• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Grand Theft Auto V

I beat it on ps3 shortly after release and it was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I recently just started another PC playthrough on a 980ti and oh my fucking god it's beautiful

Great game, but I really don't think the story is anything special. I thought Franklin was dead weight. Really dull character.
I think Vice City, San Andreas and RDR have way better and more compelling stories.
Micheal and Trevor are great though.

I also never played it in first person - how is that? Good?

GTA 5 is easier to run than GTA 4. You'll be fine, you'll just have to do some tweaking in the robust and fully-featured graphics settings menu to get the right balance of framerate and eyecandy.

You really should get the game now while it's on sale, you won't regret it. The story mode is like 30 hours on its own, and then you can put as much time as you want into goofing off and doing missions in GTA Online. It has held its value for a reason.

Thanks. Yeah I'm sure it's still good value. On some level I also appreciate that its value is held in a single buy-it-or-don't product, not diluted over a handful of 'optional' add-ons. But this is a tangential fling at modern DLC practices, which have started to grate. It's old now, but I just bought Mass Effect 3. I'd need to remortgage if I wanted to play that game to its fullest.

BFIB

Fantastic game. Beat it on PS3, got it for PS4. It made me appreciate the PS3 version and how Rockstar was able to pull that off.

Rellik

I want to replay it so badly but it is still $35 on PC ffs. I already bought it on 360 and xbone so I don't wanna pay that much for something I already have twice. the game on xbone was a dream, i can only imagine how good it would be at 1080p/60fps and better textures on my gtx 970

I had it on PS3 and on PS4 and just started playing it on PC on the same card as you. It's beautiful. And the 60fps is great. I could probably never go back to the PS4 version now because of how smooth it feels.

Patrick S.

Banned
I liked the addition of first-person, but I still found myself playing in third-person most of the time. I usually used first-person when I was just driving around the world, since I love cockpit view in racing games.

The FOV when driving in first person view is really really bad, and you're seated much too close to the steering wheel. If it weren't for that, I'd never switch to third person view again in GTA V. There used to be an FOV mod, but it stopped working after a patch, and getting banned for these kind of mods is ridiculous anyway :(

Retromess

Neo Member
I can never understand the hate people have for Trevor. He's 100% designed to personify the kind of mindless mayhem players regularly engage in in this game, and he's never meant to be taken seriously, even during the mission OP hates. Maybe it's a bit too on the nose for self-parody? That mission was intense, but in a South Park/GTA kind of way.

I personally thought the crane and submarine missions to be far, FAR worse, but to each their own. I haven't played through GTA V since it came out on PS3/360 and I'm dying to play it again. Will probably fold and buy it on PC and/or PS4 real soon.

Kaji AF16

I couldn't believe my old Xbox 360 was running this game when I played that cargo plane hijacking mission.

GTA is not among my favorite sagas but it is interesting to me as a technological achievement and as a cultural phenomenon.

leng jai

Great game in many ways, especially on PC/PS4. The controls are still terrible, and a step back even from RDR. Same deal with the sound design. The constant swearing is also a huge turn off for me.

I can never understand the hate people have for Trevor. He's 100% designed to personify the kind of mindless mayhem players regularly engage in in this game, and he's never meant to be taken seriously, even during the mission OP hates. Maybe it's a bit too on the nose for self-parody? That mission was intense, but in a South Park/GTA kind of way.

I personally thought the crane and submarine missions to be far, FAR worse, but to each their own. I haven't played through GTA V since it came out on PS3/360 and I'm dying to play it again. Will probably fold and buy it on PC and/or PS4 real soon.
Trevor is basically GTA incarnate.

he's actually really well acted, too, I think... his banter with Michael actually reveals some of the best acting moments in the game.

stuff like this little exchange really highlights the nuanced acting, tone, eye movement, etc...
https://youtu.be/R0F37QPZlrU?t=153

plus he's hilarious
https://youtu.be/OOETAx4GrZg?t=77
https://youtu.be/qMYxuIOdYik?t=66

love his banter with michael, who has some underrated dry wit imo like these two line
https://youtu.be/qMYxuIOdYik?t=23
or this one

probably my favorite game to just watch cutscenes and listen to dialogue in other than FF XII two best games around for entertaining voice acting

plus the game itself is damn fun to goof around in (especially 3-man Hangouts), set up interesting shootouts, (e.g. rolling shootout from a train) or just watch random crazy shit happen haha

Neiteio

I've gone through this game twice. Really enjoyed it.

Is the one non-enjoyable mission alluded to in the OP the horribly uncomfortable
torture scene
?

eshwaaz

I'm currently in the middle of a replay on PS4, and I still have the same praise/complaints as I did the first time.

The world remains the most impressive contemporary environment ever created for a game. The attention to detail, the diversity, the day/night cycle are all incredible. It's seriously astounding how much work was put into it.

What bothers me is that there are no good reasons to explore outside of sightseeing. The side activities are awful, and there is simply nothing interesting to find. I have no interest in finding book pages or UFO parts.

Also, Rockstar was so proud of their fake stock market that they were extremely stingy about letting you make money any other way. Mission after mission you get screwed out of payment. Properties are prohibitively expensive and earn very little. I know you don't really need a ton of money in the game, but getting rich has always been a rewarding part of every previous GTA.

Great game in many ways, but also many design decisions I disagree with.

leng jai

I'm currently in the middle of a replay on PS4, and I still have the same praise/complaints as I did the first time.

The world remains the most impressive contemporary environment ever created for a game. The attention to detail, the diversity, the day/night cycle are all incredible. It's seriously astounding how much work was put into it.

What bothers me is that there are no good reasons to explore outside of sightseeing. The side activities are awful, and there is simply nothing interesting to find. I have no interest in finding book pages or UFO parts.

Also, Rockstar was so proud of their fake stock market that they were extremely stingy about letting you make money any other way. Mission after mission you get screwed out of payment. Properties are prohibitively expensive and earn very little. I know you don't really need a ton of money in the game, but getting rich has always been a rewarding part of every previous GTA.

Great game in many ways, but also many design decisions I disagree with.

I prefer Witcher 3's open world, even if it the sandbox element isn't as good. The day night cycle and weather system is better IMO.

I've gone through this game twice. Really enjoyed it.

Is the one non-enjoyable mission alluded to in the OP the horribly uncomfortable
torture scene
?

Yes.

Technically the updates that added new cars to GTA Online do impact singleplayer because the Legendary Motorsport website updates in both modes to sell the new vehicles.

Heists were pretty undercooked unfortunately, they could have been amazing and the meat of the story missions.

I still enjoyed them, but they definitely lacked challenge. For my playthrough on PC, I chose all of the "go in loud" approaches, and they were still really easy. Just dudes streaming in through a door while you pound them with assault rifle bullets until you're told to move to the next room.

This makes me want to buy the PC version. I played through it on PS3 when it came out and it was so much fun.

Hmmm..

I thought this, but it turned out that at least personally, 50 hours of last gen GTA V really sours you on the experience, despite how much better the game looks and runs.

Besides graphically it was a step down in every way from part 4 imo. Physics, driving, shooting, story, online, etc. That being said it's still amazing and I did buy the game twice day 1 on ps3 then ps4.

Besides graphically it was a step down in every way from part 4 imo. Physics, driving, shooting, story, online, etc. That being said it's still amazing and I did buy the game twice day 1 on ps3 then ps4.

I don't know how anyone can think the shooting in GTA 5 is worse than GTA 4. Mechanically GTA 4's shooting was really, really weak. I think if you put the games side by side and judged them instead of just going off of memory, the improvements in 5 would be apparent.

I thought this, but it turned out that at least personally, 50 hours of last gen GTA V really sours you on the experience, despite how much better the game looks and runs.

Really? Sours it in what way? I probably put about 50 hours into the last gen version, now that you mention it.

The only things that stuck with me from this game are the incredible world detail and Slink Johnson absolutely stealing every single scene he was in, finding some way to translate Houser-speak into something that sounds natural and funny. The more time passes the more the game, as a whole, disappoints me. Character control is still awful, combat feels worse than the games it's pulling from (RDR and MP3), side missions are trash, the economy/properties are pointless, the narrative is capital G garbage..... idk man. After the initial "OMG THIS WORLD" awe wore off, the rest felt completely hollow. I wrapped up the final missions, which weren't satisfying whatsoever, and never even bothered to go back and clean up the map or wrap up the post game stuff. This incredible world, these great actors, this huge budget, this insane combination of composers crafting an amazing score, and.... this is the game we got? It's the first time I finished a new GTA and thought "Maybe I'm over this." All the ingredients to make an huge scale atmospheric crime epic and they just.... made another clownshoes GTA.

I need a dev to apply that Witcher 3 sauce to a modern open world action game.

leng jai

I don't know how anyone can think the shooting in GTA 5 is worse than GTA 4. Mechanically GTA 4's shooting was really, really weak. I think if you put the games side by side and judged them instead of just going off of memory, the improvements in 5 would be apparent.

They're both horrible in the shooting department, but there was definite improvement going into 5. Still nowhere near enough considering it came out after RDR and MP3, both of which were significantly better. I don't understand how they were backwards from RDR so badly in some areas. You can say they were made by different studios within Rockstar but it doesn't make sense why the guns felt and sound so much worse in GTA.

Probably the greatest open world game of all time. Wish it had a better soundtrack. Seeing how good it looks makes me want a vice city remake sooooooo bad.

Aiming and sluggish movement

I agree that the movement is sluggish when you're just walking around, but it becomes reasonably responsive when you aim down your sights.

I personally don't mind the slow movement since it makes the animations look super realistic, and there are plenty of open world games out there (i.e. Saint's Row 3, 4) that have pixel perfect movement and it looks kinda strange.

People don't give the driving enough credit.

Doing even a 3 star car chase is exhilireating in first person without the map.. I actually think the quality of the design of the roads and map becomes much clearer when you're only focusing on what is in front of you rather than just looking at the map to see the easy escape. Every road giving you endless options, leading to more options.

Compare this to other open world or even racing games and there is really nothing that comes close in terms of the entire package.

Disgraced

I personally don't mind the slow movement since it makes the animations look super realistic, and there are plenty of open world games out there (i.e. Saint's Row 3, 4) that have pixel perfect movement and it looks kinda strange.
MGSV tho. Superb-feeling and looking. My ideal movement system is similar to MGSV's when you're out on the prowl/doing missions, and when you're chilling out/interacting with NPCs at say, Mother Base, or any game's hub you have GTA's immersive brisk walking.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Solid game and a ton of fun to play online with friends.

I do find GTA 4 a lot more fun to just dick around in though. Which is weird because at the time people were complaining that GTA 4 was too serious before the Ballad of Gay Tony. I really miss the physics engine from that game hopefully it will be BC soon.

I prefer Witcher 3's open world, even if it the sandbox element isn't as good. The day night cycle and weather system is better IMO.
yeah, though to be fair, GTA V is basically a PS3 game...

I mean, they shined it up for current-gen with some new effects or grass but I think even sometimes I forget the core world system (e.g. weather or time of day) and design (e.g. landscape or building geometry) is still from a 3 year old PS3 game.

How's GTA Online on the PC? According to Steam reviews, there are a lot of hackers. Is that true? I beat the single player mode on PS3, but I was thinking of playing through it again on PC, and maybe playing online a bit, if it's decent nowadays.

Also, how lenient is Steam's refund policy? For example, if I bought GTA 5 and there were too many hackers, would that be good enough reason for Steam to credit me back? I would be OK with just getting Steam credit back.

Aiming and sluggish movement
helps a lot to change the aim sensitivity and turn up aiming acceleration while removing the aiming deadzone.

also, the game has no 'character weight' (the turning circle momentum or inertia) when you're aiming...

so if you half-press Aim to do a free running aim, you can spin in circles 1:1 movement/input with no character weight momentum/turning circle inertia, and aim and turn on a dime.

How's GTA Online on the PC? According to Steam reviews, there are a lot of hackers. Is that true? I beat the single player mode on PS3, but I was thinking of playing through it again on PC, and maybe playing online a bit, if it's decent nowadays.

Also, how lenient is Steam's refund policy? For example, if I bought GTA 5 and there were too many hackers, would that be good enough reason for Steam to credit me back? I would be OK with just getting Steam credit back.

Steam guarantees you a refund of the game to either the payment method you used to buy it OR your Steam wallet (your choice) as long as your playtime of the game is under 2 hours and you make the refund request within 2 weeks of the purchase.

No memory involved, I still play the game on my PS3. I couldn't play 5 without the auto aim because of that awful dead zone or whatever it was. Literally unplayable without autoaim. If only it controlled like MP3.

pbsapeer

Banned
Shame it's still ridiculously expensive for the game that's released nearly 3 years ago. Would love to pick it up again. Enjoyed it on PS3 but I agree the graphics maybe held it back

Top Bottom