• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

I have 5.0 installed but I don't understand:

1) In my Twilight Princess I set it to 1080p but everything is stretched out, like everything is wide, because I have forced it to 16:9 - how do I fix this? I thought I could do 16:9 but crop off the sides so it would look normal?

2) In Super Mario Sunshine, cutscenes still look pixelated and the sound is lagging horribly. How do I fix this?

ditto.

1) In my Twilight Princess I set it to 1080p but everything is stretched out, like everything is wide, because I have forced it to 16:9 - how do I fix this? I thought I could do 16:9 but crop off the sides so it would look normal?

2) In Super Mario Sunshine, cutscenes still look pixelated and the sound is lagging horribly. How do I fix this?

1) Which version of Twilight Princess? The Gamecube version was 4:3.

2) The cutscenes are prerendered video. That's just what upscaled video looks like.

shockdude

Keep the aspect ratio set to Auto. Even with widescreen hacks, Dolphin will correctly set the aspect ratio for you.

DonMigs85

Keep the aspect ratio set to Auto. Even with widescreen hacks, Dolphin will correctly set the aspect ratio for you.

Super Monkey Ball 2 still keeps switching randomly between 4:3 and 16:9. No other widescreen-enabled game I've tested does this, like F-Zero GX or Star Fox Adventures.

TriAceJP

Anyone tried the more intense games like The Last Story, The Conduit, and a few others?

I played a bit of The Last Story on my GTX 970/3rd gen i5.

Running at 1440p/dx12 with no AA, I had a solid frame rate with the occasional stutter if someone used magic or jumped over something. I didn't play with any settings but it was perfectly playable.

vaderise

So what's the best emulation config to run Mario Galaxy 2 on 1080p
I have a HD7870 with FX6300 and emulation is too slow. What should i do?

DekuLink

Have you switched on the widescreen hack?
pb5LrA5.png

Cutscenes will always look pixelated in SMS because they are pre-rendered and quite heavily compressed. Don't know about the sound though.

Does anyone have problems with Metroid Prime Trilogy? It just stays stuck on the Now Loading... screen after the health and safety information about the Wiimote.

Afro

X-post.

Is there a list of Wii games that will play exclusively w/ a gamepad? No nunchuck needed for Mario Galaxy, for example?

ReBirFh

i was about to sell my wiimote plus for lack of use since I bought the Wii U but I decided that it would be better to buy the Dolphin bar and keep enjoying the wii games in the future.

shockdude

I'm getting a little bit of input lag when playing project m and using my xbox one elite controller... anything I can do to fix this?
Make sure you are using exclusive fullscreen, not borderless fullscreen.
Turn off VSync. If that's not acceptible, enable VSync and use Rivatuner to force a 60FPS limit.

Pachimari

1) Which version of Twilight Princess? The Gamecube version was 4:3.

2) The cutscenes are prerendered video. That's just what upscaled video looks like.
1) It's the Gamecube version. Oh well.
2) Oh well, that's the name of the game I guess.

I'll set it to auto going forward.

Have you switched on the widescreen hack?
pb5LrA5.png

Cutscenes will always look pixelated in SMS because they are pre-rendered and quite heavily compressed. Don't know about the sound though.
Yes, I have widescreen hack on.

Thanks for all the answers guys. I'll play around with it.

Okay, this is just amazing. I tried to run the Tomoya Twilight Princess HD project on my laptop. It runs nearly flawlessly and it looks truly amazing. I made a comparison:

g8imlaah.png

dajqokn8.png

Truly amazing what these guys (and the dolphin emulator) are pulling off, especially considering this is running full speed on my laptop (i5 4210U, GTX 850m). I think it looks also better than the official remaster. What do you think?

As a huge TP fan, my heart is pumping to the next level seeing how amazing TP can look in the dolphin emulator.

Mohasus

The guy totally annihilated the atmosphere of twilight princess.
And not only the HUD is hideous, it is also stretched.

Have they fixed the bloom issues when increasing the internal resolution? That ghosting was awful, I just gave up on the game (I finished it on the original hardware before and played half of HD remaster).

Truly amazing what these guys (and the dolphin emulator) are pulling off, especially considering this is running full speed on my laptop (i5 4210U, GTX 850m). I think it looks also better than the official remaster. What do you think?

As a huge TP fan, my heart is pumping to the next level seeing how amazing TP can look in the dolphin emulator.

You can at least make the original Gamecube shot the same internal resolution and aspect ratio as the other picture for a more comparison.

As for the texture pack itself, I can give credit to them putting some effort into the texture pack, but I would be lying if I said it looks better than Nintendo's own remaster on the Wii U, or even the original Gamecube version in all its muddy component signal glory on an LCD TV back in 2006.

pirata

Man, I'm not getting Dolphin 5.0 to run. Every time I try to start it, it says "The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer." The internet seems to indicate that it's because I'm missing the latest version of c++ redistributable, but when I try to install that from Microsoft, it says that I have a previous version installed and that I need to uninstall it. But looking at my add/remove programs, I have over a dozen different versions of it, and Microsoft's website says not to remove any of them! Am I just hosed? What should I do?

i finally got into dolphin this weekend and ordered a dolphin sensor bar. Xenoblade looks great and it's really easy to set up. I wish N64 emulation was this easy.

So, I have an Xbox One Adapter for Windows to use it wirelessly, and I've got my Rock Band 4 controller hooked up to my PC, but I don't know how to get Dolphin to recognize my Adapter/controllers synced through the adapter as an actual controller. Anyone have any advice for me?

DonMigs85

It's incorrect. Widescreen hack doesn't activate unless you select Force 16:9.

The only thing Auto actively accounts for is if there's an ingame aspect ratio option.
I tried to report this to them in their forums, but it's very erratic with Super Monkey Ball 2. Keeps switching back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9. It behaves in other widescreen-supporting games like F-Zero GX and Star Fox Adventures.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Okay, this is just amazing. I tried to run the Tomoya Twilight Princess HD project on my laptop. It runs nearly flawlessly and it looks truly amazing. I made a comparison:

g8imlaah.png

dajqokn8.png

Wait, someone made TP not look like a dull mess? The palette in the second shot screams Ocarina of Time and it's making the game look so much better.

TriAceJP

Man, I'm not getting Dolphin 5.0 to run. Every time I try to start it, it says "The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer." The internet seems to indicate that it's because I'm missing the latest version of c++ redistributable, but when I try to install that from Microsoft, it says that I have a previous version installed and that I need to uninstall it. But looking at my add/remove programs, I have over a dozen different versions of it, and Microsoft's website says not to remove any of them! Am I just hosed? What should I do?

Try to install both the x86 and x64 versions.

Burny

I finally managed to play some games on Dolphin a bit over the weekend. Without any overclocking etc. the results were pretty good aside from the occasional stutter in some scenes and games (Intel Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB Ram, GTX 970). The people behind this emulator are doing a terrific job!

This will be how I finally play the Last Story, after I bought it when it launched in the west, but never touched it. The two or three games remaining from my Wii backlog I will also play through dolphin (Zack & Wiki). Pikmin 2 (the Wii port) unfortunately slows down to a crawl during cutscenes, while the controllable sections run well. Not sure if I will ever play Little King's Story again, but I was a bit shocked to find that the PAL version runs at 25fps while the NTSC version does 30. >.<

Anyway, those games that work well are such a revelation when rendered in HD.

Now, onto the controller configuration. Sorry if it's been asked before, but does anybody have experience emulating a Wii Remote + Nunchchuck with the Steam Controller? I imagine the pointer should be emulated pretty well using the SC's trackpad? Or maybe even better, with the SC's gyro? Using the trackpad for pointer emulation would proabably prevent me from creating a mapping that lets me simultanously use the D-pad effectively, as on the Wiimote + Nunchuck Combo. The other option would be a Dolphin Bar from Mayflash. Has anybody experience with that?

PaulBizkit

That's EXACTLY my situation. I can't get dolphin to run now. Have you tried reinstalling both libraries? (x86 and x64)

PGamer

fucking juniors
I should probably install this. I didn't know there was a GC/Wii emulator.

I have GC games and a GC but no GC controller. I can't play anything. :(

And no they don't sell GC controller or GC at all in my country. My GC was given to me by my cousin. They sent it to me from another country. It didn't come with the power cords nor the controller. Just the unit itself and some games.

Anything I should know beforehand? How do I RIP the games?

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Ripping_Games

A PC disk drive won't read those GC disks.

Some select PC DVD drives are in fact capable of ripping GameCube games. It's usually easier just to use a Wii though.

So how good a PC do you need to run this? I only have onboard graphics but a recent I5 processor and I seen on the official forums people saying that this was sufficient.

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/

The video mentions you can use Wiimote plus on Win 8/10 without a bluetooth bar, how do I do that?

No you still need Bluetooth. On Windows 8.1 and 10 you can use the default Windows Bluetooth without having to install the Toshiba Bluetooth stack now.

X-post.

Is there a list of Wii games that will play exclusively w/ a gamepad? No nunchuck needed for Mario Galaxy, for example?

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Category:Classic_Controller_(Input_supported)
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Category:GameCube_Controller_(Input_supported)

Burny

Lesson learned after about half an hour fiddling with the Steam controller and dolphin: If only dolphin didn't force you to chose between m+k or a gamepad for emulating the wii's controllers, but allowed multiple input devices to be mapped simultanously, it would be perfect.

As it stands, there is no way of mapping the analogue stick as such and the gyro as mouse for emulating the pointer. If only... :(

shockdude

Lesson learned after about half an hour fiddling with the Steam controller and dolphin: If only dolphin didn't force you to chose between m+k or a gamepad for emulating the wii's controllers, but allowed multiple input devices to be mapped simultanously, it would be perfect.

As it stands, there is no way of mapping the analogue stick as such and the gyro as mouse for emulating the pointer. If only... :(
Fortunately there is a way. Right click the button/axis you want to map to open a window with advanced mapping options. One of those options is to select a different input device.

Nerrel

dajqokn8.png

What do you think?

It's really gaudy and incoherent. They haven't respected the original art style at all, and they haven't even replaced it with one that works well. I fully support the idea of a mod for this game, because TPHD was a huge disappointment, but this just doesn't look good. The mod has gotten this criticism from a lot of people and for a very long time, but Tomoya and his team don't seem to be listening.

I do think the mod looks pretty great in specific areas. There are times when it really does look like the HD remaster Nintendo should have done. But more often than not it's way off base.

RE4's HD mod is the ultimate example of what fan projects should strive for. Recreating the game with the same artistic intent, as if it had been HD all along.

Nabs

This may not help anyone, but I figure there might be a person out there having the same problem. Last night I upgraded to 5.0 and had trouble getting the Steam Overlay to work (needed for Steam Controller and Link). I'm still not sure what the problem was, but the solution was to just use a new dev build. I'm guessing there's some problem with where it installs or something.

I'm currently playing Prime 1 (Trilogy) and the Ishiiruka build works so well. I definitely recommend giving it a shot if you're trying to play it.

I've been playing Prime all weekend, and it's still as amazing as I remembered it. The pacing is so tight, I just can't put it down. Prime controls nicely with the Steam Controller set to Mouse Region. I recommend checking that out if you have one.

Burny

Fortunately there is a way. Right click the button/axis you want to map to open a window with advanced mapping options. One of those options is to select a different input device.

Thanks so much! :)

Will try this tonight. If this works the way I imagine it should, the Steam Controller will probably make for the ideal Wiimote pointer emulation outside of the real thing.

It saddens me that proper console pointer control died with the Wii and gyro aiming is used in far too few systems and games. :p

so Ishiiruka or 5.0 ?

haven't used ether yet but went over the blog post

what are some of the cool things you guys have noticed also to upgrade from a 960 to something else or to not upgrade ?

Burny

Thanks again for the tip, @shockdude!

Configuring the Steam controller and Dolphin took longer than I care to admit, as selecting inputs from a different device than the main one in dolphin is a fiddly pain, especially if the Steam Controller simultanously overwrites your mouse and what not. :p But now the Steam Controller is basically the perfect way to play Wiimote+Nunchuck games that require pointer controls.

Sanic

Started Star Fox Adventures (up to Thorn Tail Hollow) and i'm having pretty significant stuttering issues. Running 3x native on a 660ti paired with a 6600k. Is this another game that's highly susceptible to shader compilation issues? There's nothing on the wiki, and i'm not seeing many others online with similar issues. Just roaming around, i'll get significant stuttering every few seconds. Some of the cut scenes in Krazoa palace also performed poorly.

Top Bottom