• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best way to play the Metroid Prime games?

maxcriden

The MPT package is the best way to play. Any changes except the removal of the chilling original title screen are not that big IIRC.

Whichever works for you is fine honestly. The Trilogy is missing the badass title screens and I still prefer the GC controller over the Wiimote for the first two games, but if you can get the trilogy for cheap and it's easy, go for it!

Crayolan

Trilogy. Wiimote pointer controls are are great.

I think the only changes are lack of a small graphical detail on Samus's arm cannon and not being able to access each game's individual title screen.

kromeo

I hate motion controls most of the time but they worked really well for these. Whatever changes there were beyond that I never noticed them

I prefer Trilogy.

Played the first on GameCube and second on Wii and I greatly prefer the controls.

Free aim is great and switching between visors and weapons is super smooth. Also moving the Wiimote up to jump in addition to regular bomb jumps felt really responsive.

A lot of people had issues with the difficulty in the original Metroid Prime 2 and just hit a wall with certain bosses. Trilogy rebalances certain things and also offers a lower difficulty option.

Also they fix up some graphics and offered 16:9 and 4:3.

TannerDemoz

Trilogy.

Stick with the motion controls. They take a bit of getting used to at first, but after an hour it feels incredible.

You're in for a wild ride btw. I'm currently playing through it atm and it's fantastic.

While the motion controls might turn off some people, the Trilogy is easily the definitive edition. And the motion controls aren't even bad, they're infact pretty smooth imo

You'll also have to use them at some point anyway with Corruption (the best prime game) so you might as well start from the beginning.

Edit: Also while you're at it: If you get Trilogy, make sure to watch Youtube videos of each games title screens (They're fucking epic).

El Sabroso

trilogy for the controls

Personally I found the HD trilogy to be the best edition with the controls

nick-young-confused-face.jpg

Peltz

How is it that people can get used to motion controls on MP but not LoZ:Skyward Sword?"
I think it's the fact that pointer based controls are more intuitive for some people than the gyro based swinging controls.

It's closer to a classic mouse and keyboard.

killatopak

Gold Member
Played on the Wii and it's pretty great except for the first time when you're still kinda feeling up the controls.

Hedgey

Once you master the Gamecube controls, it's such a great feeling. The games aren't that expensive to track down, and if you've got a Wii you get that sweet, sweet progressive scan too.
Just my (unpopular) opinion. I love the gamecube controller, not so much the Wiimote. I can't play shooters with motion controls. It was much better implemented in Prime 3, but I also think that's the worst game in the series.

Simbabbad

The Wii Metroid Prime Trilogy played on Wii U is the best way to experience the games, by far. Echoes in particular is MUCH better with Wii controls. The first Metroid Prime is arguably maybe better played on GameCube with a GameCube controller because of a handful of effects missing and the controls being a good fit (and opening titles), but it's minor.

yllekz

Banned
How is it that people can get used to motion controls on MP but not LoZ:Skyward Sword?"

They are entirely different.

MPT uses IR pointer based controls.

SS uses the much more inaccurate Motion+ gyrosensors for pointing (really terrible), and its updated internal 3D motion tech for the swordplay (which also isn't that great).

There's no reason not to play the Trilogy versions, unless you really hate motion controls, but there's no MP3 without them, so eventually you'd need to get used to them.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I prefer trilogy, the motion controls are good, but also it's much crisper since you don't have to pay $300 for a component cable.

Pejo

How's the mouse controls on Dolphin for the Trilogy? This is one of those series I never played, but it always interested me. I absolute despise waggle controls, but I know Dolphin is pretty flexible with letting you use alt control schemes.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Rarely did people complain about aiming your bow or hookshot in SS...it was the other motion control gimmicks, which MP lacked, that were the cause of mass frustration.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How's the mouse controls on Dolphin for the Trilogy? This is one of those series I never played, but it always interested me. I absolute despise waggle controls, but I know Dolphin is pretty flexible with letting you use alt control schemes.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 have literally no "waggle." They just have pointer controls. Prime 3 has some gesture control that's kind of annoying.

Never played the trilogy version on Dolphin though so I can't speak for that.

And in general, the original versions of Prime 1 and 2 aren't getting enough love in this thread. I'd recommend those solely because they are (last I checked) very cheap despite GC games getting costly. Prime 1 was like $5 and Prime 2 was maybe $10. Trilogy goes for a lot more than that unless you have a Wii U.

I'm playing Prime 1 for the first time on Dolphin (GCN) version with the widescreen hack and widescreen HUD. It looks fucking great, but the controls are kind of weird. Maybe the Wii version would be better, with the pointer mapped to the right trackpad on the Steam controller.

I very much prefer the GCN versions, if only because I find myself liking the slightly slower pace afforded by the controls. Some of the button mapping in Trilogy also makes me a wee bit grumpy.

MPT is probably the better option overall, though, and it's more easily available.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The Metroid Prime Trilogy is definitely the way to go. The Wii Remote & Nunchuck makes the game immensely more enjoyable.

Easily purchasable for a great price right on the eShop as well.

Of all the HD remasters being made, the first 2 Metroid Prime games need them the most. Update the textures, put the arm cannon effects back in, and slap "HD" on it.

Top Bottom