards

anddo0

Nope.. For the price you could do better on the GPU front.

SAGER NP8677-S (CLEVO P670RE3) $1320
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8677s-clevo-p670re-p-8653.html

17.3" FHD Matte Screen

Intel® Skylake i7-6700HQ

NVIDIA® GTX 970M [3GB]

Up to 64GB RAM

250GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD

2+ Hours / 6.83 lbs

SAGER NP8678 (CLEVO P670-RG) (slightly more, but you get a 980m)

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8678-clevo-p670rg-p-8651.html

17.3" FHD IPS Matte Screen

Intel® Skylake i7-6700HQ

NVIDIA® GTX 980M [8GB]

Up to 64GB RAM

1TB Hard Drive

2+ Hours / 7.05 lbs

Asus 980m option
ASUS ROG G751JY-VS71(WX)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2K6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

At this point, I can't even tell you to wait.. Because, we're all in the dark in terms of the new cards.

FinKL

To add to that list and the one I'm personally looking at is the
Acer Predator 17.3" recertified for $1200 - Intel Core i7 6700HQ 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB, 256SSD 980m 4gb
Only thing that would deter me from getting it vs that XoticPC one is GSync on the monitor/risk of refurb.

This laptop has been going in and out of stock since last month, so I was in no rush to get it

eso76

So between

Asus N752VX
Asus ROG GL752VW ?

Specs are the same for the most part.
17" full HD
I7 6700HQ
16GB DDR4
SSD + 1TB HDD

Asus N 752VX has a 4GB 950m and a 256GB SSD
ROG GL 752VW has a 4GB 960m and a 128GB SSD

Also, ROG is cheaper at 1060€ vs 1200€

So, are there hidden reasons why one should pick the 752VX, besides SSD size ? (And the ROG looking hideous) ?

This won't be used for gaming tbh, but a decent GPU might help with Adobe cc and previewing 3D renders.

K.Jack

Refurbs are great, financially, but they become nightmares waiting to happen when something goes wrong outside of the 90 warranty period. That's why I personally would never take that risk. I'll pay more for security.

Not trying to be a fearmonger, but short warranties on expensive products give me chills.

But if I took that risk, it'd be for a GTX 980M.

So between

Asus N752VX
Asus ROG GL752VW ?

17" full HD
I7 6700HQ
16GB DDR4
SSD + 1TB HDD

So, are there hidden reasons why one should pick the 752VX, besides SSD size ? (And the ROG looking hideous) ?

This won't be used for gaming tbh, but a decent GPU might help with Adobe cc and previewing 3D renders.

No hidden reasons I see. Take the better GPU.

hobz360

Should I just order the MSI GT72S DOMINATOR PRO 4K-059 or do you guys think there's going to be a laptop with the GTX 1080 soon?

So between

Asus N752VX
Asus ROG GL752VW ?

17" full HD
I7 6700HQ
16GB DDR4
SSD + 1TB HDD

Considering that the 950m is quite a bit weaker than the 960m (and you WILL want to get every bit of power you can for a notebook GPU), I'd pick the ROG.

Got the GL 752VW myself, good notebook for gaming that gets you pretty much the best mobile GPU+CPU at that price in a good all around package, it runs rather cool and doesn't have nearly as much heat-throttling issues that many notebooks do (Skylake and 14nm goes a long way when it comes to durability, my I7 6700HQ keeps a solid ~3.20Ghz clock even when going up to 70-82C). Only thing bad about it is the lack of USB ports, (you only got 2 USB 3.0, one USB 2.0 and a 3.1c, so you might want a USB-hub for that), and the black surface being one hell of a fingerprint magnet.

Also make sure to get the model with the silver-aluminium casing, not the cheaper version with the plastic cover (which has durability issues). The one on the right side is the model you want to get, avoid the plastic one on the left.

K.Jack

Should I just order the MSI GT72S DOMINATOR PRO 4K-059 or do you guys think there's going to be a laptop with the GTX 1080 soon?

Does September/October qualify as "soon", to you? Because that's looking like the launch window.

My hype is back :D

I'm a patient person so I will certainly wait and see what becomes of this but DAMN a full 1080 in a laptop is insane. Yes it'll be downvolted and what not but the 980 laptop was like 94.5% of the desktop versions power. If we got even 80% of the 1080's power, that'd be like a 6.5 tflop laptop which would be a straight 50% improvement over the existing laptop 980

K.Jack

man I don't know if I can wait that long...

Well this is why I said to wait for news out of Computex. Now that we have the release window, people can decide if the wait is too long.

My hype is back :D

I'm a patient person so I will certainly wait and see what becomes of this but DAMN a full 1080 in a laptop is insane. Yes it'll be downvolted and what not but the 980 laptop was like 94.5% of the desktop versions power. If we got even 80% of the 1080's power, that'd be like a 6.5 tflop laptop which would be a straight 50% improvement over the existing laptop 980
Beyond TITAN-X performance coming to laptops in a few months.

What a time to be alive.

anddo0

It's going to be an easy wait considering the barren release date schedule that is the summer.. My current card runs every thing at comfortable rates (as good or better than PS4). This is a purchase for the future, so, I'm all in.

The prices though ...
We need AMD to show up at the party, or else we're screwed.

If they can work the same pricing magic on laptops. I'll definitely consider them.

Fusebox

Banned
Pretty sure this means those leaked benches are BS though, since they made direct reference to a variety of Pascal M parts. There won't be any Ms going forward according to this article :O

No idea what this will translate to in actual performance per watt especially at the low/mid end.

Did they just assume it'd be M architecture? Now that we know there isn't any M models I'm just assuming those benches are from a 1080 equipped laptop.

Eusis

Wonder what it'll mean for the lower end? Just keeping the lower 9xx series around until it's out and out obsolete, or will the lower end desktop GPUs scale down nicely too?

Though there hasn't been word there yet anyway.

Kieli

Wonder what the price is going to be like. :\

980M were around $1800 US at the cheapest, but full-fat 980s were around $3000.

That's a pretty steep step up.

Tizoc

Gonna let my brother onow about this but seeing as he mainly plays dota 2 on his lappy he would settle for a lower end one that can run at 60 fps+High settings
Will see what he ends up deciding on

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Wonder what the price is going to be like. :\

980M were around $1800 US at the cheapest, but full-fat 980s were around $3000.

That's a pretty steep step up.
I at least hope that it'll be around the prices we have for the fat 980's here. A decent one could set you back about €2,500, so I expect the 1070 ones to be a bit below that one.

eso76

Considering that the 950m is quite a bit weaker than the 960m (and you WILL want to get every bit of power you can for a notebook GPU), I'd pick the ROG.

Got the GL 752VW myself,

Also make sure to get the model with the silver-aluminium casing, not the cheaper version with the plastic cover (which has durability issues). The one on the right side is the model you want to get, avoid the plastic one on the left.

Thanks for the impressions and the advice.
Might be hard to pick the right one since I'll be buying online, though. Maybe it has a different code though, I'll have to check

wheeplash

A GTX1060 would be -theoretically- enough for 1080p gaming at 60fps, considering most laptop displays will stay at that resolution and refresh rate.

For everything else .. yep. Prepare to spend some big moneys.

anddo0

A GTX1060 would be -theoretically- enough for 1080p gaming at 60fps, considering most laptop displays will stay at that resolution and refresh rate.

For everything else .. yep. Prepare to spend some big moneys.

Yeah. I do, unfortunately, have a budget/limit on how much I'm actually wiling to spend. I've been waiting, and will continue to wait. But, I'm not spending more than $1999 (starting), $2499 is pushing it IMO, so I may end up getting the 1060/1070... Who knows, may end up getting a 980m/980 if prices are too unreasonable.. I still have PSVR abd Neo to think about.. My wallet :(

Top Bottom