• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision's Ghostbusters (2016)

USA Today got a exclusive reveal of the game, teaser trailer included. YouTube link for the trailer.

635962080239068674-Ghostbusters-Game-3.jpg

Four-player co-op RPG. Will be released July 12 for PS4, XBO, and Steam.

Takes place after the reboot movie, with a new team of both males and females (lol). They are tasked to keep NYC safe, while the all-female team from the reboot movie leave the city after becoming famous, tackling high-profile ghosts around the country.

There's another tie-in game, Ghostbusters: Slime City, coming too. Specifically for select smartphones and tablets (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle). Also expected to be released in July.

Don't know who the developer is, but I'm expecting the standard movie tie-in licensed game quality (shovelware) nonetheless.

Also, if the movie turns out to be poor, and the game does too...lol, perfect storm of crap much?

USA Today got a exclusive reveal of the game, teaser trailer included.

Takes place after the reboot movie, with a new team of both males and females (lol). THey are tasked to keep NYC safe, while the all-female team from the reboot movie leave the city after becoming famous, tackling high-profile ghosts around the country.

There's another tie-in game, Ghostbusters: Slime City, coming too. Specifically for select smartphones and tablets (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle). Also expected to be released in July.

Don't know who the developer is, but I'm expecting the standard movie tie-in licensed game quality (shovelware) nonetheless.

I wonder if they'll take the plot in that direction for the movie's sequel.

I wonder if they'll take the plot in that direction for the movie's sequel.

That's actually the plot of an arc in the IDW comics.

This is kind of exactly what I want from Ghostbusters moving forward. I don't want people to get so hung up on a specific cast of characters that it makes franchising impossible again, I want there to be tons of Ghostbusters all over the world with each movie showing us each team's adventures, how ghosts differ from region to region, all the different tech the different teams come up with, etc.

This is kind of exactly what I want from Ghostbusters moving forward. I don't want people to get so hung up on a specific cast of characters that it makes franchising impossible again, I want there to be tons of Ghostbusters all over the world with each movie showing us each team's adventures, how ghosts differ from region to region, all the different tech the different teams come up with, etc.

This is exactly what I wanted and wasn't this what Aykroyd wanted for his GB3? I recall a treatment where the Ghostbusters brand went global(or at least National) and had branches in many major cities(in Aykroyd's treatment, became so big that the "Ghostbusters" name has become a great corporation and lost touch with its humbler beginnings).

I always felt that "different division/branch" thing could've been a way to expand the universe without actually rebooting the series. I've said this before, ghosts aren't exclusively tied to New York City. Who's to say Chicago or LA's without ghosts? What about other countries? I remember they actually focused on this in the Real Ghostbusters cartoon(they'd travel around sometimes and battle creatures of different lores).

This is exactly what I wanted and wasn't this what Aykroyd wanted for his GB3? I recall a treatment where the Ghostbusters brand went global(or at least National) and had branches in many major cities(in Aykroyd's treatment, became so big that the "Ghostbusters" name has become a great corporation and lost touch with its humbler beginnings).

I always felt that "different division/branch" thing could've been a way to expand the universe without actually rebooting the series. I've said this before, ghosts aren't exclusively tied to New York City. Who's to say Chicago or LA's without ghosts? What about other countries? I remember they actually focused on this in the Real Ghostbusters cartoon(they'd travel around sometimes and battle creatures of different lores).

If I remember in the 2009 Ghostbuster's game Venkman is trying to ship you off to their newly opened Cincinnati office.

Would've been a much better idea than this dopey reboot thing.

FAKE EDIT: "Venkman: Louis has been scouting locations, and I think we're prepared to offer a potentially lucrative Ghostbusters franchise in either Chicago, Los Angeles, or Cincinnati. I'll pick."

The problem with the idea of that existing within the original continuity is that the characters of Peter, Ray, Egon, and Winston are SO ingrained in people's minds as THE GHOSTBUSTERS, the only way to really do it is to start fresh with new characters. To keep it in old continuity they would have had to still have the originals show up in some capacity and as we can see from the reactions that a reboot is getting, to the majority of people Ghostbusters isn't about any group of people who hunt ghosts, it's specifically those four guys. They had to cut ties to the old series in order to move forward with the franchise, much like how Sony is using MIB 23 as a soft reboot for Men in Black so they can continue making those movies without needing to bring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones back every time.

If I remember in the 2009 Ghostbuster's game Venkman is trying to ship you off to their newly opened Cincinnati office.

Would've been a much better idea than this dopey reboot thing.

FAKE EDIT: "Venkman: Louis has been scouting locations, and I think we're prepared to offer a potentially lucrative Ghostbusters franchise in either Chicago, Los Angeles, or Cincinnati. I'll pick."
Yep, and if you read the IDW comics, they send the Rookie to head the new branch, which they set up in Chicago. They visit him in the Haunted America arc, too!

USA Today got a exclusive reveal of the game, teaser trailer included. YouTube link for the trailer.

Takes place after the reboot movie, with a new team of both males and females (lol). They are tasked to keep NYC safe, while the all-female team from the reboot movie leave the city after becoming famous, tackling high-profile ghosts around the country.

Also, if the movie turns out to be poor, and the game does too...lol, perfect storm of crap much?

So it's kind of Sanctum of Slime 2.

Hopefully it turns out better than that game did.

SScorpio

The problem with the idea of that existing within the original continuity is that the characters of Peter, Ray, Egon, and Winston are SO ingrained in people's minds as THE GHOSTBUSTERS, the only way to really do it is to start fresh with new characters. To keep it in old continuity they would have had to still have the originals show up in some capacity and as we can see from the reactions that a reboot is getting, to the majority of people Ghostbusters isn't about any group of people who hunt ghosts, it's specifically those four guys. They had to cut ties to the old series in order to move forward with the franchise, much like how Sony is using MIB 23 as a soft reboot for Men in Black so they can continue making those movies without needing to bring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones back every time.

Yep, and if you read the IDW comics, they send the Rookie to head the new branch, which they set up in Chicago. They visit him in the Haunted America arc, too!

Which people would probably be fine with in the movie. In the last game you played the Rookie and at the end you are granted your own ghostbusting franchise. Having the movie have the old character's minus Egon for obvious reasons hand off to the new generation is all that most fans want. Instead they are doing a reboot with cameos that will probably be Stan Lee sized.

This new game also looks way too much like Sanctum of Slime which was horrible garbage.

KalBalboa

Banned
I wonder how out of the question a remaster of the PS3/360/PC game was.

That running on a PS4 with split screen co-op... A man can dream.

It's always a good sign when things go radio silent so close to release right?

Right?

Activision simply do not put any marketing dollars behind anything but there big games. There is a solid chance this game could be good, and the same goes for it been bad, but Activision will not care regardless. I realized this back in 2010 when Activision's lack of advertising for a bunch of fantastic Raven Software games - X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Wolfenstein, and Singularity - all but killed the studio.

But it is probably not a good sign when Google warns me the developers website may be hacked when I go to search about it.

HYRI5Cml.png

Activision hasn't promoted it much, but I'm surprised Sony hasn't either since it is their film property. I'm hoping it plays like a Diablo game only with Ghostbusters. The lack of online play is disappointing but it could be a fun couch co-op.

bengraven

Not sure if that will work. GB is one of those franchises that came out in the 80s where New York as a setting was basically another character. It's almost blasphemy to think of doing a GB movie in any other town.

So I just played about an hour and a half of it. Here are my thoughts

-The game has no known characters from either movie
-Very repetitive, same types of ghosts (sometimes they're zombies) show up over and over
-The venting button doesn't seem very responsive
-Each character has their own weapon, and only on a few certain characters do you get to use the proton pack
-When you do use the proton pack, it's just moving the analog stick to where the screen is showing you and then throwing out the trap. Very little skill involved.

Here is my twitch stream from earlier tonight, https://www.twitch.tv/shabbadoojr/v/77587613

Spades

-Very repetitive, same types of ghosts (sometimes they're zombies) show up over and over
-Each character has their own weapon, and only on a few certain characters do you get to use the proton pack
-When you do use the proton pack, it's just moving the analog stick to where the screen is showing you and then throwing out the trap. Very little skill involved.

Here is my twitch stream from earlier tonight, https://www.twitch.tv/shabbadoojr/v/77587613

Did you play in co-op at all?

Ah, gets me nostalgic for the licensed games of yore.

At least it's not a glitchy mess.

Taking The Ghostbusters out of NYC is like taking the TMNT out of NYC. Just doesn't work as well.

Game looks like a $10 indie game. Would love a Platinum Games based off The Real Ghostbusters cartoon, even if its a Vanquish reskin.

Not sure if that will work. GB is one of those franchises that came out in the 80s where New York as a setting was basically another character. It's almost blasphemy to think of doing a GB movie in any other town.
I understand what you mean and I've seen that point brought up before but I also think, and please don't take this as an insult against you in particular, that that is fucking stupid. NYC isn't the only place on Earth, let alone in the US, that has ghosts. One team of four people is not going to be able to solve all the paranormal outbreaks in one country and the concept of Ghostbusters/Ghostbusting, if taken as a real thing, would never EVER remain exclusive to one city. They'd either franchise out to keep the business for themselves or "Ghostbusters Inc" would stay in NYC and imitators would pop up around the globe. Aykroyd himself has said that he imagined a GB3 where they were franchised out, describing a scene with a fleet of Ecto-1s driving across the Golden Gate Bridge. Venkman talks about franchising out within the first 10-20 minutes of the first movie and in the game AKA third movie they also talk about franchising out again and sending Rookie to head the new office, so even the creators see the concept as ripe for expansion beyond NYC.

This comes down to the same "problem" as people being unable to separate the concept of Ghostbusters from the characters and actors. Tracking and capturing ghosts is way too big a concept to keep in such a small scope in one city.

GavinUK86

Jesus christ stay off the Steam forums. It's full of the simple minded trash you'd expect whenever someone mentions Ghostbusters now.

The game isn't very good though. I just played about an hour of it. They're asking a bit too much for what boils down to a very generic twin stick shooter with a big name plastered on top.

That isn't them. They are at http://www.fireforgegames.com but their website is down. They are located in SoCal.

Their website has been down for awhile. An old lead of mine works for them and I wanted to see what they were up to a few weeks ago and their site was down back then. Still down now. I thought at one point they were trying to make their own MoBA but I'm guessing they needed some kind of cash flow/completed project.

Reminds me of Big Red Button and how they had a lot of hype and talent and then didn't do anything for years before putting out a not so good licensed game.

Bluth54

Taking The Ghostbusters out of NYC is like taking the TMNT out of NYC. Just doesn't work as well.
The IDW comic arc where the Ghostbusters travel across the US is great. The current arc has them traveling internationally. I haven't read it yet but I got the first graphic novel today.

Top Bottom