• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After seeing how amazing sony's games looked at E3 i'm wishing Neo gets upgraded

Absolutely.

I just find it funny that there are people who assume the answer to Microsofts problems is simply making a more powerful console.

^ People who believe that are crazy. Microsoft is not winning this gen for a variety of reasons. The relative power of the box is just one of them, but, it's a problem that can be solved, and they seem keen to solve it.

Proelite

Not at all for games like fall out 4 that are CPU intensive. Even the AMD A10 can hardly reach 40FPS. I doubt a over clocked jaguar is even as powerful as the A10. Even an I3 can't even hold 60FPS and that kills the Jaguar. I don't see any reason to get the NEO if it has Jaguar/Puma. Going to be to many 30FPS games thanks to the crappy CPU. They should wait till 2017 and drop the Zen into it which is rumored to be I5 levels.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference

Bestheda games aren't the best examples for optimized gamecode. :p

pixelation

OP you say they look amazing already.

Yeah, they do look amazing making me wonder if we even need better specced machines, i'd be quite happy with this visuals running with impeccable IQ, if that is achievable on the NX than that's all that i really need. Don't give a baboons red ass about the 60FPS myself... a stable 30FPS is more than OK with me.

You havent seen anything running on Neo and you already want a Upgrade? lol

Yeah, they do look amazing making me wonder if we even need better specced machines, i'd be quite happy with this visuals running with impeccable IQ, if that is achievable on the NX than that's all that i really need. Don't give a baboons red ass about the 60FPS myself... a stable 30FPS is more than OK with me.

There is still a lot of stuff you can improve. Better Particles, better Shadows Quality, Higher Quality HBAO etc...

Wiped89

OP said:
After seeing how amazing Sony's games looked on standard PS4 hardware, I hope they add extra power to the already more powerful upcoming Neo model even though I've already rendered it unnecessary to do so

OP.

Pif

Banned
Fun fact: your average shinny 6Tflop scorpio and 5Tflop Neo games probably won't have the polish and detail of Uncharted 4 on a 1.8Tflop machine. They will look most likely like upres'd xb1/ps4 games with high textures and better shadows thrown in.

4k witcher 3 vs uncharted 4
xS3PPCK.jpg

Uncharted4-1.jpg

Edit: wtf. You get the idea without U4 pics anyway.

Fun fact: your average shinny 6Tflop scorpio and 5Tflop Neo games probably won't have the polish and detail of Uncharted 4 on a 1.8Tflop machine. They will look most likely like upres'd xb1/ps4 games with high textures and better shadows thrown in.

4k witcher 3 vs uncharted 4
xS3PPCK.jpg

Uncharted4-1.jpg

Edit: wtf. You get the idea without U4 pics anyway.

this looks better then uncharted 4, and is doing way more techially.

miniobzor-witcher-3-wild-hunt.jpg

Blizzje

I've seen comments that it would actually be harder to render a neo game under 1080p. Is there any truth to that? Won't lowering the resolution increase the fps?

In a case as Ni Oh aloha demo, even lowering to 720p doesn't let the ps4 hit a solid 60. If a neo version of Ni Oh gets put out, won't the dev want to lower the res to get to the target 60fps?

Would appreciate a technical explanation about this, thanks!

Why do people think having the most powerful box on the market will turn MS into the industry leader again? When has horsepower alone ever done that for a console manufacturer?

The main correlating factors always seem to be price and release date relative to the competition. The PS2 was the weaker than the GCN and Xbox but launched before them (though for a higher price than the GCN), while the PS3 launched after the 360 and at a higher price and ended up costing Sony a ton of market share. With this gen, MS and Sony released at basically the same time but Sony had the cheaper console, and the more powerful hardware just made it an even better value compared to what MS was offering.

I don't see Scorpio, with its boosted specs, launching at the same or lower price point as the Neo, and it's going to do so an entire year later, which is more analogous to the position the original Xbox and the PS3 were in compared to the competition in their respective generations.

On the other hand, MS may end up mixing things up a bit by turning the Scorpio into the first console of Gen 9 and trying to replicate the successful 360 that kicked off a generation before the competition, only with perfect 'last gen' XBOne backwards compatibility. It seems like a significant enough leap in power, and MS has only promised that XBO games and accessories will all work with Scorpio but never promised the reverse. If they line things up that way and stack the Scorpio as the first true Gen 9 console against the Neo, which appears to be a half step more firmly rooted in Gen 8, they may be able to swing things in their favor.

Top Bottom