• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Hasney

(We're over 20k so this is a rush job C+P and the FAQ section is a pain so I'll do that later, just done my own for now, HMU with additions and changes if one wantrs)

19466196261_5309ea4c76_o.png

by Hasney, Coolcole93, BShadowJ and NicolajNN

Michael Costello @M1k3Rules

Oh no I didn't play a fuckin videogame and watched the EUROS imstead, better watch yourself, i'm fuckin evil incarnate. Videogames. Fuck me.

Developer/Publisher: Psyonix
Platforms: PC, PS4 & XB1
Release Date: July 7th (Worldwide)
Price: $19.99/19.99€/£14.99/FREE on PS+ for July

System Requirements:
Minimum:
  • Processor: 2.0 GHz Dual core
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia 8800 or ATI 2900
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
Recommended:
  • Processor: 2.0+ GHz Quad core
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia 260 series or ATI 5850 or better
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: Gamepad or Controller Recommended

19252170918_c33560a96d_o.png

Soccer with cars finally makes its triumphant return in Rocket League: the long awaited sequel to the 2008 cult classic PS3 game Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars!

The game throws up to 8 cars at once into a 100% physics based game of SOCCER
(real name: football)
. Beyond doing everything you can to boost, dodge or bundle the ball into the back of the other team’s net, there are no rules, no yellow cards, and no bloody diving.

Customize your car with 150+ items and compete in 1v1 up to 4v4 matches, online or offline, featuring up to 4 player splitscreen, PC and PS4 cross-platform multiplayer, and full bot support.

oOEFz8p.gif

19433442842_bd6b808ecb_o.png

• Up to 4v4 rocket fueled skill-based gameplay
  • Up to 4-player drop-in, drop-out splitscreen (including online)
  • PC and PS4 or XB1 cross-platform multiplayer!
  • Offline Season mode
  • Tutorial, Training and Free Play modes
  • Online and offline bot support with multiple difficulty options
  • Customize your car with a shitton of things, now with rarity and certification
  • Customize your control scheme and camera settings
  • Comprehensive replay editor
  • Extensive stat tracking and leaderboards, with ranked play available
  • Text chat and in-game quick commands on PS4, XB1 and PC, as well as voice chat
  • FREE DLC arenas for as long as people are playing the game

18817235104_e6bbe37973_o.png

So what can your car actually do? There are 4 main techniques: boosting, jumping, dodging and flying.

Boosting

ZckJxf0.gif

Boosting gives your car a burst of speed, meaning you can hit the ball much harder than you’d normally be able to (and even demolish your opponents if you’re going fast enough!). To boost, press and hold the boost button (Circle by default on a Dualshock). Boost is limited, denoted by the meter on the lower right corner of the screen. Get a top-up by driving over the yellow pads dotted around the arena, or drive through boost canisters along the sides to fill up your meter completely.

Jumping

SWLYO1J.gif

Jumping lets you hit a loose ball before it lands, giving you the edge over your opponents. To jump, press the jump button (Cross by default on a Dualshock). Holding Cross will make your car rise even higher, and pressing it again in mid-air will perform a double jump. Being able to judge the height of the ball is one of the key skills to learn if you want to get any good at Rocket League.

Dodging

wr9Iwi4.gif

Dodging your car makes it perform a rapid flip through the air, giving you a hard, powerful and accurate shot. If you’re out of boost, dodging will also increase your speed. To dodge, tap Cross to jump, push the left analogue stick in the direction you want your car to flip, and tap Cross again. You can even dodge backwards when in reverse by pushing the analogue stick down instead of up, helping you out of those sticky situations where your car is facing the wrong way.

You should remember that dodging is the only way to increase your speed when in reverse.

UrlvQF0.gif

Flying

ZUctG9t.gif

The ability to control your car in flight is what really separates the newbies from the hardcore 1337 pr0s. Master flying, and you’ll soon find yourself on every dubsteppy, effect-heavy highlight reel YouTube has to offer.

To fly, start by doing a regular jump, then turn the front of your car up towards the ceiling and hold boost before your car lands. You can use this technique to cover every single inch of the arena, so no ball is ever out of reach. A word of warning though: mastering the aerial will take you months of dedicated playtime.

19252175408_bda295dfe0_o.png

There are various modes available in Rocket League at launch.

Tutorial, Practice and Free Play
New to Rocket League? The game has you covered with a series of tutorials and training modes to teach you the basics. Even for returning veterans, the hardest training modes present a hell of a challenge.

In total, there are three training modes with three difficulty settings each (Rookie, Pro and All Star).
  • Striker (to improve your shooting)
  • Goalie (to improve your defense)
  • Aerial (to improve your flying)
There is also Free Play: just you, a ball, and an empty arena. This is ideal if you want to take some time alone to get used to the game’s handling without the pressure of anyone laughing at you.

You can even do Training or Free Play while the game searches for an online match.

Season Mode
In this offline-only mode (which can be played in up to four player split-screen), you choose a team name, symbol, car colours and team size, then play a full season against bots. First you play in a league format, playing against every other opponent in the league. If you do well enough, you’ll move on to the playoffs in a knockout bracket. If you win it all, you win the Championship and the Season!

Your friends can join you at any time through split-screen or Share Play on PS4.

Offline Exhibitions and Online Private Matches
Private matches are available on and offline, and you can add as many bots as you want to these games. If you are playing a 3v3 online private match and one of your teammates drops out, their space will automatically be filled by a bot. When they rejoin, the bot will leave. If you only have 6 friends and want to play a 4v4, you can set bots to make up the final 2 spaces from beginning to end.

If you're after an offline challenge, you can also try Unfair mode. In this mode, you play alone against up to 4 bots. Bots have three difficulty settings, so you can make them as simple or challenging as you wish.

Oh, and it’s worth repeating that just like every other mode, you can play splitscreen in any of the modes outlined above. Whether you play on the same team or against each other is completely up to you.

Online Matchmaking
Want to hop into a quick game online? No problem. Just filter the playlists and servers to find the match type you’re after and hit search. The skill-based matchmaking will quickly find you matches at your own skill level. You can also party up with online buddies or splitscreen friends before searching.

The following online playlists will be available at launch:
Unranked (Solo or Team)
  • Solo (1v1)
  • Doubles (2v2)
  • Standard (3v3)
  • Chaos (4v4)
  • Hoops
  • Snow Day
  • Rocket Labs
Ranked (Solo)
  • Solo (1v1)
  • Doubles (2v2) (party enabled according to: this post!)
  • Solo Standaed (3v3 no parties)
  • Standard (3v3 with parties)

As with private matches, a bot will automatically replace a player who quits. This means you will never be a man/woman down.

19252165610_f845a545ab_o.png

Maps
  • DFH Stadium
  • Urban Central
  • Mannfield
  • Mannfield (Stormy)
  • Beckwith Park
  • Beckwith Park (Stormy)
  • Beckwith Park (Midnight)
  • Wasteland
  • Neo Tokyo
  • Utopia

Unlike SARPBC, all the actual fields of play in Rocket League are rectangles, and the distinction between arenas is only cosmetic. Psyonix have hinted that they will be adding ‘crazy’ arenas back into the game with the release of free DLC.

Cars
There are 10 base cars, along with DLC and console exclusive cars. All players start with Octane and must unlock others at random by playing single player or online matches.

The full list of cars is:
  • Octane (SARPBC remake)
  • Backfire (SARPBC remake)
  • Breakout
  • Gizmo
  • Hotshot
  • Merc
  • Paladin
  • Road Hog
  • Venom
  • X-Devil

Customization
There are shittons of customisation options
KkLJDn.gif

You can choose your cars’:
  • Body
  • Decal
  • Paint (primary and secondary; one option for each team)
  • Wheels
  • Rocket Trail
  • Topper
  • Antenna

While your car’s primary paint colour is within a gradient of the team you are on (blue team gives you turquoise to dark blue, for example), your secondary colour can be anything you wish.

19252164680_34ce806189_o.png

Q. Where did my rank go

A. They reset it for Season 3

Q. Why am I playing against season champions?

A. Because fuck you that's why

19433442512_a4d48e2986_o.png

Below is a list of screenshots, videos and streams that we feel capture the fun and beauty of Rocket League. It’s not all about the wonder-goals; it’s about the atmosphere and community spirit as well.

Screenshots

Videos
Rocket League - OMG It Has Everything! (Official Trailer by Psyonix)
Rocket League - Beta Montage with NeoGAF (by GAF member xenorevlis)
Rocket League - Beta 2 Montage with NeoGAF (by GAF member xenorevlis)
Kronovi - Rocket League Beta 2 Montage | Edited by Fyshokid (by Kronovi/Fyshokid)
Preview Montage - ROCKET LEAGUE (by Linkuru)
Rocket League Gameplay Montage (by Fyshokid)

Streams
RocketLeague - The Official Twitch.TV channel for Rocket League by Psyonix Studios!
FreezingWolves - Amateur Shoutcaster of Rocket League
RocketLeagueCentral - Will be streaming high level tournaments to Twitch.TV
RocketWorldLive - Will be streaming the Rocket League world championships to Twitch.TV

19433441422_3c6d5d9dfa_o.png

Throughout Rocket League’s life, there will be numerous semi-official NeoGaf tournaments. Win one of those to have your team’s name forever immortalized in this section.

NeoGAF Steam Tournament #1 - The Flying Ball Busters (Mizzourah - Pepiope - TeegsD)

18819121543_595b5b44d4_o.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076309

Special thanks to BShadowJ and NicolajNN. They both did just as much - if not more - work on this than me.

Now let's all have some fun ;)

TheKeyPit

Banned
For fuck's sake! I just wanted to play this for 30-45 minutes and the first match my ping rockets to 998 and the game crashes. It was a ranked match and now I'm banned from matchmaking for 15 minutes. Why can't I rejoin that match?

Hasney

For fuck's sake! I just wanted to play this for 30-45 minutes and the first match my ping rockets to 998 and the game crashes. It was a ranked match and now I'm banned from matchmaking for 15 minutes. Why can't I rejoin that match?

Server probably crashed to cause that, which means no rejoin. Sunnuvabeetch when that happens.

So here a weird glitch, ranked 3v3 solo, all opponents quit but game doesn't end. 3 v 0.

I think because one of my teammates left, then rejoined as the last guy was quitting.

I'd like to see a recent updates section in the OT. The game gets big updates often and it would be cool to see a summary of the last one somewhere.

They need harsher quit penalties, like extended time for serial quitters, 15 minutes, a day, a week, a month etc. 20 matches with no quits to reduce the next punishment.

Every other F-ing match someone quits when the 4 minutes left 2-0 down forfeit vote doesn't get agreed to.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
They need harsher quit penalties, like extended time for serial quitters, 15 minutes, a day, a week, a month etc. 20 matches with no quits to reduce the next punishment.

Every other F-ing match someone quits when the 4 minutes left 2-0 down forfeit vote doesn't get agreed to.
I'm mixed on quitters punishment. Because nothin is more annoying than having a connection issue or a power cut or whatever, and then being banned. I don't need that to be even more annoying. But if you are quitting on a very regular basis, yeah I wouldn't be opposed to a bit harsher punishment.

I'm mixed on quitters punishment. Because nothin is more annoying than having a connection issue or a power cut or whatever, and then being banned. I don't need that to be even more annoying. But if you are quitting on a very regular basis, yeah I wouldn't be opposed to a bit harsher punishment.

How often does that really happen?

VLiberty

Today I haven't got a game with less than 180 ping, and I'm pretty sure that my connection isn't to blame (in this case...)

wtf is happening

TheKeyPit

Banned
What I noticed yesterday: A lot of matches where at least one player dropped out of the game or was afk. I don't think that it was a coincidence. I'm pretty sure those had connection problems just like me.

Edit:

OT needs more of this

PremiumShowroom_GIF.gif

and this

i8k7Az7.gif

and this

aHHXMnt.gif

+ updated car list + etc etc etc ;)

bjaelke

Just won double in 5 minutes overtime after being 4-1 down with 53 seconds left on the clock. I have to admit that got the blood pumping in all the right regions.

There's no better feeling than when the other team scores and spams "What a save!" and you proceed to come back and win. They get awfully quiet.

Played against some guy last night in a 3v3, Sobosomething, call him Sobo, my teammates sucked balls so we lost and he would not stop chatting shit, throwing insults, telling people to quit the game (the game, not the match), and making claims like "So EZ, can win no hands".

Next 2 matches he is on my team, I didn't really want to play with him so I thought 'Fuck this guy' and played for the enemy team, taunting him the entire time and throwing his shit talk back at him, "But you so good, no hands you said" while he had a meltdown, was fun.

Would be good if Rocket League had a feature to block people so you never played with them again. When you run into these players and next match get teamed with them it creates a conflict of interest.

Unrelated: Is the hearts boost the only top rarity item or something?

I really hope they do Knight Rider at some point. That would be awesome

There's no better feeling than when the other team scores and spams "What a save!" and you proceed to come back and win. They get awfully quiet.

Haha something similar that always happens to my buddy and I in competitive 2v2. If a guy on their team happens to blow one of us up, in the next 20 seconds we usually score. I'm not sure why this happens, but it seems to happen 8-9 times out of 10. Feelsgoodman.jpg

Hasney

Played against some guy last night in a 3v3, Sobosomething, call him Sobo, my teammates sucked balls so we lost and he would not stop chatting shit, throwing insults, telling people to quit the game (the game, not the match), and making claims like "So EZ, can win no hands".

Next 2 matches he is on my team, I didn't really want to play with him so I thought 'Fuck this guy' and played for the enemy team, taunting him the entire time and throwing his shit talk back at him, "But you so good, no hands you said" while he had a meltdown, was fun.

Would be good if Rocket League had a feature to block people so you never played with them again. When you run into these players and next match get teamed with them it creates a conflict of interest.

Unrelated: Is the hearts boost the only top rarity item or something?

Congrats on being the bigger cunt, I guess? I mean, I knows the community was bad, I didn't realise there was a competition and bragging on who could make it worse. Jesus.

If it was 2's fine but otherwise bad form as you are screwing over your other teammate.

Mute button is your friend. Seriously. I use it liberally along w/various chat options and 99% of chat related crap is no longer a problem.

Now if only there was a "play better" button...

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Congrats on being the bigger cunt, I guess? I mean, I knows the community was bad, I didn't realise there was a competition and bragging on who could make it worse. Jesus.
Pretty much. Ugh. It was also by all accounts a 3v3 so you straight up fucked over your third teammate who did nothing wrong, too. Not good, dude. Not good.

Shadybiz

Subbed. I don't think I've played a game more than this one in the past decade (for real).

Bought it on Steam recently and gifted a friend a copy of it. Hopefully he likes it. I mainly got the Steam version so I could do the custom trainings, but an added bonus would be to play with him and bullshit around, as he moved quite far away last year.

Finally traded in five items only to get a paint decal for a car I don't even own. :/ Now the garage has an exclamation mark next to it that I can't get rid of.

KHHHAAAAAAAAN!

Also, the more I play this game the more I get frustrated at the little things. Like players ignoring their positioning at the start of the match.

Noaloha

Finally traded in five items only to get a paint decal for a car I don't even own. :/ Now the garage has an exclamation mark next to it that I can't get rid of.

KHHHAAAAAAAAN!

Also, the more I play this game the more I get frustrated at the little things. Like players ignoring their positioning at the start of the match.
Just consider it six objects in a physics simulation room trying to bully a seventh object into a hole. That's the fun bit.

TheKeyPit

Banned
This game needs different ball skins in online play. Just imagine a neo tokyo style ball.

Edit:

Wow! I just won a 1v2 with 6:4. It was 0:0 and only one minute in when my teammate voted for a forfeit and he left immediately afterwards. Hardest parts were some of the kickoffs that are impossible to win in a 1v2.

Ballistik

So I'm challenger 2 in Solo and I've never gone higher than Challenger Elite in any playlist. I had a really nice winning streak.. won like 5 games in a row. Then on one of my wins, I notice that I had just beaten a rising star. I was surprised for the game to put me up against someone so high. So at this point I hit Challenger 3 and search for another game. It puts me up against a Season 2 Grand Champion who's currently a shooting star. Lost horribly of course.

I guess the game was like, you're having too much fun.. let's slap you back to reality and give you some losses.

Norfair

So yesterday I decided to get the achievements for playing the bot tournament matches and noticed a few things.

First, I tried the rookie bots for one round and man are they stupid.

Second, I really like the team colors. I didn't even know that the game could do this. I really love how it re colors the field too. I wish they'd implement something like this for online games. Maybe full groups can pick a team color before looking for a game.

I also think the maps are a bit more detailed in the off line versions.

So yesterday I decided to get the achievements for playing the bot tournament matches and noticed a few things.

First, I tried the rookie bots for one round and man are they stupid.

Second, I really like the team colors. I didn't even know that the game could do this. I really love how it re colors the field too. I wish they'd implement something like this for online games. Maybe full groups can pick a team color before looking for a game.

I also think the maps are a bit more detailed in the off line versions.

It doesn't even need to be this complicated. You should be able to choose your team's colors and that's the way it appears for you only. The rest of your team will be seeing their own selected color.

Top Bottom