• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

V_Ben
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:32 PM)
V_Ben's Avatar

Originally Posted by donkey show

Maybe now I can finally talk. :lol

Ooh! :D
TTP
Have a fun! Enjoy!
(05-07-2010, 09:33 PM)
TTP's Avatar

Originally Posted by ULTROS!

It's been 30 minutes and no one is posting the info. D:

Crisis fainted for the awesomeness
demosthenes
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:33 PM)
demosthenes's Avatar
So Sephiroth confirmed for LBP2? :lol
mr_nothin
Banned
(05-07-2010, 09:34 PM)
mr_nothin's Avatar
I think they cancelled a lot of the DLC for the 1st LBP and opted to just include it with LBP2. They probably had to hold all of the ideas they had for the original "LBP Service" plan. They probably reached their ceiling in terms of new customers so Sony stepped in and had them start working on LBP2. They need a reboot, whether MM thinks so or not. They have to refresh the interest in the LBP universe/franchise.
krimsoncharge
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:35 PM)
Oh finally :D
Majine
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:36 PM)
Majine's Avatar
The problem with LBP is that it is a game made to last forever, it can supply itself with new content and such.

But the marketing to support that idea has never been there. Sure, there was the GOTY edition, but it really sneaked out in the stores, without anyone really noticing.
gofreak
GAF's Bob Woodward
(05-07-2010, 09:37 PM)
gofreak's Avatar
:?

I'm DYIN' here.
jump_button
Banned
(05-07-2010, 09:38 PM)
jump_button's Avatar

Originally Posted by donkey show

Maybe now I can finally talk. :lol

Not just yet *bites my tongue too* who knows what Mm have plan.
TTP
Have a fun! Enjoy!
(05-07-2010, 09:39 PM)
TTP's Avatar
I might do the talking since MM doesn't know me :P
wizword
Banned
(05-07-2010, 09:39 PM)

Originally Posted by jump_button

Not just yet *bites my tongue too* who knows what Mm have plan.

Is it significantly better than littlebigplanet? I wish someone would tell me. Right now it is such a tease.
Lagspike_exe
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:39 PM)
Lagspike_exe's Avatar

Originally Posted by TTP

I might do the talking since MM doesn't know me :P

Please? :(
Crisis
Banned
(05-07-2010, 09:40 PM)
Crisis's Avatar
Okay. Here we go:
LittleBigPlanet 2 Game Informer June 2010 Issue Information
Context about the first LittleBigPlanet
- The first LBP was never intended to be a simple platforming game
- Over 2 million levels available online
- About 56,000 new levels per week on average
LittleBigPlanet 2 Information Starts Here:
- LBP 2 has less of a focus on platforming altogether and it's more of a platform to actually create games with
- There is an all-new level creator and it is not just a tool to create platform games.
- As examples, the game 100% encourages the player to create game types and wants you to make a shooter, a racer, puzzle games, Space Invaders clones, even RPGs
- A player can even customize a HUD. The example given is a health bar for a fighting game.
- A Media Molecule developer has created a fully-functioning Command & Conquer Clone
- Media Molecule loves that a lot of user-created levels in LBP1 were homages to classic games and laments that so many manipulations of the creation tools were necessary to do them. Sackboy won't need to be "hidden behind the curtain" when you make games with LBP2.
- There is a new super-important creator tool called "direct control seats"
- (from previous point) In LBP1, lots of people made rudimentary "hold R1 to accelerate" vehicles. Mark Healy created a car out of rubber wheels and a bottle, then placed a direct control seat in it. He pulled up an interface that resembled a PS3 controller and assigned commands to buttons.
- Example given was assigning Sixaxis tilt for forward and reverse, horn on the X button.
- You are no longer limited to the game's stock sound effects. You can record your own sounds and voices, attaching them to characters or objects. Magic Mouth from the original LBP is gone
- Direct control seat's control scheme is instantly accessible and you can attach it only to the part of the vehicle you want it to control.
- Example was given about the 8/16-bit remakes/tributes having to use the signature gameplay mechanics of LBP. That is no longer true in LBP2. A creator can place a direct control seat on their own platforming protagonist and complete it with a customized control scheme.
- Example of the previous was Yoshi's Island. If a player creates the perfect recreation of the SNES-era jump they can share it with anyone in the community.
- There is an in-game microchip that functions as a calculator and it is a direct response/homage to PSN user Upsilandre (seriously, he's mentioned by name)
- Enemies in the original title could only be programmed with super-basic commands and most resembled marionettes.
- Users will be able to take a template for an enemy called a Sackbot, tweak the AI and dress it in any way they choose.
- Creators can choose the weak points on the Sackbot, determine if it is scared of heights, and even program acting routines.
- A disco scene was set up by Media Molecule and two employees recorded together on a single Sackbot. They moved its arms and bobbed its head in a dancing routine. JUST the AI was copied and pasted onto twenty different Sackbots. Each Sackbot was given its own unique look.
- There are now movie editing options as well.
- Every LBP2 player will receive their own profile on LBP.me. It will display your activity feed as well as previews of their own stages
- There will be user-created integration in QR codes as well. They can be printed on advertisements, business cards, and automatically load a level when held up to the PlayStation Eye. There is no special menu to do this. Any time the PS3 is turned on and running LBP 2, you can wave it in front of the Eye.
- If you are not near your PS3 you can take a quick photo with your smartphone to see an online preview of the level and add it directly to your level queue.
- For creators of multiple levels, you will be able to string your stages together so that they flow from one level to the next.
- Sackbots can be drastically increased or decreased in physical size.
- Sackbots can be controlled by direct control seats as well.
- There is a new gadget (like the MGS paintball gun). It is a big-ass grappling hook.
- Media Molecule says explicitly there are multiple more gadgets coming.
- All DLC from LBP1 transfers over to LBP2. Including downloaded content packs, costumes, etc.
- There is a major overhaul to the story level as well. There's the same 3-plane perspective for the story mode and the levels so far have a similar run-jump-grab platform style.
- Storyline is not country-based like last time, but is based in periods of time
- Here is a list of levels and summaries so far:

- Techno Renaissance: Whimsical alternative take of the Renaissance period. Leonardo da Vinci-like character to guide him through a technology-based twist level

- Steam & Cake: Steampunk-style level based on a fucked-up tea and cake party

- Neon Propaganda: Cold-war era posters line a factory environment where Sackboy is liberating oppressed workers. There is a grim nature to the level that is totally opposed to the neon lights and signs.

- Fluffy High-Tech: Various high-end technology equipments like video walls are mixed with bunnies and fluffy sheep. It is a cold, futuristic environment populated by adorable creatures

- Designer Organic: Eco-architecture comes together around a designed and controlled version of nature. Described as "art noveau". The closest to nature Sackboy gets in this game. Elaborate designs comprised of plants.

- Hand-Made Arcade: A super-tribute level to tons of arcade classics. Embraces the hand-made art from the first game. Pixels made of cardboard and wood.


- Circuit boards (like the calculator) can get extremely complicated and they have a very distinct interface
- Creators can make full-on cutscenes. Camera angles and voice-overs included. Creators can even make little five-minute short films. These levels are clearly marked on the stage select screen so you can tell whether you're watching or playing the level.
Lagspike_exe
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:41 PM)
Lagspike_exe's Avatar
FUCK YEAH! Thank you Crisis.
Concept17
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:41 PM)
Concept17's Avatar
o_0
wizword
Banned
(05-07-2010, 09:41 PM)
greatest game ever.
mr_nothin
Banned
(05-07-2010, 09:42 PM)
mr_nothin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Crisis

Okay. Here we go:

LittleBigPlanet 2 Game Informer June 2010 Issue Information
Context about the first LittleBigPlanet
- The first LBP was never intended to be a simple platforming game
- Over 2 million levels available online
- About 56,000 new levels per week on average
LittleBigPlanet 2 Information Starts Here:
- LBP 2 has less of a focus on platforming altogether and it's more of a platform to actually create games with
- There is an all-new level creator and it is not just a tool to create platform games.
- As examples, the game 100% encourages the player to create game types and wants you to make a shooter, a racer, puzzle games, Space Invaders clones, even RPGs
- A player can even customize a HUD. The example given is a health bar for a fighting game.

- A Media Molecule developer has created a fully-functioning Command & Conquer Clone
- Media Molecule loves that a lot of user-created levels in LBP1 were homages to classic games and laments that so many manipulations of the creation tools were necessary to do them. Sackboy won't need to be "hidden behind the curtain" when you make games with LBP2.
- There is a new super-important creator tool called "direct control seats"
- (from previous point) In LBP1, lots of people made rudimentary "hold R1 to accelerate" vehicles. Mark Healy created a car out of rubber wheels and a bottle, then placed a direct control seat in it. He pulled up an interface that resembled a PS3 controller and assigned commands to buttons.
- Example given was assigning Sixaxis tilt for forward and reverse, horn on the X button.
- You are no longer limited to the game's stock sound effects. You can record your own sounds and voices, attaching them to characters or objects. Magic Mouth from the original LBP is gone
- Direct control seat's control scheme is instantly accessible and you can attach it only to the part of the vehicle you want it to control.
- Example was given about the 8/16-bit remakes/tributes having to use the signature gameplay mechanics of LBP. That is no longer true in LBP2. A creator can place a direct control seat on their own platforming protagonist and complete it with a customized control scheme.
- Example of the previous was Yoshi's Island. If a player creates the perfect recreation of the SNES-era jump they can share it with anyone in the community.
- There is an in-game microchip that functions as a calculator and it is a direct response/homage to PSN user Upsilandre (seriously, he's mentioned by name)
- Enemies in the original title could only be programmed with super-basic commands and most resembled marionettes.
- Users will be able to take a template for an enemy called a Sackbot, tweak the AI and dress it in any way they choose.
- Creators can choose the weak points on the Sackbot, determine if it is scared of heights, and even program acting routines.
- A disco scene was set up by Media Molecule and two employees recorded together on a single Sackbot. They moved its arms and bobbed its head in a dancing routine. JUST the AI was copied and pasted onto twenty different Sackbots. Each Sackbot was given its own unique look.
- There are now movie editing options as well.
- Every LBP2 player will receive their own profile on LBP.me. It will display your activity feed as well as previews of their own stages
- There will be user-created integration in QR codes as well. They can be printed on advertisements, business cards, and automatically load a level when held up to the PlayStation Eye. There is no special menu to do this. Any time the PS3 is turned on and running LBP 2, you can wave it in front of the Eye.
- If you are not near your PS3 you can take a quick photo with your smartphone to see an online preview of the level and add it directly to your level queue.
- For creators of multiple levels, you will be able to string your stages together so that they flow from one level to the next.
- Sackbots can be drastically increased or decreased in physical size.
- Sackbots can be controlled by direct control seats as well.
- There is a new gadget (like the MGS paintball gun). It is a big-ass grappling hook.
- Media Molecule says explicitly there are multiple more gadgets coming.
- All DLC from LBP1 transfers over to LBP2. Including downloaded content packs, costumes, etc.
- There is a major overhaul to the story level as well. There's the same 3-plane perspective for the story mode and the levels so far have a similar run-jump-grab platform style.
- Storyline is not country-based like last time, but is based in periods of time
- Here is a list of levels and summaries so far:

- Techno Renaissance: Whimsical alternative take of the Renaissance period. Leonardo da Vinci-like character to guide him through a technology-based twist level

- Steam & Cake: Steampunk-style level based on a fucked-up tea and cake party

- Neon Propaganda: Cold-war era posters line a factory environment where Sackboy is liberating oppressed workers. There is a grim nature to the level that is totally opposed to the neon lights and signs.

- Fluffy High-Tech: Various high-end technology equipments like video walls are mixed with bunnies and fluffy sheep. It is a cold, futuristic environment populated by adorable creatures

- Designer Organic: Eco-architecture comes together around a designed and controlled version of nature. Described as "art noveau". The closest to nature Sackboy gets in this game. Elaborate designs comprised of plants.

- Hand-Made Arcade: A super-tribute level to tons of arcade classics. Embraces the hand-made art from the first game. Pixels made of cardboard and wood.


- Circuit boards (like the calculator) can get extremely complicated and they have a very distinct interface
- Creators can make full-on cutscenes. Camera angles and voice-overs included. Creators can even make little five-minute short films. These levels are clearly marked on the stage select screen so you can tell whether you're watching or playing the level.

OH FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
J!#L%KJ!#L%JK!#%J#!LJ%L!KJ#%KLJ#!%KL!L#J

It sounds like what I wanted LBP to be
OMG!
I've only read to the bolded part and im excited. WTF!
Galvanise_
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:43 PM)
Galvanise_'s Avatar
Yes!
edbrat
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:43 PM)
well, I'm impressed. And excited. Very excited.
gofreak
GAF's Bob Woodward
(05-07-2010, 09:43 PM)
gofreak's Avatar
HOLY SHIT.

I think I need to re-read that.
TTP
Have a fun! Enjoy!
(05-07-2010, 09:43 PM)
TTP's Avatar
HOLY FUCKING SHIT
mr_nothin
Banned
(05-07-2010, 09:43 PM)
mr_nothin's Avatar
Assigning commands to buttons?!
D:
D:
D:

That is no longer true in LBP2. A creator can place a direct control seat on their own platforming protagonist and complete it with a customized control scheme

You can change the controls of the entire game!
D:
BeeDog
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:43 PM)
BeeDog's Avatar
WOW.
iceatcs
Banned
(05-07-2010, 09:44 PM)
iceatcs's Avatar
almost like LBP engine have been give away for public.

Lot of nice features. WOW.
Fersis
It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
(05-07-2010, 09:44 PM)
Fersis's Avatar
Wow.

Thats ambitious as hell... just like the first LBP.
V_Ben
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:44 PM)
V_Ben's Avatar
holy shit. that sounds like it will undoubtedly be the greatest creation tool ever. :D
Revolutionary
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:45 PM)
Revolutionary's Avatar

- As examples, the game 100% encourages the player to create game types and wants you to make a shooter, a racer, puzzle games, Space Invaders clones, even RPGs
- tons of other new and awesome features

GOTY

Thanks, Crisis.
Lagspike_exe
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:45 PM)
Lagspike_exe's Avatar
OH - MY - FUCKING - GOD

/jawdrop
mr_nothin
Banned
(05-07-2010, 09:46 PM)
mr_nothin's Avatar

- Example of the previous was Yoshi's Island. If a player creates the perfect recreation of the SNES-era jump they can share it with anyone in the community.

Are you telling me we can actually control the ACTUAL mechanics/properties of the mechanics?!!?

We'll be able to control the actual physics of the jump!?!?!
OMFG
gofreak
GAF's Bob Woodward
(05-07-2010, 09:46 PM)
gofreak's Avatar
Direct control seat is such a simple and perfect solution.

No, you can't change SACKBOY's controls - would be weird, his mechanics changing all the time - but create YOUR OWN CHARACTER with its own physics/controls, made just for your level.
Majine
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:46 PM)
Majine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Crisis

- There is a new gadget (like the MGS paintball gun). It is a big-ass grappling hook.

Need for sequal = JUSTIFIED.

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2? Pfft.
A.R.K
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:47 PM)
A.R.K's Avatar

Originally Posted by Crisis

Okay. Here we go:

WOW! thats .. thats....f'ing huge!!!!

MM PLEASE FIX THE LOOSE CONTROLS!!!! I hate the platform jumping in LBP. And for a game that was geared towards younger audience it is very frustrating when the jumping is so loose. PLEASE PLEASE fix this. THANKS
TTP
Have a fun! Enjoy!
(05-07-2010, 09:47 PM)
TTP's Avatar
Can u describe the looks of it Crisis?
Ninja_Hawk
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:47 PM)
Ninja_Hawk's Avatar
This is alot deeper than I thought a direct sequel would be, WOW!!! I won't be making anything but I definitely look forward to you guys levels lol, WOOT!!!
gofreak
GAF's Bob Woodward
(05-07-2010, 09:47 PM)
gofreak's Avatar
Also...a command and conquer clone? :lol That is crazy. Does this mean perspective controls? Actually I guess it wouldn't be necessary. With the tools they outline it would be possible to do without an explicit camera change. Just treat it as if you're looking down instead of looking across...the user needn't know...
B1gg_Randall
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:47 PM)
B1gg_Randall's Avatar
Damn...I think im going to get LBP again.I cant wait to see what people put out for LBP 2!!! :D
demosthenes
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:48 PM)
demosthenes's Avatar
O.m.g.

DO WANT
DMeisterJ
Banned
(05-07-2010, 09:49 PM)
DMeisterJ's Avatar
Sheeeeeeeiiiit.

Day 1

I'd have been happy with more of the same. But all this? And the DLC makes it over.

I said Goddam
TTP
Have a fun! Enjoy!
(05-07-2010, 09:49 PM)
TTP's Avatar

Originally Posted by gofreak

Also...a command and conquer clone? :lol That is crazy. Does this mean perspective controls? Actually I guess it wouldn't be necessary. With the tools they outline it would be possible to do without an explicit camera change. Just treat it as if you're looking down instead of looking across...the user needn't know...

Yep. And I guess that applies to racing games as well. Albeit you should have some control over gravity.
Galvanise_
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:49 PM)
Galvanise_'s Avatar
I mean I'd heard tidbits and chatter on what they were working on. . .but this is much more ambitious than I was told. I mean, I was told it was ambitious, but this is much more genius than I had anticipated.

I'm actually shocked here. Please god let this be at the E3 presentation to drop a few jaws.
donkey show
Little Big Dev
(05-07-2010, 09:50 PM)
donkey show's Avatar
You guys are going to like the Designer Organic and Fluffly High Tech levels. They're straight beautiful. :)

Told you Mm knew what they had to do. :lol
demosthenes
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:50 PM)
demosthenes's Avatar

Originally Posted by DMeisterJ

Sheeeeeeeiiiit.

Day 1

I'd have been happy with more of the same. But all this? And the DLC makes it over.

I said Goddam

DLC transfer is freaking amazing.
mr_nothin
Banned
(05-07-2010, 09:51 PM)
mr_nothin's Avatar

Originally Posted by gofreak

Direct control seat is such a simple and perfect solution.

No, you can't change SACKBOY's controls - would be weird, his mechanics changing all the time - but create YOUR OWN CHARACTER with its own physics/controls, made just for your level.


- Example was given about the 8/16-bit remakes/tributes having to use the signature gameplay mechanics of LBP. That is no longer true in LBP2. A creator can place a direct control seat on their own platforming protagonist and complete it with a customized control scheme.

But that sounds like you can place a Direct control seat right on the character and customize the controls.......

Originally Posted by donkey show

You guys are going to like the Designer Organic and Fluffly High Tech levels. They're straight beautiful. :)

Told you Mm knew what they had to do. :lol

So what I said about Mm having to basically hold back stuff from LBP1 because they had to use it for LBP2 was pretty much what was going on?

Originally Posted by TTP

Yep. And I guess that applies to racing games as well. Albeit you should have some control over gravity.

So you've known about and seen LBP2 also?
Kazuma Kiryu
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:51 PM)
Kazuma Kiryu's Avatar
holy shit. 2010 one of the best gaming years ever confirmed.
TTP
Have a fun! Enjoy!
(05-07-2010, 09:52 PM)
TTP's Avatar

Originally Posted by donkey show

You guys are going to like the Designer Organic and Fluffly High Tech levels. They're straight beautiful. :)

Told you Mm knew what they had to do. :lol

Are levels still composed of 3 layers? More perhaps?
Sin
Member
(05-07-2010, 09:52 PM)
Sin's Avatar
LBP2 <3 :)
Crisis
Banned
(05-07-2010, 09:53 PM)
Crisis's Avatar

Originally Posted by TTP

Can u describe the looks of it Crisis?

Sure. Quality-wise is is very, very close to the first game. However this is not even close to true of all the screenshots of the levels. Things look far less rudimentary in the levels this time around. One thing that I am genuinely liking and I hope is transferring to all the other user-creation tools is how the game shows you what commands are assigned to what microchips. Best way to explain it is to have you think of what happens when you press on a link on the iPhone. It blows up the microchip's commands with a little transparent, green comic-book style speech bubble part at the bottom pointing to the microchip it represents.

Sackbot templates start as a square-ish version of Sackboy with no faces. They resemble a wooden puppet very much. There are all kinds of various lighting effects on display. My favorite one (because it's so unique) is the 8-bit pixel Apple II-style lighting. You'll see what I mean by that when your issue gets in.
gofreak
GAF's Bob Woodward
(05-07-2010, 09:53 PM)
gofreak's Avatar

Originally Posted by kazuma_pt

holy shit. 2010 one of the best gaming years ever confirmed.

I can only add one bit of info I heard very very reliably, and that is that it's not coming this year. Early next.

Thread Tools