• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: 98% of PC Copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider Were Bought on Steam

Dinjoralo

We probably are going to have to wait a couple of years until Microsoft gives up pushing the W10 store like they did with GfWL until we see Quantum Break on Steam.
That's not going to happen. Microsoft is never going to put out one of their high-profile games on a platform they don't have control over.

I'm legit curious why anyone would buy a PC game on anything other than Steam unless it were exclusive to that store. Hell I'll go the extra mile and avoid the game even if it were exclusive to Windows Store, Origin, etc

I started buying from GOG.

Just gonna buy where the games are cheapest.

Woo-Fu

Banned
What the store is now does not mean it will remain as is. Software can change. So go ahead keep "shitting" on me, I'm not affended I don't usually align with the negatvity of the internet so I'm used to it.

You act like people are being unfairly negative. You act like there isn't a history here.

The other problem with your stance is that you seem to think that the main problems with the store in particular and Microsoft's support of gaming on PC are merely technical.

They're not. The technical problems stem directly from Microsoft's approach, their decisions, how they feel the microsoft vs. customer scales should invariably be balanced in Microsoft's favor. They're trying to raise the walls of the garden higher all the time. Don't expect anybody paying attention to be happy with that.

The only people who like the taste of that kool-aid are those who haven't been forced to drink it for the past 20+ years.

Its strange how I am not willing to go all digital with PS4...yet the idea of owning a game disc for PC seems archaic to me.
Its because PC is a more permanent hardware.

We're still too early to see the remains of the PS3 & PS4 network infastructure.

One day , they will cut the network and the PS3 will be a brick, unless you already downloaded all your games or you went physical.

Going physical on consoles is better for preservation.

wazoo

genuinely interested in what makes you think this

Sorry, my post was cut by my phone. I am talking about the gog downloader where updates are hard to track and has to be checked manually. You never know if you have the last executable on your HDD.

A full update mod would be a nice tool.

I own more than 500 games on GOG, mainly old games, where updates are quite rare. For new games, I would go with Steam preferably.

theultimo

Not really. Origin refunds are only for EA games, it's decent but obviously doesn't compare to what Steam offers now.
And the main reason why steam does this now is because origin pioneered the refunds of digital purchases. So in essence, competition exists and we don't necessarily need a walled garden approach.

It's just Microsoft has a years long convergence plan to combine their devices. If UWP was the only method of apps on Windows 10, people would riot. They are trying to ease you into UWP apps before depreciating win32, and you can call it like it is right now; a way for Microsoft to wall off the open PC win32 standard into a curated UWP platform. Windows 8 was the skeleton, Windows 10 likely was supposed to be the depreciation stage, but windows 8 adoption fell through the roof and MS scrambled to make changes.

I am glad consumers are rightfully opting out of a future strategy where instead of openly modifying your system, you have to jailbreak it, possibly illegally, for it to function.

Armaros

And the main reason why steam does this now is because origin pioneered the refunds of digital purchases. So in essence, competition exists and we don't necessarily need a walled garden approach.

It's just Microsoft has a years long convergence plan to combine their devices. If UWP was the only method of apps on Windows 10, people would riot. They are trying to ease you into UWP apps before depreciating win32, and you can call it like it is right now; a way for Microsoft to wall off the open PC win32 standard into a curated UWP platform. Windows 8 was the skeleton, Windows 10 likely was supposed to be the depreciation stage, but windows 8 adoption fell through the roof and MS scrambled to make changes.

I am glad consumers are rightfully opting out of a future strategy where instead of openly modifying your system, you have to jailbreak it, possibly illegally, for it to function.

The various lawsuits from various countries probably were more of an impetus for Steam Refunds then Origin.

4Tran

In what way is GOG an open platform?
You can download the executable and install any time you want on any machine you want it on. It doesn't phone home, so you're not beholden to any online service functioning in order to do so.

c0de

I started buying from GOG.

Just gonna buy where the games are cheapest.

The best part of GoG is their effort of preservation of old games. The fact that they do all the work for you to just play an old game is just awesome, in my opinion. And of course drm free games.

BigDug13

Its because PC is a more permanent hardware.

We're still too early to see the remains of the PS3 & PS4 network infastructure.

One day , they will cut the network and the PS3 will be a brick, unless you already downloaded all your games or you went physical.

Going physical on consoles is better for preservation.

PC also downloads games WAY faster than the PS network at least, and usually doesn't come with a 500GB HDD these days. Plus PC games are still generally smaller in size. And PC digital games are always cheaper.

And yeah, Infinite backward compatibility on PC can't be touched on console.

Kotaku next month: 98% of Copies of Fallout 4 bought on Xbox One

If anything, they'll most likely be split between PS4 & PC because of larger userbases alone.

Heck, The Witcher III sold more on PS4 than on Xbox One, despite the Xbox 360 having the Witcher II while PS3 hasn't.

LewieP

I disagree, I don't think Origin was a factor, I think it was a way for Valve to tackle their increasing customer service burden without spending money on hiring staff to handle curation or customer service.

That said I agree that competition across the platform is vital to it's health, I just think crediting EA with having invented the concept of refunds is madness.

RPGam3r

You act like people are being unfairly negative. You act like there isn't a history here.

The other problem with your stance is that you seem to think that the main problems with the store in particular and Microsoft's support of gaming on PC are merely technical.

They're not. The technical problems stem directly from Microsoft's approach, their decisions, how they feel the microsoft vs. customer scales should invariably be balanced in Microsoft's favor. They're trying to raise the walls of the garden higher all the time. Don't expect anybody paying attention to be happy with that.

The only people who like the taste of that kool-aid are those who haven't been forced to drink it for the past 20+ years.

I didn't act like they there's no history, literally called them "blunders".

MS is a company that is very large it is obvious that a software change would require requirement changes as they work on a scale much larger than a startup. They're not always raising the walls is the part I look at for being positive (please note this is them outside of gaming I'm speaking of).

And new people can change things. Prime MS example look at how much of the console gaming side lays into one guy, Don Mattrick, for setting up the Xbox One for failure.

I should also note I haven't purchased anything from the Windows store and my game collection all resides on Steam and a bit from GOG.

I'm legit curious why anyone would buy a PC game on anything other than Steam unless it were exclusive to that store. Hell I'll go the extra mile and avoid the game even if it were exclusive to Windows Store, Origin, etc

Price ?

Some people value having as many things as possible in same client. Others will go where it's cheapest.

Personally I only want to have steam, gog and battlenet installed.

Paz

It's pretty evident that people are talking about DRM aspect rather than the storefront part of the platform.

Not that I mind their storefront curation all that much. Certainly better than trying to browse Steam.

I wasn't completely sure but did suspect they misunderstood open platforms and DRM free games, Steam also doesn't require DRM of any kind (Though many games choose to use it) and I think most games that are or on both Steam and GOG probably don't have DRM on Steam.

You can download the executable and install any time you want on any machine you want it on. It doesn't phone home, so you're not beholden to any online service functioning in order to do so.

I think you're talking about DRM and not the platform itself being open, GOG is still entirely closed off and requires concept approvals etc.

Sorry, my post was cut by my phone. I am talking about the gog downloader where updates are hard to track and has to be checked manually. You never know if you have the last executable on your HDD.

A full update mod would be a nice tool.

I own more than 500 games on GOG, mainly old games, where updates are quite rare. For new games, I would go with Steam preferably.

GOG has something similar to Steam now with GOG Galaxy

patapuf

I disagree, I don't think Origin was a factor, I think it was a way for Valve to tackle their increasing customer service burden without spending money on hiring staff to handle curation or customer service.

That said I agree that competition across the platform is vital to it's health, I just think crediting EA with having invented the concept of refunds is madness.

There was also pressure from various countries, especially in the EU, to implement a refund policy.

nubbe

Not really, Galaxy doesn't restrict you launching game only from it's client. You can install game from client and after that never even open it to play game.

I think he means that Galaxy function like an administrative tool for patches and extra content in the same sense that Steam dose
Since GOG don't have DRM

How will MS convince developers/publishers to release their games as UWP on Windows store instead of Steam?

They really can't.
I don't believe it's so much of an uphill struggle but rather a losing battle, and I wish they acknowledge this already.
Can you imagine the spike in sales for Gears Of War and Quantum break if they were sold on Steam!

They really should just put the Windows 10 store out of it's misery already!
ecFEaui.gif

SPCTRE

That Kotaku UK article from the OP is really fascinating.

Fable Legends was announced at E3 2013, which seemed pretty early to many members of the team. But then, showing your game at E3 can be something of an insurance policy. If your publisher makes a big, public fuss about your game, it’s a show of confidence. Even though the game wasn’t ready.
This is a thing that I hadn't thought about from a dev perspective before.

I'm sorry I didn't join the echo chamber. Nothing more productive in a forum than a bunch of people saying how they all agree about how much something is shit.

What the store is now does not mean it will remain as is. Software can change. So go ahead keep "shitting" on me, I'm not affended I don't usually align with the negatvity of the internet so I'm used to it.

Sorry but this is a bunch of BS. There is no echo chamber with PC gamers, UWP is probably one of the very rare things where most of us agree and for good reason. If you want to check other arguments, check the hardware threads and you will see what negativity really is.

The store and the software are hardly the problem here, the concept of UWP is and that can't change/improve unless they do a full 180. You should get informed better on the matter before you form an opinion on something and I thought that was valid even outside of forum discussions.

LewieP

How will MS convince developers/publishers to release their games as UWP on Windows store instead of Steam?
Money in the form of throwing significant weight behind the marketing for the Xbox One versions of games.

Those marketing partnerships they have for a variety of games on Xbox One? In the future those agreements will likely involve doing a Windows App Store version too, although probably not require devs to abandon steam.

Even if the UWP version makes such little revenue that it's a rounding error on the total, a publisher will net profit if doing this version results in a large increase in sales of all other versions.

This is one of the reasons many publishers used GFWL.

wapplew

Lower the royalties, bigger exposure, cross play/buy, Xbox live integration, publish once reach multiple devices, best MAU and global engagement.

Do you have a link to the last part about Cave shmups being rejected? I'd like to know more.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1143185#p1143185

We've contacted GOG a few times about getting our titles on their platform
Below is an email from GOG from a week or two ago in regards to Mushihimesama. We'll be sending them some info on Monday and hopefully they'll choose to take the title. If they don't, we'll work on releasing a DRM free version via the Humble Store.

"Hi Name,

We’ve discussed Mushihime Sama internally and because we’re so close to launch we’re not sure if we’ll be able to make it for launch, especially because this will be launching around the same time as our Fall promo. We’re also not totally convinced that the game can perform so well for as as it appears to be relatively unknown outside of Japan.

Because of this what we’d like to do is to wait and see how the launch on Steam goes and then see if it makes sense for us to add the game at a later stage.

Best of luck with the Steam launch!

All the best,
Name"

I kinda find that attitude baffling to be honest. Accepting a game only if it did well elsewhere despite being a known name, even by a niche.

Drazgul

Good news. MS should stay away from PC gaming, everything they do is just useless garbage or downright hurtful for PC gamers.

Paz

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1143185#p1143185

I kinda find that attitude baffling to be honest. Accepting a game only if it did well elsewhere despite being a known name, even by a niche.

To add to the list I also submitted my game Assault Android Cactus a few years back (using their old system) and was never even responded to, they are seemingly a lot more closed than new-Steam (Via how easy Greenlight has become) when it comes to what games they choose to carry.

To add to the list I also submitted my game Assault Android Cactus a few years back (using their old system) and was never even responded to, they are seemingly a lot more closed than new-Steam (Via how easy Greenlight has become) when it comes to what games they choose to carry.

I find that outrageous tbh. A lot of indie success relies on word of mouth and if major platforms adopt this mindset, a lot wouldn't exist.

This is even more baffling that Assault Android Cactus doesn't even look like shovelware and has some nice production values. It is beyond my understanding about how GoG can afford to refuse such games.

This is why I vastly prefer Humble Store. Giving both DRM Free and Steam key options. The best thing would be if more publishers and indies make their Steam game DRM Free, which is possible IIRC.

Paz

I find that outrageous tbh. A lot of indie success relies on word of mouth and if major platforms adopt this mindset, a lot wouldn't exist.

This is even more baffling that Assault Android Cactus doesn't even look like shovelware and has some nice production values. It is beyond my understanding about how GoG can afford to refuse such games.

This is why I vastly prefer Humble Store. Giving both DRM Free and Steam key options. The best thing would be if more publishers and indies make their Steam game DRM Free, which is possible IIRC.

Yah our Steam version is DRM free, though we also sell on Humble with a steam key included.

Technically our Steam version checks to see if Steam is running when you launch it, but if it doesn't find Steam then it just soft fails all online content that requires an account (leaderboards etc) and behaves like the Humble version. I also hope more developers in general abandon DRM, especially indies.

Edit - It might be nice if you could plaster DRM FREE as a feature too right along stuff like the Steam Leaderboard support and Controller support etc.

Yah our Steam version is DRM free, though we also sell on Humble with a steam key included.

Technically our Steam version checks to see if Steam is running when you launch it, but if it doesn't find Steam then it just soft fails all online content that requires an account (leaderboards etc) and behaves like the Humble version. I also hope more developers in general abandon DRM, especially indies.

Edit - It might be nice if you could plaster DRM FREE as a feature too right along stuff like the Steam Leaderboard support and Controller support etc.

Would be great indeed because as opposed to the popular belief, Steam and DRM Free aren't incompatible. And it's kinda weird to see some indies offering DRM Free versions and have their Steam version with DRM.

In any case, back on topic, I can see why some people aren't too hot with gog and I share this sentiment. As for Windows 10 Store, Microsoft is basically fighting wind mills and will fail.

KonradLaw

One has to wonder just how terrible Quantum Break sales are and poor Remedy has no Steam escape option like SquareEnix had.

Well..I prefer GOG as there's more of an ownership there for game I bought. But honestly, I just buy wherever is cheapest and I don't mind using multiple stores, like Origin or uPlay. Especially since Steam prices are insanely high, so I mostly buy retail for non-indie games and just get key for the service the publisher provided, so for Ubi it's uPlay for example.

Whenever possible I also try to buy directly from developers. If they provide it DRM free instead of key for Steam I'm forced to backup it on HD, but that' a good precaution to have.

Honestly, the only digital platform I avoid is Windows Store. Shame I can't get Quantum Break any other way.

Top Bottom