• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bar MAFIA |OT| There's Gonna Be Shots

My observations to the end of page 14; more coming later:

Hyperactivity: I'm not a fan of post #206. It's largely redundant information that I think any reasonable new player can figure out through common sense; there's little point in repeating it and certainly not in so much detail other than to establish town credentials. Real town just post “don't claim D1 plz thx” and leave it at that. Don't really like #332 either; appealing to past games is never an actual defense because people can (and do) play inconsistently between games; nor do I like #333. Town doesn't plan, scum plans. If town start planning, you can't tell the difference between town and scum.

MattyG: I agree with batsnacks in #222 that MattyG's #221 is slightly off.

Batsnacks: Good intuitions in #222

AbsolutBro: Not a fan of #223 for the same reason I wasn't a fan of Hyperactivity's #206. Happens again in #436.

kingkitty: Good intuitions in #224. However, terrible intuitions in #483, so obviously scum.

*Splinter: I don't like #240. Hyperactivity's questions aren't really useful. I mean, 1. is useful insofar as it saves me time having to check your game history, but 2., 3., and 4. aren't; most people can't accurately describe their playstyle as town because you don't really consciously plan as town, you just play; you don't self-scrutinize to the degree you do as scum and so don't really observe how you play as much. Going after people for giving blunt answers to meh questions doesn't help anyone. I do agree with his #622 observation, though, so that gets him some credit back.

DuskSoldier: #253 seems really manufactured. There's not really enough material in this day to get this aggressive. Pointing out scumpairs D1 is obviously a fool's game, but seeing as now Fools are GAFia standard (shame on ye all), I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this was just the early traces of a false argument.

Timeaisis: #459 had all the same reads I did by this point, so he's either coming at this from a town perspective or a really good scum.

At this point, I realized WhereAreMahDragonz had managed to make, like, a tonne of posts without any of them really catching my attention. That's a relatively impressive skill and has reminded me to observe more carefully what WAMD does throughout the rest of the game.

Retroid: Is probably not scum through #515; GAFia is established enough that arguing for D1 NL is Sisyphean tasks that only causes you to lose respect and persuasive capital; scum know that or will get told that by other scum.

Timetokill: is a bit all over the place, but I think in a good way, at least tentatively. I don't think many of his reads are right, necessarily, but I can see where they come from and they come from town places.

Quick thing I'm noticing.

You mention that you're a fan or not a fan of certain posts, but how does this relate to your scum-reads on these people.

Are you basically taking a stance of not really going after contributing players day 1, at least when it comes to lynching them? From what I can tell, you only have say 2 reads up to this point, although up till page 14 does give you a good excuse

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt so long as this is still a WIP, but this comes off as fairly "safe".

Was nice and easy to go through MattyG's posts, YAY!

Only 3 things here:

1) In favor of a day 1 lynch
2) Defends "as bad as it sounds" statement from 1st post
2) OMGUS of Ourobolus

1st 2 posts sorta seem to remind me that he's one of the OG players, I'm not sure what his most recent games.

Next to nothing here, so I'm not sure where his vote both picked up momentum and why it didn't for the others

Null read for now, but in an effort to get him in here

MattyG, what's your opinion on the no lynch crowd?

PSA: This has to do with something I'm seeing. Low activity and drops in activity

The argument for these being scum indicative is typically relating to either

A. Blending in
B. Scared of making posts as scum
C. Letting town do the work, wants conversation to stagnate, scum like things how it is

The arguments against this being scum indicative:

A. Why would scum members do this? Only draws attention to scum.

The argument against it only really works for arguments that the person is doing a controlled absence (which I've seen scum do, sometimes you need to know when to sit back and let things proceed on their own. But this typically happens when the rest of the conversation has hit a lull)

Both basically fail to consider that people will just drop in activity sometimes. A scum member(s) dropping in activity may not be ideal for scum, but scum aren't some god force that precisely knows when to post and when not too, and low and high activity scum posters are oftentimes just examples of the poster in particular and how he plays normally.

So yeah, it's not really scum or town indicative imo

SOOUSyH.jpg

VOTE TALLY

wherearemahdragonz (2)
hyperactivity 205 (335)
catvoca 655 (703)
timetokill 656
tomakasatnav 910 (913)
tomakasatnav 913

mattyg (0)
batsnacks 222 (626)
ourobolus 245 (300)
ourobolus 624 (714)

hyperactivity (2)
kingkitty 224 (474)
dusk soldier 253 (641)
a human becoming 264
timeaisis 459 (678)
wherearemahdragonz 693

batsnacks (0)
ourobolus 300 (417)
ourobolus 433 (490)

ourobolus (2)
salvapot 327 (857)
hyperactivity 335 (360)
mattyg 644
salvapot 948

crab (0)
hyperactivity 360 (614)

theexodu5</b> (0)
barrylocke 377 (383)

wherearemahdragonz </b> (0)
barrylocke 383 (779)

stackpoleh (0)
ourobolus 417 (433)
timetokill 472 (656)

dusk soldier (2)
kingkitty 474
stackpoleh 557 (923)
batsnacks 733 (943)
timeaisis 869

timeaisis (1)
ourobolus 490 (624)
dusk soldier 641

theexodu5 (1)
batsnacks 626 (682)
timeaisis 692 (869)
barrylocke 813 (815)
barrylocke 815

salvapot (1)
*splinter 650 (835)
euphemism 654

kyanrute (1)
nin1000 653

theexodo5 (0)
timeaisis 678 (692)

euphemism (0)
batsnacks 682 (733)

catvoca (0)
ourobolus 714 (716)

timetokill (0)
ourobolus 716 (864)

no lynch (2)
theexodu5 828
salvapot 857 (948)
retroid 858

tomakasatnav (1)
*splinter 835

retroid (2)
ourobolus 864
kyanrute 877

Day 1 Ends in:

gra_1465678800.png

*Splinter

@Crab, re #240

Hmm

I know Barry is capable of grabbing a game by the balls on day 1, and this post is a poor start. Jokes is fine, but he kind of pretends to be answering Hyper's questions while not saying anything.

Ouro's post right after looked similar, but at least there it was obvious he was taking the piss. Barry was a little more ambiguous.

If it was intended as a joke too then fine I guess, I'll wait for more posts. But if it was a "helpful, getting the ball rolling" kind of post then it's absolutely minimal effort.
My complaint isn't that his answers to the questions lacked effort, since the questions themselves are merely a starting point.

My complaint is that he did nothing else. Scum wants to contribute enough to avoid criticism (achieved in the short term by answering the questions), town *should* want to contribute enough to further a conversation or start a new one.

It's hard to create something out of nothing in the first hours of the game. Some people try, Barry didn't.

@Barry: You asked me why I scumread you, and I guess this was the start of it. You've been blendy as hell all day which gives me no reason to change my mind on you. I think I said when I first scumread you that it was mostly gut with nothing specific I can point to, just blendy blendering.

Also bats, thanks for telling me about that script. Dont no why, even though it is functionally similar to "Who posted", it's been much more efficient

before the end of the day, I'm planning to go through the post of:

kyanrute, batsnacks, Timeaisis, Catvoca, *Splinter if I'm ready to read through a bunch of posts

those are probably who I'll focus on, afterwards I'm thinking

Barrylocke, toma, Dusk Soldier, stackpole

others I either have it pre written on my computer, or have sorta decided on.

2nd list might also just be in between, when first list exhausts me

Will be fully unavailable in about 20 minutes until 5 hours from now, just warning you guys now

Will clarify, I'm hoping to vote for a candidate I legitimately suspect of being scum, and am against voting non contributing members just for that aspect alone

Kyanrute

I'd prefer if everyone put their votes down before the last hour chaos so on day two we have a some sort of a base line to look at instead of just a pile of hasty semirandom votes. We are missing 6 I think.

I'd prefer if everyone put their votes down before the last hour chaos so on day two we have a some sort of a base line to look at instead of just a pile of hasty semirandom votes. We are missing 6 I think.

Idk, although I want votes when it comes to who people think is scum midst, last hour shifts are inevitable due to last hour claims, and people being practical in protecting people who they think is town/voting for the scum more of two options

plus, it's typically bad for scum, makes them have to act more on prompt than planned. I argued against them in final fantasy, but I was scum then and had just had 2 games being lynched on the last minute as scum

the people that don't vote practically in the last hour are probably more suspect; at least given a case of people voting for people there is next to no chance for the vote to swing towards

Kyanrute

Yeah I'm not trying to stop the last hour madness, I even prefer it to happen because of the info we get. The idea was that if we get everyone put their votes down before it, the changes are harder to make without good reasoning behind them. This would limit the maneuvering room for scum I feel or make them stand out more.

Kawl_USC

On the note of last hour madness, Cabot is I believe indisposed for the remainder of the day (something about watching American Football or something?) and I'm about to be busy until riiiight up to the end of the day go out in the world and doing good.

So there should be a day end post when the day is over. The flip and flavor and what not might lag behind by a bit.

Sorry, we are important men.

For vote count, in case it gets hectic I don't want people saying they didn't know the current count so here is the link for this game's vote tool.

Vote Count

Have fun kiddos.

Ourobolus

Banned
Anyway, Ourobouloosus

He is acting weird to me, I think he is too selfaware about his previous victory and its trying to seem distant yet committed to the game. But here was my tell.

No.

Ouro, no, you don't play like this.

You are a mole, a tunneler, a fuck you my word is THELAW. You are acting too soft because you are a squishy pumpking of lies.

or i realized my tunneling doesn't get me anywhere (except for Scrafty in GAFia 1, sorry babe)

trying this whole logic thing on for size

kingkitty

can anyone confirm if salvapot's shenanigans is at it's regular level? or is this a higher than average level of shenanigans? i can't recall.

Catvoca

Banned
I realized I haven't got a vote down so I'm going to throw one on AbsolutBro. I posted last page about how under the radar he's been and how little his posts have mattered, and I've made it clear I'm interested in looking at these less active posters. This is more a pressure vote than anything else, to see if he's around and willing to share any off his thoughts.

Vote: AbsolutBro

kingkitty

this convo from last page is interesting
Salva, if you are claiming a PR, can you elaborate? Do you know what it means by "stinking someone up"? Are you saying this is a roleblock move, or just informing that player that they were targeted?

I'm going to be honest, I don't think what you're claiming makes a whole lot of sense, but I'd like to hear more from you, just to clarify.

It just makes people aware that they were visited, they'll have no clue what kind of role just affected them in case it doesn't alert them by itself.

That is only if I am saying the truth tho, but I am not.

Why bother claiming if you're going to admit that it's a lie?

What lie are you referring to?

my gut says if there's on the same scum side, this seems kinda odd and pointless, especially to end it so anticlimactically. of course, maybe that's what they want me to think. but my gut reaction is if they're scumbros, why not at least end this conversation properly? dragonz basically left salvapot hanging (even though we the audience already know the answer to salva's question, or do we)

i have some other thoughts i'll write up soon

nin1000

Banned

my gut says if there's on the same scum side, this seems kinda odd and pointless, especially to end it so anticlimactically. of course, maybe that's what they want me to think. but my gut reaction is if they're scumbros, why not at least end this conversation properly? dragonz basically left salvapot hanging (even though we the audience already know the answer to salva's question, or do we)

i like that kind of thinking

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Quick thing I'm noticing.

You mention that you're a fan or not a fan of certain posts, but how does this relate to your scum-reads on these people.

Are you basically taking a stance of not really going after contributing players day 1, at least when it comes to lynching them? From what I can tell, you only have say 2 reads up to this point, although up till page 14 does give you a good excuse

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt so long as this is still a WIP, but this comes off as fairly "safe".

Not a fan = leaning towards scum. Put it this way: at the moment, town all has the same information, excepting PRs and even then it's not likely they have relevant information to today's posting. So, we all have the same information, and what we post is the result of how our mindset reacts to that information. If someone has the same intuitions as me, they therefore either have the same mindset, which I know to be town, or they are very, very good at faking a town mindset.

As for who I'm going after, I'm unsure as of yet. I'm tempted to clear out some of the quieter players; if there's scum among them they're not leaving a record which I worry about more than busy posters who could be scum. There's obviously a degree of hypocrisy there given I've only just become involved, but now I am there should be rather regular posting, as per my norm.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Everything in mafia is WIFOM. You think mafia will do X, mafia knows you think they will do X so they will do Y, you know mafia knows you think they will do X so they do Y, etc. The trick is finding how many levels of WIFOM there are. In Retroid's case, I think that answer is 0. I mean, not strongly or anything, this is D1, but certainly enough to be focusing on other things.

I fell asleep soon after that exchange, I was planning on following it up momentarily lmao

What lie are you referring to?

The one where you say it's straight up not true in regards to your PR claim? I asked you some questions about it and you responded with "It's not true". So I'm just really confused? This play you're getting at doesn't make sense. Its just a really bad play with no apparent victories for town.

This was the interaction I was talking about.

In my opinion on what posts are throwaway and which ones aren't, this was timetokill's 5th major post (of 10), and probably his 2nd biggest contribution (his 7th with the simpson pic being the biggest one), and WAMD's 18th (of 21).

I would agree with WAMD here, his original post was super bandwagony.
Main thing I had noticed here when going through WAMD's posts was that

A. She didn't vote for him
B. She seemed really defensive over this vote.

When I made the post about the connection of them both possibly being scum, I was thinking timetokill had basically made that his first post, and thought of it as much scummier for some reason, therefore seeing WAMD not voting for him as possibly a case of them bussing one another.

Now, after going trough time's posts, I'm not too sure anymore. The not voting for him thing still sticks out, as I would say that is something worth voting for, but she was also after me at that point.

Main thing that I noticed is she didn't stop at pointing out the vote was bandwagonny, but pointed out his activity level, which seems counter-intuitive, as

A. He had done more than most
B. Idk, it seemed more of an attack on him, that doesn't necessarily help us in determining whether he was scum or town. More of an excuse to dismiss

On to timetokill's response. His "you were on my mind" thing screams bullshit, but the main thing that I noticed there was that he kept to his vote, and called out Catvoca for switching it. That's the only thing that makes me think he might have been serious about his vote.

UNVOTE

Conclusion: I don't really know. I'm going to ask timetokill some question, to get a better idea of my position on him. WAMD, is back to scummy vibes, not much more yet, owing to her mostly safe votes.

So, questions I was going to ask timetokill mainly have to do with him not really bringing up certain topics since he initially was posting about them.

1. How do you feel about me?
2. How do you feel about stackpole?
3. Read on Catvoca?
4. Current read on WAMD?
5. I know you mentioned a null read on Retroid, but as to the other no lynchers, how do you feel? Was your conversation with Batsnacks related to your scum/town reads on them?

The main reason why I did not vote for timetokill was because I wanted to see his response, which I did not feel satisfied with in the least. It is a flimsy response and it doesn't really strike me as town at all. Kill is in my top three scum atm, but I wanted to watch and wait before switching my vote. Which I have done, but I haven't seen anything from him that will change my suspicions. So if nothing changes I will probably switch my vote over. It still doesn't absolve you of being scummy, but if a more concrete scum tell comes along, then I'll change.

Why didn't I do it sooner? I wanted to see how other players would react. I figured he would come back with a defense, but I wanted to know what others would do, like I said in my opening questions. I hoped someone would defend him, so that I could look into them more closely, but no one did that I remember. Unfortunately my gut feeling in regards to results isn't very strong so I'm going to have to go back and reread before the deadline.

kingkitty

toma and dragonz was a topic of discussion so i'll give my thoughts on those two

toma-

Most of his posts didn't catch my eye except for an interesting theory about dragonz. That somehow hyper voted on scumdragonz by chance, and at least one of her scumbros started to answer the same questions thrown by hyper in order to "dillute the attention". Thing is, I don't think scum would feel any threat to quickly come to scumdragonz help. They weren't damning questions like "why are you so scum as fuck?"

Now as toma mentioned in his theory, there's still a chance there could be scum in the various people who did answer. I think even if dragonz wasn't scum, there could be one or two real scum who might want to "fit in" and go along with what other people are doing by answering hyper's questions.

It could be totally wrong, like climate change and the existence of dinosaurs. But I don't think it's a horrible thought process by toma.

At this point i'm going to burble fart and give him lean-ok person who doesn't offend me on day 1, otherwise known as null. If toma does turn out to be scum, it's worth considering he might be giving scumbroHyper some help. Since his theory is based around the idea that Hyper is a townie.

dragonz -

In her first Q&A with Hyper, there was a bit where she said in that in her first game as scum, she stayed under the radar. If she's scum, it could be a subtle wink to the audience that there's no way she could be scum again, since she's not playing under the radar. Although she later reasoned that it was due to being new to the game, and real life stuff, that made her play under the radar. Perhaps from now on, scum or townie, dragonz intends to be more proactive.

In terms of posts, there's a good chunk (not a majority, I think) from her that I consider fluff, which can be useful to create the illusion of activity. The meatier posts, I think she makes an attempt to interact with others instead of posting very little or posting endless shenanipoops.

Whether intentional or not, she gives off a slight bandwagon vibe, especially after the "post 3 townies" situation.

I'll give her a lean-minor-suspicious

If she turns out to be scum, I might look at catcovccva with suspicious eyes, simply because he chose to vote for her, and then backed away from that. Was scumCat simply trying to do a minor jab at his scumbro dragonz in public? I also think it would be weird if catocova, dragonz, AND timetokill were all on the same scum squad. One scum voting for dragonz, OK sure. Two scum in a row voting for dragonz, when there's no reason to bus. My gut says no, pal.

Timeaisis

No, Toma isn't happening. You still haven't gave us a good reason to vote him.

I'm still down for a dusk or exodu5 vote. I've moved off Hyper for now. I like his recent posts, generally

Ourobolus

Banned
wherearemahdragonz (2)
hyperactivity 205 (335)
catvoca 655 (703)
timetokill 656
tomakasatnav 910 (913)
tomakasatnav 913

mattyg (0)
batsnacks 222 (626)
ourobolus 245 (300)
ourobolus 624 (714)

hyperactivity (2)
kingkitty 224 (474)
dusk soldier 253 (641)
a human becoming 264
timeaisis 459 (678)
wherearemahdragonz 693

batsnacks (0)
ourobolus 300 (417)
ourobolus 433 (490)

ourobolus (2)
salvapot 327 (857)
hyperactivity 335 (360)
mattyg 644
salvapot 948

crab (0)
hyperactivity 360 (614)

theexodu5</b> (0)
barrylocke 377 (383)

wherearemahdragonz </b> (0)
barrylocke 383 (779)

stackpoleh (0)
ourobolus 417 (433)
timetokill 472 (656)

dusk soldier (2)
kingkitty 474
stackpoleh 557 (923)
batsnacks 733 (943)
timeaisis 869

timeaisis (1)
ourobolus 490 (624)
dusk soldier 641

theexodu5 (1)
batsnacks 626 (682)
timeaisis 692 (869)
barrylocke 813 (815)
barrylocke 815

salvapot (1)
*splinter 650 (835)
euphemism 654

kyanrute (1)
nin1000 653

theexodo5 (0)
timeaisis 678 (692)

euphemism (0)
batsnacks 682 (733)

catvoca (0)
ourobolus 714 (716)

timetokill (0)
ourobolus 716 (864)
hyperactivity 994 (1000)

no lynch (2)
theexodu5 828
salvapot 857 (948)
retroid 858

tomakasatnav (1)
*splinter 835

retroid (2)
ourobolus 864
kyanrute 877

absolutbro (1)
catvoca 1018

Toma isn't happening, is it?

Can we have a vote count?

You're the only one with a vote on him atm

I think Hyper is a good lynch, but I don't think it's going to happen today. So for me it's between timetokill (seems very scummy, as mentioned above) and toma (also very scummy). Problem is, I don't know which one. I would be comfortable with voting for either one of them today, or even a Dusk lynch because he still doesn't sit right with me, so I may consider that too. If this seems bandwagonny I apologize, I'm just trying to consider all my options.

Remind me why you want a toma lynch? I've forgotten.

Unvote

batsnacks

Bats you made a whole hullabaloo about dusk and now you aren't voting for anyone.

I was trying to get votes together and dusk seemed like biggest consensus at the time.

My hullabaloo did get duck to respond though, and he said stuff about absolutbro that no one else was posting about at the time.

batsnacks

We need like 6-8 people to be voting the same person right now.

06 [m] euphemism
10 [f] StackpoleH
12 [m] TheExodu5
13 [m] MattyG
17 [m] AbsolutBro

These people are un-vouched for.

We need like 6-8 people to be voting the same person right now.

06 [m] euphemism
10 [f] StackpoleH
12 [m] TheExodu5
13 [m] MattyG
17 [m] AbsolutBro

These people are un-vouched for.

I haven't been able to get any reads on any of these people except for Exodu5, and even then it's a flimsy one at best. Your thoughts?

batsnacks

absolutbro - dusk called him out and catvoca is sheeping dusk. lynching this person we get rid of one of the worst under the radar people and we learn about a lot about dusk and a little about catvoca. absolutbro was giving out newbie advice at the beginning of the game a townie that's doing that should be excited to contribute. the extent of absolutbro's contributions have been the newbie advice and him defending himself.

theexodu5 - he was the most scum read person in the middle of this phase but no one was voting him for a good while. If TheExodu5 is town mafia could have been all over this. If we lynch TheExodu5 we learn about Timeaisis and barrylocke, and a little about me since I was the initial vote on him.

stackpole - under the radar. If we lynch stackpole we learn a little about timetokill.

euphemism - had that random post/vote check in and then bailed. If we lynch euphemism we don't learn very much.

MattyG - MattyG wants to lynch today "as bad as that sounds" yet hasn't moved his vote since he omgused ouro; also hasn't participated except to briefly defend himself. If we lynch MattyG we learn about batsnacks and ouro.

that's where I'm at. I didn't reread this so sorry if a lot of this is word salad nonsense.

Catvoca

Banned
Seems weird you say we won't learn anything from lynching Euphemism. A bunch of people have called him out throughout the game (don't recall the names right-now, but I cna go back and check). By the logic you're using for learning something about Dusk and I by lynching AbsolutBro, the same could be said for people commenting on Euphemism earlier no?

For the record, all those people you listed are basically interchangeable at this point. I'm easy voting anyone from the list. I really don't want a no-lynch.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I am content with Hyperactivity, Dusk Soldier, or AbsolutBro. Either of the first two because I want to figure out what was up with the strange interactions between them, AbsolutBro because he's just floating along and it unnerves me. For now:

VOTE: AbsolutBro

This is way too scattershot... I want a thunderdome, and I'd like batsnacks or Catvoca or myself to pick the targets.

I'd just like to say that I want a thunder dome as well

but if this current situation holds, the last hour will be hectic thunder domes. people with weaker leads/votes that don't seem to go anywhere are going to rapidly switch

TheExodu5

Banned
Here's my problem right now.

For one, there are too many damned long posts here. I don't have the time to read through all the fluff and overly verbose posts. I want facts, hypothesis, and voting patterns. All we've got so far are weak "reads" scattered throughout massive walls of text. I don't have the time or patience to sift through all of this. This is why I'm inactive at this point. I also feel like it's much easier for scum to hide within active posters than inactive ones at this point.

Right now, barrylocke and batsnacks have twice tried to get a bandwagon started against me. Barrylocke failed the first time and went back on me. Now batsnacks is calling to go back against me. Batsnacks is also being quite active, which I find more suspect than anything day 1. In all the games I've been in, scum have tried to take lead of the conversation...Hyper did it in HP, and I feel like Batsnacks is doing it here.

I was content with a no lynch on day 1, but I'd rather not take the inevitable vote train lying down.

Vote: batsnacks

Top Bottom