• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

No, it's just that it shows so little compared to the other, not necessarily in length. They don't even mention the consequences in the ending I chose nor show any remorse or pain. I think with the drastically different endings it's a guarantee there's no second season, at least not with these characters.

I wonder how much Max will support this alternative reality

Just started playing the first chapter with my mum and brother. My brother is having a great time smack talking every single character and their dialogues. We had just got time powers and every character got burned, so I think this will be really entertaining if they enjoy this game and can get past the dialogue parts.

Looks like they're working to make Max mostly a rude person. Piss off Victoria, snoop into Dana's shit, etc. Their missing a ton of interactions, but I'm trying not to interfere with how they want to play the game. They ain't much into exploring, wo it irks me quite a bit.

They skipped over evey interaction outside the main building after stopping Prescott, they also missed talking with Kate and Samuel outside the dorms. They did assist Kate with David. They're entertained, but thus far characters, to them, seem to have come off as pretty much stupid all around, which I can't blame them for since characters really do do and say some dumb stuff. I let them know they missed a bunch of interactions and they said, "oooh, that sucks." I guess I should've told them, hehe. They're probably gonna go back and talk to all the characters.

Probably won't get through another chapter for a couple weekends or so, due to a new job and odd scheduling. But I think I'll pop in and update whenever we do play it since the crazy stuff is yet to come.

They're gonna end up
killing Kate
if I don't assist during episode two later on. I got a feeling. I don't want that so I'm gonna play jesus and give them the answers.

RSB

Banned
Finished a few hours ago. I
sacrificed Arcadia Bay #BaeOverBay
but I feel like it was the wrong choice. Watching the other ending on YouTube, it seemed like it showed so much more and that was what you were supposed to pick.

Kinda sucked that nothing you did the rest of the time mattered but it was a great journey.
Yep, it's like they ran out of budget or something, and one of the endings had to be sacrificed
(pun intended)

What bothered me the most, I think, is that
the only way to see them kiss is to choose the sacrifice Chloe ending. If you choose the other ending the game's like "Yeah, all that shipping was for nothing, sorry. LOL"

Oh well, neither ending truly satisfied me, but it's ok. After all, what really matters is the journey, not the destination (and Life is Strange is truly and incredible journey)

So, I started a new game review show, and the first game I reviewed was Life is Strange. After I finished it, I watched a few other reviews to see how they compared. To my surprise, all of the reviews I watched were ridiculously full of spoilers! In fact, GameTrailers' review was the worst offender; they showed multiple parts of
Kate's suicide scene
and lots of
Chloe in the wheelchair
! Towards the end, I honestly thought they were just gonna go ahead and show
Jefferson with a gun
. I was pretty stunned. So, I'm really happy to say that my review is 99% spoiler-free! Because of that, I think it has a good chance of being one of the better LiS reviews on YouTube. Check it out, and let me know what you think!

https://youtu.be/-Olv66KpwrE

Enjoy!

Story-based games are in a tough spot. On one hand, spoilers are a good way to pique people's interest for the game, but on the other hand a spoiler-free run is probably a better experience for the player. Which leads to coverage being a minefield either way, due to differing expectations or understanding of spoilers. A great (and terrible) example is the
official Steam page, which lays out giant spoilers--most notably the Dark Room screenshots; it makes me really glad that I wasn't paying much attention to them when I bought the game.

As far as coverage is concerned, I think spoiler-free is definitely a better way to go for LiS. My experience would've been dampened had I been spoiled before playing and that would be a great shame.

chadskin

Not really enough to warrant a new thread I think but French media reports Dontnod is working on a project codenamed "Breathless": https://www.reddit.com/r/lifeisstra...nod_is_working_on_another_game_beside_vampyr/

They received €200K in funding for this project from the French "National Center of Cinematography and the moving image" in September last year:

KcbSvei.png

Back in March 2013, Dontnod also received €200K from the same agency for a project codenamed "What If" which would later become LiS season 1.

Soooo ... it's perhaps just wishful thinking but ... that's gotta be season 2, right?

Not really enough to warrant a new thread I think but French media reports Dontnod is working on a project codenamed "Breathless": https://www.reddit.com/r/lifeisstra...nod_is_working_on_another_game_beside_vampyr/

They received €200K in funding for this project from the French "National Center of Cinematography and the moving image" in September last year:

KcbSvei.png

Back in March 2013, Dontnod also received €200K from the same agency for a project codenamed "What If" which would later become LiS season 1.

Soooo ... it's perhaps just wishful thinking but ... that's gotta be season 2, right?

Let's hope. I'm real anxious to get my existence-manipulating melodrama on again.

Saladinoo

So I Finally finished Life is Strange just now. I played through episode 1 around christmas time then waited for the physical copy to play the rest, and I've been getting through it slowly since, and got through episodes 4 & 5 over the past couple of days now it's Easter break.

Those feels.

So glad I gave this game a chance, I'd heard a lot of good things through its run, but I've become a bit fatigued with the abundance of adventure games recently and thought that I might be missing the experience of it as a 'phenomenon' with it being episodically rolled out throughout last year and all. None of that mattered though once I got into it, the characters just became so well fleshed out, which is impressive considering the cast is quite large - those that seemed inconsequential at the beginning became relatable and important, and the were some really well explored adult themes, by the end I just felt connected to everyone. I'm only 23 and am still at University so maybe it struck a chord with me in that sense.

In terms of the overall story and adventure, despite some slow moments around episodes 2 & 3, the pacing was generally really good - The mystery of Rachel Amber was interesting and kept evolving (although the way the clues got gathered seemed a bit disparate and confusing), but the real highlight is the relationship between Max and Chloe - it was heartfelt and wonderful to behold, and it's interesting that I can easily seeing it being interpreted in different ways by different people.

There are some janky parts sure, but overall it was such a great experience. I enjoyed so many little details, like the text messages, and I loved the way the soundtrack was used was phenomenal, great at creating a melancholy that emphasised the uncertainty that comes with the hefty number of choices you have to make (and yes I felt like my choices actually mattered!)

A few other comments on the story:
Initially the part where Jefferson turned out to be a psycho really annoyed me - I thought it was a far fetched twist which turned the story into a bit of a joke, but to my surprise, they made it work through episode 5, and I became less bothered by it.

I was a bit disappointed by the ending - I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay (and feel like an asshole for it) - I disagree with comments that the final choice makes everything else pointless because I felt Max and Chloe had been truly shaped and affected by my choices, which is a testament to the power of the game's narrative (In contrast to Mass Effect 3...), but after I made the choice, the game more or less just ended without much further explanation, and I felt a bit... empty? Then again, maybe that is because of the choice I made, it could be considered a selfish one, maybe there isn't meant to be a nice resolution and maybe the other ending offers that - I'm not sure weather to youtube it or not, it kind of feels like cheating (again, power to the narrative of the game!)

In summary, if you feel like you might have "missed the boat" with Life is Strange, forget it and just go with it - try the demo at least!

MUnited83

For you.
So, regarding the ending, the only possible choice is very clearly
sacrificing Arcadia Bay. The "natural disasters" still existed all the same in the reality where Chloe was paralyzed. A reality where she was never shot and therefore Max powers wouldn't have activated on that reality. However, she still got the powers there. This means the following: letting Chloe die wouldn't stop the tornado(only make it worse), and neither it would make Max powerless.

terrible

Banned
So, regarding the ending, the only possible choice is very clearly
sacrificing Arcadia Bay. The "natural disasters" still existed all the same in the reality where Chloe was paralyzed. A reality where she was never shot and therefore Max powers wouldn't have activated on that reality. However, she still got the powers there. This means the following: letting Chloe die wouldn't stop the tornado(only make it worse), and neither it would make Max powerless.

Chloe doesn't get shot because Max went back and prevented Chloe's dad from dying in that timeline, so technically her powers were still used.

Really though the last thing anyone should do in a time travel story is try to dig too deep. It ruins it every time lol.

viky101

Neo Member
I loved the atmosphere in this game. The ending gave me major Mass Effect 3 feels though. I hope there is a second season and
they find a way so Max saves everything.
Amazing characters.

D23

i.. just beat it..

episode 5 credits still rolling in the background,

and i am speechless.

what a game.. wow

Looks like the creator might have gotten a Cease And Desist since the project was canceled 2 hours ago. Whoever made it just really wants a sequel, I guess.

The stuff on that page is hilarious:

Any who donate $1,000 or more (after the first $1,000 donation) will be able to fully voice a character in the game.

Option One: Approach Dontnod with an offer to fund Life is Strange 2. They must agree these terms: To make Life is Strange 2 in a reasonable amount of time, to use as many of the same writers, voice actors and graphic artists as reasonable, and to honor the commitment to give advance copies of the game (and other goodies) to the original donors of the crowdsourcing fund.
Option Two: If Dontnod is not interested in making a sequel in a reasonable amount of time, then the money will be used to purchase whatever rights needed to the Life is Strange 2 and will sponsor another game developer; again with the same rules of using the same writers and voice as the original game.

Bought the retail CE with the art book and soundtrack CD, just finished tonight.

Max and Chloe Forever.

Fuck Arcadia Bay.

Game was about a beautiful friendship/love. That's all that mattered to me in the end. But I do feel empty, not because the ending didn't satisfy me, but because those two characters drove off into the unknown and I don't get to go with them.

I downloaded the Mobile Media Kit from the subreddit a few weeks ago and put the "this decision will have consequences" tune on my phone. I couldn't get it to work as a text alert, I think I have to change the format.

But today I plugged headphones into the phone and it played! It happened twice! Hope I didn't fuck up this time line.

CaramelMarx

Neo Member
I finally finished my Life is Strange review. It took me six months, but no worries: that's about a week's time when adjusted for amateurism. You guys can check it out here.

In the video, I argue that Life is Strange is intentionally campy and oblique to make a point about human nature. (Here's a quick summary for those who don't have time to watch the review)
Specifically, that reality defies the easy categories imposed on it from our simple minds. Just as the game is neither all horror or all drama, and just as no character is all good or evil, neither are many things in life so easy to classify or instantly know how to deal with.

I also discuss Ebert's proclamation ("games will never be high art") relative to the game, and how Life is Strange serves as a great case in point for why he said that...while still managing to be a damn incredible work of art.

The spoiler-free nature of the video means a lot of vagueness, but I did my best to make the review worthwhile for fans too.

Chris R

Finally finished

Terrific game, the choices you make are so damn hard sometimes.

But in the end,
fuck arcadia bay

Everyone is still alive, minus rando civilians, so I"m in team #SaveChole for sure.

Only one thing bummed me about the game, and that would be the stuff in episode 4/5
where the cops were not called ASAP after finding the dark room, like wtf

It was the only choice.

Also, I just got an email that SE is doing a LiS related Focus Group in the Chicago area... LiS Season 2 related?
I threw my hat into the ring for that Focus Group. It seems that they're going to pick people at random, though. Also, why Chicago? There aren't any SE studios there, right?

Funny for this thread to come top again in my subs.
I just beat it a second time on the PS4 today. It's depressing it couldn't hit me the same as the first time, but that's surely a crazy high expectation to have. It is still amazing and it got me back to mixing my Life Is Strange-inspired album after almost two months, and it's nearly there too. Just a bit more tinkering and I can bust out a RTTP thread about the whole experience of playing it for the very first time and theorize how the hell it managed to do what it did to me.

I'll play it through again in October. I'll be waiting for Season 2.

Quick

Banned
Picked this up on PS4 for $10 from the Extended Play Sale. I finished episode 1 tonight and it's a pretty good game so far. I've only ever heard of the praise for the game, so I've generally been in the dark about its plot or anything else, really.

I'm a little annoyed that I missed some of the optional photos for trophies, so I might have to run through episode 1 again.

After playing the game, I was kind of hoping there would be a cross-platform Vita version or at least a separate Vita version, so I could play this at work or something, but alas.

I'm a little annoyed that I missed some of the optional photos for trophies, so I might have to run through episode 1 again.

The game has an entire mode built to help you hunt down those photos after finishing the game, so don't worry about it. You won't have to replay entire episodes.

Persona7

Banned
The game has an entire mode built to help you hunt down those photos after finishing the game, so don't worry about it. You won't have to replay entire episodes.

Yeah, I think at most you might have to replay 10-20 minutes at most if you miss one and restart a chapter for collectible mode

Just finished the game a little while ago. The emotional impact of it all was probably dulled because a good friend of mine killed himself about a week ago, so I'm not sure if it says anything about me that I chose to
watch the town burn because I didn't really like anybody there anyway, and it would've been a damn shame to see all that hard work saving Chloe's ass go to waste. Now she owes me a lifedebt, Wookie-style. I'm either jaded or sociopathically pragmatic.

Quick

Banned

Yeah, I think at most you might have to replay 10-20 minutes at most if you miss one and restart a chapter for collectible mode

Got 'em all. :)

The ones I missed didn't take too long to get to, thankfully. Just a lot of "wait, did I check this seemingly ordinary object or thing yet?!"

Just ended it.

Game was great although Episode 5 was in my humble opinion not a very good one. Hated how it
forced you to chose between sacrificing Chloe or the town and wouldn't allow Max to use her power to create a situation in which she could AND save Chloe AND warn inhabitants for the storm so that she could sacrifice Arcadia Bay which would result only in material damage and no lives lost.

In the end I
sacrificied Chloe to save Pompidou the dog and Kate's sweet rabbit lol.

I kinda liked how the game looked liked it was shot with a portrait lens with its typical very big aperture: very sharp in the centre but soft in the edges and with nice shallow depth of field and nice bokeh.

Slightly disappointed. Bought in to the hype. Finally finished it yesterday. It had its good moments. The scene with Kate was my favorite. But overall, the dialogue was bad, and the final episode takes a shit. Still glad I played it.

Quick

Banned
Bought the game a week ago and finally finished it yesterday. Really great game, and I'm hoping for a Season 2/sequel soon.

Overall thoughts:

A bit disappointed with what seems to be the potential for branching choices throughout the game ending up leading to the same conclusion.

I would have liked more options to come into play and affect the story more, but everything I decided only really came back to me when dealing with a specific character - stuff like Chloe questioning Max in Episode 5 about how she lost it on David, Victoria remembering that Max didn't take a picture of her splattered in paint, Jefferson pointing out that Max got Nathan suspended while in the dark room.

I didn't mind Episode 5, but I was hoping for something less straightforward. I liked how the game had the branching choices to make throughout its episodes - saving Kate/letting her jump or Chloe killing/hurting/making peace with Frank - but that didn't exist other than for Max to save Chloe or save Arcadia Bay.

The nightmare sequences were inspired. Not unique to the game (Max Payne came to mind), but I liked that they went a little out of the box with it. Almost End of Evangelion-esque even.

I ultimately decided to save Arcadia Bay, since it felt like the right thing to do based on where the scene was going and Chloe accepting her fate.

After beating this game a second time a few weeks back, I finally got back to the music I was making and "finished" it. Gave me that, "Dude, you should probably finish that thing so you can move on and work to newer stuff," shove. It was a project of half-passion, half-education. It was a ton of fun.

https://soundcloud.com/take_marsh/sets/early-october-rewind

18 tracks | 1:02:51

Just some mostly chill beats. And I thought I would've finished it back in March. Pssssssh hehe

Pachinko

I just bought this a few days ago (thanks Lord Gaben) after meaning to check it out for a while now.

So far I've finished episode 1 and 2 and I'm going for more of a casual playthrough , like I don't know why exactly but I feel rushed in this game so I skip past a ton of stuff. It's been good though.

I would hardly say it's a flawless masterpiece right now but it's enjoyable and a little different. I described it on twitter last night as Degrassi if it was set in first semester college in twin peaks. There's also elements of the final destination films in here.

Worth the 12$ basically.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
After beating this game a second time a few weeks back, I finally got back to the music I was making and "finished" it. Gave me that, "Dude, you should probably finish that thing so you can move on and work to newer stuff," shove. It was a project of half-passion, half-education. It was a ton of fun.

https://soundcloud.com/take_marsh/sets/early-october-rewind

18 tracks | 1:02:51

Just some mostly chill beats. And I thought I would've finished it back in March. Pssssssh hehe

Finally! I had been waiting for this.

Phthisis

Beat this game last night, and have been thinking about it for more than 24 hours. For a game with little actual "gameplay" to speak of, it is an incredibly powerful and resonant piece of fiction. I also can't think of a game that uses licensed music to such poignant emotional effect; it's fucking poetic.

The casting for the characters was pretty amazing across the board. I am infinitely sad I will never be able to play it again for the first time. Such an engrossing, unique experience that tackles themes you don't see in video games.

Dontnod are really really good at world building; Remember Me had the same rich backdrop even though the gameplay wasn't particularly amazing. I really hope they come back to the Life Is Strange IP for a season 2 in some way.

Beat this game last night, and have been thinking about it for more than 24 hours. For a game with little actual "gameplay" to speak of, it is an incredibly powerful and resonant piece of fiction. I also can't think of a game that uses licensed music to such poignant emotional effect; it's fucking poetic.

The casting for the characters was pretty amazing across the board. I am infinitely sad I will never be able to play it again for the first time. Such an engrossing, unique experience that tackles themes you don't see in video games.

Dontnod are really really good at world building; Remember Me had the same rich backdrop even though the gameplay wasn't particularly amazing. I really hope they come back to the Life Is Strange IP for a season 2 in some way.
100% agree. The ending was powerful on many levels, and left me thinking about it for a while after. Didn't want to do anything but... contemplate. One of the most incredible games I've ever played, bar none.

Anyways, I believe LiS2 is confirmed to be in the works on some level, though it'll probably be a few years before we really see it.

Vampyr is DONTNOD's next game. It'll probably be closer to Remember Me in terms of gameplay. Hopefully it has that same trademark atmosphere and world-building though; they're certainly leaving a lot of room do it in in that title. I also have hopes it will have a fantastic story. (It's about the struggles of a vampire that's also a doctor, in plague-ravaged Victorian... London, or somesuch. A world where every life taken has a name and history behind it, affecting the world.)

Phthisis

100% agree. The ending was powerful on many levels, and left me thinking about it for a while after. Didn't want to do anything but... contemplate. One of the most incredible games I've ever played, bar none.

Anyways, I believe LiS2 is confirmed to be in the works on some level, though it'll probably be a few years before we really see it.

Vampyr is DONTNOD's next game. It'll probably be closer to Remember Me in terms of gameplay. Hopefully it has that same trademark atmosphere and world-building though; they're certainly leaving a lot of room do it in in that title. I also have hopes it will have a fantastic story. (It's about the struggles of a vampire that's also a doctor, in plague-ravaged Victorian... London, or somesuch. A world where every life taken has a name and history behind it, affecting the world.)

Yeah, I'm there day one for Vampyr. DONTNOD has established their style and pedigree and I know that I love it.

Tangentially, thanks to Life Is Strange, I can never not hear this song and feel my chest tighten up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYoINidnLRQ

ampere

Just bought this during the recent Steam sale and played it over the course of the past week.

Episode 1 was interesting, but started off kinda slow. It really picked up in Episode 2 and I was absolutely hooked and almost couldn't put it down. Just unbelievably real writing and really neat sci-fi intertwined. One of the few games to pull off time bending well. I really felt for the characters and cared about them. Found out about this game via my daily Steam queue and figured the really high reviews meant I should give it a shot. Really glad I did.

Spoilers (full game):
I'm not sure how I feel about the Max Payne-esque nightmare scenes in Episode 5, felt a little out of place, a little bit like filler. Although I guess if I look at it from a episodic release angle it was a decent recap of some of Max's conflicts and her relationship with Chloe. Mixed feelings on that part.

I had to save Chloe at the end. I briefly considered saving the town, but I felt like the relationship between Max and Chloe was so strong I couldn't bear breaking it and having Max bear this entire journey through time alone with no-one else aware of it and no-one to discuss it with. It was incredibly traumatic for her and she needs Chloe to get through it. I also felt that from Max's point of view... how do you truly know that letting Chloe die will fix everything?

Phthisis

Spoilers (full game):
I'm not sure how I feel about the Max Payne-esque nightmare scenes in Episode 5, felt a little out of place, a little bit like filler. Although I guess if I look at it from a episodic release angle it was a decent recap of some of Max's conflicts and her relationship with Chloe. Mixed feelings on that part.

It was pretty intentionally an homage to the David Lynchian weirdness of the final episode of Twin Peaks, like so much of the rest of the game and that show.

Top Bottom