• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akihiro Hino shows art from a new Layton game (not Layton 7, Layton not the mc)

kulapik

So, Hino had a livestream earlier today/late yesterday, and besides confirming that we'll indeed see a new Inazuma Eleven at L5 Vision (happening July 27th), he also announced we'll see a new Layton and showed some concept art.

Cltsg7ZWkAARu5l.jpg

CltshouWYAASs6h.jpg

CltsiEkWYAEAmap.jpg

Cltsi_sWYAAfr38.jpg

CltsoWrWYAA04xs.jpg

Cltsoo1WgAEEQal.jpg

CltspA7WAAElpyA.jpg

CltspZWWYAAWceg.jpg

He has also said that it's not going to be a game like Layton 7, but a Layton game with the classic gameplay of the series. Also, the titular Professor Layton will not be the main character. Nothing else has been disclosed.

Livestream is here (in japanese, of course): http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv266584341

Rymuth

Exciting times. I love the series and I'm glad we're going back to the classic formula as opposed to the mafia-style Layton7.

wrowa

Nice. I actually wondered a while ago if they would revive the Layton series in the near future, since it seems enough time has passed to overcome the fatigue.

I wonder if it'll be smartphones (only) or also on 3DS (or NX depending on when this is supposed to come out).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Inazuma reboot, Layton reboot...im not complaining.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wonder if this is targeted for 2017 as well (before an inevitable delay) as he said it's a year of "many new beginnings".

I wonder if they would do the 3ds > mobile route, like Capcom is doing with the main Ace Attorney games.
Carefully optimistic, but I hope it will be better than the last 2 layton games on the 3ds

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Probably mobile only

I hope not. Layton 7 is already on mobile only, and I dont mind.
Games borned on ds or 3ds able to find such a huge success hopefully will see proper episodes on dedicated consoles again, with mobile sode projects.

As YW.

Or with a multi release as the Snack world

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Layton could easily be NX/Mobile. They won't be announcing An NX version any time soon though.

It will presumably have some kind of mobile component:

After releasing their smartphone app Yo-kai Watch PuniPuni [Wibble Wobble in the West], Hino and the company has been astounded by its success. Level-5 will focus more on smartphone compatibility, and Hino even goes on to mention that he hopes to see all future titles from the company be compatible with smartphone, meaning he wants all future console titles have a way to be played via smartphone. Hino expects to have some kind of rule on how these console games will be carried onto smartphone, but he has realized that kids today are starting to play games on smartphone and felt a change in generation when looking back not so long ago when all the boys in first grade would only talk about the Nintendo 3DS. He feels that smartphone presence in the industry will only continue to grow.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2016/06/1...6-plenty-new-starts-2017/#O80bfJbBFf3k4FC3.99

That said it seems like a shoe-in for a dedicated version as well since even if it was an episodic game, that would easily be sellable as a bundle.

Kalor

I'd be up for a new Layton game as it's been long enough. The yearly releases meant I felt a bit burnt out by the time Azran Legacy came out.

I was thought it would be a good idea to bring Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven back from the dead, but not on the 3DS... c'mon, let it die.

This is going to backfire on him.

Kneefoil

Honestly, I'm still feeling kind of burnt out on Professor Layton even though there haven't been new main games in the last couple of years - maybe because I got into the series a bit late. I also didn't like the second trilogy nearly as much as the first one, and every game in the prequel trilogy felt inferior to the previous one, so it's kind of hard for me to muster up excitement for new games in the series. Haven't played PLvPW:AA yet either.

Maybe new characters will spice thing up though. I will probably still pick this up either way, but likely not at release.

L~A

Wonder if this is targeted for 2017 as well (before an inevitable delay) as he said it's a year of "many new beginnings".

Well given the usual delay between first announcement/reveal and release for Level-5 titles, I'd be extremely surprised if this was a 2016 release (even without his comments on 2017 being a year of many beginnings).

javadoze

I forgive you, Hino.

Though I'll probably miss Layton, I'm curious to see how they're going to spice up the series this time around (and if we're going to get an anime or at least another movie this time).

MrBadger

Starring a young upstart called Apuzzzle Justice

Professor Layton is in the game, but he lost his puzzle license after being caught looking at a walkthrough. So he just shows up as a mentor figure but ends up solving all the puzzles for you

Kidding aside this is exciting news. I really enjoyed the Layton games and was sad to see them go. Excited for more ridiculous plot twists

Top Bottom