• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Cjq4mnjVEAAYgyO.jpg:orig

Robert's high kick looks very very strange

N4Us

Don't think Kula was ever able to cancel her cr.C in any KoF game, if she was able to in the PSE build, it make sense that they took it out now.

Yeah she couldn't in other games, I remember it being a big deal that she could in the PSE build.

N4Us

Thanks for the impressions man, what did you think of the game in general?

I liked my time with it. It did 'feel slow' for the first several matches but was easier to get used to. KOF XIII felt slower when I first played it too and I think it's more getting used to a new system.

My only complaint is that throwing feels a bit inconsistent as of now. I saw maybe one tech throw the whole weekend.

TreIII

A friend of mine who was at CB last weekend (and even got in Top 16 of 02UM) reiterated the notion of how the game looks great in person.

Why SNK can't just give us Direct Feed footage so that more can see for themselves is still something that eludes me.

qcf x2

Differing Opinions, I guess. The Waterfall stage is looking like the best stage, IMO.

Game's still gonna be great though, and it still looks decent overall.

I think waterfall looks solid in screens but disappointing in direct feed video. Best looking stage is battleship, followed by that crazy carnival scene and then day of the dead/mexico stage (imo). I do agree that the Shinra looking stage looks off... something about the outlining of the assets makes it look pseudo-FMV.

I sort of hate how clean it looks as it makes it look so sterile and lifeless.

I think pretty much everybody is in the same boat regarding this. I'm holding out hope that they have plans to slap on a filter at the end, but it's the gameplay (including netcode) that counts at the end of the day, and there is much hype to be had, so even if it ends up looking exactly as it does now, it's good enough that it won't distract me while fighting.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Robert's high kick looks very very strange
robert-2k3-spinback.gif
rob-spinback.gif

I've always liked Robert's extra bits of flair and style. It's like he has a subtle bit of showing off in everything he does, without it needing to be FORCED DOWN YOUR THROAT. He's got Yuri around him, to show us the blunt-force-trauma method of getting attention.

A friend of mine who was at CB last weekend (and even got in Top 16 of 02UM) reiterated the notion of how the game looks great in person.

Why SNK can't just give us Direct Feed footage so that more can see for themselves is still something that eludes me.

Had some hands on time with it at PAX East, and yes, it looks freaking amazing in person. I agree, the lack of direct feed is puzzling.

BadWolf

I liked my time with it. It did 'feel slow' for the first several matches but was easier to get used to. KOF XIII felt slower when I first played it too and I think it's more getting used to a new system.

My only complaint is that throwing feels a bit inconsistent as of now. I saw maybe one tech throw the whole weekend.

First I've heard of throw complaints but there were reports from Stunfest that throw invincibility windows on hit and block have been increased.

I've always liked Robert's extra bits of flair and style. It's like he has a subtle bit of showing off in everything he does, without it needing to be FORCED DOWN YOUR THROAT. He's got Yuri around him, to show us the blunt-force-trauma method of getting attention.

Looking at the old sprites hits home how much the new goatie+hairstyle have grown on me, really glad they ditched the Seagal look for him.

Still hoping we get to see his Ferrari on the AOF team's stage.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Part 2 of OrochiNagi's articles: What NEEDS to change in KoF XIV - Global Feedback
Agree or Disagree at your digression, hah.

Looking at the old sprites hits home how much the new goatie+hairstyle have grown on me, really glad they ditched the Seagal look for him.

Still hoping we get to see his Ferrari on the AOF team's stage.

The Goatee just looks Suave, so I really think it fits him. Facial hair is a mark of a manly man, after all.

Lets just go all out, and make the AOF stage Roberts "I've got too much money!" Exotic showroom! A different car on display every round! If not a Dojo, it'd be nice to see some other place that holds meaning to their team.

BadWolf

Part 2 of OrochiNagi's articles: What NEEDS to change in KoF XIV - Global Feedback
Agree or Disagree at your digression, hah.

Thanks for this, the impressions in general from players seem very positive. Xian kept stressing that it will be easier for new players to get into which is always nice. Too bad they weren't able to get some impressions from Xiao Hai as well.

It's also great to hear that the ladies seem to be interested in it, SNK knew what it was doing with Hein hehe. The 19 new characters in general seem to be aimed at appealing to newer audiences.

Nice to see Haregoro (Joe expert, originator of the stun combo in XIII) and Myu (best Ralf) attend the test.

Lets just go all out, and make the AOF stage Roberts "I've got too much money!" Exotic showroom! A different car on display every round! If not a Dojo, it'd be nice to see some other place that holds meaning to their team.

Want :eek:

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Beautiful stage here.
Agreed, it really brings to mind Tung's FF2 stage, as well.
ff2s_tung1bg.gif

Not the same thing at all, but it has this nice "ancient location with a lot of history" feel to it, along with a sweeping view that feels like it could go on forever.

East Town! :D

Is that the stage with the Metal Slug Martian in the background?

Since America got "South Town", you'd really think "East Town" would have officially happened, lol. And yup, the art shows the Mars people existence better, but it's shuffled off to a place you'll mostly see in cinematic supers for the actual in-game stage...

I'm surprised at the lack of other SNK cameos

when you predict a bo
iori_laughs_by_gou_chan-d4laxmi.gif

Ya reckon there's a secret Nightmare Geese?
I doubt it, so far. Really, this is Geese first time with EX moves, maybe they'll just turn him into the Nightmare he deserves to be all along? *TehTaRAAH Reppu-JAM!*

Why is he targeting his penis?
I'm surprised others didn't think this, ha. Or maybe I'm more surprised that it's clearly not his arm that's countering the attack... Geese is a very cocky guy.

qcf x2

I'm surprised at the lack of other SNK cameos

On the roster or in the background? I definitely agree about the background, but if anything is being saved for last that would be it. I long for the day we can see our other teammates in the background like in the glory days.

If you meant on the roster, I think starting with a couple is good and see how the audience takes to them (if everybody picks K/Kyo/Athena and ignores the AW characters, no real point in spamming more of them). This game screams DLC material, but I do wonder just how high the roster might go, lol. SNK has a treasure trove of characters to pick from.

BadWolf

On the roster or in the background? I definitely agree about the background, but if anything is being saved for last that would be it. I long for the day we can see our other teammates in the background like in the glory days.

If you meant on the roster, I think starting with a couple is good and see how the audience takes to them (if everybody picks K/Kyo/Athena and ignores the AW characters, no real point in spamming more of them). This game screams DLC material, but I do wonder just how high the roster might go, lol. SNK has a treasure trove of characters to pick from.

Forget DLC, they should start working on another series (SamSho, FF, LB etc.) after XIV releases.

XIV has 50 characters, that is more than enough. The game will last a good while.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If we don't get OBVIOUS Cameos in the end, like KoF XIII and 2K2UM were full of, I hope we get Easter Egg Cameos like Fatal Fury Special.

I also wish we'd see a lot more special KO animations. Examples:
  • Kula's hair losing the icy color upon KO.
  • Terry's hat flying off, Mai's Fan dropping, and Billy's cane leaving his hands, all back from FF.
  • Comparable stuff for new characters, like Nelson's arm shorting, Mian's Mask breaking, Luong overselling her KO to be as playfully sexy as possible, etc.

There could even be special "Revenge" animations, if you knock out a person's friend:
  • Kensou swears to avenge Athena if she was KO'd before him.
  • Athena dedicated her victory to Chin if Kensou was knocked out before her ;)
  • Leona swears to avenge a certain big circular guy for some reason...
  • Iori gets pissed if you defeat Kyo before him.
So many other fighters pay NO attention to this stuff. But I swear it wasn't just the endings and text blurbs that made me aware of SNK character's relationships; it was actually the mid-match actions, intros, and mannerisms shown between characters.

While I enjoy the idea of story modes in fighters, I'd personally get much more of a kick out of watching all that voice acting and animation be primarily created for something that matters during gameplay, rather than a mode I'll play through once and then probably never again. I'll play thousands of VS matches... I'll play tens of VS CPU matches, y'know?

TreIII

Yeah, I'd agree with DLC. If XIV is going to be SNK's main flagship as far as fighting games go, then it would pay to make sure it's supported for the long haul to keep interest in it strong.

And as I and others have said before, I still think it would be in SNK's best interest to chill a bit with fighting game series. After SS or LB (whatever is next in the pipeline) and another Metal Slug, it probably would be best for them to develop other (non-fighting game) IPs, or maybe even bring back some other classics like Athena or Crystalis. It'll only help develop SNK's portfolio and increase their appeal beyond those of us who already love them (and help shake the reputation that they're just the "KOF and Metal Slug company" that they attained during the SNKP years).

The beauty about KOF is that since it's as much a celebration of SNK's history as much as it will be promoting their brands going forward, KOF DLC could have a nice "Marth debuted in Smash Bros." trope in effect for those new and classic non-fighting IPs that SNK may want to advertise.

This may be especially helpful if say, Neo_G was going to be the director of some new action series, and said character(s) from that game made an early bird cameo in a KOFXIV DLC to help get the word out...

SAB CA said:
While I enjoy the idea of story modes in fighters, I'd personally get much more of a kick out of watching all that voice acting and animation be primarily created for something that matters during gameplay, rather than a mode I'll play through once and then probably never again. I'll play thousands of VS matches... I'll play tens of VS CPU matches, y'know?

And we already know this, but yeah...I couldn't get behind this type of idea more, if I tried.

I suppose the only thing is that, especially now-a-days, you want to make sure that this content is put in such places where a larger crowd will be sure to see them. There's a reason why "Easter Eggs" in themselves are becoming an increasing rarity in games, because it's harder to warrant the development time that a larger portion of gamers may never see.

Hell, even special intros/victory poses, as much as I love them, are going to be things that competitive players will just speed right through them after seeing them a couple of times (and that's if they bother to see them at all).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Top Bottom