• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subnautica |Early Access| Dive into an alien ocean of danger and beauty

Sarcasm

So having a blast again in the game, actually got further.

I have a bioreactor, powercell & battery charger, moonbase and seamoth. I am kind lost of how to find other stuff as I go pretty far....

Vintage

I haven't played a survival game in a very long time, but always wanted to, just didn't have a chance and didn't know which game is the best now.
Saw a video from Funhaus the other day, looked like fun, plus -40% on Steam sale, so I had to buy it. Also bought The Long dark, but haven't had time to play it.

Subnautica is really good. Looks great, controls fine, although it doesn't seem to have controller support.
I've only played several hours, but I'm hooked. Recently found areas with angry fishes, so things starts to get more tense. From 4 hours of gameplay I feel like I only scratch the surface - I see there's whole base building aspect which is still far away.
Inventory management is an annoyance, but it's probably necessary.
What I don't understand is how to craft some stuff - in tablet's blueprints tab there's recipes for various stuff, but in crafting station they don't appear - will there be another crafting bench for them?

Sarcasm

I found 2/3 of cyclops parts but this shroom bone had nothing now barely any lithium.. What do I do? Is there now then one biome? Any way to find an indicator for where they are?

Couldn't tell ya :/ You're much further than me.

Sorry I wrote that on mobile during my almost done break.

I was basically asking if:

1) Can a biome appear more then once?
2) Any way to tell if a biome is somewhere?

Aselith

Sorry I wrote that on mobile during my almost done break.

I was basically asking if:

1) Can a biome appear more then once?
2) Any way to tell if a biome is somewhere?

Here are the biomes

latest

You are currently in the Safe Shallows/Kelp Forest area

It's a static map and it's much bigger than it seems if you're early. I would focus on making the Seaglide as it can really help you get to higher depths and explore and you only need to make batteries to refresh it

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/SeaGlide

Built my first Seamoth. Giddy. Excited.

Followed found signal to an unknown cave in my new ride.

Discovered huge cavern full of giant bio luminescent mushrooms.

Seamoth implodes from depth pressure.

Disappointed.

FunnyJay

Neo Member
Bought this in the steam sale.

Pondering whether to play with or without the survival aspect. What do you guys prefer?

epmode

Pondering whether to play with or without the survival aspect. What do you guys prefer?

I've tried playing with full survival elements a few times and I've found that the meters drop too quickly for me to have fun exploring stuff. However, I hear that staying on top of basic necessities is much easier after some tech upgrades. I never got to that point, though, because I'm waiting for the full release before starting a real playthrough.

I'll say that the Freedom mode (survival elements turned off) is a little disappointing since I always get the sense that I'm missing out on some interesting mechanics.

I prefer survival mode - it's way, way more relaxed in this game than in most of the genre. Most of the stress in the early game comes from oxygen management - food and drink aren't really an issue since you start in a bountiful piece of ocean. Once you get your O2 tank and have a few bubble corals memorised, it pretty smooth if you don't take unnecessary risks.

Survival makes building your own home much more satisfying when you get everything nice and self-sustained.

Survival, it makes underwater spelunking actually intimidating

the survival in this game isn't a chore like in other games (constantly having to get more food/water) , it's more about how far you dare go with your oxygen

Sarcasm

SO I have a question as I need to get deeper into areas.

I just built the cyclops and noticed it can go to 500m. Now my seamoth got the basic upgrade for a depth of 300m.

I can not take my seamoth into the cyclops and go below 300m as it would explode in the cyclops or at least when it exits, right?

But I need something from the deep side to upgrade depth of the seamoth...

Also there are only a few upgrades for cyclops? I thought the modification station would show it if I installed it within the cyclops but nope.

SO I have a question as I need to get deeper into areas.

I just built the cyclops and noticed it can go to 500m. Now my seamoth got the basic upgrade for a depth of 300m.

I can not take my seamoth into the cyclops and go below 300m as it would explode in the cyclops or at least when it exits, right?

But I need something from the deep side to upgrade depth of the seamoth...

Also there are only a few upgrades for cyclops? I thought the modification station would show it if I installed it within the cyclops but nope.

I can't remember needing anything from below 300 meters to upgrade the Sea Moth - do you mean aluminium oxide?
You can find it on the edge of the Grand Reef, no need to descent all the way down into it.

There are not many upgrades for the Cyclops but note that you can build a lot of stuff inside it, effectively making it your base of operations.

Sarcasm

I can't remember needing anything from below 300 meters to upgrade the Sea Moth - do you mean aluminium oxide?
You can find it on the edge of the Grand Reef, no need to descent all the way down into it.

There are not many upgrades for the Cyclops but note that you can build a lot of stuff inside it, effectively making it your base of operations.

I can't find any, its the area under floating island right? Rear of aurora?

I can't find any, its the area under floating island right? Rear of aurora?

Just head south-west-west from the tail section of the Aurora (or head in the direction the exhaust ports are pointing) until you hit the edge of the grand reef (which you can recognize by the blue membrain trees.)
The aluminium crystals grow against the steep walls of the reef, which you can reach by swimming while keeping the Sea Moth above crushing depth.

NH Apache

Banned
Bought this game last night and I never thought I would get so much anxiety from swimming around. I get similar anxiety IRL, but damn I'm in freedom mode, this shouldn't be happening.

Really enjoying it too

Sarcasm

How is the controller in the update update? I usually don't use them but it may help in this.

I prefer KBM in games liek Elite even heh.

epmode

With every update, I get progressively more disappointed that they went with Unity. The game is so goddamned good that it's a shame to see it marred by performance issues that plague most large-scale Unity games. The big stutters whenever the game streams in new assets are still a thing, and I don't think they're going away.

Tenck

Is there a good playthrough of the beginning? I'd like to check something out to get an idea of what to do, and then I'd like to branch out on my own.

With every update, I get progressively more disappointed that they went with Unity. The game is so goddamned good that it's a shame to see it marred by performance issues that plague most large-scale Unity games. The big stutters whenever the game streams in new assets are still a thing, and I don't think they're going away.

Yeah, there's some small hope in me that still thinks that maybe performance can be improved, but they're so far into the game with the engine that I doubt it will ever happen.

Jotnar Base is coming along nicely... built around and through the giant mushroom in the Mushroom Forest. The inner observatories have a nice view of the bio-luminescent cave fungi.

HTdX3CY.jpg

ultrazilla

I'm a big critic of the Unity Engine but I will admit Subnautica is running great on it, at least on my rig. Smooth, tight controls, great animation, rock solid framerates and graphics and effects that can hang with UE4 imo.

Even if you missed the Steam summer sale of the game, it's every bit worth the $20 and the developers are constantly updating the game with tons of content and are active with the community.

The game is early access but is very far along the development process and I have no fears that the game will not get finished*glances at DayZ*.

Dive in!

OneUh8

This game looks so good. I almost bought it during the summer sale. Held off though. I will be looking for it in the winter sale for sure.

epmode

I'm a big critic of the Unity Engine but I will admit Subnautica is running great on it, at least on my rig. Smooth, tight controls, great animation, rock solid framerates and graphics and effects that can hang with UE4 imo.
You mean that you can swim in one direction for ~30 seconds and NOT get a stutter as the game loads in new objects? I don't believe it. My game will pause for a split second just before I see new foliage pop in, and it's done that since the earliest days of the alpha.

Even beyond the stutter, your character's position is updated at 60hz even if you're running over 60 FPS so I have to switch my monitor to 60hz to keep things consistent.

Aside from that stuff, I agree that the game looks great and animates well.

ultrazilla

You mean that you can swim in one direction for ~30 seconds and NOT get a stutter as the game loads in new objects? I don't believe it. My game will pause for a split second just before I see new foliage pop in, and it's done that since the earliest days of the alpha.

Even beyond the stutter, your character's position is updated at 60hz even if you're running over 60 FPS so I have to switch my monitor to 60hz to keep things consistent.

I'll have to fire the game up and watch closely for stutter but I don't recall ever dealing with it to a degree I can detect it. :)

Mindlog

Jotnar Base is coming along nicely... built around and through the giant mushroom in the Mushroom Forest. The inner observatories have a nice view of the bio-luminescent cave fungi.

http://i.imgur.com/HTdX3CY.jpg
Nice base. Looks like a proper underwater complex.

That has to be hell in VR mode. The shame is that aside from the Unity issues one of Subnautica's best qualities is how polished it is compared to other survival/builder games.

KodiakGT

Love this game. Finally got a Cyclops, now starting to do some more in depth exploration aside from the few Biomes I've done so far. It's interesting how much the open ocean creeps me out in this game, definitely adds a lot of tension once I leave the starting area. Have to use quicksaves frequently just to not be a nervous wreck!

datamage

Yup. I get the same thing, and I have the game on an SSD. It's the only thing that makes the experience in VR less immersive. It seems to hiccup regardless of settings.

Oare

Damn it.
Seamoth is making me nauseous. Whenever I move the mouse, the Seamoth doesn't follow immediately; as if my eyes were moving first and the hull was lagging a bit behind.
Am I doing something wrong?

noomi

Just found out about this game. Had no idea it was from Unknown Worlds.... i was a huge fan of the original Natural Selection.

Either way... missed the steam sale, I totally would have bought it. Still possible to get this somewhere for cheaper than $20?

mdzapeer

Just built my seamoth what an amazing feeling. Went to the Aurora aND met it....damn.

Amazing game it needs more prais amd sales.

SomTervo

Anyone here play with the HTC Vive? I'm really keen on giving it a blast but I heard support was pretty meagre, and I'm not sure if I'm keen on mouse control with full-VR. Might just play it in SteamVR Theatre.

It's also friggin terrifying.

I've never been good with depths, and never good with the ocean.

This game gives me the legit shits.

Here are the biomes

latest

You are currently in the Safe Shallows/Kelp Forest area

It's a static map and it's much bigger than it seems if you're early. I would focus on making the Seaglide as it can really help you get to higher depths and explore and you only need to make batteries to refresh it

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/SeaGlide

Oh, so the game isn't procedurally generated? For some reason I assumed it was.

Fantastic game anyway.

At least there's apparently that Unity update on the horizon which is going to improve threading capabilities and hopefully boost performance magnificently on all platforms? Might not work retroactively on older titles, though.

Subnautica on PC runs great in VR at max settings, on a 390X. I actually find it hard to believe there are performance issues at all on this game, even if it is early access.

System specs for reference:

390X 8GB
16GB DDR4

With that said I must warn you all that the artificial locomotion will likely cause nausea. I have not had a single VR game make me nauseous but after playing subnautica on the Vive (using the Revive Injector) I felt sick for an hour after playing the game.

The frame rates were solid so it was more so the locomotion combined with constant up down movements while swimming that did it.

Tunahead

I'm really struggling with base building. I started out by building a flat bit, a room bit, and an entrance bit, which caused my survival knife to disappear. After returning from my tedious journey to build a new survival knife, I went inside and discovered I had multiple hull breaches, despite having base hp to spare. I built a welder to repair the hull breeches, which caused my survival knife to disappear. After an increasingly annoying journey to gather survival knife materials, I installed some solar panels, which caused my survival knife to disappear. After the base had finished draining, I was satisfied with it for about five seconds, which is when some asshole arrived and started camping the base and poisoning me through the walls. So now I have to dismantle my as yet thankfully small base and rebuild it somewhere else, which will cause my survival knife to disappear. Any suggestions for a base location? I'd prefer it if it was as far away as possible from any farting dickface manatees, and also as close as possible to the kelp forest, for obvious reasons. Please be careful with your answers, as they may cause my survival knife to disappear.

There's also a bug in this game that makes my survival knife disappear. Perhaps you've heard of this. It usually happens when I build tools or base parts. Is there any way around this? At present I'm getting about 25% worth of durability out of a survival knife if I'm quick, but then I have to build something and that causes my survival knife to disappear, don't know if I mentioned that earlier.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really struggling with base building. I started out by building a flat bit, a room bit, and an entrance bit, which caused my survival knife to disappear. After returning from my tedious journey to build a new survival knife, I went inside and discovered I had multiple hull breaches, despite having base hp to spare. I built a welder to repair the hull breeches, which caused my survival knife to disappear. After an increasingly annoying journey to gather survival knife materials, I installed some solar panels, which caused my survival knife to disappear. After the base had finished draining, I was satisfied with it for about five seconds, which is when some asshole arrived and started camping the base and poisoning me through the walls. So now I have to dismantle my as yet thankfully small base and rebuild it somewhere else, which will cause my survival knife to disappear. Any suggestions for a base location? I'd prefer it if it was as far away as possible from any farting dickface manatees, and also as close as possible to the kelp forest, for obvious reasons. Please be careful with your answers, as they may cause my survival knife to disappear.

There's also a bug in this game that makes my survival knife disappear. Perhaps you've heard of this. It usually happens when I build tools or base parts. Is there any way around this? At present I'm getting about 25% worth of durability out of a survival knife if I'm quick, but then I have to build something and that causes my survival knife to disappear, don't know if I mentioned that earlier.

Try reloading? http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137089/diving-knife-disappears-until-reloading-save

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Been following this game for a while, seems like it's shaping up to be the spiritual successor to Endless Ocean 2 I've always wanted.

Top Bottom