• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Parish Presents: Retronauts Works (Chronological Retrospective Series)

I ready it cover to cover around Christmas and found the transition over the NES' lifetime fascinating.

I hope Parish gives his Playstation books from GameSpite a similar full-color, high quality treatment someday. I still find myself flipping through my original copy every couple of months. But between the better layout and improved writing on Good Nintendations, I'd love to see what he could to for the PS1 volume.

I spent some time this morning eyeing that PS1 issue of GameSpite Quarterly and the only thing that held me off from ordering that is the potential of an updated edition.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
I hope Parish gives his Playstation books from GameSpite a similar full-color, high quality treatment someday. I still find myself flipping through my original copy every couple of months. But between the better layout and improved writing on Good Nintendations, I'd love to see what he could to for the PS1 volume.

I'd like to, but that seems like something that will be a few years down the road, if ever. The next old book I'd like to update is the Super NES issue. All the art files have vanished, though, so I'll have to rebuild it from scratch. And I'll want to add more games and lots of supplemental essays and indices as in the Good Nintentions book, so that's a months-long project. At the moment, I'm far more interested in working on Game Boy videos and getting the Good Nintentions 1985 book together.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I have that game on one of these 30in1 cartridges. Yeah, it's really crappy but even worse it is like one of these bad games that feel very "off" as if playing them too long would hurt your brain.
Hey, I too also had one of those pirate cartridges that my parents got me while they were on holiday one year. Contained Heiankyo Alien, which was mentioned in the video quoted, Contra: The Alien Wars, Flipull, Dr. Mario, that one Simpsons game in the vein of Jack and the Beanstalk, and Wheel of Fortune. That's about as much as I can remember.

butalala

This series has made me realize how good I had it in 1997 when I got my first GB Pocket. My first games were James Bond 007 and Donkey Kong Land 3. Worlds better than the kind of stuff that was available in 1990!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I've been listening to a lot of Retronauts podcasts lately and I've grown to really like Jeremy Parish, namely because a lot of our tastes line up so much. He detests mobile gaming and doesn't seem to own a gaming PC. Don't see that too much these days.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
What's this? You want more puzzle games? WELL, BE MY GUEST!

Game Boy World #072: Puzznic [Taito, 1990]

Hmm, a Game Boy release called "Puzznic"! Whatever genre could this game belong to?

Props to Taito for even caring about this one when they could have just asked TOSE or Nova Games to barf out some rough, rushed port, but I'm having a hard time finding it in my heart to do likewise.

Contains brief nudity, sooo...yeah.

Nerdkiller

Membeur

Nerdkiller

Membeur
YES! A NON-PUZZLE GAME THIS WEEK!

Game Boy World #074: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan [Konami/Ultra, 1990]

Travel back to a time when "radical" was an innocent expression of joy rather than a loaded tool of political rhetoric. When America's hearts belonged to a quartet of adolescent amphibians named for Renaissance masters. When you could sell a portable console with a phoned-in belt-scroller. Yes, let's travel back to summer 1990 and the last days of the Foot Clan.

-KRS-

Had that as a kid and as a result I played it a lot, and even enjoyed it even though I could never beat the final stage. But yeah these days I realize it's kinda terrible compared to other TMNT games.

Interesting to hear that the devs at Konami didn't seem to understand the TMNT phenomenon. The other games in the series at least goes to show that even though they didn't understand it, they still took the time to research the franchise enough to learn it's strengths and use them to make great games.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Jeremy Parish has got a new series now, dedicated to SNES games.

Mode Seven #001: F-Zero [Nintendo, 1991]

Hey kids, let's celebrate 25 Super NES by kicking off a (very infrequently updated) new video series: Mode Seven. Like Good Nintentions, it'll be a chronological survey of U.S. releases for Super NES, sequenced according to Nintendo's official launch dates.

This first episode, fittingly, dives into a game built entirely around this series' namesake: F-Zero, the futuristic racing game designed as a showcase for the Super NES Mode 7 feature. Convenient!

Dreavus

Missed this over the years, but these revisits/reviews(?) are extremely well articulated. Kudos.

I'll have to go through the series over the next little while.

JDdelphin

God, that Castlevania game was such a disappointment.

"Want this open-world side scroller? Too bad. Here's a shitty fucking platformer that feels like it's running through molasses"

"ALSO, ENJOY OUR CLASSIC JUMP MECHANIC."

"NOW WITH MORE PLATFORMS."

"AND SPIKES."

"WATCH OUT FOR THE SPIKES."

"...seriously, its like INSTANT death.
-and they're eeeeeverywhere."

I thought so too, until I had to cover five Game Boy puzzlers in a row.

Game Boy World has made me realize just how awash the system is with mediocrity. It's worse than going through the NES in Chrontendo. Can't you just, you know, skip to the good stuff later on or something? I'd like to hear you talk about, say, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, not Licensed Puzzle Platformer #4850.

ToastyFrog

That was kind of the point. Imagine — a title that instantly communicates the series' nature and purpose to its intended audience!

entremet

Damn, Jeremy. Where do you find the time lol.

I'm not complaining, but you're pretty prolific with these series.

redcrayon

Really enjoying these. I grew up with a Game Boy almost permanently clutched in my grubby mitts and so seeing some of the titles reviewed hits my nostalgia spot. So many gems on the GB, and so much trash too.

Decider

That was kind of the point. Imagine — a title that instantly communicates the series' nature and purpose to its intended audience!
Sorry, it just seemed like something obvious enough to have been used many times over in the last twenty-five years. I suppose the MD equivalent would've been "Blast Processing" or something similar.

Good luck with the series.

ToastyFrog

Sorry, it just seemed like something obvious enough to have been used many times over in the last twenty-five years. I suppose the MD equivalent would've been "Blast Processing" or something similar.
I thought the same thing, but I couldn't find anything substantial on the web or YouTube by that name when I did my preliminaries, so I figured, "Well, what the hell."

ToastyFrog

The noise in solid blue areas is something I've been aware of for a while, but couldn't be helped. I've been waiting on some boutique parts for ages in order to finalize my capture setup connections. The main missing piece (an 8-way SCART switcher from gRetroStuff) arrived a few days ago, and now I'm just waiting on a final cable to arrive from Retro Console Accessories. At that point, I'll be using all high-end custom-built components, so it should cut way back on noise. Probably. My plan is to have my setup feeding into a PVM before passing through to capture, so it's possible the passthrough could affect the final RGB output. In which case, oh well—a little analog noise is part of the charm of capturing from actual vintage hardware.

Ah yeah makes sense. You've uploaded a bunch of your recordings as reference quality archival footage so I assumed you were trying to keep things as clean as possible.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Bit of a diversion today from the usual.

Good Nintentions Gaiden Episode #01: Yume Kōjō Doki Doki Panic

By patron request, a follow-up to last week's look at Super Mario Bros. in the form of a look at the sequel to Super Mario Bros., more or less. Yume Kōjō Doki Doki Panic is probably the best-known Famicom Disk System release of all time, and all because its relationship to Super Mario Bros. 2 rendered countless American childhoods a lie...

Baleoce

Bookmarked and subbed. Will check this out when I get home. Loved this era. Links Awakening and Wario Land are some of my all time favourites.

ToastyFrog

Boney

Banned
Can't wait for the next wave of Nintendo developed stuff, like Metroid 2, the frog for whom the Bell tolls, kid Icarus and Balloon kid.

You're a saint

mokeyjoe

This series has made me realize how good I had it in 1997 when I got my first GB Pocket. My first games were James Bond 007 and Donkey Kong Land 3. Worlds better than the kind of stuff that was available in 1990!

James Bond 007 was a terrible game.

My first Gameboy games were Tetris and Super Mario Land. Better games, I feel.

On the other hand the GB Pocket was a great system. Gameboy perfection.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Game Boy World #075: Sakigake!! Otokojuku: Meioutou Kessen [Yutaka, 1990]

Wow! It's a really bad fighting game on Game Boy. Who'd have guessed? This Japan-only game adaptation of a Japan-only manga and anime series from the '80s offers nothing of value for anyone unfamiliar with the franchise, or in fact to anyone, so feel free not to bother hunting it down. Let it lay forgotten in history.

This game marks the entry of new publisher Yutaka into the market. And by "new" I mean "a crummy old publisher under a new name." Can you guess which one? Do you even care?

Note: I realized after this episode was posted that the reading of the title's kanji characters found in most online English-language resources, while correct, is not the actual reading the game gives. So it's "Meioutou Kessen," not "Meikoushima Kessen." My big dumb American mistake. But, arguably the same level of quality control the game itself demonstrates, so... fitting.

Top Bottom