• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Again as I said before all of that is in line with the myths taking over. The actual history was still legit when mentioned.

I mean if you loved pirates or know even a little about them it kills the suspension of disbelief. These characters in game wouldn't be this wrong. A similar plot could've easily been done centering on Nassau if you wanted to have big pirates involved, or they could've done the game just on Libertaita without involving Every.

Honestly, I'm no history buff, so if the Uncharted games' treasure hunts were entirely made up in every regard, I wouldn't even bat an eye. The fact that they're as closely tied to real events and people as they are is just icing on the cake. I couldn't've named any of the pirates that were involved in this game, let alone I didn't know about the concept of Libertalia before playing.

Cracklox

Dudes, I'm struggling a bit with this game. I've got a copy on loan so I just wanna blow through it and watch all the pretty pictures, and see and do all the cool shit. I'm up to M
adagascar
and the more the game makes me fight stuff the less motivated I get. Also, all the climbing around can get a little old. I realise it's pretty much the same formula as the rest of the series (which I enjoyed) but the whole climb shit/shoot shit/ joke about shit, lather shit, rinse shit, repeat shit might be getting a little old for this old time gamer.

Tell me it gets better? My definition of 'better' would be more set pieces and/or anything to break up the climby/shooty gameplay

Good grief, we're talking about historical accuracy in Uncharted now? This reminds me of people who argued that God Of War doesn't do Greek mythology justice because it makes shit up. The level of nitpick some people on GAF will do is ridiculous.

I know right. I've heard plenty of complaints regarding the series, some pretty valid, others not. Historical inaccuracies is certainly something new to me, and probably fits the latter. Each for there own though

Most people peg Tew as being dead in 1695 which is when the Gunsboat heist occurs and while Every does live past that, Tew isn't there to help found Libertatia and Anne Bonny absolutely isn't present and neither is Christopher Condent.

In this game Drake mention that several of the Pirates faked their deaths. But yeah I guess Bonny couldn't have been there, but idk that doesn't detract from the story at all for me. The Pirates may as well be fictional characters for all I care

Dudes, I'm struggling a bit with this game. I've got a copy on loan so I just wanna blow through it and watch all the pretty pictures, and see and do all the cool shit. I'm up to M
adagascar
and the more the game makes me fight stuff the less motivated I get. Also, all the climbing around can get a little old. I realise it's pretty much the same formula as the rest of the series (which I enjoyed) but the whole climb shit/shoot shit/ joke about shit, lather shit, rinse shit, repeat shit might be getting a little old for this old time gamer.

Tell me it gets better? My definition of 'better' would be more set pieces and/or anything to break up the climby/shooty gameplay

I know right. I've heard plenty of complaints regarding the series, some pretty valid, others not. Historical inaccuracies is certainly something new to me, and probably fits the latter. Each for there own though

I mean, the climby breaks up the shooty gameplay and the shooty breaks up the climby. If you're looking for something to break up both of those and puzzles AND story, you're out of luck. I may be misremembering, but I don't think the game turns into an RTS or anything in the second half.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I mean if you loved pirates or know even a little about them it kills the suspension of disbelief. These characters in game wouldn't be this wrong. A similar plot could've easily been done centering on Nassau if you wanted to have big pirates involved, or they could've done the game just on Libertaita without involving Every.
It's strange to see not only Anne Bonny somehow being born earlier than she was before, but also absolutely no mention whatsoever of Mary Read. I mean ffs she was even born where in Devon, New England just like Avery.

Surprisingly continuing to like this a lot more my second go around. I thought the pacing might be an issue for replays, but I'm finding that not to be the case. I'd still like a few more encounters, and I really wish the boat setpiece were in its proper place in the chapter and expanded, but the fights punctuate the the game at good moments and are generally so thrilling and dynamic that they almost make up for the dearth of combat setpieces. Did the chapter 13 encounter totally different than the first time around and it was filled with moments that are so cool it's hard to believe it's not scripted.

I'm currently on my third playthrough, and like my first and second playthrough, I keep finding myself exploring the environments. There's not much to collect, but there's so much to see! The environments in Uncharted 4 are some of the best environments I've ever explored in a video game. The level design is perfection.

Ascenion

In this game Drake mention that several of the Pirates faked their deaths. But yeah I guess Bonny couldn't have been there, but idk that doesn't detract from the story at all for me. The Pirates may as well be fictional characters for all I care

Condent wouldn't have been there either as he either wouldn't have been alive or would've been a child. The game makes it seem as if Libertatia was founded after the Gunsway heist because it has to be, because Every's pirate career doesn't start until around the mid 1690s when Libertatia is usually pegged as being founded around 1690 and even then by James Mission not Every. It's all over the place.

It's strange to see not only Anne Bonny somehow being born earlier than she was before, but also absolutely no mention whatsoever of Mary Read. I mean ffs she was even born where in Devon, New England just like Avery.

That's a great point. Anne Bonny basically has to come with Read and Calico Jack so that's a pretty blaring omission.

Neiteio

Surprisingly continuing to like this a lot more my second go around. I thought the pacing might be an issue for replays, but I'm finding that not to be the case. I'd still like a few more encounters, and I really wish the boat setpiece were in its proper place in the chapter and expanded, but the fights punctuate the the game at good moments and are generally so thrilling and dynamic that they almost make up for the dearth of combat setpieces. Did the chapter 13 encounter totally different than the first time around and it was filled with moments that are so cool it's hard to believe it's not scripted.
I had company over tonight, and played up through the
auction heist and escape
. I'm on Ch. 19 in my main file, so this was a new file. I'm surprised how smoothly it went. It feels a lot tighter the second time through these chapters. I mashed X to scurry through the platforming sections like a monkey, and I'm playing this on the second lowest difficulty with lock-on enabled for the sake of speed. It's a lot of fun this way, actually.

But now we're at
Scotland
, which felt really drawn out my first time through. I'm interested to see if I can get through it quicker this time, for the sake of pacing, and if it will still hold my friend's interest. I think that on this lower difficulty, and with an idea of what to do, I can go through it quicker...

Overall, my opinion of this game has actually improved by revisiting it. Maybe I was too hasty to say it would have poor replay value.

Cracklox

I mean, the climby breaks up the shooty gameplay and the shooty breaks up the climby. If you're looking for something to break up both of those and puzzles AND story, you're out of luck. I may be misremembering, but I don't think the game turns into an RTS or anything in the second half.

Ha. You ruined my hopes of it going all diablo clone ;)

And yeah I get it. The gameplay is what it is I suppose. I think it's more me then the game. I'm actually not minding the story so far (wasn't really a fan in the other games) and the puzzles I've come across have been sorta cool I suppose. Plus it all looks great.

I'll keep on trucking for now. I've already unashamedley dialed down the difficulty to make progress easier so see what happens....

Shin-chan

I really think my first play through issues were to do with expectations - I expected several set pieces on the level of Chapter 11 and much more fighting overall (since even The Last of Us had more than enough of this).

Once you understand what the game is trying to do and just kind of go with it its easier to appreciate.

That said, our criticisms are about the same like on the other page. It's frustrating how much potential there is here.

I wonder how many combat arenas/encounters were created only to be thrown away. Hopefully they can reuse them in the DLC and co-op.

soultron

Banned
Good point. Although, after playing the game, telling me that adding an option to watch the cut-scenes can be difficult to implement, would be quite funny.

I'm not tech guru though.
I'm only guessing, but the cutscenes in UC1+2+3 looked like prerendered bink videos, whereas UC4's cutscenes look as though they might be in-engine. If true, this would make adding the option to rematch cutscenes from the menu a bit more difficult to implement. It still might happen regardless. Maybe send them an email or message them on social media about it?

Alienous

Really, people are arguing with the fact that the game isn't historically correct?

Have you played Assassin's Creed?

Doesn't Assassin's Creed open by saying any connection between it and real characters is strictly coincidental?

EDIT:
Just checked. It says 'inspired by real world characters'.

Unfortunately this game made me feel like I wasted $40, because the amazing storytelling experience was worth about the cost of a movie ticket + a $5 tip for ND being the best at pulling heart strings.

I sincerely believe that TR2013 did the "game" part way better. Upgrades, more combat, more exploring. Cannot wait for RoTR PS4, BRING IT ON.

UC4 def. made me yearn for the PS4 version of RoTR. This is just the least replayable Uncharted, and it blows my mind that they would so drastically change the formula on the final installment. Absolutely it is a great game, but ti is a disappointing Uncharted in many aspects.

Ricky_R

I'm only guessing, but the cutscenes in UC1+2+3 looked like prerendered bink videos, whereas UC4's cutscenes look as though they might be in-engine. If true, this would make adding the option to rematch cutscenes from the menu a bit more difficult to implement. It still might happen regardless. Maybe send them an email or message them on social media about it?

Yeah, cut-scenes in Uncharted 4 are in real time. They were pre-rendered videos in Drake's Fortune all the way through TLOU. My point was that, after playing the game, considering how ridiculous it looks and how techinically proficient ND is, it would be funny (or ironic?) if they couldn't implement the option.

BibiMaghoo

Really, people are arguing with the fact that the game isn't historically correct?

While I agree with the sentiment, if you* or I were well versed on Pirate history, it would likely stand out much more than a comment on a forum removed from the game. I care not for it's historical accuracy - none of the games have been, they have used aspects of history to write unique stories - but I can totally understand how it would be a problem for those who are knowledgeable about such things.

*I made the assumption you are not clued up on pirate history. My bad if you are.

Anne Bonny and Cristopher Condent being alive before records say they were born is more believable than every single puzzle contraption being built in Avery/Tew's lifetimes. That must have wrecked the game if historical inaccuracies threw you.

Shin-chan

Man, I feel like all the people hoping Rise of the Tomb Raider is even half this good are in for a rude awakening come October/November.

adagascar

My advice would be to play the game as action sequences. If you're playing it as a cover shooter, you're doing it wrong. Uncharted is a run-and-gun game and a really fun one at that.

I had company over tonight, and played up through the
auction heist and escape
. I'm on Ch. 19 in my main file, so this was a new file. I'm surprised how smoothly it went. It feels a lot tighter the second time through these chapters. I mashed X to scurry through the platforming sections like a monkey, and I'm playing this on the second lowest difficulty with lock-on enabled for the sake of speed. It's a lot of fun this way, actually.

But now we're at
Scotland
, which felt really drawn out my first time through. I'm interested to see if I can get through it quicker this time, for the sake of pacing, and if it will still hold my friend's interest. I think that on this lower difficulty, and with an idea of what to do, I can go through it quicker...

Overall, my opinion of this game has actually improved by revisiting it. Maybe I was too hasty to say it would have poor replay value.
Yeah, and the second time around you also notice that all those little alternate pathways and climbing options that lead to the same thing can be used as a "golden path" to speed things up. You can beat chapter 12 in mere minutes too once you know where to go. I really like the Scotland sections, they're one of my favorite parts of the game. I love the location and I think combat is paced really well there and the traversal has a nice kinetic feel with all the sliding. I could never use aim assist tho, I just love the combat too much, the feel of aiming spraying bullets everywhere as you're scrapping around is too good.

I really think my first play through issues were to do with expectations - I expected several set pieces on the level of Chapter 11 and much more fighting overall (since even The Last of Us had more than enough of this).

Once you understand what the game is trying to do and just kind of go with it its easier to appreciate.

That said, our criticisms are about the same like on the other page. It's frustrating how much potential there is here.

I wonder how many combat arenas/encounters were created only to be thrown away. Hopefully they can reuse them in the DLC and co-op.

Same, I was hyper conscious about how spread out the encounters were the first time through (likely from reading the criticisms about the lack of encounters on here) so it made it tough to enjoy some sections.

It's still definitely not perfect, but now I can enjoy it without expectations in mind. I enjoyed Uncharted 2 & 3 a lot more after the second playthrough as well for the same reason.

But not gonna lie I will be pretty bummed if the DLC is not fairly action heavy. It seems like the perfect opportunity to create a tightly paced action romp and get one last big setpiece in there so Uncharted goes out with a bang.

zkorejo

Finally ended it. Some part of me didn't want it to but I wanted to finish it before Blood and Wine.

They could not have done a better end. It was perfect.

If I have to nitpick, I would go on to say
Rafe was really... dumb
. But then again, So were Marlowe and Roman.

Binabik15

I love the shooting mixed with ransversal and melee way too much to NOT want more encounters.

People bitched about all the fighting in UC 1-3. I loved every second. Now they got what they wanted :/ I would be happy with getting some combat areas as DLC or simply a chance to replay encounters from the main game without going through the whole level. Just the shoot bang part without having to do MP, which I don't likein general and I'm out of Plus right now.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If we're discussing historical accuracies, might as well mention that El Dorado myth came from Bogota, Colombia and was just a man who covered himself up in gold powder and immersed himself in a river. Nothing more.

Nothing about that was mentioned! Dammit, ND! Also: Colombians in Drake's Deception speak with a Mexican accent, not a Colombian accent.

I love the shooting mixed with ransversal and melee way too much to NOT want more encounters.

People bitched about all the fighting in UC 1-3. I loved every second. Now they got what they wanted :/ I would be happy with getting some combat areas as DLC or simply a chance to replay encounters from the main game without going through the whole level. Just the shoot bang part without having to do MP, which I don't likein general and I'm out of Plus right now.

There is encounter select so you can skip right to the combat

Bluenoser

Finally ended it. Some part of me didn't want it to but I wanted to finish it before Blood and Wine.

They could not have done a better end. It was perfect.

If I have to nitpick, I would go on to say
Rafe was really... dumb
. But then again, So were Marlowe and Roman.

I liked the villain. Everything was based on
jealousy of Nate,
which was a unique take on it. The final battle was
dumb mechanic wise, but it was great from a character development standpoint.

Ascenion

Anne Bonny and Cristopher Condent being alive before records say they were born is more believable than every single puzzle contraption being built in Avery/Tew's lifetimes. That must have wrecked the game if historical inaccuracies threw you.

Like I said myths don't bug me. No one really believes Libertatia exists. And no one has ever found it. They can take as much creative license as they want with that. All of that fits well within my suspension of disbelief. If it existed from 1690 -1715 then any active pirate between that time period could have been there by all means, but no I can't believe that inactive pirates and pirates that didn't even exist yet founded a colony no one associates them with roughly 5 years after it is usually said to be founded when they still weren't born or were 6 years old.

Man, I feel like all the people hoping Rise of the Tomb Raider is even half this good are in for a rude awakening come October/November.

I think this depends on what you were expecting from Uncharted 4.

Damn , i really love this game but for the love of god , the jeep segment in chapter 11 is just flawed .i'm fighting the game to make the jeep go the way i want to when i had no problem in chapter 10. on crushing , this level is just so annoying.
And it's a total shame because i feel it's very nicely constructed and the chase is way longer on high difficulty making the excitement "just right"
But i'm fighting the jeep for it to go the way i want to and she doesn't have much resistance.

What a shame..why are the jeep controls so shit in chapter 11 ? It's the only complain i have about this game

zkorejo

I liked the villain. Everything was based on
jealousy of Nate,
which was a unique take on it. The final battle was
dumb mechanic wise, but it was great from a character development standpoint.

I have completely opposite thoughts on that.

Final battle was done really well... nothing wrong with the mechanics at all IMO. It's just that for a guy who has been as much obsessed with Avery's treasure as young Sam/Nate were, he had absolutely no idea and/or had done zero research on the topic and had to constantly rely on Drake brothers or Nadine and her army. It's like aspiring to be Christiano Ronaldo when you have never in your life even kicked a football.

The most idiotic thing he did was slapping Nadine across her face (that actually really surprised me like WTF was that for you idiot?!). And then he gets even dumber, after that he actually went on and invited her to come with him like she was going to forgive and forget.. I mean how dumb are you Rafe?

killersrquietMV

Neo Member
10/10 for me.

I really liked the infusion of standard UC gameplay with more focus on story and character development. It worked very well here even if the game had more in common with TLOU as a result.

The graphics are unreal. Photo realistic and easily the best looking game on any console. I've never hit the screenshot button this much before :)

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Nadine is the real (villain) star of the game. She's much more interesting than Rafe.
(Strong black mercenary woman against rich daddy's boy, there's no contest)

I wished that they got rid of Rafe and Nadine was the final antagonist. Talking about the last "boss" fight, i thought the fight against Nadine, where you and Sam fight together was 10 times better, even with Uncharted's rudimentary melee combat. It was much more dynamic.

soultron

Banned
Yeah, cut-scenes in Uncharted 4 are in real time. They were pre-rendered videos in Drake's Fortune all the way through TLOU. My point was that, after playing the game, considering how ridiculous it looks and how techinically proficient ND is, it would be funny (or ironic?) if they couldn't implement the option.

It'd probably require a bit more loading compared to streaming a bink video. Know how the game has a bit of a load-in time when you hit "Continue" on the Main Menu? I'd imagine that would happen for every cutscene you wanted to play; the loading for cinematics is often covered up in game as you play.

Not unfeasible, still. A bit of a challenge and depending on how its executed, could be a bit of a rough feature. If ND managed (somehow) to get the load times down for a Watch Cutscene feature, it'd be awesome. Here's hoping they can.

Out of curiosity, how long are the load-in times for the Encounter Select mode? That'd be an interesting comparison, though not scientific by any means.

Nev

Banned
Nadine is the real star of the game. She's much more interesting than Rafe.
(Strong black mercenary woman against rich daddy's boy, there's no contest)

I wished that they got rid of Rafe and Nadine was the final antagonist. Talking about the last "boss" fight, i thought the fight against Nadine, where you and Sam fight together was 10 times better, even with Uncharted's rudimentary melee combat. It was much more dynamic.

There was no need to have Nadine as a
final boss
. The real antagonist of the story was always
Rafe
.The fact that she's still
uncontested
by the end of the story makes her more awesome. Forcing a
final boss fight
on her because "evil guys have to die" would've been inconsistent, dumb and out of character.

Bluenoser

I have completely opposite thoughts on that.

Final battle was done really well... nothing wrong with the mechanics at all IMO. It's just that for a guy who has been as much obsessed with Avery's treasure as young Sam/Nate were, he had absolutely no idea and/or had done zero research on the topic and had to constantly rely on Drake brothers or Nadine and her army. It's like aspiring to be Christiano Ronaldo when you have never in your life even kicked a football.

The most idiotic thing he did was slapping Nadine across her face (that actually really surprised me like WTF was that for you idiot?!). And then he gets even dumber, after that he actually went on and invited her to come with him like she was going to forgive and forget.. I mean how dumb are you Rafe?

The thing I didn't like about that final fight was 1)
It was exactly like the Talbot fight. I would have liked some originality.
2) The camera angle got fucked up at times where it was hard to see which direction his attack was coming from, and thus, a complete guess as to which button to press.

I agree about Rafe's relationship with Nadine and his
lack of independent research, but understand that he's rich, and has the means to buy his way in rather than do the work himself. His obsession isn't about getting the treasure, but being famous, and remembered.

Ricker

Do I have to reload a checkpoint in chapter 20...? stuck in the water where he says worst Cruise ever...cant find how to get out of there before he runs out of air...awful underwater controls like in every game ever lol...

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Just beat it last night. It was pretty good. Honestly I was a bit sad when it finished. Kind of the end of an era. Such is life I guess.

Just need to score up a few more trophies and I will call it done. I really missed the mystical elements...

Do I have to reload a checkpoint in chapter 20...? stuck in the water where he says worst Cruise ever...cant find how to get out of there before he runs out of air...awful underwater controls like in every game ever lol...

When you fell under the water if you don't touch anything the camera always points towards the exit.

Yurikerr

There was no need to have Nadine as a
final boss
. The real antagonist of the story was always
Rafe
.The fact that she's still uncontested by the end of the story makes her more awesome. Forcing a fight on her because "evil guys have to die" would've been inconsistent, dumb and out of character.

But that's the thing, she doesn't need to die at the end. I agree that always killing the villain is pretty lazy.

I don't know how they could made that
Rafe wasn't the final boss, it's just that i found his character so boring...
And it's not even that he's underdeveloped, it's just that the stereotype that he (so well) represents is kind of lame.

I agree that he was always the antagonist, it's just that I found Nadine to be much more interesting.
Learning that her milicia was almost going bankrupt was a little interesting detail that made more sense about why she was as interested as Rafe in the search, seeing as it was clear that at the end she just wanted to gtfo that island.

Ricker

When you fell under the water if you don't touch anything the camera always points towards the exit.

Well it reloads me in the water now(I tried 20 times) and the rest of the ship starts to sink on top of me...no clue where to go,I will try and notice what you said.

Well it reloads me in the water now(I tried 20 times) and the rest of the ship starts to sink on top of me...no clue where to go,I will try and notice what you said.

At middle way you pass a hole and have to breath, there's a little cinematic before diving again, after that moment Drake should be facing/looking towards the exit.

Yurikerr

Hey man, if you still having problems check this YT video. I think that's the part where you're stuck (I needed like 5 tries too).

I already time stamped it, so you can watch only the relevant part and stop before getting spoiled.

https://youtu.be/mEUSmEgS024?t=676

Secret of Evermore

I don't know why, but after the boss in the Chest room Area right before the forest maze, the bridge on the right was open(suppose to be close at this point). Went there and get to the room right behind the Magic rat., then decide to do the thing backward, get to the prison. Save there with a monster that ask to save. For some reason, none of the exit in the prison were working. I was stuck there forever, no way to leave this place....

nick-young-confused-face_nz4mdy.jpg

soultron

Banned
Secret of Evermore

I don't know why, but after the boss in the Chest room Area right before the forest maze, the bridge on the right was open(suppose to be close at this point). Went there and get to the room right behind the Magic rat., then decide to do the thing backward, get to the prison. Save there with a monster that ask to save. For some reason, none of the exit in the prison were working. I was stuck there forever, no way to leave this place....

You need to use the Cintamani Stone Shard to open the exit to the prison.

Secret of Evermore

Damn, your copy had
a supernatural element?

Cappa

Banned
Am i the only one who finds it annoying there is no sprint button? Like there are segments that I just want to blow through...

P.s. If theres a way to sprint please call me a moron and let me know how ita done. Thanks!

It's a shame that the franchise never had a memorable final boss.
I wonder why they never did something like the tank or helicopter fight from U2 for the final boss.
I get that a one on one fight with the bad guy feels more personal but I still think it would've been better.
Just put the villain in a vehicle and make the fight an awesome setpiece like the ones I mentioned.

Top Bottom