• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Oh that. I forgot about it, I think because it's pretty inconsequential to how it played.

Yeah, its not the biggest issue in this game for sure, but still pretty annoying.

Anyways, im still trying to beat this sucker, fourth time im going through all the stages now, and I finally beat what i thought was the last boss - only to instantly die on the real last boss.

Anyways, while the game is annoying on a lot of levels, i think the absolute most annoying thing is the increasing costs of lives. Makes it impossible to earn even one life during a playthrough of the last level after a while :(

Morfeo

HELL YEAH
shGGVse.jpg

HpaqSE3.jpg

Glad i was finally able to complete it. The last boss wasnt so hard if you were lucky with the item drops, and on my sixth and final attempt, I was crazy lucky with getting 5+ energy refills, which made the fight a pretty simple grind. All in all, not a terrible game, but a terribly frustrating one.

Btw, there is something wrong with the scrolling in Conquest, right?
No, that's pretty normal for NES games that have scrolling on both axes. They set the game to stack its two nametables vertically, so it wraps around on the horizontal axis - hence, you can see a bit of the leftmost tile on the far right of the screen until the game updates it. Some games instead opt to place the two nametables horizontally, so you see similar artifacting when you scroll vertically instead.

Super Mario Bros. 3 has this same issue.

b3b0p

Started binge watching this last night after listening to the latest Retronauts.

The show is not bad at all. It's actually good. At least I think so. I remember trying to catch it when it was on as a kid, but it seemed to only be on sporadically.

I miss GamePro much. That epic Chester Cheetah issue... The glory days... I might still have it. Asking my parents to bring down my magazines when they visit if they still have them.

shanafan

Picked up two NES games today, one I have been hunting for awhile. Finally got Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, and also picked up Bart vs. the Space Mutants.

The other day, I picked up a copy of Lupin the 3rd(based on the classic anime) for the Famicom. Surprisingly, this game is pretty good! Most games based on anime are pretty terrible, but this is one of the exceptions. It makes sense since it's a Namco-developed game, and like many Namco releases of that time it came in one of those nifty plastic clamshell cases. Nicee.

The game plays a lot like Rolling Thunder, another awesome game developed by Namco, but a lot more fast-paced and with more secrets. It's really challenging like many NES games are, but with a little bit of patience it becomes very playable. It's also a bit like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in that you can switch between different characters, all with different strengths and weaknesses. And like in TMNT, after you lose a life you have the ability to rescue your partners by searching each of the stages for rooms where they are being held captive. There's also a lot of items that you must collect scattered throughout the stages. You can pick up bombs that can be used to demolish suspicious-looking walls to uncover hidden secrets, Zelda-style. You can also find balloons that can save you from falling into pits, goggles that can be used to detect infrared lasers that activate falling traps, or bullet proof vests that can protect you from taking damage. And many others. For a game as old as it is, there's a lot to it.

The music is really nice as well, it gives off a very calming, almost nostalgic vibe.

It's a really nice game and not too expensive. If you're in the mood for a challenging action game with a good mix of platforming and run'n gun style action, I give it a hearty recommendation.

b3b0p

I remember it being pretty hard, especially in two players. I also had some troubles when I beat the sequel some months ago.

No, but you have to practice, practice, and practice some more to get your timing down just right like almost all NES platformer games. It's fun and rewarding though.

OnPoint

And with the polls closed, we selected:

c9ENLuJ.png

pRZ8GDd.png

I recommend getting them NOW as it seems to be experiencing something of a spike over the last couple months, going from sub-$10 prices to greater-than-$20 prices.

Hey, can't go wrong with a Compile shmup. For anyone that winds up especially enjoying it, IIRC, Compile's Gun-Nac on a NES a few years later was supposed to be a spiritual sequel of their ideas from both the TG-16's Blazing Lasers (the original Japanese version was based on the movie Gunhed) and Zanac. Gun, 'Nac.

Hey, can't go wrong with a Compile shmup. For anyone that winds up especially enjoying it, IIRC, Compile's Gun-Nac on a NES a few years later was supposed to be a spiritual sequel of their ideas from both the TG-16's Blazing Lasers (the original Japanese version was based on the movie Gunhed) and Zanac. Gun, 'Nac.
I never picked up on that naming convention. That's pretty neat.

Morfeo

Cool game for next month, glad I also own it so should be able to participate again. Hopefully its less frustrating than the game of this month :)

Cogwheels

Neo Member
I finally got around to playing Jackal for the first time last night, what a great game. Im surprised it's not talked about more, especially as the price is still low.

OnPoint

Jackal was on one of the lists a while back -- it's totally up for nomination if you guys want to suggest it after I open the voting ;) I actually might ensure it gets on by nominating it myself.

IrishNinja

Mzo

In vaguely related news, I got a great deal on Vs. Excitebike and it's AMAZING to my little boy brain. I played the shit out of Excitebike when I was a kid, and seeing all these enhancements, especially the truck jumping mini-game, is seriously astounding.

Also, watching videos of Excitebike where people keep landing on their back wheels on flat ground drives me crazy. There's not a lot to the fucking game, and they're not doing the one thing you do.

MLIG has a nice, short video about the 8Bitdo wireless NES receiver. I think this is a great idea but I just can't do an NES controller with four diamond buttons. Need the real thing. I also sit pretty close to my setup. However, I would really consider getting a SNES wireless receiver as those controller look to be near exact replicas and have gotten rave reviews here on GAF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8QQApEHpOg

In vaguely related news, I got a great deal on Vs. Excitebike and it's AMAZING to my little boy brain. I played the shit out of Excitebike when I was a kid, and seeing all these enhancements, especially the truck jumping mini-game, is seriously astounding.

Also, watching videos of Excitebike where people keep landing on their back wheels on flat ground drives me crazy. There's not a lot to the fucking game, and they're not doing the one thing you do.

I think I was watching this one on eBay. If it's the one I was following, then yes you got a nice deal! I would love to buy more FDS games but my drive just won't quite work properly. Does anyone here think it would be worth just trying to buy another one? It's got a new belt (supposedly) but I think the drive head is a little off. The process for fixing it looks ... complicated. :(

alf717

NES HDMI kits go on sale Sunday July 3rd at 6PM eastern. Price is pretty fair $120-$135 depending on what options you choose for the kit and looks like $50 is the average install cost if you don't have the means to install one yourself.

shanafan

Buddy and I played Base Wars tonight. I remember seeing images for it, but playing the game was a lot of fun. It is a baseball game, but there is a twist where if the runner is met with the defense, instead of tagging the player for the out, a one-on-one battle ensures and you fight to take all of your opponent's health. The health can regen, so there can be some strategy included. Bottom line - awesome game!

basewars01.jpg

Top Bottom