• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

marmoka

Banned
Uncharted 1 and 2 are boring, and both suck. I don't understand how this franchise became so popular.

Sonic 3D Blast, Unleashed and Lost World are good games. Adventure games suck. Chao Garden is useless. Sonic 2006 is Adventure 3 with another name.

Tearaway is boring, and stetically very similar to Paper Mario.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is repetitive and worse than the original.

Majora's Mask, a dark and mature game? That's a joke.

Persona games have horrible soundtracks.

Arkham Origins is actually a pretty good game.

The Deadshot fight has me mad enough that I now just want to rush the ending, though. Takes forever, then "LOL 1-shot game over" at the end. Kindly fuck yourself, game.

These are stupid comparisons made by stupid people:

oW4XwtW.jpg
mOSNJUmv-L4.jpg

Tain

1. It's getting increasingly harder/impossible to legally obtain and run them. Many new remasters don't include the original game and no one is putting any effort into making those older games available to the public (besides sites like GoG and a few publishers.)

2. It's about legacy. These remakes replace the original for newer gamers. In a few years time, these new remakes will pretty much be the only version to play and the only version in the public conscious, even for rather serious gamers. I already know self-described hardcore gamers who refuse to play NES games out of principle. The old originals will be thrown out and forgotten. It's not so much "who's preventing me from playing the older games", as "who's disincentivizes everyone from enjoying classics." I mean, movies do remakes as well, but at least they're sold as bringing a new vision to the original, and not as replacing it. If the remakes in games worked like that, I'd be much less pissed about them.

I can get behind this. Have you seen Frank Cifaldi's GDC talk on emulation? It's really good. http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023470/-It-s-Just-Emulation

Uncharted 1 and 2 are boring, and both suck. I don't understand how this franchise became so popular.

Yep. One day, Naughty Dog will make a game that actually deserves half of the praise that their games usually get. One day.

Sonic 3D Blast, Unleashed and Lost World are good games. Adventure games suck. Chao Garden is useless. Sonic 2006 is Adventure 3 with another name.

Honestly, I enjoyed Lost World more than either Galaxy game. I wouldn't call it a better game straight up, but I definitely had more fun with it. It is legitimately a good game.

I agree with most of the rest of this except for 3D Blast being good. It's not bad, but I wouldn't call it good.

Melchiah

There's some sampling bias there, since parents will often use the eShop instead of kids.

Here's the link.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224449/Wii_U_eShop_audience_is_93_percent_male_18plus.php
Nintendo of America's Damon Baker shared some interesting demographics about the audience for Wii U downloadable games on the Nintendo eShop: They're primarily 18-plus, and 93 percent male.

While those stats don't cover the console's overall audience, they do paint a picture of its most engaged fans. "Looking at this, you might be surprised. Nintendo is known as a very kid-friendly, family-friendly console," Baker says. "What the audience is in a digital landscape, you'll see that it's very similar to what you see on Steam, what you see on the other consoles."

I've looked at that data before, and every time someone posts it, I'm not sure why they bother.

That analysis is bunk. The data doesn't tell us anything certain about the most engaged fans and their demographics. It tells us that the individual in the house that created an account and put their credit card info are 18+ and male. So arguably, dads.

That's a pretty poor way of making an argument.

Hell, let's even assume that it's true. There's nothing to tell us that PS4/Xbox don't have similar demographics, except for the usual "tales from my anecdotal ass" that people spread around.
nofunallowed.jpg?

Anectodal evidence, but the only people I know sweating an NX right now are 30+ while my nephews and friends' nephews are Minecraft/Call of Duty freaks who think Xbox/PS are way cooler than Nintendo.
It's not funny, it's dumb shit. It's the usual "Nintendo games are for real adults, and your shooters/etc are for kids" nonsense that helps make the Nintendo fanbase one of the most consistently insufferable fanbases, right along weebs, PCMRs and Apple fanatics.

And this is exactly what I was talking about with anecdotal evidence. Complete and total tales from the ass that prove nothing. Conversely, I know no one over the age of 24 remotely interested in the NX (actually I only have one friend who's a Nintendo fanboy who's interested), all of my adult friends (18+) are PS4/PC gamers, and I know no kids that play on consoles anymore.

Wheeeeeeeee

RedSwirl

Metroid: Other M is actually a pretty playable game for what it is. Its controls feel very tight and responsive, despite being restricted to the Wii Remote's D-pad. Its level design is also not terrible.

Melchiah

It's not funny, it's dumb shit. It's the usual "Nintendo games are for real adults, and your shooters/etc are for kids" nonsense that helps make the Nintendo fanbase one of the most consistently insufferable fanbases, right along weebs, PCMRs and Apple fanatics.

And this is exactly what I was talking about with anecdotal evidence. Complete and total tales from the ass that prove nothing. Conversely, I know no one over the age of 24 remotely interested in the NX (actually I only have one friend who's a Nintendo fanboy who's interested), all of my adult friends (18+) are PS4/PC gamers, and I know no kids that play on consoles anymore.

Oh, you meant it from that point of view. It appears we have nothing to argue about then, as I pretty much look at it the same way. Although, I disagree with the fanbase age. There's a plenty of Nintendo fans on Gaf, and I'd wager most of them are +18, and have started to look fondly towards the company since SNES-N64 days.

As for my anecdotal view, there's about half a dozen Nintendo fans among my 30-40 years old friends, who tend to play on the old systems. I don't think any of them own the Wii U though.

jettpack

I prefer Uncharted 3 to uncharted 2...

My major one tho... Is that I often like first person platforming, GIMME THEM JUMPING PUZZLES

I think Umbrella Corps is one of the most brilliant tactical online shooters I have ever played.I was baffled by the lack of understanding of the game's systems from "professional" reviewers and saddened by seeing a lot of gamers jumping on the hate bandwagon.

Granted the game is hard to get into and plays differently from anything out there.
A mortal sin in this day and age.

It took two hours for the game to click for me but I have been having a blast ever since.

If you are not afraid of investing a bit of time and own a controller, give it a shot.

Zweisy1

Naughty Dog's work does NOT deserve the kind of ridiculously high scores they are getting. They are undoubtedly well made from technical viewpoint but just so empty and undynamic and flat out dull when it comes to gameplay and mechanics.

Nor are they high marks in videogame storytelling when things like Grim Fandango and Planescape Torment exist.

Tain

These are stupid comparisons made by stupid people:

Very agreed.

And on the subject of dumb joke-but-not-really images, that "FPS in 1993 vs FPS 2010" image that people still love to bust out is so, so stupid:

B-PaiSVIUAA0l-P.png

Taking the entirety of a stage's geometry (which is simple enough to be represented by a fairly small image, even) to represent the former and then simplifying the latter (which is generally a sequence of arenas) down to a line is the dumbest shit. It represents weak-ass criticism and, as a huge action game fan, priorities that I don't find value in.

Manu

Very agreed.

And on the subject of dumb joke-but-not-really images, that "FPS in 1993 vs FPS 2010" image that people still love to bust out is so, so stupid:

B-PaiSVIUAA0l-P.png

Taking the entirety of a stage's geometry (which is simple enough to be represented by a fairly small image, even) to represent the former and then simplifying the latter (which is generally a sequence of arenas) down to a line is the dumbest shit. It represents weak-ass criticism and, as a huge action game fan, priorities that I don't find value in.

It's as bad as the Mona Lisa DLC one.

Very agreed.

B-PaiSVIUAA0l-P.png

Oh my dear Lord.

I hate that stupid FPS image too. It's the absolute worst. I'll admit that in many cases, there are shooters where the game basically feels like a hallway, but come on. We don't need to outright lie about modern FPS to get a point across or to critique them.

Entirely anecdotal, but it's true based on my experience. Most of the people my age who are still into gaming prefer to game on Nintendo's consoles.
Entirely anecdotal, but it's not true based on my experience. Most of the people my age who are still into gaming prefer to game on PC and occasionally PS4.

Great, that got us so far.
And the diminishing returns one.
UGH.

That one is terrible too, because people who bring it up know all of jack-shit regarding the technical aspects of the industry.

Nabbis

Entirely anecdotal, but it's true based on my experience. Most of the people my age who are still into gaming prefer to game on Nintendo's consoles.

I have never seen a kid play Pokemon yet i know plenty 20+ people that do. Im not sure kids here even know what Pokemon is anymore.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Entirely anecdotal, but it's not true based on my experience. Most of the people my age who are still into gaming prefer to game on PC and occasionally PS4.

Great, that got us so far.

UGH.

That one is terrible too, because people who bring it up know all of jack-shit regarding the technical aspects of the industry.

I have a feeling I'm a tad older than you. (A few of the 20 year olds I work with do prefer PC gaming to Nintendo, but those mid 30's people that are closer to my age are all about Nintendo, even if they play other games - I'm involved in a lot of local retro gaming communities, too, so obviously the people there would be more into Nintendo than say PC gaming... [even in the retro community, PC retro is super obscure]). Though I will also disagree with you on the 'diminishing returns' thing - the leap between PS3/360 and PS4/XB1 was probably the smallest yet, and dev costs are continuing to grow rapidly. This gen is a bit different because the most powerful console 'won', but as the Wii and past winners prove, graphics power isn't nearly everything anymore.

I have never seen a kid play Pokemon yet i know plenty 20+ people that do. Im not sure kids here even know what Pokemon is anymore.

At my friend's game store I'll see everyone from little kids to 30+ year olds asking for Pokemon games.

I have a feeling I'm a tad older than you. (A few of the 20 year olds I work with do prefer PC gaming to Nintendo, but those mid 30's people that are closer to my age are all about Nintendo, even if they play other games - I'm involved in a lot of local retro gaming communities, too, so obviously the people there would be more into Nintendo than say PC gaming... [even in the retro community, PC retro is super obscure]). Though I will also disagree with you on the 'diminishing returns' thing - the leap between PS3/360 and PS4/XB1 was probably the smallest yet, and dev costs are continuing to grow rapidly. This gen is a bit different because the most powerful console 'won', but as the Wii and past winners prove, graphics power isn't nearly everything anymore.
You may be older than me, as I just graduated college.

Thing is, within my circle of friends, there are a bunch of mid-30s fellows that we hang out with. A few of them are big PS4 guys, and the rest are PC people. I really don't see this big "older Nintendo" crowd that is so vaunted on this forum. It always seems like pure selection bias at its absolute finest.

Melchiah

While many of my 30-40 years old friends play, they don't all play Nintendo's games, eventhough there are several who do. They even arranged a retro Nintendo tournament few years ago. Unfortunately, I couldn't partake in it, as I imagine it was a fun weekend with all the alcohol involved.

As for the last generational leap, I was personally more amazed by it than the previous one. Partly because I used to play on PC before the PS3 launch. For the PC players this gen might have felt similar, but I don't think many PC games can match the visual quality of The Order, Uncharted 4, and Driveclub.

petran79

Banned

Depends whether their childhood was Nintendo dominated or not.
Where I live adults of that age usually play on PCs, mobiles and Playstations

Melchiah

Depends whether their childhood was Nintendo dominated or not.
Where I live adults of that age usually play on PCs, mobiles and Playstations

Around here, people of my age started with either C64/Amiga or Nintendo system, depending on where they lived. Many of the former group moved on to PlayStation or PC.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
1. It's getting increasingly harder/impossible to legally obtain and run them. Many new remasters don't include the original game and no one is putting any effort into making those older games available to the public (besides sites like GoG and a few publishers.)

2. It's about legacy. These remakes replace the original for newer gamers. In a few years time, these new remakes will pretty much be the only version to play and the only version in the public conscious, even for rather serious gamers. I already know self-described hardcore gamers who refuse to play NES games out of principle. The old originals will be thrown out and forgotten. It's not so much "who's preventing me from playing the older games", as "who's disincentivizes everyone from enjoying classics." I mean, movies do remakes as well, but at least they're sold as bringing a new vision to the original, and not as replacing it. If the remakes in games worked like that, I'd be much less pissed about them.
I'm very late with this reply. You actually make some good points, and to be honest I don't disagree. I wish we could have both things, remakes and original versions, easily available at the same time. It's a sad thing that the original release may get lost forever.

Still, if the remake is good, I don't really see it as a bad thing if it replaces the original game in most people's minds. For example, I believe Zero Mission renders the first Metroid obsolete. The latter may be worth playing for nostalgia purposes or because it's a classic, but I would never recommend it over the former.

petran79

Banned
I'm very late with this reply. You actually make some good points, and to be honest I don't disagree. I wish we could have both things, remakes and original versions, easily available at the same time. It's a sad thing that the original release may get lost forever.

Still, if the remake is good, I don't really see it as a bad thing if it replaces the original game in most people's minds. For example, I believe Zero Mission renders the first Metroid obsolete. The latter may be worth playing for nostalgia purposes or because it's a classic, but I would never recommend it over the former.

Sometimes remakes are so different from the originals that it is essential to play the first one.

Eg having played the PSP remake of Corpse Party, I had to visit the original game.
I found it much more enjoyable, without all that patching of ghost stories, psychological thriller and gore elements found in the remakes.
More info here:

http://www.memoriesoffear.com/games_corpsepartypc98/index.html

Bakkus

'This game hasn't aged well therefore it doesn't deserve to be as high ranked as it is in *insert list here*' is a totally reasonable argument to make.

Bakkus

As long as someone explains specifically what they mean by "aged well", then sure.

I think about how said games hold up compared to later released games that share the same genre/franchise. There are for example lots of early 3D games on 64 and PS1 that don't come out well if you compare them to games released the following generation. And in my opinion, same goes for lots of NES games too when you compare them to their SNES counterparts. That still doesn't stop tons of these games from often cracking top 50, top 20, or even top 10 lists for the greatest games of all time which is then undeserved in my opinion.

x Lord Revan x

Neo Member
This is an obvious exaggeration, but I feel the following games are practically the same:

GTA, Sunset Overdrive, Watchdogs, Assassin's Creed, Saint's Row, Dead Rising, Crackdown, Watchdogs, Just Cause, Infamous, etc.

1)I don't think Nintendo has a good clear direction on the NX. I feel like they are bumbling around with really stupid ideas but telling the public they don't wanna show it yet because their great ideas may be stolen. Meanwhile, behind the scenes they are probably trying to implement technology and game mechanics from 10 years ago like they are new things. The operate in a weirdo vacuum.

2) After playing Southpark Stick of Truth on PS4 recently I think it's quite a bit better than the majority of RPGs out there.

3) Fighting games should all be about $15. No way they have nearly the content or work put into them as most other genres.

4) Special editions with a statue are ridiculous wastes of money and rarely look halfway decent. Unless you like having a statue version of your favorite gaming character after a stroke.

Meanwhile, behind the scenes they are probably trying to implement technology and game mechanic

This is the part that confuses me most about Nintendo. They're so behind the times yet apparently everything they do is revolutionary? People are losing their shit over the new Zelda's fire/wind physics and see-saw/pivot physics when we've seen those since Far Cry 2 (2008) and Half Life 2 (2004) respectively.

That's not controversial, that's just plain ignorant.

Why is it ignorant? Compare any fighting game to something like Witcher, Zelda, Deus Ex, GTA, or any full priced game with tons of content. How can it possibly compete? Solely on gameplay? There's a reason fighting games have languished lately.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This is the part that confuses me most about Nintendo. They're so behind the times yet apparently everything they do is revolutionary? People are losing their shit over the new Zelda's fire/wind physics and see-saw/pivot physics when we've seen those since Far Cry 2 (2008) and Half Life 2 (2004) respectively.

I don't think I saw anyone claiming Nintendo just invented real time physics. Most of the excitement was over the degree to which the new Zelda was a physics based sandbox. And at how much was interactive, since most open world games have what is basically a static environment.

Really, most of the hype was due to the fact that most people wouldn't have expected an open world, non-linear Zelda game to go that far, on Nintendo's first attempt at such a design.

Top Bottom