• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bar MAFIA |OT| There's Gonna Be Shots

Just my 2 cents but Retroid plays like this every game he even said he is aware that doing this makes people like lynching him on day 1. I don't endorse what he's doing, and there are obviously legitimate reasons it doesn't help town, but why is mafia Retroid playing in a way that he knows from experience will make him easy to lynch.

Also the no lynchers have been around since the beginning it seems weird to see steam gathering to lynch one of them when we were just starting to make progress on a semi-consensus.

This seems like such a scummy team post.

If Retroid ends up flipping scum, this post would be a huge warning flag. First you're trying to excuse his behavior, then you're "kinda" distancing yourself, then throwing out a reason why he wouldn't be scum and to ignore him.

Meanwhile I feel like there has to be at least one scum behind the no lynch crew and you're also making excuses for them.

Right now I actually don't think Retroid is scum, and this all hinges on him flipping that way I guess, but if he does flip scum I'm gonna be really suspicious. Anyway now I have to rethink some things and reread some shit.

batsnacks

This seems like such a scummy team post.

If Retroid ends up flipping scum, this post would be a huge warning flag. First you're trying to excuse his behavior, then you're "kinda" distancing yourself, then throwing out a reason why he wouldn't be scum and to ignore him.

Meanwhile I feel like there has to be at least one scum behind the no lynch crew and you're also making excuses for them.

Right now I actually don't think Retroid is scum, and this all hinges on him flipping that way I guess, but if he does flip scum I'm gonna be really suspicious. Anyway now I have to rethink some things and reread some shit.
So... you don't disagree with anything I said?

Catvoca

Banned
Yeah, I don't understand you at all Salva. You posted a bunch of fluff
like fluffy bunnies
, then you called yourself out on posting fluff, and since then you have continued to post weird stuff. I really don't know what you're doing. It's entertaining at least.

he has a kanye avatar

485.gif

SalvaPot

Yeah, I don't understand you at all Salva. You posted a bunch of fluff
like fluffy bunnies
, then you called yourself out on posting fluff, and since then you have continued to post weird stuff. I really don't know what you're doing. It's entertaining at least.

I really appreciate your post. Specially the part that I am entertaining, I was hoping I was not bothering people with my posts.

This is way I am going to go back to read all your posts and analyze the shit out of them <3.

I really appreciate your post. Specially the part that I am entertaining, I was hoping I was not bothering people with my posts.

This is way I am going to go back to read all your posts and analyze the shit out of them <3.
Your're unobtrusively entertaining, which is the best kind. It doesn't dominate the discussion, so I can still take a break and look at one of your posts and chuckle instead of hold my head in my hands because its time to deal with "this shit" again.

cabot

Hey guys How's it going. Lost my 350 pound earphones. Let's celebrate by killing ourselves

Never mind, got em back. Yass

So, if I follow my 'theory' (that sounds too advanced for what it is, but whatever) that hyperactivity may have got lucky when (randomly?) picking dragonz for questioning, and a fellow scum responded to the questions to dillute the attention..

The people who answered those questions (I scanned through the thread just now, rather than keeping a list as it went, so hopefully I didn't miss anyone and this is the right order)

Barrylocke
Ourobolus
Catvoca
WhereAreMahDragonz
A Human Becoming
StackpoleH
Hyperactivity
*Splinter
tomakasatnav
Kyanrute

Which gives us 10. Out of 23. So, likely there's a scum in just due to numbers, but by itself not something I can use to pin on someone.

So, my thoughts on those players at least, as a way to break it down somehow..

Barrylocke: Can't get a read on. Hasn't played much GAF mafia by answer to hyper's question, but feels from the posts like he has played a lot?
Ourobolus: A lot of noise. Kinda person I'd vote for just to remove the crazy to make life easier :p
Catvoca: Town, liked the post about WhereAreMahDragonz, even though he has taken that vote back...
WhereAreMahDragonz: Possible Scum, see above
A Human Becoming (out)
StackpoleH: MIA like me
Hyperactivity: Still not sure what to think of the initial prepared posting.. Town trying to be genuinely helpful, or Scum trying to appear helpful? Going to go with Town at the moment, because it'd be too obvious an attempt if it was Scum.. right?
*Splinter: Siding on Town at the moment. Normally Scum would want to get rid of the more active/loud Town players as they are a threat. No reason for them to get rid of the quiet players. *ahem* I mean, he's voting for me, totally scum!
tomakasatnav: Cool guy, totally innocent. Town.
Kyanrute: Always suspicious when someone sums up everyone and mistakes something which obviously can easily be just that, but it always rings bells in my head as trying to influence the story being told as it's easily missed. Not saying scum but I'll be watching!

RE: tomakasatnav (or however he spells that)

You got it!

For the moment, vote: wherearemahdragonz

Some of those around for the early mafia games may remember (and there has been a few mentions..) trains!

FGW-Train_blog.jpg

Train schedule...

Tomorrow
2-5 PM BST, on a train!

Sunday
5-8 PM BST, on a train!

I take a train through the wonders of the English countryside where phone signal is few and far between

Sorian

Banned
Your vote has to be on its own line, Tom

Unless you're trying to do a fake vote I guess ;)

I appreciate your reading of the rules and you are 100% right but just for future reference, since this thread is using the automated vote tracker, it actually picks it up regardless of being on it's own line.

Edit: So not a huge deal to correct it.

I appreciate your reading of the rules and you are 100% right but just for future reference, since this thread is using the automated vote tracker, it actually picks it up regardless of being on it's own line.

Edit: So not a huge deal to correct it.

Well, okay. As long as dragons gets what's coming to her.

Thanks for the clarification :)

kingkitty

I saw Kitty asked me some questions. I don't want to talk about Dragonz just yet.

Re: WhereAreMahDragonz

I was suspicious of Dragonz very early on and never explained why. Basically I thought she was padding her post count pre- game. She was mostly accused for her low activity last game, and having an extra 25 posts can really help a low activity player, especially in day 1, if people start looking at the post count.

However

She continued to be high activity after the game started. If you take off those 25 she's still among the top post counts, so I can rule out the possibility that this was a cunning ruse.

Without that, I don't have a strong read on her either way. I know she's had a couple of fishy posts, the main thing I remember is her weird focus on Hyper's early vote and trying to build a narrative around that. I'd say I lean very slightly scum on her now, but theres not much in it.

thx for answering splinter

i wish your reasoning had more hype, like maybe a few phoenix wright gifs, but it is what it is

kingkitty

^
I should add the one thing I was looking for was if you'd completely ignore my question/procrastinate until the day ended, which in my book would be scumtell as fuk.

I was also wondering if you (if scum) didn't actually have a good reason to find dragonz scummy, and was waiting for someone else to post a persuasive argument for her death. For which you can then later parrot for yourself.

Or that potentially dragonz was scum, and you, scumsplinter was simply doing pokes in public in order to hide any collusion between you two. And then once there's a followup with your thoughts on dragonz, you could later downplay how scummy dragonz was.

Or that you're scum, and you didn't feel like writing up a reasoning until a little later.

Or that you're town.

I'm leaning slight town, for now. My belly tells me you haven't yet played in a way that bothers me, and isn't to the detriment of this bar so far.

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. Been following the thread but not much to say. I really don't get why advocating no lynch is seen as a suspicious action. Can definitely see why people disagree with no lynch, but surely mafia would not risk going with such an unpopular opinion?

UNVOTE

Dusk Soldier's more active behavior since my vote has made me think this is just who he is as a player,mafia or town.

Right now I sort of suspect timetokill for his strong focus on the no lynchers, and SalvaPot for his bizarre yet entertaining behavior-- also, was that claim serious?

kingkitty

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. Been following the thread but not much to say. I really don't get why advocating no lynch is seen as a suspicious action. Can definitely see why people disagree with no lynch, but surely mafia would not risk going with such an unpopular opinion?

potentially a no-lynch could be a move by one or two maf to avoid being connected to any mislynches/bandwagons/votes of other scum-members that could be used against them in the next day phases.

Ourobolus

Banned
Sorry I haven't posted for a while. Been following the thread but not much to say. I really don't get why advocating no lynch is seen as a suspicious action.

it's suspicious because information is town's greatest strength
in order to get information that isn't outright stated, voting patterns and arguments need to be correlated against hard information - i.e. lynches and investigative results

*Splinter

Okipoke, thought experiment

Let's say we decide to lynch one of those nasty awful no-lynchers. That's completely justifiable, after all they are both nasty and awful. But which one do we pick?

Well let's assume one of them is Mafia. I think there's 5 or so of them, so at a blind chance one should be Mafia. So Mafia suggest one of the non-scum no lynchers and... that's it. There's no reason to pick one over any other, so we lynch the townie that mafia picked out for us. 100% of the time. And this lynch gets us literally nothing. They have no reads or opinions, they preferred a no lynch and that is the hill they died on. Wasted day. Literally wasted. Some other middle of the road schmuck dies in the night and we're on Day 2 with nothing.

And maybe none of them are even Mafia, in which case Mafia can get by on even less effort.

Either way, it's a losing move.

No-lynchers
There are advantages to not lynching, sure. Maybe it's even the "right" move in certain situations. But when you decided to take that position and check out of the game so early, you fucked our chances to make today productive. With so many of you willing to say "fuck it", you created a safe space for a Mafia or 2 to get a free day 1 pass.

Jump on a bandwagon, any bandwagon, it's very marginally better than the fuck all you're currently doing. It might even get you lynched today, but it'll give you a better chance of being on the winning team when the game ends.

Unless you're scum. Feel free to continue being trash in that case xoxo

*Splinter

Oh, and if you're looking for a bandwagon, toma is right there. That's not even a bandwagon yet! This is a free lunch, no shade will be thrown for jumping on this vote, I promise.

Ignore the slight shade I just threw at dragonz

*Splinter

Note that everything I said about toma could also be said about Stackpole. Now I could say "I'm also ok with a Stackpole vote", but no. Same as my no-lynchers example above, if it's multiple choice with nothing to separate the candidates, scum get an easy win.

Trust me, I know how to scum. I am pro as fuck at scum. I am the first disciple of the MAFIA GOD himself. Multiple choice is a win for scum, so vote toma.

Options:

"Fuck that toma guy, his name is confusing anyway" - vote toma

"I am indifferent. Toma is fine and so are others. Burble burble fart" - vote toma

"Fuck no, toma is town and this is a horrible mistake" - tell me why

Be the pressure

*Splinter

how is that any different for any subset of 5 players on D1
I feel like you missed my point. People are suggesting we vote a no-lynchers, I'm saying that's a bad idea. I only mentioned 5 players to assume (optimistically) that one of the no lynchers is indeed scum.

Catvoca

Banned
So let me get this straight - You've singled out Toma because if it's left up to multiple choice as it is now, it's too easy for Mafia to come and dominate the conversation. So, in your eyes we should just pick one person (the person you've picked) and all vote for them so there's no chance of Mafia interference. So really (and correct me if I'm wrong), while you've made a decent argument, a lot of it comes down to is saying "trust me on voting for this person". The entire plan relies on us trusting that you're not mafia trying to get someone killed, and that you're just a well meaning townie. While I think you are probably town, that's a lot to ask isn't it?

Catvoca

Banned
Gotta say, it's a ballsy move. I kind of admire it. My problem is that if Toma flips town (and lets face it, chances are he will) it's very easy for you to disown this later on as you're not actually claiming that we'll find scum with this plan. It becomes very difficult to suss out if you are Mafia in D2 after that outcome I think. It leads to you most likely surviving until at least day 3 and maybe longer unless you're town and night killed, although scum probably wouldn't kill someone who's already looked a bit weird and suspicious. And if Toma flips scum then people will see you as town for the rest of the game. idk, the plan is very advantageous to you personally in a way that makes me a little uncomfortable, although I can't deny it's merits. I'm going to mull it over a little bit more before deciding anything, there's still nearly a full day left.

batsnacks

I think I should clarify that I don't think he was trying to bait people into roleclaiming. He specifically cautioned people not to do that in fact.

I think his quiz was designed to make it easy for him to consolidate information on our past/present playing styles, and that he was planning to use that info to figure out our roles in the game.
I don't know if I believe that you believe this as town, it still feels like you could have been looking too hard for a reason to suspect him. I appreciate the serious response though.

Hyperactivity's activity drop off is making me think more about him though so hmm. I don't know off the top of my head who hyper's scum reads are. The hypothetical town-leader-active-contributor hyperactivity should be pushing his scum reads more.

*Splinter

No excuses, I think toma is scum. If he flips town then I was wrong and people will be all up my ass tomorrow. There's no advantage for me here.

I agree with *Splinter in the sense that voting a no-lyncher simply because they are a no-lyncher is a bad idea.

I'm all about getting information so we can be productive. A lack of information simply gives the advantage to scum, and my concern is a no-lynch vote gives us less information that otherwise. Especially the ones who say "no lynch" and then effectively disappear -- that really doesn't help. However, since lynching them purely on that basis also gives us little information if any, it's also not really helpful to go after them. I could foresee a time in the future where a no-lynch actually makes sense because we have a better idea of roles and we have information to verify. But on Day 1? I'm new but that sounds suspect to me.

Similarly, the people who are mostly absent are suspicious because if you're town you should be wanting to get as much info out there as possible for the town's sake. However, lynching them gives us little to no information as well. It all leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It suggests the winning move to get past Day 1 is not to play, but we're not playing Global Thermonuclear War, damn it. Anyway it seems shortsighted for town to try and float by because if scum kill a quiet townie then it's basically a free kill with no info for us to go on.

Gonna think about this some more. In the meantime I'm going to reread the thread to make sure I'm not stuck in tunnel-vision on a couple people.

batsnacks

No excuses, I think toma is scum. If he flips town then I was wrong and people will be all up my ass tomorrow. There's no advantage for me here.
Euphemism's check in was worse imo tom gave some thoughts and a semi-reason for the vote. But yeah maybe he's just scum and feels like his check in needed the fluff.

batsnacks, according to rule 19 don't you need to indicate who you're unvoting? Or is this another thing the parser will pick up automatically?

SalvaPot

Note that everything I said about toma could also be said about Stackpole. Now I could say "I'm also ok with a Stackpole vote", but no. Same as my no-lynchers example above, if it's multiple choice with nothing to separate the candidates, scum get an easy win.

Trust me, I know how to scum. I am pro as fuck at scum. I am the first disciple of the MAFIA GOD himself. Multiple choice is a win for scum, so vote toma.

Options:

"Fuck that toma guy, his name is confusing anyway" - vote toma

"I am indifferent. Toma is fine and so are others. Burble burble fart" - vote toma

"Fuck no, toma is town and this is a horrible mistake" - tell me why

Be the pressure

Vote: Ourobolus

Catvoca

Banned

Well there is the advantage that if he flips scum you'll be safe for like the rest of the game, and it's always possible you're bussing a scum teammate. Unlikely, but possible. I also don't really buy that tomorrow, if Toma is flipped town, that you'll really be under that much pressure. I feel like it will be easy for you to wriggle out of, there's many arguments you could make to not be lynched, and if you were scum you'd surely have people to deflect the heat off you. And tbh, if toma flipped town I'm not even sure I'd want to immediately lynch you and that scares me a little since I think you could fall through the cracks.

Your plan is dangerous but there's multiple outcomes that are very advantageous to you. My feelings on it are pretty conflicted right now.

*Splinter

Well there is the advantage that if he flips scum you'll be safe for like the rest of the game, and it's always possible you're bussing a scum teammate. Unlikely, but possible. I also don't really buy that tomorrow, if Toma is flipped town, that you'll really be under that much pressure. I feel like it will be easy for you to wriggle out of, there's many arguments you could make to not be lynched, and if you were scum you'd surely have people to deflect the heat off you. And tbh, if toma flipped town I'm not even sure I'd want to immediately lynch you and that scares me a little since I think you could fall through the cracks.

Your plan is dangerous but there's multiple outcomes that are very advantageous to you. My feelings on it are pretty conflicted right now.
If he flips scum and I'm still here on Day 3, lynch me.

If he flips town, well sure I'll fight for survival, I don't want 1 mislynch to cause another. But I'd still be under more scrutiny than if I hadn't done this.

Top Bottom