• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
Superman #3

Good backstory that finally explains everything to me but
the dog. how did he get there, or this is new 52 krypto

tumblr_n5usiaazEe1r72ht7o1_500.gif

5/5 JON IS GOING TO REKT!

kmfdmpig

Green Arrow was excellent.
Batman was very good.
Other than that, however, this week felt a bit weak for me.

Superman, Birds of Prey, and Hellblazer were OK. I liked Hellblazer more than others and thought the tone was good, although I admittedly haven't read much with the character in the past.
Justice League and Aquaman were passable, but barely.
Green Lantern was a mess both in terms of story and visuals. I was interested after Rebirth, but this run is not going to be good. It's sloppy and boring at the same time.

shoreu

I think it's BS that Simon Baz is getting more character developement and powers than John Stewart.

John's just gotten his heart ripped out and a SS ring.

Supergirl's art is gorgeous! I love Emmanuela Lupacchino work. It's a shame he's not on the regular artist, but Brian Ching's art still looks great. It's very expressive. Those Batman Beyond pages are fantastic. Is that from the Rebirth issue, or #16?

MartyStu

Batman #3

This issue is incredibly sad. Not because of anything that happens in it, but because of the promise of what is to come.

Even though I really like this, I must say, I am not altogether impressed by King's run thus far.

I agree with Lashley, the car splitting in two was badass, along with the intro of the issue.

now here is my impresson

Batman #3
Everyone's impression was mixed on this but one thing for sure there is a lot of talking, and you know what? I liked it.

One scene did bother like others have said
why does batman start a conversation then zip away halfway but keeps talking. They can't hear him, and the speech bubbles don't indicate yelling/shouting

My favorite part is that we have more insight on how Gotham/Gotham girl began their obsession over batman, but still no explanation for powers.

I am ready for this arc to be over because the monster men crossover is going to be all kinds of hype

3.5/5 I liked it but it still needs some work

???

I think the implication being made here is that while they were
abroad, they allowed themselves to be experimented upon in order to grant them their powers. Hence the money transfer.

Also, the Gothams have Super Senses.

Dead

well not really...yet
http://www.newsarama.com/30245-dc-s...4-to-1-to-pre-rebirth-according-to-didio.html

Yet the Geoff Johns-led revamp “more than 100% exceeded our projections,” DiDio said, with DC’s sales from just the first week of August nearly matching those of the entire month of April.

Lee said that “we had a rough go of it last year,” saying that during last February’s ComicsPRO meeting, it was immediately apparent that “people were not happy.” But he said that with "Rebirth," sales numbers for second and third issues actually grew beyond their debut numbers, bucking the industry’s usual trends of attrition.

“Material that inspires media sells better than media that is derivative of media,” DiDio said, adding that while comic books are “a drop in the bucket” compared to television and film in terms of sheer numbers, “What we do in comics is to inspire others to be creative… the source material, the inspirational material is clearly the comics.”

Rebirth rankings:

Batman>>>Green Arrow>Superman>Hellblazer>GL>Justice League>>>>Aquaman

Batman was definitely a cut above the rest and really what I was waiting for from King's Batman.

Green Arrow I thought was really good and a lot of fun but I thought the dialogue was very cringey and just overall bad. That brought it down a bit for me, but I'm still really liking this book.

Justice League just felt weird. Two issues now that I really don't get a feel for anything but a rundown of the heroes and them dealing with some alien situation. Ehhh

Aquaman was shit and I'm done.

I'm waiting to see reviews for Birds, The characters just don't interest me much at all beyond Helena and the whole continuity of Babs being in two different places in concurrent books makes me care less? I know that's weird but meh.

GeeTeeCee

They don't appear to have done much with Duke Thomas in the Bat-titles yet. I don't even know what they're calling not-Robin yet. Is this going to be Harper Row all over again?

They don't appear to have done much with Duke Thomas in the Bat-titles yet. I don't even know what they're calling not-Robin yet. Is this going to be Harper Row all over again?

The way that Batman Rebirth issue felt makes me think that was all set up for Snyder's ASB. That rebirth issue felt more like it was written by Snyder than King and the fact that Duke hasn't shown up much at all makes me think it even more. With Snyder's title being in continuity I could see him wanting in on the Rebirth issue with it setting up his Batman as well.

My guess is that he's going to be in Snyder's All Star run and no one else wants to do anything much without seeing what direction Snyder's taking things.

MartyStu

Looks like we may have another dead
Robin
incoming.

And just when
Detective Comics
was getting a handle on the character again.

Ross61

Looks like we may have another dead
Robin
incoming.

And just when
Detective Comics
was getting a handle on the character again.

Just so you know,
Tim is also in Batman Beyond as the current Batman. They said that they plan on bringing back Terry Mcginnis.

VanWinkle

I'm pretty unimpressed with Rebirth. Love Green Arrow, Detective Comics is good, and the first issue of New Super-Man was fantastic though. I already dropped Batman (my favorite character), Aquaman, and Justice League. I'll try one more issue of Nightwing since the Rebirth one-shot was just tying up loose ends from his New 52 days. Haven't tried anything else, but will be buying the trades on Batman and Superman at least.

MartyStu

Just so you know,
Tim is also in Batman Beyond as the current Batman. They said that they plan on bringing back Terry Mcginnis.

I am aware, but the rumor I ran into did not seem to point to that.

That said, these things are usually a game of telephone. We shall find out soon enough.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Justice League #1 was good

Much better than JL Rebirth anyway.

And Simon is written a lot better here, than in Green Lanterns.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The art in Green Arrow is just beautiful

Was Batgirl/Birds of Prey any good?

EDIT: Green Arrow continues to be amazing. 5/5.

kmfdmpig

Agreed about Green Arrow. That has been great so far.

Batgirl/Birds of Prey was OK. Story was fairly good, art was a bit bad. Old Birds of Prey (Dixon + Simone) were some of my favorites ever, so I'll stick with it for a while, but it's not something that screams "buy me" in general.

Still loved GA but thought the dialogue was a little more cheesy and corny this issue. Was still great and a lot of fun though. Just going from Batman to that was rough.

Can you give examples? I could just be forgetting, but I don't remember the dialogue being bad.

Not off hand, I'd have to grab the tablet, stuff like Emiko at the end and the stuff with Canary questioning the ship dude stood out to me as just kind of corny. But at the same time I really liked the Diggle stuff?

I only said rough because I was coming from Batman. I just thought it was really corny.

TheFlow

Banned
Not off hand, I'd have to grab the tablet, stuff like Emiko at the end and the stuff with Canary questioning the ship dude stood out to me as just kind of corny. But at the same time I really liked the Diggle stuff?

I only said rough because I was coming from Batman. I just thought it was really corny.

I thought Batman had the weaker dialog/panels.

I thought Batman had the weaker dialog/panels.

Wow really? I thought the whole retelling of the Wayne's turning into the history of Gotham with the bit about "No" with the tittle I am Gotham was so good. The narrator reveal at the end felt a little second hat after seeing it in Vision and Omega Men but I still think King is great at it.

MartyStu

Wow really? I thought the whole retelling of the Wayne's turning into the history of Gotham with the bit about "No" with the tittle I am Gotham was so good. The narrator reveal at the end felt a little second hat after seeing it in Vision and Omega Men but I still think King is great at it.

Agree with you.

Batman was fairly tightly written this week. It was very Snyder-eque actually.

Effect

Superman #3

Good backstory that finally explains everything to me but
the dog. how did he get there, or this is new 52 krypto

tumblr_n5usiaazEe1r72ht7o1_500.gif

5/5 JON IS GOING TO REKT!

Finally got a chance to read issue 3 and had a similar take away. Something got awoken and it's likely to a Gohan moment and I can't wait.

TheFlow

Banned

It was cheese. also batman flying away while talking to the people he saved was poorly drawn.

Green Arrow just does everything at such a high level

It was cheese. also batman flying away while talking to the people he saved was poorly drawn.

Green Arrow just does everything at such a high level

Went back and reread over the weekend and I still have to completely disagree with you. I was the biggest Percy hater before Rebirth and he surprised me and I've actually really liked GA up to this issue.

There was just so much damn cheese and forced hokiness in this issue and it has been what I haven't liked about Percy during his DCYou run. Stuff like Oliver talking about his childhood and his dad making a metaphor for his ivory tower was really dumb and forced lines like the bad guy "wearing a mask all along" just seems so damn forced to me. OOOOHHhhhhh you get it?! Because his regular every day face was ACTUALLY his mask!!!!! Holy shit!!!!1 It's like he's trying to get what he thinks is awesome metaphor's and quippy dialogue in and it just comes off as stupid and forced.

Re-reading actually made me like this issue less. Because I thought the writing was cheesy and dumb but rereading lost a lot of the fun. Him breaking into his own building made the security seem a little over-excessive, then it seems like the dude has the complete run of the building with all his lackeys in it so why couldn't he get rid of Oliver the entire time? Especially if he knew his identity already? The Emiko suddenly knows Canary is on that ship, but only she knows it, not all the people who actually run the boat, or anyone having seen the cameras. On top of all the cheesy dialogue of her talking about Oliver only caring about Emiko and Dina.

TheFlow

Banned
Went back and reread over the weekend and I still have to completely disagree with you. I was the biggest Percy hater before Rebirth and he surprised me and I've actually really liked GA up to this issue.

There was just so much damn cheese and forced hokiness in this issue and it has been what I haven't liked about Percy during his DCYou run. Stuff like Oliver talking about his childhood and his dad making a metaphor for his ivory tower was really dumb and forced lines like the bad guy "wearing a mask all along" just seems so damn forced to me. OOOOHHhhhhh you get it?! Because his regular every day face was ACTUALLY his mask!!!!! Holy shit!!!!1 It's like he's trying to get what he thinks is awesome metaphor's and quippy dialogue in and it just comes off as stupid and forced.

Re-reading actually made me like this issue less. Because I thought the writing was cheesy and dumb but rereading lost a lot of the fun. Him breaking into his own building made the security seem a little over-excessive, then it seems like the dude has the complete run of the building with all his lackeys in it so why couldn't he get rid of Oliver the entire time? Especially if he knew his identity already? The Emiko suddenly knows Canary is on that ship, but only she knows it, not all the people who actually run the boat, or anyone having seen the cameras. On top of all the cheesy dialogue of her talking about Oliver only caring about Emiko and Dina.
Well worded counter argument, I never noticed the cheese because the artwork and panels are done so well. It was kinda cheesy but I still love it.

Don't know if it was mentioned yet but the rebirth trades are coming in January, no hardcovers, they plan to release them more frequently. Good news for people like me.

they plan to release them more frequently.

We're talking DC here. If they manage that, it will be a first.

Just looked. Amazon has the first trades dropping in MARCH 2017. That's...insane. We'll be 14-16 issues into the bimonthly books when the first trades drop. And I'm guessing they'll only contain the first 6 issues, since that's standard for trades. In other words, you might be a whopping 10 books behind if you trade wait.

Pretty nice haul this week. Lets see.

Batgirl #1 Pretty good Batgirl seems to be written as far less developed as a crime fighter than even Red Robin though, which seems weird to me. But that could be correct given the Nu52 timeline. We don't know how long she was in a chair vs when Red Robin debuted or even when Batgirl debuted given that she's being written much younger than she was. But my back of the envelope maths suggests Tim has probably been active about 3 years (maybe with an extra years training before that), and Barbara should have more experience than this, though she's probably only been back being Batgirl for about a year, after a couple of years in the chair (maybe as much as 4?), but she should have been Batgirl for at least a couple of years before that.

Titans #1: Meh. Show's some promise but they still haven't really done much to cover who these characters are except for Wally , and Roy a little bit.

Red Hood Rebirth: Not sure yet. There's no Outlaws in this one, it's all Jason. They seem to be trying to make him
into an Anti-Hero this time around
. Dunno how well it'll work but it's pretty much the only thing they could do for someone who needs to be active in Gotham / Bat Crossovers.

Nightwing #1:
I'd be annoyed by how much of a chump Nightwing seems if I didn't suspect it was a con.
Otherwise we seem to have a solid direction.

Tec: Still liking it. This issue focuses on
Batman.
Which shouldn't surprise anyone. Also turns out some of the Colony's tech is
actually stuff they've been reverse engineering and modifying from the Bats. Which does explain where super advanced tech comes from to some extent. They got to leap frog.
And they've
literally been copying Batman's fighting style and movement
which explains how they got around the teacher thing.
Also it must be freaking weird to be as freaked out as Batman clearly is by people who seem to genuinely respect him but don't grok his morality at all.

WhiteWolf

How connected are all the Bat books? Can I just read Batman and Detective? I am trying to narrow down the Rebirth books I read and I think I settled on the following:

Batman
Detective
Superman

When they release:
Suicide Squad
Trinity

Maybe add in Wonder Woman and Green Arrow. Any other suggestions?

How connected are all the Bat books? Can I just read Batman and Detective? I am trying to narrow down the Rebirth books I read and I think I settled on the following:

Batman
Detective
Superman

When they release:
Suicide Squad
Trinity

Maybe add in Wonder Woman and Green Arrow. Any other suggestions?

I'd suggest New Super-Man and yes, you should definitely try Green Arrow. Pretty standard story but still very fun and gorgeous artwork.

The Bat books are all fairly independent so far but I think there's a crossover coming in a few months. I don't know which books will be affected. Hopefully, they don't ruin the entire Batman line with shitty crossovers like they did with Superman before Rebirth.

aly

Red Hood Rebirth: Pretty good so far. I'm actually excited about this book again. Must be the new editor .

Nightwing #1:
Everything but the dick/babs stuff was ok. Pls kill that annoying pairing. Raptor is savage.

Red Hood Rebirth: Pretty good so far. I'm actually excited about this book again. Must be the new editor .

Nightwing #1:
Everything but the dick/babs stuff was ok. Pls kill that annoying pairing. Raptor is savage.

I haven't read it yet, but does
Barbara making an appearance in Nightwing mean this book is in the future too? It's already weird with birds of prey happening meanwhile she's supposed to be backpacking somewhere training.

I haven't read it yet, but does
Barbara making an appearance in Nightwing mean this book is in the future too? It's already weird with birds of prey happening meanwhile she's supposed to be backpacking somewhere training.

I'd say it's more like Barbra's book is in the past, considering that there's now 2 books taking place post training-in-Asia.

And Red Hood books are always decent in the moment-to-moment, it's only when you take a step back and realize that Lobdell's executed like 4 different total overhauls in 10 issues that it starts to get wacky.

I still like 'em.

I'd say it's more like Barbra's book is in the past, considering that there's now 2 books taking place post training-in-Asia.

And Red Hood books are always decent in the moment-to-moment, it's only when you take a step back and realize that Lobdell's executed like 4 different total overhauls in 10 issues that it starts to get wacky.

I still like 'em.

I guess that would make more sense, but for some reason I was thinking Birds of Prey was specifically said to be later in the continuity or in the future. But I was mainly going off previews.

TheFlow

Banned
Ah so Barbara book is just past training and everything else is current. Otherwise ot wouldn't make sense for her to be in theot Ham area in two books

aly

Yeah the Batgirl issues are strange in placement. But not a problem so far such as making things confusing for the books shes currently in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom