• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K TV's For Around $1000?

Man you guys are seriously overpaying.
I have a 55inch 4k LG that I paid $523 for at Walmart.

I had to check the date of this thread to make sure this was a 2016 thread

Pfft I picked up a Seiki for 200 bucks off ebay brand new. Took some time to configure out the flaws and the colors aren't the best but I can game at 4k 60 fps on my pc if I want to now. 4k looks pretty awesome for gaming.

Ricker

Do not buy a 4K TV for 1000(55 inch or more)...the IQ probably sucks,you will get ghosting,the contrast will go to shit as soon as you are 1 feet from dead center of the screen etc etc...this means the sets from a Best Buy or Walmart etc with their brand names,like Insigna(although not the worst) or like Oni,Baycrest etc etc...wait or pay more for a Sony or Samsung,if budget isnt a problem....

Also if you can go 55 inch or more,a nice 55 inch doesnt need that much space and its the perfect size...

Tjamato88

I'm getting ready to move into a new house and I'm looking for a secondary TV to use in my game room. Should I be looking for a 4K set even if I'm just using my PS4 on it?

I'm not big into TVs so I don't know how the picture will look if it's being upscaled into 4K. Any help would be awesome. I'm seeing a lot of hype for the Vizio P-series is that what I should be looking to get?

Do not buy a 4K TV for 1000(55 inch or more)...the IQ probably sucks,you will get ghosting,the contrast will go to shit as soon as you are 1 feet from dead center of the screen etc etc...this means the sets from a Best Buy or Walmart etc with their brand names,like Insigna(although not the worst) or like Oni,Baycrest etc etc...wait or pay more for a Sony or Samsung,if budget isnt a problem....

Also if you can go 55 inch or more,a nice 55 inch doesnt need that much space and its the perfect size...
The Sony Bravia 65inch 850c is around $1000 (bought the 55 inch for $899 new) UHD with HDR, Triluminos(quantum dot) display, x-reality processor, Android TV, and ~35ms input lag in game mode. It has great picture quality, not just for the price.

Dubz

So I got a 65" Sony XBR850C. This model does not have HDR, which is sort of a bummer, but the picture quality is outstanding, and I'm really enjoying it. I got it for just over $1000 from a local dealer.

EDIT: it looks like this model does have HDR after a firmware update. Yay.

anddo0

I have a Sony KDL-55900A from I believe 2013. It's probably too soon for me to upgrade to a 4K tv though. I'm thinking one more year, I still love my tv now. Is an upgrade really worth it right now?

I'm surprised at all the Vizio recommendations. Last time I was shopping for a tv, the experts seemed to think they were subpar but decent value.

Similar model (Dec 2013)

I'd say wait for next CES, if you're sticking to Sony, TBH. It's not worth it yet.
I'm personally waiting to see just how Neo will use 4K.

SOLDIER

My last TV purchase was only a couple years ago, a 55 inch 1080p LED with 3D.

If I were to upgrade to a 4K TV, it would need to at least be that size and build quality. I can't imagine it would be priced the same.

How much 4K content even is there, currently? Last I checked I could count the number of 4K movies with one hand.

Ricker

My last TV purchase was only a couple years ago, a 55 inch 1080p LED with 3D.

If I were to upgrade to a 4K TV, it would need to at least be that size and build quality. I can't imagine it would be priced the same.

How much 4K content even is there, currently? Last I checked I could count the number of 4K movies with one hand.

Not a lot besides sports so far(talking about regular satellite or fiber/cable content from DirectTV and others)...and Netflix.

There are frequent deals for this TV on eBay in the $800 range. Check Slickdeals history.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x810c (The 55" version)

It's a fantastic TV

It has HDR support, but you won't see much difference since the TV doesn't get very bright and doesn't have the wider color gamut. The Vizio P Series (besides the 55 inch) is a true HDR TV with better input lag, a full-array LED, and Dolby Vision support (with HDR10 coming soon). I'd suggest spending another $100 and getting one of those.

It has HDR support, but you won't see much difference since the TV doesn't get very bright and doesn't have the wider color gamut. The Vizio P Series (besides the 55 inch) is a true HDR TV with better input lag, a full-array LED, and Dolby Vision support (with HDR10 coming soon). I'd suggest spending another $100 and getting one of those.

What is the 55 inch difference?

No HDR support for the 810. The 850c starts HDR support as 850c and up have Triluminos quantum dot displays.

The 65inch 850c with full array Led and HDR with ~39ms input lag can be had for around $1000. The 55inch edge lit 850c can be had for around $900.
Edit: corrected input lag

Caayn

The Sony Bravia 65inch 850c is around $1000 (bought the 55 inch for $899 new) UHD with HDR, Triluminos(quantum dot) display, x-reality processor, Android TV, and ~35ms input lag in game mode. It has great picture quality, not just for the price.
Don't expect much from HDR on the 55" as it's an edge-lit display without local dimming and lacks brightness.

Knuxie

Neo Member
I actually JUST got a 40inch Samsung 4k TV last week on sale for $500

Upgraded from a 42inch Hitachi PLASMA... from 2005... Yeah...

Kawika

$1400 gets you a Sony 65" 810C (true 120hz set) and $100 more gets you a 900c

As much love as the new vizio is gettin, their 65" set is $2K. The upside to the casting is that the tv might not quit before the smart features does. The bad side is that tablet is probably pretty shit and will likely fail before the screen does.

Personally, I would have rather had google cast built in and let me control it with my smart phone. Cut the costs and everyone wins. Don't forget, if you are comparing the vizio to a sony, samsung or lg you are dealing with a company who;s track record speaks for itself. They hit a home run but will it be good for years to come?

That said, I have the 810c and will likely get the 900c for the living room.

Aces&Eights

$1400 gets you a Sony 65" 810C (true 120hz set) and $100 more gets you a 900c

As much love as the new vizio is gettin, their 65" set is $2K. The upside to the casting is that the tv might not quit before the smart features does. The bad side is that tablet is probably pretty shit and will likely fail before the screen does.

Personally, I would have rather had google cast built in and let me control it with my smart phone. Cut the costs and everyone wins. Don't forget, if you are comparing the vizio to a sony, samsung or lg you are dealing with a company who;s track record speaks for itself. They hit a home run but will it be good for years to come?

That said, I have the 810c and will likely get the 900c for the living room.

I must admit, Samsung has been good to me. Took the 1080p plunge a few years back and picked up a 55inch LED and a 42inch plasma. Both used constantly. Never had an issue with either one. Use the LED for gaming and the plasma for TV/Sports. If their 4Ks are of the same quality as what I have experienced I have no problem laying down a grand on a Sammy.

Kawika

I must admit, Samsung has been good to me. Took the 1080p plunge a few years back and picked up a 55inch LED and a 42inch plasma. Both used constantly. Never had an issue with either one. Use the LED for gaming and the plasma for TV/Sports. If their 4Ks are of the same quality as what I have experienced I have no problem laying down a grand on a Sammy.

Oh I have 2 Samsung TVs too. I have a 32" in my office that I swear is the best looking 1080p I have ever seen. Sony and Samsung tend to be the two brands I stick with.

RxFiller

Neo Member

I highly recommend checking out the Samsung JS9000. It's a recently discontinued model so the price will be dropping as stores seek to get rid of stock, but it is one of the best models out there if you aren't turned off by curved screens. It has dropped from $2600 before last Black Friday to $1600 on amazon at the moment, but the review on rtings will help justify the price. Unlike some other 4K sets with good gaming specs the movie features don't suffer.

Gamerman1

My Vizio M series 43 inch 4K is in my bedroom. Had it for 8 months. On for 9-12 hours a day. I use it as a pc monitor and for bluray and PS4 gaming. PC gaming I use 1080p 120hz and it works great.

Ristlager

I am thinking about buying a new 75" tv. And looking at different test on 1080p vs 4K, almost all of them writes that there is little to no real difference in detail if I sit more than 3m away from the screen (which I will be). Is there any reason at all for me to buy a 4K tv. I have no 4K streaming options, no plans to buy a 4K blue ray device. Tv signals here in Norway is in 720p and I don't think 4K is within 10 years. I will however buy PS4Neo when it arrives, but I would much rather play with smooth 1080p vs more laggy 4K.

It looks like a cheap 75" Samsung 4K for 25000kr and a good Samsung 1080p for 19900kr
Here are the two TVs:

http://www.siba.no/tv-lyd-bilde/samsung-ue75h6475suxxe-112714

http://www.elkjop.no/product/tv-lyd-og-bilde/tv/UE75JU6475XXE/samsung-75-smart-led-tv-ue75ju6475xe

mrklaw

MrArseFace
75" 4K should definitely be noticeable,never at 3m which sounds like a normal viewing distance. If you're planning to keep the TV for 5+ years, who can say what 4K sources you'll have by then?

It's a tricky decision though. Personally I want HDR to come down in price a little before jumping in, but my 1080p set is fine for now so I'm happy to wait.

WeskerXXI

Like other users in this thread, I'm moving very soon and looking into buying a TV at last (didn't have room for it before, just used the PC monitor for everything).

I can get a Samsung 55JU7500 for around 1100 euros (I'm from Spain, no Vizios for me), and I was considering it since the model was one of last year's top picks for gaming on displaylag.com and rtings.com and it looks like it offers a well rounded package for movies too. A low input lag is critical for me since I play a lot of fighting games.

The thing is that I fear buying an outdated model, but jumping to the Samsung 49KS8000 will set me back more than 1500 euros, and almost 2000 for the 55 inches model.

So what do you guys think? Is the 55JU7500 for 1100 euros a good deal still? Should I look into other models? I always question myself a lot when looking into spending that kind of money.

Knuxie

Neo Member
Is it worth it to go curved?

I don't know anything about the technical aspects, so my opinion is going off of "is it cool?" factor...

I would say yes. The view from curved displays is very nice. However, I would assume that you need to be seated in a very specific spot to get the full effect.

Bizzquik

To be clear: you really do want a 4K HDR television.

Don't be like me. I have a Sony that is two years old. But it may as well be twenty years old.
It only does 4:2:0 chroma - instead of 4:4:4 chroma - and it does not do HDR. I should've just gone with a really nice 1080p and saved some scratch.

Remf

Just a heads up. Brandsmart is have a sale starting Saturday for their 4k tv's. Some of them are over 1k off. Just got the news letter yesterday.

Futurematic

Anybody know when Vizio Ps are hitting Canada? Our TV prices are insane. The only $999/1099 4K HDR tv that seems decent is the LG UH6100/6500 and that's 43", the 49" models are $1299/1399. Ah well c'mon sales!

Edit: lol, I guess Best Buy reads this thread because they knocked off a hundred bucks

Seems Vizio isn't available where I am. It sounds perfect for my needs :(

What is the next best option for 4K+HDR in the 50" range?

I don't want to buy the most crappy display either just because it's the cheapest. At that point I might as well buy a great 1080p screen for the same price. The only reason I go 4K now is that I HAVE to buy a TV now as I'm moving and I'm currently TV-less. Might as well future-proof for the next couple of years.
I will also try to get the best out of it by adjusting everything manually etc.

Specifically one that goes well with gaming? (PS4, but might connect a PC to actually use the resolution until the newer consoles are there)

btw I never owned a TV with (low fps) game mode and 24fps support, do you have to like, constantly switch modes depending on if you watch a movie or play a game?
I'm used to just turn most image "enhancers" off to get a fast refresh rate and go with one manual setup for everything. Overscan option is hopefully standard nowadays, too.

edit: actually one more thing, there are no weird standards with 4K and HDR one has to watch out for, right?

Kuksune

i bought a 55" 4k samsung tv yesterday for 6000SEK which roughly is 600$.

so yes it is possible to get a good deal.

SPCTRE

It's purely preference, it's a different style that you either like or not. What shape do you want your TV to be? That's all it is really.
I'd also take viewing angles into account before jumping into curved - let's say your SO is watching you play regularly from a relatively wide couch etc.

Top Bottom