• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saddest moments in a cartoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I8De483.jpg

Actually, forget Grave of the Fireflies. This is the saddest moment.

Context? Is... is that Gohan?

T-Rex.

Banned
Context? Is... is that Gohan?
Unfortunately, yes.
He's pretty much lost all interest in fighting in the new series/movies to the point where he has weakened drastically. I mean he's still stronger than the other Z fighters, who aren't Goku and Vegeta, but they're not really relevant anyway. Well, neither is Gohan now I suppose. He gets bodied by first form Frieza in Resurrection of F .... with one punch iirc.

Unfortunately, yes.
He's pretty much lost all interest in fighting in the new series/movies to the point where he has weakened drastically. I mean he's still stronger than the other Z fighters, who aren't Goku and Vegeta, but they're not really relevant anyway. Well, neither is Gohan now I suppose. He gets bodied by first form Frieza in Resurrection of F .... with one punch iirc.

/groan

whyyyyyy

^^^^^ wtf at that Nezha pic.

cloudyboy

Neo Member
one of the most obscure one (at least I think), I can't find the episode in english (only in french) but I am sure it is findable.

One of the episode of Sally the little witch, had a boy creating a girafe like plush horse to a sick girl for a class project, evidently he got mocked for it, later in the episode we learn that the girl of which that boy is now a good friend, was actually dying, cue to a scene of dying dream with the horse and that little girl dying happy holding said horse, evidently that poor boy learn it in is class, maybe not that sad by today standard, but It did hit me when I watched it a few year ago.

In 90s Xmen cartoon episode "Beauty & the Beast" where Beast couldn't be with his blind girlfriend because of what he was and what he looked like.

This thread makes me think I'm a cynical asshole, since other than the Futurama and some Pixar drops, none of these ever got me. Hell, I hated Grave of the Fireflies.

I suppose to name one that hasn't been mentioned, the dog scene in Elfien Lied. Lucy's only friend :(

OH FUCK. How about in Gurran Lagann when
Bro dies.
That shit hit pretty hard, mostly because I didn't expect it and also because that was like the best anime character ever.

higemaru

I can't vouch for the people saying Bojack enough. The end of Downer Ending (S1E11) is crushing even with the joke stinger. The ending of S2E11 is upsetting in a totally different but equally effective way and S3, the whole thing, is heart wrenching.

Luck of the Fryrish and The Sting are two of the best episodes of Futurama and are so sweet. Jurassic Bark gets a lot of the love but I'm happy to see these other two get some love. Devil's Hands, Game of Tones, and the finale are really good too.

thedan001

Ending of Yuuki's arc (Mother's Rosario) in Sword Art Online

SAO had some high's and some low's in quality storytelling. This scene was probably the most influential out of the series for me considering what Yuuki had to endure in the real life world

SPOILERS
sword_art_online_II_24_4.jpg
e610d101b0e0102ccd5dc7760fd70dff.jpg
SAO-II-ep24-Zekken-Asuna-under-tree.png

mavo

Banned
enhanced-18639-1401941087-7.jpg

Well it may be not completely sad, more like sweet but it makes me cry every goddam time, and they add some good jokes during it too "Marge she called me a baboon!, the ugliest and stupidest of all apes!"

The last episode of David the Gnome, which taught kids about death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnuD1Opu9oI

David and his wife turn into trees, a symbol of them dying of old age.

eGsxa2t6MTI=_o_david-the-gnome---09.jpg
I watched this series throughout most of my early childhood. I dont remember much about any one episode, but certainly don't remember this. I do t know that I would have put it together as them dying, I think I might've been too young. I just watched it now though, and that was a pretty depressingly good way to end it. I feel as if a part of my childhood has now been competed...thanks :D

f0lken

I was going to mention Plague Dogs, but since someone else did it (and because I don't want to think of that movie again T_T ), I will mention this scene from the Harlock movie "Arcadia of my youth", that movie and universe is just sad and full of brutal moments, and this scene wrecked me :(

cover%2BMobile%2BSuit%2BGundam%2B0080%2BWar%2Bin%2Bthe%2BPocket.jpg

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket.

Grave of the Fireflies-tier anime with a strong anti-war message. Its that good with the added plus of mechas and it sold me on the Gundam franchise.

Dinosaurs.

4 seasons of great 90's Sitcom, with hilarious antics, good family relatioships and the odd very slecial episode....

And then The final episode.

What makes it worse is that it's becoming more eerily prescient with each passing year.

eso76

Oh get the FUCK out of here w/ that movie.

This is probably the exact same thing I told my wife when she suggested we watched it together.
She didn't, maybe doesn't still, know what the movie is about, she just thought it looked Ghibli-ish which we both loved.
She was puzzled at my reaction :)

I saw it once and then locked the VHS away and there's nothing that could make me watch it again, ever.
A huge NOPE automatically pops up in my head and watermarks every frame of the movie I accidentally come across online.

I also kept her from doing so. I mean, she'd cry when Lost characters got killed, she could never handle this.

Talonz

When Rodimus Prime was made leader of the Transformers.

Runner is up Grave of the Fireflies.. be warned you WILL cry.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Was this just way sadder in the original compared to the new series? Cause I saw the original ten or so years ago and thought it was one of the saddest things in anime, saw the other version and it wasn't all that affective.

apotema

You guys don't know what true sadness really is (except with Grave of the fireflies, that movie is devastating)

hqdefault.jpg

corazonremi.gif

Moonkid

Season 3 of Moral Orel. I suppose it's like Bojack Horsemen from what I've heard as it begins as a comedy before getting real as shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom