• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 6/24/2016: E3 2016: WE KEPT COMING

PDUL9hV.png

8-4 Play 6/24/2016: E3 2016: WE KEPT COMING
Zelda! Resident Evil 7! Sony! Microsoft! E3! BitSummit! Indie MEGABOOTH! Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden?!

Running Time: 2:06:20

・ Direct Download (75.8MB)
・ Subscribe to 8-4 Play via iTunes
・ Subscribe to 8-4 Play via RSS Feed
・ Follow 8-4 Play on Twitter (twitter.com/84play)
・ Follow 8-4 on Facebook (facebook.com/hachinoyon)

Time – Topic Discussed:

14:50 – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
30:39 – Resident Evil 7
42:18 – Sony Press Conference
51:21 – Microsoft Press Conference
58:28 – Misc E3 News
1:04:52 – E3 Top Picks
1:10:56 – Indie MEGABOOTH, Bitsummit, Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden
1:58:07 – Closing Comments

As much as I usually find the 'any platformer that isn't Mario' bashing a tad irritating on this podcast (Banjo, Ratchet etc are teerrrrrible!) I don't understand the clamouring for more Crash Bandicoot either. Don't get me wrong, I played all of them at the time and mostly enjoyed them, thought they were relatively decent games for the time. In 2016 though? Doesn't make sense to me. Feels like something you'd play for a 5 minute nostalgia hit then never touch again.

ReaperXL7

As much as I usually find the 'any platformer that isn't Mario' bashing a tad irritating on this podcast (Banjo, Ratchet etc are teerrrrrible!) I don't understand the clamouring for more Crash Bandicoot either. Don't get me wrong, I played all of them at the time and mostly enjoyed them, thought they were relatively decent games for the time. In 2016 though? Doesn't make sense to me. Feels like something you'd play for a 5 minute nostalgia hit then never touch again.

It's pure nostalgia as far as I can tell, I enjoyed them for their time but they haven't aged well overall. I also think it's delusional that anyone really believes Naughty Dog would be the ones to make a new one since it's clear they have moved on from that style of game and Sony doesn't force their studios to make specific games.

SNURB

It's pure nostalgia as far as I can tell, I enjoyed them for their time but they haven't aged well overall. I also think it's delusional that anyone really believes Naughty Dog would be the ones to make a new one since it's clear they have moved on from that style of game and Sony doesn't force their studios to make specific games.

I don't understand this mentality that the Crash games haven't aged well. Crash 1 is rough around the edges with its awful save system and difficulty but the sequels improved on everything and are still great to play today.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

The first three Sonics are great. It's just that Sony doesn't make good platformers.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Is it just me or did you not actually discuss Barkley 2 in any detail? I'm sure that everyone who listens to the podcast already knows what it is (especially due to it being in development for the last thirty years!) but I can imagine people with no familiarity with the game listening to the interview and still having no idea what the game is even supposed to be.

Someone made a comment about the doujin scene and the doujin/indie dichotomy that rang true to a lot of the stuff I've been hearing from Japanese guys about this year's Bitsummit--to put it simply, some people are complaining it's turned into a hangout for western indies to "talk down to" Japanese people about how to conduct themselves, or for old guys to play at being hip (I saw a lot of derision about Sakaguchi being a speaker, for example), or that it's simply too commercial and that there's not a lot of room for traditional doujin games there anymore.

EDIT: oh yeah, holy shit did I not expect that Notch comment

Gitaroo

I don't understand this mentality that the Crash games haven't aged well. Crash 1 is rough around the edges with its awful save system and difficulty but the sequels improved on everything and are still great to play today.

yup, just played crash 3 recently, just as fun as mario 3d world to me.

The first three Sonics are great. It's just that Sony doesn't make good platformers.

Jak 1 and Sly 1 were some of the best platformers of the generation. Just a shame that nothing for PS3 beside LBP, which I enjoy but not as good as I hope. Sly 4 kind of lost some of the magic after sly 1.

Harlock

You guys are crossing the line with the Notch hate. That you don´t agree with him is very clear, but just name calling out of nothing in the middle of podcast is a douche thing.

urfe

Wow, that Notch comment was out of left field.

I know non-North Americans use the C word basically as a greeting, but it is still shocking to me when I fellow North American uses it.

Glad everyone moved on from it quickly.

---

To not make an only negative comment, the E3 talk was great times.

pgharavi

Banned
Anyone know what the post-episode music was? Not the Michael Jackson remix, the one before...I think it had bagpipes.

Thanks!

EDIT: it starts at 2:00:35

urfe

I'm getting into the indie talk now, and it reminds of RPGmaker 95 back in 1999 and 2000, and the hobby communities that game up, the lack of finished games, and a disdain to games being tried to be sold commercially.

I think Corpse Bride was originally made with RPG Maker 98, which was interesting to find out.

Faustek

So was it JJs wife that bought the land? Or are you renting* the plot? Pretty sure it's basically impossible to buy land in Japan if you dont have several native Japanese relatives living there. Even if yoy are adopted that is. Had this problem with friends trying to build their own homes there.

As for not liking Crash. You people aren't European the least I hear. Imagine a part of the continent where Nintendo was just so so. Some countries still hadn't seen a official Nintendo release, or paying €100per cartridge if you had, but in comes Sony and pushes away all the home grown soft, they are cool, cheaper, heavyweight, electronic and have this kickass mascot that is just bonkers. Of course people fell for him. Barring 64 and Galaxy I'll always take Crash 2 over Mario.

*Don't remember the correct term for renting land in English.

Faustek

ooh, liked the indie talks at the end.
But I need to know.

A few years back a few Japanese devs really didn't like the expaths going to Bitsummit. The noise was low and I never took it seriously. This year we hear it again though and this time the noise is louder on how western devs goes there and lords it over the Japanese devs and looks down on them.
Anyone actually have any experience with that? Of course I expect that within any group there is a number of dicks but this sounds a bit to loud to just be a few choice assholes being well assholes.

Camwi

Completely with you on the Crash thing. I've never understood the obsession with that mediocre franchise.

wrowa

You can take direct screenshots on WiiU by hitting the home button and navigating to a image hosting site through the web browser. Is that feature disabled in #FE?

Time it takes to make a photo and post it: 5 seconds.

Time it takes to open the Wii U browser, log in to some upload site, upload the picture, log in on your PC/phone, get the link, post the link: Way too fucking long.

SPCTRE

Time it takes to make a photo and post it: 5 seconds.

Time it takes to open the Wii U browser, log in to some upload site, upload the picture, log in on your PC/phone, get the link, post the link: Way too fucking long.
exactly

Top Bottom