• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Last-Gen 32/64-Bit U.S. J.RPG Sales (SAT, PSX, N64)

i don't understand why people get angry at bumping old threads. If the subject matter is relevant then there's nothing wrong with using the thread.

IMO it's not that the thread was bumped, but how it was. Literally "I bumped this to say I want to do that." Do that, then come back and post about it either here or in a new thread.

IMO it's not that the thread was bumped, but how it was. Literally "I bumped this to say I want to do that." Do that, then come back and post about it either here or in a new thread.
If he wanted to bump a thread where he put a lot of work to create, i think the bump is fair and warranted.

Besides that, this is very interesting sales data. Some people that might have missed this years ago have the chance to be aware of it.

Saturn was the definiton of niche in America, just like the N64 was in Japan. A role reversal.

Hybrid Heaven put some good numbers relatively speaking. It outsold a lot of the PSX RPGs with strong cult following.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
i don't understand why people get angry at bumping old threads. If the subject matter is relevant then there's nothing wrong with using the thread.

Anyway on topic, im really surprised with the numbers of RPG series such as Alundra, Suikoden, Grandia and Valkyre Profile. With the amount of following and word of mouth that they gather, one would expect for the numbers to be more impressive.

And what to say about Quest 64? A game made in the right time, released with perfect timing.
Bumping an old thread can mess with archiving. It's not a worry for users typically, unless it starts causing noticeable glitches, but I can see people behind the scenes being irritated if it creates work for them.

Bumping an old thread can mess with archiving. It's not a worry for users typically, unless it starts causing noticeable glitches, but I can see people behind the scenes being irritated if it creates work for them.
Most of the complains i' ve seen come from normal users and i don't think the complexities of "archiving" were the main issues on their mind.

Some times resurrecting a thread deserves criticism, but not always.

Everyone that didn't buy Valkyrie Profile sure missed out.
Silver Star Story Complete was "supposedly" a colectors edition and it sold more than 222K, which are respectable numbers compared to the rest of entries on the list.

It surprises me that companies that specialized in localising japanase RPGs with these kind of numbers could stay afloat. Working Designs is one such company that got a lot of notoriety during the mid to late 90's.

Ashtar

Wow I guess I shouldn't be surprised but some of those numbers are REALLY low, like FFVII , XV would have to sell like 5 times that to make it's budget back but that game was considered a huge.

I think this really shows that not a lot of people actually played a lot of the games even though they claim they have, kind of funny really. Only game on that list I owned before very recently was Guardian Heros for Saturn

Wow I guess I shouldn't be surprised but some of those numbers are REALLY low, like FFVII , XV would have to sell like 5 times that to make it's budget back but that game was considered a huge.

I think this really shows that not a lot of people actually played a lot of the games even though they claim they have, kind of funny really. Only game on that list I owned before very recently was Guardian Heros for Saturn

Rentals?

I didn't really get into playing JRPGs until Chrono Trigger, and I didn't start BUYING JRPGs until I got my Playstation. Even then, the only games I bought were pretty exclusively SE games.

I did buy Breath of Fire 3 and 4 though. That list just shows me I really missed out on a lot during that generation. :(

The number for VII isn't low. It was just a different time in the industry. A good example of that is during that generation the best selling game sold 12m units while last generation had multiple games selling 30m+ units.

Experimentation was such a big thing back then because you didn't need massive sales to really turn a profit. And a game not selling well wouldn't mean the doom of your entire company.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Most of the complains i' ve seen come from normal users and i don't think the complexities of "archiving" were the main issues on their mind.

Some times resurrecting a thread deserves criticism, but not always.
I'm aware of that, I can see how that wouldn't be clear. It's an artifact of internet software from 15 to 20 years ago I think; bumping old threads used to actually cause problems, so it was against the rules on lots of forums. Now it's a vestigial rule on a lot of forums, and even when it's not it's a such an ingrained faux pas in internet culture that people get up in a huff about it for no reason.

I think if a thread is still relevant, or becomes relevant again, if someone remembers it there's no reason not to use it again. GAF's got a rule against bumping old threads, but the mods seem to be lax about it if the conversation starts up again or it otherwise seemed reasonable.

Personally I'm glad that this thread was bumped from the grave, I love this type of threads and I found it very interesting. Great work, thank you.

Square2015

If he wanted to bump a thread where he put a lot of work to create, i think the bump is fair and warranted.

Besides that, this is very interesting sales data. Some people that might have missed this years ago have the chance to be aware of it.

Saturn was the definiton of niche in America, just like the N64 was in Japan. A role reversal.

Hybrid Heaven put some good numbers relatively speaking. It outsold a lot of the PSX RPGs with strong cult following.
Yeah, the real reason I bumped this was so a new generation could see the sales data from this era and alas it's been ten years since posted.

Edit: also some of that data could be updated (slight bump maybe)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Interesting list, with a few really surprising things on it. I would have expected Xenogears to do much better in America than it did, also plenty surprised that Guardian's Crusade did better than I thought. Also nice to see classic series like Lunar, BOF, and WA regularly do within the 100-200k range.

Similar sales updates for gen 6/7 RPGs would be cool too.

Top Bottom