• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

drotahorror

Is there any footage where the game doesn't look so hazy/washed out? Or is that just the intended artstyle? The game would really pop with deeper colors.

ReyVGM

Is there any footage where the game doesn't look so hazy/washed out? Or is that just the intended artstyle? The game would really pop with deeper colors.

Hazy is because of low quality youtube videos. Washed out, that's how the livestream looked.

If you watch direct feed videos, it looks much better. Or even the recorded videos Nintendo has of the livestream, they look much better than how the actual livestream looked.

Caelus

Off screen = worthless for judging image quality. Too many steps that involve distortion and image processing that significantly skew the final result.

I'd say it better reflects how it might look on someone's TV, usually the case when comparing raw footage of games vs. my screen. The real colors of the game can be seen in higher quality direct-feed footage and screenshots.

plank

Just a little recap. So far we've seen:

Playable demo:​
Bokoblins (red) - basic grunt-type enemies carrying various weapons
Bokoblins (blue) - elite version
Stalbokoblins - skeleton that appear at night in groups
Blue Chus - split into smaller Chus when hit with a sharp weapon.
Keese - bats (we've seen those, right?)
Ice Keese - bats with ice-aura
Mini-Guardian - found in Shrines, agile, shoots beam
Guardian (stationary) - reminiscent of a Beamos

Video only:​
Guardian (mobile) - aggressive pursuer, lots of hp
Purple troll enemy - big dude, seems to act alone

Unique:​
Steppe Talus - big rock enemy, hidden
Big Skeleton Thing in the desert (video only)

#########

Remember, that's all just in the starting area and some tiny hints in the trailer.

You forgot the Ice Chus that explode in your face and freeze you when you hit them.

ReyVGM

Nice, I just noticed that the "lake" near the north-east of the map is actually the gate entrance to the Great Plateau, but now it's filled with water. One of the cutscenes shows the Great Plateau from afar, and you can see the huge gate entrance, and the water behind it.

I wonder if you can dive in this game and I wonder if there's something down there at the bottom of the water?

TheMoon

You forgot the Ice Chus that explode in your face and freeze you when you hit them.

I haven't actually seen those :O :O

Updated enemy recap. So far we've seen:

Playable demo:​
Bokoblins (red) - basic grunt-type enemies carrying various weapons
Bokoblins (blue) - elite version with lots more health
Stalbokoblins - skeletons that appear at night in groups
Blue Chus - split into smaller Chus when hit with a sharp weapon
Ice Chus - explode in your face and freeze you when you hit them
Keese - bats (we've seen those, right?)
Ice Keese - bats with ice-aura
Mini-Guardian - found in Shrines, agile, shoots beam
Guardian (stationary) - reminiscent of a Beamos

Video only:​
Guardian (mobile) - aggressive pursuer, lots of hp
Purple troll enemy - big dude, seems to act alone

Unique:​
Steppe Talus - big rock enemy, hidden
Big Skeleton Thing in the desert (video only)

#########

Remember, that's all just in the starting area and some tiny hints in the trailer.

Luigiv

I'd say it better reflects how it might look on someone's TV, usually the case when comparing raw footage of games vs. my screen. The real colors of the game can be seen in higher quality direct-feed footage and screenshots.

Unless you have digital cameras for eyes, no.

Let's put this in perspective.

When you see a game directly on your own screen:

Lossless image -> Your screen's image processing and optical distortion -> Your eyes

When you watch a master recording of direct feed footage

Lossless image -> Lossy Compression -> Your screen's image processing and optical distortion -> Your eyes

When you watch direct feed footage on youtube:

Lossless image -> Lossy compression -> Youtube's super lossy compression -> Your screen's image processing and optical distortion -> Your eyes

Now when you watch off screen footage of a projected video on youtube you get:

Lossless image -> Lossy Compression -> Projector's image processing on optical distortion -> Camera Lenses Optical distortion -> Camera sensor's colour interpolation and image processing -> Camera's lossy compression -> Youtube's Super Lossy Compression -> Your screen's image processing and optical distortion -> Your eyes

Needless to say, no, off screen is in no way shape or form accurate to what you would actually see (or if it was it'd be totally coincidental and would not be something that happened often).

Eradicate

Oh, thank you very much! I'm capturing it now to GIF it unless someone beats me first.

Looks like a huge guardian to me.

You may be right...the thing is huge though, that's for sure!

KJcwuJ4.jpg

Eradicate

Which reminds me, do the binoculars now have gyro or not?

I'm not sure, but last I heard was that they did/could use gyro. It'd be pretty nice if they did offer it!

0Bz5KO0.gif

There it is! It's really big, and it's moving around at a pretty good clip!

There it is! It's really big, and it's moving around at a pretty good clip!
Yeah, those legs, that's definitely some sort of guardian. I think we can expect different types of those things.

Dream Time:
Remember the Goht fight in Majora's Mask? How about a similar boss-fight against that thing around the Death Montain peak? Would that be awesome?

BowieZ

Banned
I still think this is centuries after Wind Waker, and set 100 years after a significant event we know almost nothing about.

Not even counting the koroks or the ancient rock salt:

- land is possibly eroded away from the Great Sea (except of course Hyrule which was protected for longer against erosion)
- manmade plateau reinforcements don't look the same as the Skyward Sword variety... could just be reinforcements to keep the ancient Hyrule land safe (for a time) from predators and further erosion
- rusted sword (possibly moved to a glen to recover, or just a flashback scene)
- blue outfit very similar to TWW (ocean colors?)
- old man really looks like (a descendent of?) the King of Red Lions (who could have easily survived the final Hyrule flooding in boat form)
- guardians are octopus-like, perhaps designed during the Great Flood (or afterwards to ensure Ganon's body wasn't approached...)
- for what it's worth, Link had sideburns in TWW too.

HylianTom

Banned
I still think this is centuries after Wind Waker, and set 100 years after a significant event we know almost nothing about.

Not even counting the koroks or the ancient rock salt:

- land is possibly eroded away from the Great Sea (except of course Hyrule which was protected for longer against erosion)
- manmade plateau reinforcements don't look the same as the Skyward Sword variety... could just be reinforcements to keep the ancient Hyrule land safe (for a time) from predators and further erosion
- rusted sword (possibly moved to a glen to recover, or just a flashback scene)
- blue outfit very similar to TWW (ocean colors?)
- old man really looks like (a descendent of?) the King of Red Lions (who could have easily survived the final Hyrule flooding in boat form)
- guardians are octopus-like, perhaps designed during the Great Flood (or afterwards to ensure Ganon's body wasn't approached...)
- for what it's worth, Link had sideburns in TWW too.

Is it me, or is the top of the Old Man's cane shaped like the King of Red Lions? (Vaguely.. the curvature reminds me)

Also: The bokoblin treasure chests have orange tassels on them. The last time we saw orange tassels on anything was in the Wind Waker, on Moblins' spears.

Eradicate

Sweet - thank you for this! I've been collecting these vids and watching them almost every day, taking notes on the map..

Oh, you must share your notes sometime! It's crazy we've seen so little so far and it's all so huge!

Is it me, or is the top of the Old Man's can shaped like the King of Red Lions?

I rewatched the video and you're right:

Sorry, I couldn't resist! I do kind of see a bit of a resemblance though!

That reminds me is there a consensus on what this is:

Its hard to spot but if you watch the video at X0.25 speed you can see it moving. A couple of us thought it looked like a biggoron but it might be some type of monster.

https://youtu.be/1rPxiXXxftE?t=130

UJbckZN.jpg

Ooooh, I don't know! If I see any other playthroughs or anything that have this snowy area and can get a good look up there, I'll share!

HylianTom

Banned
Oh, you must share your notes sometime! It's crazy we've seen so little so far and it's all so huge!

I rewatched the video and you're right:

Sorry, I couldn't resist! I do kind of see a bit of a resemblance though!
ha!

I had taken a shoddy screencap a while back..
44B69812-8519-4422-8462-51C8990D2D93.jpg

That's uncanny..

TheMoon

That reminds me is there a consensus on what this is:

Its hard to spot but if you watch the video at X0.25 speed you can see it moving. A couple of us thought it looked like a biggoron but it might be some type of monster.

https://youtu.be/1rPxiXXxftE?t=130

UJbckZN.jpg

Yea, possible Biggoron, I guess.

Ooooh, I don't know! If I see any other playthroughs or anything that have this snowy area and can get a good look up there, I'll share!

This is not on the Plateau (see enemy).

One detail that I like for stealth games is that "Oh Shit" moment when the enemy does something you don't expect. Somehow they've translated that here with the audio system because if you make too much noise, but not enough, you can wake up enemies but still not have them notice you and I love that. That's such a nice detail for just an action adventure.

Also apparently, some item effects still act as you would expect under stasis, for example, hitting a fallen Tree under stasis with an axe will not send it flying but instead turn it into Firewood. However, you can stasis things like Explosive barrels so if you want to delay explosions or shoot explosives a far distance via catapult, you can do that and the noise that generates will alert enemies and have them move so you can do some stealth or extra long range warfare. I mean you can use trees for warfare.

Goddamn this game and all of its interconnecting systems.

TheMoon

One detail that I like for stealth games is that "Oh Shit" moment when the enemy does something you don't expect. Somehow they've translated that here with the audio system because if you make too much noise, but not enough, you can wake up enemies but still not have them notice you and I love that. That's such a nice detail for just an action adventure.

Also apparently, some item effects still act as you would expect under stasis, for example, hitting a fallen Tree under stasis with an axe will not send it flying but instead turn it into Firewood. However, you can stasis things like Explosive barrels so if you want to delay explosions or shoot explosives a far distance via catapult, you can do that and the noise that generates will alert enemies and have them move so you can do some stealth or extra long range warfare. I mean you can use trees for warfare.

Goddamn this game and all of its interconnecting systems.

Can't come up with a use for that that is different from just having it explode on impact after catapulting.

Can't come up with a use for that that is different from just having it explode on impact after catapulting.

It basically gives you a benefit even if you miss, you can distract them and take out a tricky guard in theory. But still, you can shoot trees at your enemies, how is that not awesome.

the clip in the trailer where we see link creeping in tall grass and leaping on to a wild horse seems to display the games color palette at its most vibrant. Im assuming this is due to it being around midday during the games day/night cycle with the dynamic weather being devoid of clouds. part of me wants it to be this way very often, but another part of me appreciates that the weather system will dictate when this is the case and it will always be a joyous reminder when it comes together

the clip in the trailer where we see link creeping in tall grass and leaping on to a wild horse seems to display the games color palette at its most vibrant. Im assuming this is due to it being around midday during the games day/night cycle with the dynamic weather being devoid of clouds. part of me wants it to be this way very often, but another part of me appreciates that the weather system will dictate when this is the case and it will always be a joyous reminder when it comes together

The low level of detail in the background really hurts this shot, though. I hope they fix this in the NX.

yea, shame Aonuma didnt try and recreate this scene with more highly detailed textures in the background, because the animations are MASTER CLASS, and these dudes dont start from mocap foundations as far as i know

balgajo

Thinking about it and I'm really in a dilemma. Want to play it on NX but also want it midnight. NX probably won't be avaiable day one in Brazil.
Nintendo could let us play the digital version in both systems. This way I could start playing it on Wii U and when NX arrives I'd continue my save on it.

TheMoon

Thinking about it and I'm really in a dilemma. Want to play it on NX but also want it midnight. NX probably won't be avaiable day one in Brazil.
Nintendo could let us play the digital version in both systems. This way I could start playing it on Wii U and when NX arrives I'd continue my save on it.

You're assuming this is a day-1 NX launch game which is in no way confirmed (but obviously a likely and logical thing to at least aim for on their part).

Not sure if this has been posted already but Nintendo life posted a video of game play from viewers suggestions. Including trying to ride a boulder from staysis.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KOWuP9I7o

So the physics worked as they should, the speed of the boulder knocks link off and makes it impossible to hold on.

So exactly what I said would happen, lol. I'm glad someone put a pin on the floating whatever and opened the map so we could see where it is.

Top Bottom