• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the same reason you mentioned, while this iteration will still be fine, next iteration the gap will be wider and the issues will pop up. Unless Nintendo pulls up another Wii U and drops another console mid gen.

Wii U lived what it needed to live, for better or worse Nintendo is outside the traditional console cycle since the Wii

There is no more generations. There is no more cycles, except for "how many iOS versions to we give this older iPhone" applied to the console space. Guess it hasn't hit everyone yet.

Gaming/platform as a service is real now. Nintendo can put out another nx device whenever it wants. Just like what Sony and Microsoft are working towards now. They can all do it yearly if they were so inclined. With more than 50 or maybe even 60 million devices between them, they aren't going to be abandoning the base any time soon.

And lol at people thinking anyone is selling the new premium sku at a loss. Enthusiast market is used to taking it how they give it. This won't be any different

I was thinking that the SCD could use defected chips from the fab that can't be used in the consoles. For example, they may not necessarily need the same number of CPU cores for the SCD so they can use parts with more CPU defects.

That is actually a really interesting point, as it would presumably greatly lower costs overall and be Nintendo-esquely efficient. But wouldn't that present a huge problem when it comes to game development? If the SCDs are supposed to create a second target for hardware capabilities, then wouldn't the SCD power level need to be consistent across all of the released SCD hardware? I suppose if they only need half the cores then they could use all of the chips with half the cores and above for the SCDs, and only ever use half.

I am now officially worried for Nintendo. Just seems like it's bizarre news after bizarre news

Actually in this case it's bizarre news BEFORE bizarre news. Check the date of the OP, this thread's been around for a while.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There is no more generations. There is no more cycles, except for "how many iOS versions to we give this older iPhone" applied to the console space. Guess it hasn't hit everyone yet.

Gaming/platform as a service is real now. Nintendo can put out another nx device whenever it wants. Just like what Sony and Microsoft are working towards now. They can all do it yearly if they were so inclined. With more than 50 or maybe even 60 million devices between them, they aren't going to be abandoning the base any time soon.

And lol at people thinking anyone is selling the new premium sku at a loss. Enthusiast market is used to taking it how they give it. This won't be any different

You could at least read also the follow up posts. Not that your post has anything to do with our discussion anyhow.

MacTag

Banned
Yeah, but with the iterative consoles, the mid and late cycle should overlap with the early and mid cycle of the next iteration. So this should not happen again. But this also mean that NX2 can't be too far away in specs from NX. Which will mean that the gap will get big enough for Nintendo to lose contact with the others in the second iteration.

I think Microsoft plans Scorpio as the first console in the iterative ones, they will break from Xbone.

So for me, Nintendo is creating their own niche going forward.
We just don't know how they'll approach it. Traditionally we see NCL (EPD) really focus on a system for it's first 2-3 years, then after that support is mostly via engine recycled sequels, external 1st party studios and contracted 3rd party partners. This trend could continue as is with NX and the systems would still see solid 1st party support for a full console cycle.

There's also the whole handheld factor. Today's NX console spec could be tomorrow's NX handheld spec, ensuring continued Japanese and indie support for longer without necessarily synching up to the PS/Xbox upgrade cycle. Going this route Nintendo systems could even see longer than usual support.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I would never do such a thing. My post reflects the overall mood conveyed in this thread and all who posted in it prior to my own.

It adds nothing to the discussion, it doesn't even express your own opinion on the topic at hand. It has practically no added value even assuming that your summary would be correct.

We just don't know how they'll approach it. Traditionally we see NCL (EPD) really focus on a system for it's first 2-3 years, then after that support is mostly via engine recycled sequels, external 1st party studios and contracted 3rd party partners. This trend could continue as is with NX and the systems would still see solid 1st party support for a full console cycle.

There's also the whole handheld factor. Today's NX console spec could be tomorrow's NX handheld spec, ensuring continued Japanese and indie support for longer without necessarily synching up to the PS/Xbox upgrade cycle. Going this route Nintendo systems could even see longer than usual support.

That practically means creating their own niche. Which is neither good nor bad until we see the success of this initiative.

ffvorax

Not surprised if true, I never believed that it could be a console with much power... Nintendo strenght was never about raw power on their console.

Aroll

That's a pretty big "if". I'm still not convinced the market is there to support this business plan for a video game console. It may go well this time around but I have a feeling it tails off very quickly.

As for Nintendo, perhaps the rumors from last year about them going with a very affordable console that can upgrade over time are true. That may be their niche in this space.

You know, an easily plug and play upgradable console would certainly be unique and while it's PC like, it's also PC light, in that it would be so easy a caveman can do it kind of way. Even as PC's are relatively easy to build (as they say, adult lego), there is still a lot you can screw up with improper sockets, motherboards that don't support the right version of PCIe for your GPU, incompatible ram (or mixing different types of ram for poor performance)... yada yada. Just a lot of things can get screwy and if you follow any tech youtube channels, you'll see them run into problems that make them scratch their heads... and they mess with hardware for a living.

An easy plug and play upgrade system for a home console would be unprecedented. Whether or not consumers take to it? Beats me.

Calm Mind

It adds nothing to the discussion, it doesn't even express your own opinion on the topic at hand. It has practically no added value even assuming that your summary would be correct.

That practically means creating their own niche. Which is neither good nor bad until we see the success of this initiative.

And complaining about the rumored specs of the Neo and Scorpio is? And since when has Nintendo's competition ever factored into their own hardware making decisions?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And crying about the rumored specs of the Neo and Scorpio is? And since when has Nintendo's competition ever factored into their own hardware making decisions?

Now when I see what you understood, I regret my decision. Your first post was much better.

Who's crying? And the whole discussion is under the assumption that Nintendo doesn't factor in the competitors.

I dont see why being an Arm co sole would be a detriment at this point

"Enough power" at a mass market pricepoint with easy development tools and a large volume of quality software?

Sounds good enough to me... At least on the consumer end. You guys can argue the rest

I think earlier in this thread we had a few people saying that SLI doesn't optimize well for gaming, for whatever reason. That's one of the things I'd like some more tech minded people to expand on, especially now that we are trying to figure out if an NX with SCDs could compete with a 6TF Scorpio.

The dream of giant addons is not one I share tbh and I don't think it will be a reality. I don't know much about linking multiple devices but you might as well forget about using the original processor if you're picturing high end console specs to be repeatedly matched in a series of new console sized boxes.

As far as I understood it an SCD should have the ability to run semi independently, at least as part of a remote network, this would require it to have its own cpu and Ram, network chip, it can't only be a new graphics processor that slots in to your console. It would practically be a new console minus tv out, media slot, and storage..

What I think is much more likely to see is an scd being a proprietary data storage device, the patent iirc says it could cover either data resources or processing resources, and a data style addon (a networked hdd) would in my mind gel very closely with their patent for game apparatus without optical drive, which deals with copying data to other devices at varying speeds.

udivision

I dont see why being an Arm co sole would be a detriment at this point

"Enough power" at a mass market pricepoint with easy development tools and a large volume of quality software?

Sounds good enough to me... At least on the consumer end. You guys can argue the rest

The 3 assumptions you're making can still be argued though.

3. Can someone explain why exactly it is so difficult to use two GPUs on the same task? Again, I don't know much about how processing works at these levels, so if it's simply not possible that really does limit the usefulness of the SCD idea. But if Nintendo could come up with some solution for supplementing GPU power the SCDs get a lot more interesting.

The most basic thing that must be understood is that SLI/Crossfire run a single program designed to use 1 GPU on 2 or more GPUs.

A relatively simple use of SCD featuring everything would be utilizing "legacy" SoC exclusively for OS stuff (...which is sort of similar to Nintendo's usage of BC elements in their existing systems...). Besides that (and running multiple games at once for whatever reason), you're moving into a single game explicitly managing multiple GPUs. This should work well with split screen or GamePad (assuming TV and GP are both busy with their own non-trivial things), and similar situations where you have some really obviously separate stuff going on (maybe some GPGPU stuff would qualify, I'm not sure).

However if you have a game which does nothing like that, and most single player games at the moment don't seem to, it starts to get stupid. Multiple GPUs typically cannot share texture RAM. As for workload, well, it's basically harder to coordinate two things than one. You need to merge the results somehow, distribute the work without completely screwing it up... it's a mess, simply put. Not impossible, and surely easier to manipulate on the game side than by the driver, but still a mess.

There's always going to be some kind of software overhead. So if one SCD and console have the same GPU specs, you won't get 2x performance. It's more like 1.7-1.8x. If you can plug in more than one SCD, the overhead increases as well.

I've heard that DX12's implementation of multi-GPU is pretty easy to get working compared to SLI or Crossfire, and it allows for asymmetrical GPU configs. Does Vulkan have a similar thing?

So essentially you get diminishing returns the more SCDs you connect? The best way I could see a console upgradeable with SCDs would be to have a single SCD dedicated to processing, and then potentially separate ones dedicated to storage/network/whatever other features they want, where the processing SCD releases once as a 5 year hardware refresh, and then 10 years after the NX releases, a new console is released. Either that or you replace SCD1.0 with SCD2.0, which has twice the power of SCD1.0. It seems like you can't really add on SCDs indefinitely for processing power according to what you said.

The dream of giant addons is not one I share tbh and I don't think it will be a reality. I don't know much about linking multiple devices but you might as well forget about using the original processor if you're picturing high end console specs to be repeatedly matched in a series of new console sized boxes.

As far as I understood it an SCD should have the ability to run semi independently, at least as part of a remote network, this would require it to have its own cpu and Ram, network chip, it can't only be a new graphics processor that slots in to your console. It would practically be a new console minus tv out, media slot, and storage..

What I think is much more likely to see is an scd being a proprietary data storage device, the patent iirc says it could cover either data resources or processing resources, and a data style addon (a networked hdd) would in my mind gel very closely with their patent for game apparatus without optical drive, which deals with copying data to other devices at varying speeds.

Could you elaborate on why you don't think it will be used for high end upgrades? The way I see it, they could essentially release one SCD per generation which acts as the "pro"/Neo/Scorpio version of their console, except instead of having to replace your old console you simply buy an add-on for your existing console. I doubt the SCDs would HAVE to be able to run independently- the claims of the patent focus more on the upgrading aspect than they do on the cloud processing aspect, which I doubt we will see (at least in this generation).

The most basic thing that must be understood is that SLI/Crossfire run a single program designed to use 1 GPU on 2 or more GPUs.

A relatively simple use of SCD featuring everything would be utilizing "legacy" SoC exclusively for OS stuff (...which is sort of similar to Nintendo's usage of BC elements in their existing systems...). Besides that (and running multiple games at once for whatever reason), you're moving into a single game explicitly managing multiple GPUs. This should work well with split screen or GamePad (assuming TV and GP are both busy with their own non-trivial things), and similar situations where you have some really obviously separate stuff going on (maybe some GPGPU stuff would qualify, I'm not sure).

However if you have a game which does nothing like that, and most single player games at the moment don't seem to, it starts to get stupid. Multiple GPUs typically cannot share texture RAM. As for workload, well, it's basically harder to coordinate two things than one. You need to merge the results somehow, distribute the work without completely screwing it up... it's a mess, simply put. Not impossible, and surely easier to manipulate on the game side than by the driver, but still a mess.

Yeah, it's starting to sound like it would be more trouble than it's worth- another barrier for third party ports. Unless of course Nintendo could create some interesting software solution, or use super customized GPUs which are designed to work together (if such a thing exists).

Thanks for the input, all!

May I ask, why does everyone take this as fact?

If you read through the thread a lot of us don't. And even if Emily Rogers' info is accurate, that doesn't mean that the real performance of the NX will be below that of the PS4. On paper spces (raw power) and real world performance are not the same, especially if using different architectures/chip providers.

udivision

How? She vaguely leaked that there would be a new Paper Mario game. Outside of that, she doesn't have much of a track record and has been wrong many many times.

Well, she leaked it though and she was right.

I guess we can wait a few weeks for the Zelda E3. If there is voice acting and choosing a playable hero, it wouldn't make much sense to doubt her.

Instro

Just want to point out that the Paper Mario rumor originated from Japan/2chan due to recruiting info back in 2015, not Emily or the other usual rumor suspects.

geordiemp

Could you elaborate on why you don't think it will be used for high end upgrades? The way I see it, they could essentially release one SCD per generation which acts as the "pro"/Neo/Scorpio version of their console, except instead of having to replace your old console you simply buy an add-on for your existing console

Remember Nintendo do not 'design' the hardware components, they use either AMD or Nvidia, neither of which has brought out a successful SLI or GPU upgrade add on.....

Basically if you want a TF upgrade you plug a new GPU card in, so unless an SCD is a GPU card which plugs in then the TF will be what it is imo.

Cant see it simply being a plug in proprietary GPU card, as thats hardly patent stuff, but who knows..

So a GPU card in console terms means a APU (CPU + GPU), bus, memory and all main board (basically a new console minus the cheap bits).

Think of the console like a car....the main board is like the car minus the wheels, is it worth keeping the old wheels and plugging in a new car.....or just shipping a new car ?

I would love to know what SCD is, sometimes I think its like QOL (keep investors happy and confused), we will never know.

caleb1915

MtZ9N.gif

:p

MuchoMalo

Banned
Her contacts are well placed. You can doubt the information if you like, but it wouldn't be the safe side to be on.

The "safe side" is to take any rumor with a grain of salt, no matter who it is and especially when it's vague to the point of barely making sense due to extremely poor paraphrasing. She's going to be called wrong by someone no matter what happens due to that. I think that what's she's heard is most likely correct (though I'm still kinda iffy on the Zelda rumors and that'll be a test imo), but the problem is that even she doesn't seem to really know what she's been told. i wouldn't even be surprised if she ended up jumbling a few things together by mistake. I'm sticking to the safe side and assuming that she heard that it's noticeably weaker than Xbone though, but still relatively close.

It pains a bleak picture of the new system. The other guy, who pointed to some rumors in a more positive way, was quickly dismissed, ridiculed, and then summarily showed the exit.

Had she said "NX is beyond PS4/Xbox", she would had be marked as "untrustworthy".

Those are still unverified rumors. So, grain of salt.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Emily has proven to be pretty reliable since 2012-2013. People have already listed several times the things she got quite right. But it's always possible she gets something wrong, hopefully she's not this time :p

...if PewDiePie can start a video series on Bayonetta 2, then I suppose Emily Rogers can be flatout wrong as well, LOL

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
To be noted that Emily shared her info and sources for this also with NateDrake who confirmed in this thread that she has legit sources for this info.

Edit:

Had a lengthy chat with Emily today, and she shared some information with me on all the rumor talk going on recently. Those thinking she is making stuff up for attention or that is she holding a carrot in front of you for laughs are wrong. Her sources are legit, and the claims are backed by several sources. She is sharing the information she has and is clearing the air of misinformation. It isn't being shared for attention.

She did say I could share this small bit with you: "Nvidia is involved with Nintendo's future hardware."

Earendil

To be noted that Emily shared her info and sources for this also with NateDrake who confirmed in this thread that she has legit sources for this info.

Edit:

Forgive my ignorance, but what are NateDrake's credentials? I'm not doubting him, but I would like to know why he is considered a trustworthy source.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Forgive my ignorance, but what are NateDrake's credentials? I'm not doubting him, but I would like to know why he is considered a trustworthy source.

And the next question will be what are the credentials of whom says that NateDrake is to be trusted and so on. In the end it's a rumour, so you're free to not believe it.

Big Nikus

Semi-related to the thread, but here's a video of a french sitcom of the 90's, in which the characters want to buy a NX: https://youtu.be/3aq9iDGTLuY?t=15s
NX is pronounced like "Enix" in french.
16-bits multiprocessors guys, Stereo Sound, 65000 colors, 330Mo cartridges. I'm down.

I remember that in this episode, the "NX" was the name they used for the Neo-Geo.

So is Nvidia working on both the console & the handheld? Because we heard one report about Nvidia helping with the NX Handheld.

So does this mean that the NX's RAM stated is not what we get in the box at premium price :D...

Seriously though nVidia have been out of the business for a while, be interesting to see what they bring to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom