• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |Mafia OT| The Night Brims With Defiled Scum

Palmer_v1

Incoming obligatory 5 pages on whether or not to day one lynch.

For the record I'm pro lynch.

GAF is fairly bloody-minded now, so no-lynch is rarely even brought up.

Also welcome back!

Also WTF at RNG bullshit, Camjo? It's such a cop-out.

Camjo-Z

Incoming obligatory 5 pages on whether or not to day one lynch.

For the record I'm pro lynch.

Yes, I always feel that lynching day 1 is the correct answer. If we get to the very end of the day and there is absolutely 0 leads then maybe I'd consider a no lynch but agreeing on that at the beginning just lets scum coast through day 1.

Vote: Camjo-Z

I don't like your pretyped post. I don't like your RNG voting, I don't like your helpful advice. None of it is bad per se but it all stinks to me.

This is extremely well reasoned and I don't really have much to say to it other than that. As our one full on newbie, I'm glad you've done your homework and you can feel free to suspect me or not as you will. I don't try to lead discussion but I am well aware that my high post count does tend to steer conversation so take that how you will and the best policy is always to fight me at every turn when you think something is wrong. I don't want sheep following me since I am wrong just as much as anyone else.

Kalor

The RNG vote is easy to hide behind but it isn't particularly scummy to me.

I wonder if we'll make it through today without a role claim.

Hobohodo

This is extremely well reasoned and I don't really have much to say to it other than that. As our one full on newbie, I'm glad you've done your homework and you can feel free to suspect me or not as you will..

Huh? Squidy ain't a newbie?

Palmer_v1

I thought people had talked about expedited Day 1's. No chance of that here, is there?

red_1465765200.png

Roy is clearly scum, let's just turbo and move on already.

roytheone

I thought people had talked about expedited Day 1's. No chance of that here, is there?

red_1465765200.png

Roy is clearly scum, let's just turbo and move on already.

Nope, we need that full 4 days for us to talk about basically nothing and then move votes to what is basically a random lynch in the last half hour!

Palmer_v1

Nope, we need that full 4 days for us to talk about basically nothing and then move votes to what is basically a random lynch in the last half hour!

Well, just in case Scraftydevil didn't realize it was an option, this is me begging you to reconsider.

48 hour Day 1 is plenty of time.

roytheone

The RNG vote is easy to hide behind but it isn't particularly scummy to me.

I wonder if we'll make it through today without a role claim.

Well, if it is still there near the end of the day, the opposite will be true and it will be very hard to hide behind. Scum can't hide behind an rng vote since those need to be replaced with a real vote at some point.

squidyj

Yes, I always feel that lynching day 1 is the correct answer. If we get to the very end of the day and there is absolutely 0 leads then maybe I'd consider a no lynch but agreeing on that at the beginning just lets scum coast through day 1.

This is extremely well reasoned and I don't really have much to say to it other than that. As our one full on newbie, I'm glad you've done your homework and you can feel free to suspect me or not as you will. I don't try to lead discussion but I am well aware that my high post count does tend to steer conversation so take that how you will and the best policy is always to fight me at every turn when you think something is wrong. I don't want sheep following me since I am wrong just as much as anyone else.

Would you really react this way if you were town though?
I don't believe any of this. I disliked your pretyped post because it was trying to project an image of a helpful town from a position of no information "check me out guys, i'm so townie" and now you're trying to remain above it all. Now maybe you're just applying a thick layer of sarcasm to this response but it could be read as sincere as well.

If I was town my initial reaction would be more like "I make one pretyped post and you're calling me scum, lol get fucking lost dude"

Camjo-Z

I don't believe any of this. I disliked your pretyped post because it was trying to project an image of a helpful town from a position of no information "check me out guys, i'm so townie" and now you're trying to remain above it all. Now maybe you're just applying a thick layer of sarcasm to this response but it could be read as sincere as well.

If I was town my initial reaction would be more like "I make one pretyped post and you're calling me scum, lol get fucking lost dude"

I feel like your scum hunting technique is just to keep asking and hope someone finally says yes. If I told you I was mafia, would that make it easier on you?

I feel like your scum hunting technique is just to keep asking and hope someone finally says yes. If I told you I was mafia, would that make it easier on you?

Am i in batman mark ii? I had this exact conversation with Sorian, who...said yes, and wasn't lying. I swear you copy pasted his post.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Camjo-Z is right though. Squidy just drives the nails until his target breaks and then moves onto to the next guy.

I'm leaning towards squidy's argument right now. I also didn't like the overly enthusiastic pretyped post but on the other hand Camjo-Z is a prime target for a quick mislynch because he basically dug his own grave.

So it's either Camjo-Z or Squidy right now.

Momentum.

Vote: Freakinchair

I will remove this vote if necessary. I agree with Palmer that there's no reason to unnecessarily speed up the day phase but we can all agree we definitely need to lynch Day 1.

Ri'Orius

Being verbose isn't a scumtell. He's not being defensive, he's calmly acknowledging and accepting your suspicion.

On that note, Seath, I calmly acknowledge and accept your suspicion. I'm kinda with you on this: without any real information to go on, just throwing out a vote and seeing what sticks makes sense. So in that spirit:

VOTE: II-Vanguard-II

Welcome, new blood! How's the Hunt going for you?

Camjo-Z

Am i in batman mark ii? I had this exact conversation with Sorian, who...said yes, and wasn't lying. I swear you copy pasted his post.

15375532.gif

well it was a good run. i was hoping to get through the whole day coasting on recycled sorian posts from batman but it seems i've been DISCOVERED

Now to be serious: all three games I've played so far have gotten a townie lynched on D1, and usually mafia are pushing it the hardest, so you know what? I say no lynch. We never get it right, it's inherently dumb due to complete randomness, and removing one possible candidate from the suspect pool isn't worth the rest of the negatives it brings.

VOTE: No Lynch

roytheone

15375532.gif

well it was a good run. i was hoping to get through the whole day coasting on recycled sorian posts from batman but it seems i've been DISCOVERED

Now to be serious: all three games I've played so far have gotten a townie lynched on D1, and usually mafia are pushing it the hardest, so you know what? I say no lynch. We never get it right, it's inherently dumb due to complete randomness, and removing one possible candidate from the suspect pool isn't worth the rest of the negatives it brings.

I disagree. Yeah, we mostly end up lynching a townie. And votes tend to be very unpredictable and switching around a lot. It is often unclear who gets lynched until the very last moment. And guess what? That's a good thing. It means scum needs to be active and try and steer the votes away from them. That gives us useful data for later when scum flips. Just going : eh, let's no lynch lets scum sit back and do nothing.

From my role PM:

You win when you have eliminated all threats to the Town of Yharnam.

Heed this ambiguous language, friends. We're assuming these are beasts. But it would be obvious by now if someone was a beast. In fact, in Bloodborne, people turn into beasts, and don't turn back, so I think we should expect that. Further, who are the real threats? I think the enemy does not consist of beasts at all.

I need more eyes for this.

Kalor

My main issue with a no lynch on the first day is that it means we will have less information tomorrow. We'll get no flip or voting habits. We would know who is opposed to a no lynch but that would be it. The mafia will likely kill someone who is middle of the road tonight so we'll learn nothing from that death. Sure it might harm town in the short term but it's better to take that risk than lack information.

squidyj

15375532.gif

so what do we do on day 2 when we no lynch day 1?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's just standard neutral language to hide the number of scum/killing teams.

roytheone

From my role PM:

Heed this ambiguous language, friends. We're assuming these are beasts. But it would be obvious by now if someone was a beast. In fact, in Bloodborne, people turn into beasts, and don't turn back, so I think we should expect that. Further, who are the real threats? I think the enemy does not consist of beasts at all.

That's the new, standard way of formulating win conditions to prevent people reading to much into it.

Oh. Well. Someone has more eyes than I do, it seems.

Camjo is straight pissin me off with this no lynch shit. About ready to switch my vote.

Palmer_v1

Hey, I'm new to Mafia and wanted to drop in and say hi.

Hi!

Are you entirely new to this type of game, or just to the forum-based version of it?

Don't be afraid to ask questions if we talk about concepts you're not familiar with. If you have questions about your own role, be sure to PM scrafty and/or retro for clarifications.

My best advice for a newbie:

Don't take anything personally. Most of us try not to be assholes, but occasionally it's a necessary evil.

Don't role claim for no reason. A couple votes early in a Day phase is not enough reason to claim. If there is less than 12 hours to go, and you're a prime candidate, that's when you should probably claim, but do not wait until the last 10 minutes either, cause that's sketchy as fuck and tends to harm town more often than not.

If you are a power role of any sort, consider bread crumbing your actions so if you die suddenly, we have something to work with. Also be wary of blowing your load the moment you do have info. Sometimes it's better to bide your time so that more people can get caught in a web of lies.

Always have an active vote. It's suspicious as hell to not have a recorded vote at Day end.

Camjo-Z

Can't be bothered to individually respond to all the quotes so I'll just give a general response: every single time people try to push the "D1 is important!!" meme and every single time it's BS. People act like D1 will be some goldmine of info and then D2 rolls around and somebody outs something new and everyone forgets the previous day anyway.

Palmer_v1

From my role PM:

Others covered this, but yes, it's just a better way to format town's win condition without being overly revealing about the game state. It allows us to win with some neutrals, but not others.

vote: kristoffer

Honestly it's half random, but you also make it a point to say "my role PM" when everyone knows it's in the OP.

I'll probably drop it but its super sketchy.

I almost voted camjo-Z but that would have been mostly because he did the first obligatory pre typed post.

poor Camjo, getting some flack for daring to be new and different. You do you, girl, fulfil your artistic aspirations, ignore the #haterz and the received 'wisdom' (snrk) of G.A.F.I.A.

anyway, if anyone's reading along with the thread and feeling a bit intimidated, not sure where to start, start here, with these questions I may or may not have shamelessly plagiarised from elsewhere!

V
V
V

(here)

1. What do you want out of Day 1?
Well, it would be nice to lynch scum, but I'm not banking on it. We're more likely to attack someone who sticks their head above the parapet, or else whoever is 'coasting by' utilising the FluxWaveZ dictionary definition of the term, in some final hour bandwagon scramble #notbitter. However, the unpredictability of the final scramble can sometimes prove enlightening later on when we see how people react when we're down to the wire. I think that we should primarily #focus on getting an impression of everyone else and making sure that everyone gets to chip in, by promoting #discussionpoints and engaging in conversation.

Town's strengths lie in communication. We should all be chatting and asking lots of questions of one another.

2. How would you describe your playstyle? (if you're new here, have you played mafia anywhere else before? How would you like to approach this game?)
Normally I'm quite quiet, but for this game I think I'm going to speak up more. I don't like to speak unless I have something to say, but I think that in the past that's made me more of a passenger and I think that it's possible to find a balance. Getting lynched D1 has made me realise that I really need to start involving myself from the jump rather than waiting on the fringes and then getting dragged in when it's too late to run damage control on my image.

I want to take control of discussion when it veers off too far into the realms of nothingness and wild speculation, and always keep the focus on keeping things interpersonal and bringing in as many people to talk as possible to ensure that scum have as few hiding places as possible.

I've been described as playing like 'bratty scum' (Cabot 2016), so I think maybe my personality is difficult or abrasive or something. Whatever. *pouts*

3. What is the best album of 2016 so far?
Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman

4. What is the best song of 2016 so far?
Ariana Grande - Into You

okay bored now

let me pre-empt your inevitable wrong responses:
'omg stop fake contributing NF'
'#scumtell'
'Blarg is stoopid'
'Katy Perry is actually really talented and the voice of our generation'
'VOTE: Never Forever'

tumblr_nx1okiMQDv1tg72yro3_250.gif

lol bye

#dangerouswoman

roytheone

Hi!

Are you entirely new to this type of game, or just to the forum-based version of it?

Don't be afraid to ask questions if we talk about concepts you're not familiar with. If you have questions about your own role, be sure to PM scrafty and/or retro for clarifications.

Don't take anything personally. Most of us try not to be assholes, but occasionally it's a necessary evil.

Don't role claim for no reason. A couple votes early in a Day phase is not enough reason to claim. If there is less than 12 hours to go, and you're a prime candidate, that's when you should probably claim, but do not wait until the last 10 minutes either, cause that's sketchy as fuck and tends to harm town more often than not.

If you are a power role of any sort, consider bread crumbing your actions so if you die suddenly, we have something to work with. Also be wary of blowing your load the moment you do have info. Sometimes it's better to bide your time so that more people can get caught in a web of lies.

Always have an active vote. It's suspicious as hell to not have a recorded vote at Day end.

Just be very careful when doing this. Remember that if we can pick up on it, so can scum. Scum is even more likely to pick up on it since they (probably) have a group chat.

squidyj

Hi!

you trying to out power roles while noone's looking palmer? That'd be very naughty.

Palmer_v1

Just be very careful when doing this. Remember that if we can pick up on it, so can scum. Scum is even more likely to pick up on it since they (probably) have a group chat.

Right. It's something that ideally will not be noticed until after you've flipped.

Palmer_v1

you trying to out power roles while noone's looking palmer? That'd be very naughty.

Trying to prevent power roles from getting outed, and also trying to prevent a situation like the Hider dying N1 in a mysterious fisting accident without anyone having any idea how or why.

Top Bottom