• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Woolly World |OT| It's So Fluffy I'm Gonna Die!

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
couple of amiibo questions, can you scan multiple yarn yoshis to use in game? And what is the functionality of the regular super mario line amiibo yoshi?

TheMoon

couple of amiibo questions, can you scan multiple yarn yoshis to use in game? And what is the functionality of the regular super mario line amiibo yoshi?

1) yes, all three color variants
2) double yoshi co-op (only difference to yarn yoshi is that you can't save the custom designs to a regular yoshi amiibo)

jb1234

18 hours in and I'm definitely starting to burn out on the game. The level design itself is often very clever but getting all of those collectibles is getting wearing simply because there's so many of them.

It's also incredibly fucking irritating when I'm in a groove and the controller dies right after two hours of playing. Not the game's fault, obviously but man, I wish I had the funds for a Pro Controller.

(But it's also hard to justify when I use the Wii U so rarely...)

Crom

So after spending about a week with the game, I can safely say it is a pure delight for the reasons many of you have already listed.

I will say this though when it comes to the collectibles: Nothing is a secret when EVERYTHING is a secret.

Just wanted to pop in and say that this game is awesome.

I should have known better but I put off playing it for a long time because of the meh Metacritic reviews (78%)

I can't fathom how this game only scored a 78%. It is better than any of the New Super Mario entries and is a blast to explore. Very charming game (charming is not a word usually in Crom's vocabulary) with a great sense of discovery.

Best 2D game of the year in my opinion.

Crom

This is my concern, too. Or it would be if I weren't enjoying it as you are: a level or two at a time. YWW is a perfect companion to longer games that require hours for each session.

I have been playing 2 levels per day. 1 with my son and 1 with my daughter. It is a great game to play with kids because they can use cheats (or float if switching to mellow mode).

It can be as challenging as you want it to be based on cheats or getting all of the collectibles. Much more challenging, fun, and interesting than Epic Yarn

Level 4-5.

WOW.

Talk about creative. Fun, creative, scaled difficulty, 10/10.

It is an absolute tragedy that this game is not being mentioned more as GOTY.

jb1234

5-S is gonna piss me off, I can already tell. I tried it a few times and quit for the night, as I'd already played for a couple of hours, finishing off the rest of World 5. Getting to the home stretch!

Joei

5-S is gonna piss me off, I can already tell. I tried it a few times and quit for the night, as I'd already played for a couple of hours, finishing off the rest of World 5. Getting to the home stretch!

5-S is probably my favorite S level. After a few rounds, I found it easier since I knew what was coming. If you're really frustrated, there's a badge that makes it really easy, but even that's not needed with some practice (if you're doing a no-badge run).

mrmickfran

That's like the best level in the game lol

Raw64life

Picked this up during the Black Friday "sale" on Amazon, which was a whopping $3 off of its current price. Loving the game, but I share the same sentiment as everyone else about the insane number of secrets. 16 year old me would've spent hours on a single stage until I discovered everything for myself. 28 year old me is playing through a stage twice max and then looking up whatever I can't find.

I did 100% through the first two worlds but I don't know if I'll succumb to OCD and insist and doing 100% or bust the rest of the way. Hopefully the later worlds will provide enough challenge to just clear them without doing 100%.

jariw

Picked this up during the Black Friday "sale" on Amazon, which was a whopping $3 off of its current price. Loving the game, but I share the same sentiment as everyone else about the insane number of secrets. 16 year old me would've spent hours on a single stage until I discovered everything for myself. 28 year old me is playing through a stage twice max and then looking up whatever I can't find.

I did 100% through the first two worlds but I don't know if I'll succumb to OCD and insist and doing 100% or bust the rest of the way. Hopefully the later worlds will provide enough challenge to just clear them without doing 100%.

Just focus on the flowers. That's the only kind of collectable really required to play the whole game. The 7 S levels in YWW are really essential to play.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Finished this 2 days ago, and I think I can safely say this is the best game in the Yoshi series.

Yes, even better than Yoshi's Island. I have a feeling I'm not the only one that feels this way. It's equally fun, equally gorgeous to look at, has a great soundtrack and doesn't have that damn baby (which was a cute gimmick in YI but wore thin by Yoshi's New Island).

jb1234

I beat it! I feel satisfied, for the most part. I don't think the game is quite on the top tier of platformers I played on the Wii U (like NSMBU or Tropical Freeze) but it has many things to recommend it. Just started to get massively burnt out on collecting everything, something that didn't happen with the other two games I mentioned. I'll play some more tomorrow night and hopefully polish off the final bonus level that unlocked, maybe do some of the boss tent.

Finished the game a few days ago, truly a joy of a platformer to experience and a real underrated gem.

I have 100% of the collectibles in Worlds 1-5 and every level in World 6 outside of 6-8 and 6-S. Do I unlock anything cool when I clean those up?

jb1234

Finished the game a few days ago, truly a joy of a platformer to experience and a real underrated gem.

I have 100% of the collectibles in Worlds 1-5 and every level in World 6 outside of 6-8 and 6-S. Do I unlock anything cool when I clean those up?

When you get all the flowers in the special levels, you unlock a special, special level.

Finally got around to starting this today. I've only had it for months.

So far, I'm finding it to be okay, but nothing special. I'm only one world (and part of the second) in, and have been trying to find all of the collectibles. I'm not going crazy looking in every inch of the levels and not progressing until I find them all, but I'm at least trying.

I've found about 60% I think.

I don't like how you have to stop and aim and throw yarn everywhere. It's tedious.

Anyways, is this game really 11 hours long? With only six worlds?

jb1234

Finally got around to starting this today. I've only had it for months.

So far, I'm finding it to be okay, but nothing special. I'm only one world (and part of the second) in, and have been trying to find all of the collectibles. I'm not going crazy looking in every inch of the levels and not progressing until I find them all, but I'm at least trying.

I've found about 60% I think.

I don't like how you have to stop and aim and throw yarn everywhere. It's tedious.

Anyways, is this game really 11 hours long? With only six worlds?

If you go for 100%, it'll take you a while. It took me 25 hours.

If you go for 100%, it'll take you a while. It took me 25 hours.

I read on another forum that somebody took 75 hours to 100% it. That sounded extreme.

I don't plan to 100% it. I honestly don't really care about that type of thing. My plan is to just do as full a first playthrough as I can without going overboard, because I have way too many other games to play and I'm not loving it.

jb1234

I read on another forum that somebody took 75 hours to 100% it. That sounded extreme.

I don't plan to 100% it. I honestly don't really care about that type of thing. My plan is to just do as full a first playthrough as I can without going overboard, because I have way too many other games to play and I'm not loving it.

Yeah, that's definitely extreme. The only real advantage to getting everything is that you unlock several bonus levels, several of them quite good.

Yeah, that's definitely extreme. The only real advantage to getting everything is that you unlock several bonus levels, several of them quite good.

I just don't have the time or interest, to be honest.

I'd like to check out the levels -- and hate how some of the best levels are sometimes locked behind these types of walls -- but I'm juggling a lot of games and just trying to fit this one in as it is. I plan to beat it, of course, and do my best.

Manus

I'd like to check out the levels -- and hate how some of the best levels are sometimes locked behind these types of walls -- but I'm juggling a lot of games and just trying to fit this one in as it is. I plan to beat it, of course, and do my best.

Than just Youtube the locations of the yarn. The levels aren't to long at all.

jariw

You only need to collect all the flowers to unlock the special levels. If playing the game is what interest you, focus only on the flowers (which are pretty easy to collect). The rest of the collectibles doesn't affect the gameplay.

I highly recommend playing the Special levels, since really they are the true highlights of the game (in particular, the very very last level).

Totally off-topic, but the day before yesterday I bought a Basenji puppy and named her (Pixel) Yoshi. She has a pedigree, so her name has to begin with a P. But I'm just going to call her Yoshi.

Can't wait to pick her up coming Friday and play the main theme of Woolly World in the car while driving home.

* whistling *

maxcriden

Totally off-topic, but the day before yesterday I bought a Basenji puppy and named her (Pixel) Yoshi. She has a pedigree, so her name has to begin with a P. But I'm just going to call her Yoshi.

Can't wait to pick her up coming Friday and play the main theme of Woolly World in the car while driving home.

* whistling *

Adorable. Please post some pics in here!

ghibli99

I just started playing this after having picked it up on day one. 5 stages in, and this is just adorably irresistible. After 100%'ing DKC: Tropical Freeze a couple days ago, this is a nice change of pace. I'm in awe of the visuals and music, and the gameplay is solid with that nice feeling of rewarding exploration.

tesqui

Started off adoring this game, but then ended up dreading it. I made a mistake of trying to collect everything. Should've just had fun.

Indelible

I'am so glad I bought this, such a charming and fun game. Removing the crying baby is the best thing they could have done for this series, I always hated that in the other Yoshi games.

ghibli99

Started off adoring this game, but then ended up dreading it. I made a mistake of trying to collect everything. Should've just had fun.
That happened to me with the original Yoshi's Island. I think I 100%'d the first world and most of the second, but the moment I stopped having fun afterwards, I just played through it normally, and had to turn off that completionist switch in my brain... which was VERY difficult to do. We'll see how I do with this one.

Roi

Just finished this, one of my favorites games I played in a long time! It also helped that I played it together with my girlfriend, the levels have a right mix between simple and hard elements!

Now trying to get all to collect, finished the first special level of world 1 already :)!

Griss

Got a discount from the new MyNintendo system and used it on this. I'm about 3 worlds in.

The game didn't make the greatest of first impressions as it felt slow compared to the original Yoshi's island, the levels were too simple, some of Yoshi's animations (the running one in particular) bugged me and the soundtrack was really mediocre.

Fortunately, by the time you're out of world 1 almost all of those issues clear up (most amazingly the soundtrack, which leaps from mediocre to fantastic after about a couple of levels and stays there) and you're left with a really fantastic platformer that surprisingly offers plenty of challenge.

The visuals are just spectacular, each level has a great theme or unique idea, the controls are tight, and the levels are packed with secrets. It's so damn charming, too. It's the first worthy sequel to Yoshi's Island we've gotten. The one issue I have is actually with the secrets - there's a ton of them (which is fine) but I finish so many of my first runs with 5 wool; 5 flowers and 19/20 coins. That's fine, in and of itself. It's supposed to be a challenge. What makes it frustrating is that since each wool and flower is typically surrounded by at least one coin, it means you essentially have to collect each collectible again if you want 20/20 coins. And that getting 5/5 of the other two means very little if you didn't get the coins anyway. Also, hidden clouds are cheap and way, way overused. That's a very poor way to hide a secret, and the fact that there's a badge to reveal them tells me that they knew this.

Despite that, I went back and fully completed almost the whole first world already. Is there any difference between getting all of the collectibles at once (and getting that little flower stamp) and getting them on different run throughs?

Also, I didn't know there was a bonus game until world 3. Despite getting 5 flowers almost all the time and replaying all of World 1, it took that long until I got one. Now that I know how it works I must have been crazy unlucky to dodge it for all that time.

Also, that level with the Kirby's Epic Yarn theme music - fantastic. I'd still put both Yoshi's Island and Epic Yarn ahead of this game, but I'm glad this one has lived up to expectations.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The visuals are just spectacular, each level has a great theme or unique idea, the controls are tight, and the levels are packed with secrets. It's so damn charming, too. It's the first worthy sequel to Yoshi's Island we've gotten. The one issue I have is actually with the secrets - there's a ton of them (which is fine) but I finish so many of my first runs with 5 wool; 5 flowers and 19/20 coins. That's fine, in and of itself. It's supposed to be a challenge. What makes it frustrating is that since each wool and flower is typically surrounded by at least one coin, it means you essentially have to collect each collectible again if you want 20/20 coins. And that getting 5/5 of the other two means very little if you didn't get the coins anyway. Also, hidden clouds are cheap and way, way overused. That's a very poor way to hide a secret, and the fact that there's a badge to reveal them tells me that they knew this.

Despite that, I went back and fully completed almost the whole first world already. Is there any difference between getting all of the collectibles at once (and getting that little flower stamp) and getting them on different run throughs?

There's no functional difference. I'd say the only worthwhile collectibles are the flowers (they unlock the S levels) and the wool (Yoshi skins). As far as I know, getting 100% doesn't really do anything for you so I didn't bother personally, just stuck with those two. Unless you're really set on getting 100%, only worrying about the flowers and yarn might ease some of your annoyance.

Soul Lab

Ok guys,

I own this game since last June (Europe) but didn't have much time to get into it. I cleared only a few levels back then. I'm working on my backlog and today I booted up Yoshi.
And ooooh boy is this game good. I'm in world 4 atm.
The visuals and artstyle are simply stunning. And how they implemented it into the gameplay is amazing. I was grinning the whole time like an idiot. So good. And the music is really relaxing. The developer's name fits perfectly. This game is pure Good-Feel.

To sum up: Another Wii U gem!
Is Nintendo pleased with the sales?
Even though I'm not even closed to the credits I already want a direct sequel. I love this concept

ghibli99

The bump reminded me that I did 100% this a few weeks ago. I thought getting everything would annoy me, but TBH, I was completely fine with using the item locator and a couple other badges on certain stages to reduce having to go through them more than a couple times. The game still provided some great challenges, and the variety was terrific. The yarn aesthetic was simply perfect, and this is now one of my favorite games on the Wii U, which already shares very good company.

Oh, and the soundtrack is SO good. What a gem.

Roo

Is Nintendo pleased with the sales?
Even though I'm not even closed to the credits I already want a direct sequel. I love this concept

iirc, in the last report, Woolly World sold 1.3 million copies.
Considering how badly Nintendo handled the release dates between Europe-America, the overall bad sales of Wii U, poor promotion and Yoshi being a rather low profile IP as a whole I think they couldn't be happier with the current sales. There's even a small chance it can get around 2 million by the end of the year.

Obviously we don't know how much money they spent but with the game' sales and the basically always sold-out Yoshi amiibo I think a sequel is pretty much guaranteed.

Soul Lab

iirc, in the last report, Woolly World sold 1.3 million copies.
Considering how badly Nintendo handled the release dates between Europe-America, the overall bad sales of Wii U, poor promotion and Yoshi being a rather low profile IP as a whole I think they couldn't be happier with the current sales. There's even a small chance it can get around 2 million by the end of the year.

Obviously we don't know how much money they spent but with the game' sales and the basically always sold-out Yoshi amiibo I think a sequel is pretty much guaranteed.

thanks for the info. sounds good.

btw. just finished the game
including all bonus levels and the bonus bonus level
this game is amazing. I want more!

jariw

btw. just finished the game
including all bonus levels and the bonus bonus level
this game is amazing. I want more!

Playing everything the game has to offer like you did, I can't think of any other way to think of this game. Amazing experience.

DonShula

Just started playing it myself, with my kids. They love the style and I appreciate the mechanics. At times the cute is nauseating but still a great game. Easy buy for $27.

Vibed

I have an unopened WW copy here that I got for $32 with amiibo...

I have no idea if I should wait for the 3DS version for its extra levels.

maxcriden

Worth $27? Methinks yes...

Absolutely, yes.

I have an unopened WW copy here that I got for $32 with amiibo...

I have no idea if I should wait for the 3DS version for its extra levels.

It's tough to say how the 3DS version will stack up. But, it's a certainty it won't look quite as pretty and it's unclear if it will hit 60 fps (I think it hasn't been clarified, but anyone reading, please correct me if it has been stated). It's also going to depend on if you strongly prefer platforming on the go. If you're in no rush to play it, you could just hold off and see what impressions of the 3DS version are like. I imagine it will be a polished port with good extra levels, but it's hard to speculate beyond that at this point. I can say I don't regret playing the Wii U version, it's a wonderful game, and I wouldn't feel differently if I played it right now knowing the 3DS version is coming.

Top Bottom