• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is shutting down Xbox Fitness

//DEVIL//

I am seriously laughing at this. Xbox fitness was probably the only thing that I kept on using when I had my xbox. Now I feel more glad that I sold my xbox one last week. what the hell man.

Wow this part sucks:

On July 1, 2017, Xbox Fitness (and all associated content) will no longer be available for download/play. This includes content you’ve purchased. At that time, Xbox Fitness will no longer be available for download from Xbox Marketplace and content will not be available for play from the Xbox Marketplace nor within the game. Xbox Fitness users will no longer be able access Xbox Fitness and the associated workouts/programs.

I thought about buying fitness subscriptions for this but decided not to because of my lack of commitment. Now my laziness looks like a good financial decision.

That sucks... I feel like if you bought the content you should be able to keep it offline...

platocplx

On July 1, 2017, Xbox Fitness (and all associated content) will no longer be available for download/play. This includes content you’ve purchased. At that time, Xbox Fitness will no longer be available for download from Xbox Marketplace and content will not be available for play from the Xbox Marketplace nor within the game. Xbox Fitness users will no longer be able access Xbox Fitness and the associated workouts/programs.

We honestly need legislature in place about things we purchase digitally. This is wholly unacceptable.

I'm still pissed that i cant even export books i bought through apples store to any other store. like what the fuck.

Zenner

Gonna miss this; still, there's a year left for most of the workouts. I wouldn't be happy if I'd bought any of the routines, though.

Someone asked about Kinect games in development:

Kung Fu for Kinect came out just a few days ago.

Still waiting on ID@Xbox games: Fru ( 2014 E trailer ) , and the 5-player couch co-op Firestarter one (forgot the name) with 4 water-spirits trying to extinguish the Fire Demon. Been a loooooong time since either was mentioned officially, but ya never know.

Absolute BS.. I recently purchased P90X Xbox Fitness version with the expectation of being able to use it for many years to come just like I can use the DVD sets indefinitely, not for what is essentially a 1 year license. Microsoft should be giving at least partial refunds for this..
If you just bought it I'm sure support will give you a refund. Contact them

SOR5

Yeah, I think this thread is already longer than the OT.

This is the first time I've seen people outside of the official website mention Xbox Fitness

Ever

Seriously, from 2013-2016

giphy.gif

Still shit but you can see what happened

anothertech

WHAT THE FCK

My family uses this regularly. We bought most of the content available. And we have till next year to use it???

What is this shit!????

Aggie CMD

This is my most used app/game on Xbox One. There is no service that I could be more disappointed in loosing than this one. The MOSSA workouts are so good.

watdaeff4

This is the first time I've seen people outside of the official website mention Xbox Fitness

Ever

Seriously, from 2013-2016

giphy.gif

Was brought up in threads from time-to-time in the past (usually Kinect-related threads).

I think this will get more traffic due to the "hey, if you bought shit, you will lose it" angle.

This has always been an underlying fear of the all-digital future, before it was all what-ifs, then P.T. happened, but was played off as being only a demo and no one had to pay for it.

Now we have a paid example.

watdaeff4

We should all tweet Phil Spencer and ask him how we get our money back!

I didn't pay for any of the content on Xbox Fitness, but would love to see people who did bombard him with tweets just to see what the response is.

IMO how MS handles this (if there is a negative backlash) will significantly influence my future digital vs. physical purchases. Not just from them, but Sony as well. I already know how Nintendo handles it, makes me rebuy every generation at a "discounted price."

Ducayne

Pretty bummed about this. Live in NYC and only had the apartment space for a few months to fully be able to enjoy the workouts. I ended up buying two programs @ 60 bucks each.

I'm moving a few months to a much bigger space and was looking forward to using these again. Shame they aren't refunding/discounting or letting you KEEP the workouts you bought (considering they just added a download option a few months back).

Was brought up in threads from time-to-time in the past (usually Kinect-related threads).

I think this will get more traffic due to the "hey, if you bought shit, you will lose it" angle.

This has always been an underlying fear of the all-digital future, before it was all what-ifs, then P.T. happened, but was played off as being only a demo and no one had to pay for it.

Now we have a paid example.

Exactly. This topic SHOULD be more popular than an OT, it has far reaching implications.

Montresor

Why are downloadable Rock Band songs still playable offline for me?

And why are downloadable and in-game Xbox Fitness workouts no longer playable after July 2017?

What the hell? What is the fucking difference? This is really dumb. Okay, make the game no longer downloadable. But why isn't this stuff playable offline?

Why are downloadable Rock Band songs still playable offline for me?

And why are downloadable and in-game Xbox Fitness workouts no longer playable after July 2017?

What the hell? What is the fucking difference? This is really dumb. Okay, make the game no longer downloadable. But why isn't this stuff playable offline?

Most likely how the licenses were obtained.

Have you ever gone to a concert? Likely $60ish for a popular band. And then that experience is gone (disposable). And that's for less than 4 hours.

You're too used to your current mindset. That's not how games are working moving forward. Rarely are any games that are shut down primarily disc based games anyway.

it's "Kinect." Not sure if you're being facetious or ignorant.

MS has pretty much fully ditched it, and most other publishers too. Considering you can't buy an S packaged with one, that means it's over.

No I haven't gone to a concert

I've been buying games for 20 plus years that still work and will likely always work. Why should I be OK with them no longer lasting forever based on a server status? Paying the same to lose rights?

I don't view games as temporary.

Will all my blu ray movies shut down some day? What's the difference?

w0s

They really screwed up Xbox fitness. I was super excited about it and doing p90x and getting scored would have been awesome. I'm the end the content wasn't there or just came
Out to early. I think this was a huge missed opportunity and could have really helped Kinect if they integrated it better.

SOR5

Xbox Fitness is the new 1 vs 100. Not enough people played it, it went away. Now it's the greatest thing and MS sucks.

Holy shit yes

I actually had this reaction, I barely played it but when it was taken away I felt like I got mugged

I wonder what the psychological reason is

Is anyone actually actively making Kinetic games? Particularly MS published? I dont see the value of having support when theres little revenue coming out of it.

To add to my last post - I was talking about some QoL device that isnt Xbox branded

ps3ud0 8)

At this point supporting it means just having an extra usb port on the motherboard.

Also, Ms added kinect support to uwp, devs will be able to make games and apps for it if there's demand and since Ms doesn't need to align it to the console it wil likely continue to be developed as research.

watdaeff4

No I haven't gone to a concert

I've been buying games for 20 plus years that still work and will likely always work. Why should I be OK with them no longer lasting forever based on a server status? Paying the same to lose rights?

I don't view games as temporary.

Will all my blu ray movies shut down some day? What's the difference?

Good grief, you and I are on such a same wavelength. Fist-bump.

My mind is blown that people are saying "stop yelling at the clouds, this is the future, accept it"

This isn't a minor change, this is major if that is how the medium is taking us.

Holy shit yes

I actually had this reaction, I barely played it but when it was taken away I felt like I got mugged

I wonder what the psychological reason is

Did you pay for 1 vs. 100? Do people who paid for content for Xbox fitness have a right to be concerned/upset?

I bet the contracts were coming up and they had to weigh (heh) how many people were using the service based on how much those costs.

I will say though, it's always weird seeing people come out of the woodworks whenever something gets shut down, but they aren't vocal about how they use the service otherwise, which might help others know about it and keep it alive :p

Because most of the people I'm responding to don't even own an xbox one and are trying to use this as some "MS is the badguy" narrative.

You've certainly responded to folks who have outright said they use the service. Not sure why there is a need for damage control. X company doing it too doesn't make it any better. It's not a good look in any case.

Jeels

Wait, I have spent money to purchase content on Xbox Fitness...

In a year I wont be able to use that content? What the fuck.

Beyond it being the living room media player (PS4 is in my room for games), Xbox Fitness is the only thing I played on my Xbox...I am really upset right now...

watdaeff4

I bet the contracts were coming up and they had to weigh (heh) how many people were using the service based on how much those costs.

I will say though, it's always weird seeing people come out of the woodworks whenever something gets shut down, but they aren't vocal about how they use the service otherwise, which might help others know about it and keep it alive :p

See my posts and Valkyr's, and think about it.

Thanks.

I even give how little I used it and what the concern is with this move.

No and yes
Now you know why some of us are concerned.

lokimotion

Neo Member
That's really unfortunate. It was the only reason I bought the Kinect Bundle (and really my biggest reason to by the XB1 in the first place). I understand Microsoft's position though - clearly they aren't seeing enough revenue to keep this going.

Just makes me sad that there's now one less reason for me to keep the XB1 around since I've got a great gaming PC and now fitness is going away :( . If they enable Xbox 360 backwards compatibility on Windows 10 as well - I guess this will be my last xbox console (not saying it's necessarily a bad thing for MS - just an end of an era for me).

See my posts and Valkyr's, and think about it.

Thanks.

I even give how little I used it and what the concern is with this move.

Now you know why some of us are concerned.
Don't take my post as me not agreeing with you, I do. I'm merely commenting on how this thread is already longer than the OT where everyone who is upset and used it could have been talking about it, raising awareness, getting others involved, ect. This happened with Project Spark too. Never saw it talked about and then it came out it was closing and people came out of nowhere to talk about the game :p (at least in that case they refunded people though)

SOR5

Ya, MS should def get a pass since you personally weren't affected.

What a corporate apologist shitshow.

Apart from the fact that I just said people should get reparations and I get the negativity, okay

I am not here to defend the honor of Xbox Fitness

If Xbox Fitness created as much passion as your single post it wouldve done better lol

To be fair it's not like MS gave any warning that the service wasn't doing well.....

anothertech

Apart from the fact that I just said people should get reparations and I get the negativity, okay

I am not here to defend the honor of Xbox Fitness

If Xbox Fitness created as much passion as your single post it wouldve done better lol
You don't need to defend MS honor either and try to downplay things.

Alx

Really upset about this ! I was playing it a lot.

Is there any other Kinect Fitness game on Xbone ? I don't know if Kinect Sport Rivals counts....

There is Shape'Up from Ubi Soft, which is a bit sillier and more gamified, but not as good (in my opinion).
There is also a full Zumba Fitness game (there was already a Zumba program in Xbox Fitness that made it quite redundant, maybe not any more).
Also the Just Dance games have a fitness mode, although it's just arbitrary dances put in a sequence.

I guess I'm going to use those more once XFitness expires. :/
I can imagine the issue is about licensing, since there's no practical reason they wouldn't let you play offline. But they chose a shitty licensing model then, because there is no such time limitation for licensed games.
I suppose XFitness was originally supposed to be a subscription based service (the "free with gold" was always presented as a temporary offer), and later evolved into a "buy your program" model, which could explain such licensing. Still sucks.

Should have assumed it wasn't since Kinect was unbundled and they stopped any Kinect game development internally after Kinect Sports. But I do know what happens when you assume... :p

It really felt it wasn't doing so bad. There was a good support of the game, with new programs coming at regular interval, it's also one of the few games with regular challenges, and some dev info in the activity feed.
With that said, all of that was also true with Project Spark. Maybe an active community management is a sign of a software doing bad. :/

watdaeff4

Absolute BS.. I recently purchased P90X Xbox Fitness version with the expectation of being able to use it for many years to come just like I can use the DVD sets indefinitely, not for what is essentially a 1 year license. Microsoft should be giving at least partial refunds for this..

As Banjo said, contact Customer Service, and actually if you don't mind, if you do, some of us in this thread would like to know what their response is. If you don't want to share, understandable......

Don't take my post as me not agreeing with you, I do. I'm merely commenting on how this thread is already longer than the OT where everyone who is upset and used it could have been talking about it, raising awareness, getting others involved, ect. This happened with Project Spark too. Never saw it talked about and then it came out it was closing and people came out of nowhere to talk about the game :p (at least in that case they refunded people though)

Bad news always brings hits, look at what US major media has done for the last 15 years.....

Also, again, the implications here for me and at least a couple others is more disturbing that the shutting down the service itself. How MS handles any CS complaints is telling for our all-digital future, not to mention games that are always online (Division, Destiny, Garden Warfare 2 just some ones I can think of I own). Between both Sony and MS I'm more digital than physical, and this is going to make me question buying digital in the future unless it's a great price.

SOR5

Should have assumed it wasn't since Kinect was unbundled and they stopped any Kinect game development internally after Kinect Sports. But I do know what happens when you assume... :p

I know but I guess a lot of casual consumers just expect their product to work in the future, and I think that's Xbox Fitness' core but small demographic

Cherubae

I play Xbox Fitness a few times per week when outdoor activities are not ideal (raining, too hot, etc.), and even bought the Yo:30 yoga program. A few months back they even added more MOSSA workouts to the free options too. XBox Fitness was the reason why I bought a Gold membership, wanted an XBox One to begin with, and is the only reason why I turn on the console; every "game" I want to play is either on a Sony or Nintendo console. It was much better than Wii Fit or EA's Sports Active program.

Total disappointment :(

XBox Fitness wasn't a program that needed an active discussion or forum topics about it to judge its popularity; the dang thing worked as expected. You turned it on, did your routine, then turned it off. It was there when you wanted to use it (minus server outages) and on standby when you didn't need it.

Microsoft already added an option that allows consumers to use the program even if they didn't own a Kinect. It also added the ability to save the purchased programs to the console so you weren't streaming them on demand. The streaming ones would cut out from time to time, but once saved to the console that problem went away.

Shin-Ra

Everything you buy these days is only a license. Even physical games only grant you a license that can be revoked.
Bad luck implementing the online-required DRM enabling that.

What a shitty move. When I remember all the promises MS made about Kinect I can't but feel disgust.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-06-23-xbox-head-on-stand-alone-kinect-theyll-buy-it
Phil Spencer said:
"A Kinect game relies on the successful Xbox One installed base," ... "I need to, as the head of Xbox, make sure that we've got a platform and a product offering that millions of consumers will love, and I stay focused on that. That's where I'm at now. We'll also continue to evolve what Kinect can do.”
Evolve doesn't necessarily mean improve but...

Phil Spencer said:
"We see millions and millions of people using Kinect today. We've had over a billion voice commands used. The use of Kinect in people's homes is incredibly high. And because people are continuing to use it, it's an area we're going to continue to invest, in terms of making the experience better. And I think that makes building games in that environment even better. Consumers love the device; they love the experience. They'll buy it. They'll either buy it at launch when they buy their console, or they'll be able to buy it after the $399 console; they'll pick it up and add it on later. And we'll continue to make sure that experience is great."
That's not so ambiguous.

Top Bottom