• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

Lethal

Neo Member
What should the idle frequency be?

EDIT

LOL I had set my power state to maximum while OCing and never changed it back. Changed back to optimal and it's clocking down as usual.

Jedi2016

Mine's usually around 280-something, temps at around 35 and fans off. Right this minute, even after a reboot, it's at 1746MHz and 55C, with the fans ramped up. And I'm not doing anything except sitting on the Windows desktop.

I see mentions of it on a few boards, apparently something they fixed in the .25 drivers and then immediately broke again in the next release and made the problem a lot worse for high-framerate users.

Oh, well that's even better... they're not just high.. they're stuck. Even in-game, they stay locked at 1746MHz, even though it usually boosts well over 1900. What the ever-loving fuck did they do?

Yes, but changing that doesn't fix it. It's only a single monitor, that issue is said to present itself on multi-monitor setups, but the symptoms are exactly the same.

I have an EVGA FTW Edition which had the same issue. I turned my computer off (and monitor) and came back to it a few hours later. I didn't expect that should fix the issue but when I just checked I'm idling at 250-400 Mhz and 34C.

On a separate note. I've noticed in two games (Wolfenstein The Old Blood and Crysis 3) that I have severe stuttering even at high frame rates with G-Sync enabled. Heavy action scenes are nigh unplayable even though the frame rate never drops below 60 (and tends to hover between 60-90FPS). What the fuck gives? I'm using a GSYNC display and GSYNC is enabled.

Vuze

Twice now I've had a weird issue where the card stays at its regular (not boost) clock all the time, even when it's not doing anything, so it's constantly running hot as if it were under load.

The last time I was able to twiddle with the settings in the Control Panel and it clocked down, but maybe it was just a one-off, because this time nothing seems to be stopping it short of a full system reboot (which is what made it go wonky in the first place).

EVGA FTW, latest Precision XOC.
I'm using a tool that comes with Nvidia inspector to force low power state except for when games or editing software runs; forgot the exact name but it fixed the high idle clocks for me (1440p144 + 1080p60 here). It's a super annoying issue and they just don't want to fix it due to possible problems with certain monitor setups it seems...
What kind of fps are people getting on quantum break with ultra settings@1080p?
Sub 30

MoonGred

Does anyone have any weird driver crashes when using Chrome?

Periodically I'll have a random driver crash when watching a video via chrome. It sorts itself out within a minute but it's just odd. Happens regardless of it being OC'd or not.
Never have any in game issues.

Has anyone got the led visualizer to work with their evga cards?None of the patterns seem to work.

There are a bunch of options in GeForce Experience and Precision X. I'm sure one of them will have what you're looking for.

Speaking of PrecisionX, is there a way to get Riva to work with it? I've never used it and was thinking about using that instead of Afterburner since it's all branded and whatnot. Any advantages/disadvantages to using it with an EVGA card over Afterburner (I've always used Afterburner)?

Does anyone have any weird driver crashes when using Chrome?

Periodically I'll have a random driver crash when watching a video via chrome. It sorts itself out within a minute but it's just odd. Happens regardless of it being OC'd or not.
Never have any in game issues.

That used to happen to me, but ever since I slightly decreased the overclock and set voltage and power limit to the max in Afterburner hasn't happened since.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
6 hours of The Witcher 3 left to sit in a demanding area, clock and mem running at max. Not a temp above 54°C.

Really, really impressed with that.

Soltype

There are a bunch of options in GeForce Experience and Precision X. I'm sure one of them will have what you're looking for.
GeForce experience options don't work and the only stuff available through precision in static color, and 2 demo loops.I saw online you can change the color through precision and have GeForce experience handle the patterns, but I can't get it to work.

Twice now I've had a weird issue where the card stays at its regular (not boost) clock all the time, even when it's not doing anything, so it's constantly running hot as if it were under load.

The last time I was able to twiddle with the settings in the Control Panel and it clocked down, but maybe it was just a one-off, because this time nothing seems to be stopping it short of a full system reboot (which is what made it go wonky in the first place).

EVGA FTW, latest Precision XOC.

I had to reinstall the latest drivers for my 970 because it'd get stuck at the regular GPU/VRAM clocks, after reinstalling it's been fine so far.

HooYaH

6 hours of The Witcher 3 left to sit in a demanding area, clock and mem running at max. Not a temp above 54°C.

Really, really impressed with that.

Is your card watercooled or do you live in a freezer? Is it even possible to get a high end card below 60C load on Air?

bj00rn_

Banned
6 hours of The Witcher 3 left to sit in a demanding area, clock and mem running at max. Not a temp above 54°C

54C at max load..?

t2_600.gif

54C at max load..?

I just got out of an extended (as in roughly 2 hours) session of Elite Dangerous in the Oculus Rift using the VR High setting, and Afterburner says the highest temperature it saw was 67 degrees. This is the typical temperature I see on my Gainward Phoenix GS, though I've seen it go as high as 73 or so when playing Rise of the Tomb Raider. I have no idea how someone could go below 60 on a normal setup without using watercooling, especially since the Gainward cards are considered to be perhaps the best fan cooled 1080s available. Still, anything that isn't 80 or above is awesome in my book.

This is during summertime in Norway, so the temperatures outside are around 20-25 degrees C. I've got a Coolermaster cabinet that should have good airflow.

Threlnos

Neo Member
Long time lurker here but I figured I'd post for those still looking still looking for a GTX 1080 card. The Micro Center in Paterson NJ have two cards in their cabinet one was an EVGA GTX 1080 Classified and the other was a Zotac 1080 but I couldn't make out the rest. I was half tempted to pick up the Classified but I had already managed order an ASUS Strix from Newegg this past Friday. Their website does not show these cards in stock but maybe giving them a call to confirm but I assure you that they had them in stock.

I unlocked the framerate in MGS V TPP, and the GPU utilization is not high (not hitting 144fps either; more at 98fps). CPU load is normal; nothing above 50% across all cores. I guess the card is relatively new (I doubt they will optimize the drivers for older games).

GeForce experience options don't work and the only stuff available through precision in static color, and 2 demo loops.I saw online you can change the color through precision and have GeForce experience handle the patterns, but I can't get it to work.

Unfortunately, after installing Precision X last night to test, I can no longer change the colors or patterns through GFE. Even after uninstalling Precision X. Dunno what's up with all that, but it seems like there's something wrong with Precision X. It's missing all the features for the LED's available in GFE and it breaks the other systems.

Going to actually do a system restore back to before I installed GFE to see if that gets things back to where they were.

taoofjord

Getting impatient waiting to get my hands on the Gigabyte 1080. Should I keep waiting or pick up the currently available and overpriced ($700) NVIDIA FE version tomorrow?

HooYaH

Unfortunately, after installing Precision X last night to test, I can no longer change the colors or patterns through GFE. Even after uninstalling Precision X. Dunno what's up with all that, but it seems like there's something wrong with Precision X. It's missing all the features for the LED's available in GFE and it breaks the other systems.

Going to actually do a system restore back to before I installed GFE to see if that gets things back to where they were.

Well the new GFE beta doesn't even have an option for LED visualizer.

Vuze

So!

After installing it yesterday and putting it through its paces a little, here's some first impressions on the MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC.

At first I didn't touch any of the settings in Afterburner, let the card's default settings take care of themselves. These are the benchmarks I got:

Note that I'm using the latest 368.95 hotfix driver, which explains the 3DMark error message.

This morning I put it through the 3DMark FS Extreme stress test. What I did notice is that the card's boost clock is higher than MSI advertises, fluctuating between 1873 and 1860Mhz compared to the stated 1797. The fan doesn't go over 76% at default, and maintains the card's max temp at a stable 76°C at 1860Mhz (room temp is between 22 and 25°C). Bumping the fan speed up to 81% maintains the boost clock at 1873Mhz at 75°C, and maxing it out to 100% speed will reduce that to around 72°C. Under 60°C the fans don't spin at all.

I do have the luxury of owning a Fractal Define R5 case, which means that even at 100% fan speed the noise level is barely above a whisper. Very very pleasant, especially coming from a reference 980.

Here's some bad news though: even when maxing out the power limit and upping the temperature limit in Afterburner, the card won't boost over 1873Mhz once it's above 72°C. Under that it will go up to 1886 or even 1898Mhz, but even a 100% fan speed can't maintain the card below 72°C. So the factory OC is actually higher than advertised, but there doesn't seem to be much headroom for further overclocking, short of switching to watercooling.

That's all I've had time to test for now, but I'll be gaming with it today so I may do a follow-up post with some real-world gaming impressions.

E: Damn, just saw that by waiting a couple days I could've scored a Palit Jetstream 1080 for 40€ less than the MSI.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wait till summer.

Is your card watercooled or do you live in a freezer? Is it even possible to get a high end card below 60C load on Air?

54C at max load..?

Winter :p
But yes, according to afterburner 100% GPU usage, clock/mem running at full speed (slight fluctuations in the former), for 6+ hours of The Witcher 3. Not water cooled, case cover all on, shit ventilation. 54C max.

Things will be different come Australian summer.

Winter :p
But yes, according to afterburner 100% GPU usage, clock/mem running at full speed (slight fluctuations in the former), for 6+ hours of The Witcher 3. Not water cooled, case cover all on, shit ventilation. 54C max.

Things will be different come Australian summer.
That's why I said wait till summer :p

Case panel on is actually better for your in-case airflow, taking off the panels would lead to worse GPU temperature performance FYI.

nowarning

Got a STRIX delivered on Saturday, really happy with it. I haven't had time to play much yet but I'll put it through it's paces this week!

Gaming-related update to my impressions of the MSI Armor 1080 OC:

Played Mirror's Edge Catalyst with everything maxed out at 1440p. I'm averaging between 70 and 80fps at all times, which is nice. Weirdly though, it's not much more than with my OC'd 980 (except I've got textures on Hyper instead of Ultra now).

Played some Witcher 3 as well: maxed out at 1440p with Hairworks off, I'm also at around 70fps with some dips into the low 60s. Haven't checked out any big cities as of yet since I'm still in the early stages of the game, but it's a pretty great experience so far.

Gaming temps are overall lower than in benchmarks: I get 67-70°C with my custom fan curve meaning that the boost clock usually hovers in the 1890's. I can further confirm that when gaming I can't hear the card at all, even when fans are spinning over 80%.

Still need to check out Arkham Knight, Just Cause 3 and GTA V, but so far I'm pretty stoked!

Soltype

I gave up on it for now, hoping evga fixes their software and Nvidia puts it back in GFE.

hwalker84

What are the graphical showpieces we're all looking forward to this year?

I'm definitely buying:
Gears 4
Forza Horizon 3
Deus Ex
Halo Wars 2

Not buying but will look spetacular:
Battlefield 1
Titanfall 2
Watch Dogs 2

Forza Horizon 3 is a definite buy, so are Deus Ex and Watch Dogs 2. I'll wait to see how good the SP is in BF1 before I jump on that bandwagon.

Also really looking forward to Mafia 3 :)

Vuze

What are the graphical showpieces we're all looking forward to this year?

I'm definitely buying:
Gears 4
Forza Horizon 3
Deus Ex
Halo Wars 2

Not buying but will look spetacular:
Battlefield 1
Titanfall 2
Watch Dogs 2
Already pre-ordered Forza, will probably get Deus Ex as well... apart from that I guess my 1080 will be busy with GE/2 at 4k144 (hopefully it supports >30fps and >1080p lol) starting end of August which is no graphical showpiece but anyway.

Apparently, using prefer maximum performance options causes the card to get stuck at 1780MHz for me (max clock without boost). I set it to adaptive, but I get low GPU usage in anything that isn't a new release e.g TW3, RoTR, Dying Light..,etc.

Will new drivers improve performance and GPU usage in older games? So far, a lot of older releases can't keep up 120-144fps even though the CPU is getting high usage across cores.

Also, I get serious performance boost in Rise of the Tomb Raider when using DX12. The average fps is 130fps vs 110fps, and the frame rate never drops below 60 (rarely to 58fps as minimum fps), whereas I get 38fps in DX11. Also, the driver crash problem is caused by Steam Overlay; I turned it off and didn't a crash for a decent amount of time (I will see if it was actually fixed or just prolonged).

dr_rus

Apparently, using prefer maximum performance options causes the card to get stuck at 1780MHz for me (max clock without boost). I set it to adaptive, but I get low GPU usage in anything that isn't a new release e.g TW3, RoTR, Dying Light..,etc.

Will new drivers improve performance and GPU usage in older games? So far, a lot of older releases can't keep up 120-144fps even though the CPU is getting high usage across cores.

Low GPU usage is usually a sign of CPU limitation.

dr_rus

Yeah it is. But I have no issues with more CPU demanding games like TW3, Dying Light, RoTR..,etc. It happens in some old games while the CPU usage is relatively low (no frame timing spikes/loading either).

Well, they may be limited by something else completely. Also how sure are you that these games aren't hitting their own fps limiters?

Well, they may be limited by something else completely. Also how sure are you that these games aren't hitting their own fps limiters?

The framerate reaches 144fps and the GPU usage increases when looking at the skybox or some non-demanding scenes. When I do turn towards demanding scenes, the framerate drops and so does the GPU usage (CPU usage doesn't exceed 50% across all cores).

I think it might be a driver problem because I know some skylake DDR4 RAM users who are getting similar issues. Nvidia forums have a lot of complaints about GPU utilization but the generic answer is to "wait and stop bitching. Don't buy new electronics and whine". Everything is very playable at the moment; I just want to make sure that I am having no issues.

SirNinja

Finally picked up a 1080 for a really good price. Should be here Aug. 1. So excited!

I'm upgrading from a 680, so this should be quite the increase for me. Looking forward to running a lot more stuff at 4K at decent FPS than I could before.

dr_rus

The framerate reaches 144fps and the GPU usage increases when looking at the skybox or some non-demanding scenes. When I do turn towards demanding scenes, the framerate drops and so does the GPU usage (CPU usage doesn't exceed 50% across all cores).

I think it might be a driver problem because I know some skylake DDR4 RAM users who are getting similar issues. Nvidia forums have a lot of complaints about GPU utilization but the generic answer is to "wait and stop bitching. Don't buy new electronics and whine". Everything is very playable at the moment; I just want to make sure that I am having no issues.

What you're describing does sound a lot like a CPU limitation issue. You run with HT on? What happens to CPU usage when you turn it off?

What you're describing does sound a lot like a CPU limitation issue. You run with HT on? What happens to CPU usage when you turn it off?

I turned hyperthreading off via BIOS settings, then tried The Forest. CPU usage increased to 60% overall but not a single core went above 50-65%. GPU usage is nearly the same; I got nearly the same performance but with doubled CPU usage (I turned HT back on and CPU usage was 30%).

I've seen 1080 users get bottleneck'd by CPUs. There is a benchmark of TW3 in Novigrad in a 1080 i7 6600k setup, where the cores reach 90-100% usage in Novigrad and GPU usage drops significantly. I don't get that; I have an overclocked i7 4770k that only Dying Light pushed it to 70-80% usage with distance scaling/rendering cranked up to max, and I still get 100-144fps with no huge drops in GPU usage.

So i finally got my Zotac GTX 1080 today...and it's not showing anything on screen. The rest of my computer works as i can get picture on the internal graphics card, but nothing is coming up when i have my gtx 1080 plugged in at any pci port. Is there any other testing i need to do before shipping it back to Newegg for a new one?

Phinor

I turned hyperthreading off via BIOS settings, then tried The Forest. CPU usage increased to 60% overall but not a single core went above 50-65%. GPU usage is nearly the same; I got nearly the same performance but with doubled CPU usage (I turned HT back on and CPU usage was 30%).

Some game engines and games are just unable to utilize free CPU (or GPU) cycles properly in many situations, especially when "a lot of things are happening". The code simply won't run better than that although increased CPU MHz might help a bit even if it looks like you are not CPU limited on any core.

Just yesterday I decided to try Arma 3. Turning up those visibility settings sure dropped my fps but CPU usage barely went up and GPU usage remained the same. It's not a small difference either, it's easy to go from 100 fps to 30 fps changing those settings and CPU usage doesn't change all that much and isn't anywhere near 100% on any core. GPU usage remained at around 50%.

However if you can find people with very similar computers running much higher fps in those exact same games, then there's a problem. Also remember that in some games memory is highly critical component when trying to reach higher framerates but in other games it has no effect at all. A bit like CPU/GPU in that regard.

So i finally got my Zotac GTX 1080 today...and it's not showing anything on screen. The rest of my computer works as i can get picture on the internal graphics card, but nothing is coming up when i have my gtx 1080 plugged in at any pci port. Is there any other testing i need to do before shipping it back to Newegg for a new one?

What video connector are you using? I had to resort to using DVI because I couldn't get a picture with DP on my monitor.

Top Bottom