• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm looking for a new GPU to hold me off until i build a new PC. not sure when but probably not for at least another year or 2. i'm only playing at 1080p 60fps. sometimes i like to downscale games from 1440p if i can. right now i have an R9 290 but it has been struggling to manage 1080p 60fps without turning settings way down in games like the witcher 3/doom/division. plus it uses a lot of power and can hit 95C at times.

i was looking at the GTX 1070 but that just seems extremely overkill for 1080p gaming so i started looking at the 980 ti which is now within my budget. i only have an i5-4590 CPU so i am worried that it won't be able to keep up with the 980 ti or should it really not matter if i'm only playing at 1080p 60hz? the other option for me would be to wait and see what the RX 480 offers. i've seen a lot of people mention it might be about the same level of performance as an 980 and it should be about £100-150 cheaper than the 980 Ti.

RX 480 is out in 4 days, many stores have apparently gotten shipments in and they seem to have anticipated high demand, so there should be enough cards for everyone at or around MSRP.

I'd say wait, unless you can find a killer deal on a 980.

thenexus6

So I built my first computer in April (i3 6100, GTX 950).

I planned on still using my PS4 for the AAA games because I still like console gaming more. I wanted to play some PC only and older titles on my computer.

However with the Xbox play anywhere thing I would really like to play Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4 on PC.

So I need upgrades. I tried Forza Apex on PC and it runs okay on my system. Medium, 1080p with minor stuttering. So I guess I need to get a new CPU and GPU to be in a comfortable position later when the games come out.

I am thinking of going for the RX480 when reviews hit because of low price, but what CPU? I was thinking maybe i5 between £150-200. Any suggestions? Or would I be okay keeping the i3? I don't want to bottle neck my computer.

So I built my first computer in April (i3 6100, GTX 950).

I planned on still using my PS4 for the AAA games because I still like console gaming more. I wanted to play some PC only and older titles on my computer.

However with the Xbox play anywhere thing I would really like to play Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4 on PC.

So I need upgrades. I tried Forza Apex on PC and it runs okay on my system. Medium, 1080p with minor stuttering. So I guess I need to get a new CPU and GPU to be in a comfortable position later when the games come out.

I am thinking of going for the RX480 when reviews hit because of low price, but what CPU? I was thinking maybe i5 between £150-200. Any suggestions? Or would I be okay keeping the i3? I don't want to bottle neck my computer.

i3 should be ok for now, if you upgrade to an i5 I'd really suggest the 6500 or 6500k. Upgrading from a 950 to an RX480 should honestly be the game-changer here.

thenexus6

i3 should be ok for now, if you upgrade to an i5 I'd really suggest the 6500 or 6500k. Upgrading from a 950 to an RX480 should honestly be the game-changer here.

The 6500 is what I was thinking of, and both are in the sub £200 price range. Maybe i3 and 480 will be the way to go for now. The 950 cost me £130 so maybe if I could get close to £90 or 100 that'll good towards the 480.

Poketune

Hey just a quick question for anyone who might know. Is ASRock a reliable brand to get a motherboard from? I'd like to save money where I can but I'm not sure how good the quality of their boards and BIOS is. If anyone could fill me in, it'd be much appreciated. Thank you.

LogicStep

Hey just a quick question for anyone who might know. Is ASRock a reliable brand to get a motherboard from? I'd like to save money where I can but I'm not sure how good the quality of their boards and BIOS is. If anyone could fill me in, it'd be much appreciated. Thank you.
From what I could see from reviews they seem like a good product. I ordered a fatality version of one of their gaming boards. Haven't had a chance to put it together yet so I can't speak for myself on it.

kuYuri

I've heard they are not as quality as other brands like MSI, Asus, or Gigabyte, but if you are really on a budget, they are fine.

wilflare

how are the H80 coolers? been thinking of getting that or a Hyper 212
would prefer a quiet performer... to replace the stock cooler on my i5 4570

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU. I have a 560ti currently that I have had for a few years. I only have a 1080p monitor so I'm not worried about 4K. whats the best bang for my buck?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
how are the H80 coolers? been thinking of getting that or a Hyper 212
would prefer a quiet performer... to replace the stock cooler on my i5 4570

I have the H110 and replaced the stock fans with Noctua NF-A14 PWMs. It's been great -- both in terms of noise and performance. NF-S12As are a thing if you need to stick with the H80 for size reasons, and in fact they push slightly more air than the A14s despite being both smaller and quieter, but they are about USD$20 each.

Has anyone had any luck using the automatic mode of Precision XOC's OC Scanner? I just got my 1070 and the RUN button that I should be able to use is grayed out.

Momentary

Banned
Another piece came in today ladies and gents. Slowly but surely. Slowly getting ready for that new Ti/Titan. Also got and IFIXIT tool kit. Heard mixed things about them, but after opening up the toolset and checking everything out, I'm super damn impressed with it's portability and quality.

20160625_104834_zpsuhw9xpuu.jpg

Keihart

So uhm...i read that the next gen CPUs are probably comming next year? is anything known about them? I'm gonna make a completly new build so i'm wondering if waiting for the new CPUs next year would be a wiser choice.

So uhm...i read that the next gen CPUs are probably comming next year? is anything known about them? I'm gonna make a completly new build so i'm wondering if waiting for the new CPUs next year would be a wiser choice.

Now is a great time to build a PC. Kaby Lake is at least 6 months out and it's expected to be a minor bump. Zen, who knows. New GPUs just hit the market (or are about to).

Bread

Banned
I'm looking through Haz's builds in the OP, Great and Excellent both look like they would suffice. Would they both be good enough to support VR if I decide to grab one later this year? And if I would be gaming on 1080p for at least the next year is it still a big deal to grab the 1070?

Kei-

Hey guys. Looking for some input as far as putting my first pc together. I am hoping for a mid-range gaming build, but not right away. Meaning, I hope to add a decent GPU a couple of months down the line, but as of right now, I want to spend ~$400 for everything but a solid GPU which I'll get down the line.

I have a Microcenter nearby, so I can take advantage of their mobo and processor combo deals. Looking for something that will be able to accommodate the GPU later, something around a GTX 970. As well as decent on board graphics out of the box for very light gaming until I get a GPU, if that's not asking too much.

I know very little, if that's not painfully obvious already, so feel free to offer any kind of help.

Best Buy has: EVGA 600W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply for $30
Newegg has: DIYPC D480-BK-Window Black SPCC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case for $35 AR posted above as well as other cases ~$35

TheFatOne

So I'm planning on building a new computer in a couple of months, and had a question about monitors. Is it possible to get a good ultra wide freesync capable monitor for 400$ and under? And if so are there any particular monitors you would recommend? Really can't wait to build a new PC. Have been rocking an i5 Sandy Bridge, and a 6950 for a long time.

Ordinator

Hey guys, my sisters pc apparently isn't running the new World of Warcraft expansion very well and she's asking me about a possible gpu upgrade. Right now her specs are:

i5 650 @ 3.20GHz
8GB
Windows 10 64bit
Geforce gt 610

She mainly plays WoW and I think the occasional Sims or RollerCoaster Tycoon type games. Is there a good budget gpu upgrade for her? Her budget is like $100, maybe a little more if its worth it. Thanks for the help!

kuYuri

Hey guys, my sisters pc apparently isn't running the new World of Warcraft expansion very well and she's asking me about a possible gpu upgrade. Right now her specs are:

i5 650 @ 3.20GHz
8GB
Windows 10 64bit
Geforce gt 610

She mainly plays WoW and I think the occasional Sims or RollerCoaster Tycoon type games. Is there a good budget gpu upgrade for her? Her budget is like $100, maybe a little more if its worth it. Thanks for the help!

At that price, RX 460 when it releases.

i5 650 @ 3.20GHz
8GB
Windows 10 64bit
Geforce gt 610

My concern is her older processor. Despite people still viewing WOW as a 2005 game, they've upgraded their textures and animations over the years. WOW is more CPU bound than GPU bound. I'd hate for you or her to buy the new GPU and be disappointed by the CPU bottleneck of that older processor. In my opinion, any $100 GPU is pretty shitty. A decent entry level GPU is between $130-150, whether you go Green or Red team. You could try out a card like Nostalgic Windy posted above, and then see if that does it for her. If it doesn't, look to upgrading her PC/CPU.

kuYuri

My concern is her older processor. Despite people still viewing WOW as a 2005 game, they've upgraded their textures and animations over the years. WOW is more CPU bound than GPU bound. I'd hate for you or her to buy the new GPU and be disappointed by the CPU bottleneck of that older processor. In my opinion, any $100 GPU is pretty shitty. A decent entry level GPU is between $130-150, whether you go Green or Red team.

While it would definitely help, it's also going to be more expensive to replace the board and CPU. The least they can do for now is get rid of the GT 610, that is not a good card for gaming at all these days.

Momentary

Banned
the cables

all i need would be the

24pin MB
1 8pin
1 6pin
1 eps

you're looking at about 120 (this includes shipping cost). Probably a little less. It's one guy who does all this and he does a damn fine job.

Length and color of the cables do not cost extra. They are expensive, but the workmanship and colors can't be had anywhere else. He's really the best. Paul's Hardware used him for his wife's new PC.

http://www.ensourced.net/modular-power-supply-cables/?sort=bestselling

ombz

Another piece came in today ladies and gents. Slowly but surely. Slowly getting ready for that new Ti/Titan. Also got and IFIXIT tool kit. Heard mixed things about them, but after opening up the toolset and checking everything out, I'm super damn impressed with it's portability and quality.

20160625_104834_zpsuhw9xpuu.jpg

Nice haul! Especially the Pliny haha. I've always wanted to try their beer but I have never seen it in store in PA.

LogicStep

Finished my build. Just missing the video card which will get here on Tuesday. This thing is so fast it's insane.

What are the needed software I should have to keep an eye on my temps and things like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom