• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Vitacat

If you downgrade and install CFW on a N3ds, can you do a system transfer from a non-hacked N3ds afterwards?

Once you have hacked a 3ds it stays hacked, even if you update to 11.0? Is that correct?

My other 3ds is on already 11.0, unfortunately, so it will have to remain non-hacked.

Rich!

Okay, I'll go down this path. What do I lose by not using GW anymore? (Besides the cart menu)

And can I keep using all my eshop stuff with no downsides?

You lose the gateway menu, but have true custom firmware with update support, overclocking for regular 3DS games on a N3DS, GBA support and instant booting into CFW. CFW will also run natively from sysnand - no more emunand.

If you have anything installed on your current gateway emunand though, say bye to it or back it up to CIA beforehand. Because the guide will format everything but your sysnand.

XaosWolf

You lose the gateway menu, but have true custom firmware with update support, overclocking for regular 3DS games on a N3DS, GBA support and instant booting into CFW. CFW will also run natively from sysnand - no more emunand.

If you have anything installed on your current gateway emunand though, say bye to it or back it up to CIA beforehand. Because the guide will format everything but your sysnand.

So back up saves, then once I'm done I can link my NNID, redownload everything and restore the saves.

Anything else I need to be careful of Rich?

Rich!

So back up saves, then once I'm done I can link my NNID, redownload everything and restore the saves.

Anything else I need to be careful of Rich?

As long as you follow the guide you'll be fine. Back up the saves first. Don't link your NNID until the guide tells you as you will lock yourself out with a forced update - the NNID is tied to hardware, remember.

Set aside a few hours, and if you have a N3DS, make sure you have the bottom panel taken off for SD access and keep WiFi on when you downgrade to 2.1 (yes, that's part of the process).

But yeah once done its amazing - turn the 3DS on, instantly in custom firmware. No fuss, and you can update the firmware with no issues regardless of what Nintendo puts out.

Doopliss

Following the guide normally will have you transfer your emunand to sysnand with all your apps, saves and settings intact. Of course if your emunand is somehow corrupted that may not be desirable.

XaosWolf

Following the guide normally will have you transfer your emunand to sysnand with all your apps, saves and settings intact. Of course if your emunand is somehow corrupted that may not be desirable.

I dunno which one is corrupted, so a fresh start will probably be for the best.

Okay, I've backed up the saves I actually care about. Now should I format sysnand in some way before starting?

EDIT: Okay, I think the camera is completely fucked. We'll see if it kicks in once I finish Plailect's guide, but no big deal right now.

What's the best emulator available to play the SNES version of Yoshi's Island? I have a New 3DS, and since it's looking like this game still cannot be emulated by Nintendo for some reason, I decided to find my old rip and wanted to pair it with the emulator that would offer the best performance.

Opa-Pa

New page so I'll ask again:

I have an OG 3DS with 11.0.0-33 laying around. Is it possible to somehow get homebrew running on it with the help of my SmileBASIC-hacked n3DS? I have Ocarina 3D. Managed to put oothax in it and all but I never got to make it work despite reading it was still possible with enough retries. And even if I was lucky to get Homebrew running, any secondary hax that'd help me to reliably get it running from there? I'm not interested in CFW, just regular homebrew access.

What's the best emulator available to play the SNES version of Yoshi's Island? I have a New 3DS, and since it's looking like this game still cannot be emulated by Nintendo for some reason, I decided to find my old rip and wanted to pair it with the emulator that would offer the best performance.
Look up the 1.33 version of retroarch 3DS and use pocketsnes. I've heard it runs games with special chips the best and it seems to be true based on some testing I did. Yoshi's Island runs pretty good, but I only played the tutorial level.

n0razi

Kind of out there but does anyone know what firmware range is likely for a new Happy Home Designer n3DS bundle (Japanese regular sized).

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Look up the 1.33 version of retroarch 3DS and use pocketsnes. I've heard it runs games with special chips the best and it seems to be true based on some testing I did. Yoshi's Island runs pretty good, but I only played the tutorial level.

That's gonna be a controversial statement, but so far I think the best way to play YI on (n)3DS is to use the GBA "Virtual Console" with the color restoration and ghosting removal patches, as well as patching the Yoshi Island rom with the voice removal and color restoration patches. That's a lot of hoops to jump through and still not as good as the SNES version, but it's pretty darn close.

Joey Ravn

Banned
That's gonna be a controversial statement, but so far I think the best way to play YI on (n)3DS is to use the GBA "Virtual Console" with the color restoration and ghosting removal patches, as well as patching the Yoshi Island rom with the voice removal and color restoration patches. That's a lot of hoops to jump through and still not as good as the SNES version, but it's pretty darn close.

Out of curiosity, can RetroArch emulate Yoshi's Island properly on (N)3DS? Injection is out of the question, but I've never tried the game with RetroArch.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiosity, can RetroArch emulate Yoshi's Island properly on (N)3DS? Injection is out of the question, but I've never tried the game with RetroArch.
It's fine on Pocketsnes but has microstutters regularily IIRC.

Opa-Pa

Eh that's sounds reasonable enough. I can't stand that port but I never tried it (heavily) patched. I think I'll give it a go if the stuttering in pocketsnes gets too annoying.

About that. Is GBA emulation viable outside of injection and running emulators as cia? I tried mgba and it was uuh not very good and gPSP crashed on me, but I think it's because it needs the BIOS.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Eh that's sounds reasonable enough. I can't stand that port but I never tried it (heavily) patched. I think I'll give it a go if the stuttering in pocketsnes gets too annoying.

About that. Is GBA emulation viable outside of injection and running emulators as cia? I tried mgba and it was uuh not very good and gPSP crashed on me, but I think it's because it needs the BIOS.

I prefer GBA VC now that the image is fixed because it runs on native hardware, but the little I tried gPSP seemed very good.

Opa-Pa

So gPSP works great save for a few graphical problems here and there, but I'm having trouble remapping buttons. For some reason Core Input Options doesn't show Y, X, L or R so I'm stuck with Y and X having L and R mapped to them.

I've only found like three people mentioning this online, asking how to solve it and no one replies. I can't figure out if this is something inherent to the emulator that's yet to be fixed or I'm doing something wrong.

Madao

lately, my A9LH N3DS has been getting errors with Pokemon games (Y and Omega Ruby)
it's the error that has a black screen on the upper screen and displays "Error" in the lower screen and prompts to turn off the device.
i think i also got the same error with a different game once.

has someone had a similar issue? this is kinda annoying.

lately, my A9LH N3DS has been getting errors with Pokemon games (Y and Omega Ruby)
it's the error that has a black screen on the upper screen and displays "Error" in the lower screen and prompts to turn off the device.

These are generally caused by either a file on the SD being corrupt or the SD itself having issues.

I was using 128 GB SDXC cards that kept overheating at one point. Switched to 64 GB in a different brand (and reverted to a good backup) and haven't had an issue since.

Opa-Pa

Plailect's guide is the one stop shop. It should really be in the OP.
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
Yo this helped me install basehaxx, thanks a lot. That's another problem solved.

It could be something else, but I had this problem repeatedly with games like Smash and others that read the SD frequently. Apparently it was my SD, once I got a new one it was fixed, so you might want to see if it keeps happening with a different one.
-----------

Still curious about the gPSP thing. Is it just not possible to remap X, Y, L, and R?

Rich!

It is possible to remap in gpsp but for some reason it doesn't allow you from the menu. Do a custom config and save it, then do the same in a SNES core. Open the retroarch folder on the SD card and edit the ini file manually using the SNES remap ini as a reference.

Then lock it as read only.

Madao

These are generally caused by either a file on the SD being corrupt or the SD itself having issues.

I was using 128 GB SDXC cards that kept overheating at one point. Switched to 64 GB in a different brand (and reverted to a good backup) and haven't had an issue since.

Yo this helped me install basehaxx, thanks a lot. That's another problem solved.

It could be something else, but I had this problem repeatedly with games like Smash and others that read the SD frequently. Apparently it was my SD, once I got a new one it was fixed, so you might want to see if it keeps happening with a different one.
-----------

Still curious about the gPSP thing. Is it just not possible to remap X, Y, L, and R?

okay, i switched to a different SD card.

let's hope things go smoother down the line. the system booted fine but it didn't give problems at this stage before.
i'll test the pokemon games later.

Opa-Pa

It is possible to remap in gpsp but for some reason it doesn't allow you from the menu. Do a custom config and save it, then do the same in a SNES core. Open the retroarch folder on the SD card and edit the ini file manually using the SNES remap ini as a reference.

Then lock it as read only.

That was ridiculously tricky because the set numbers for each input were different between the cores but it worked out in the end. Thanks man, I swear no one ever brings it up and having to play 3DS VC style to avoid it was driving me insane.

Hey, so my N3DS has been on 10.1 firmware for-fucking-ever and I finally wanna do all the downgrading and stuff, since I planned on doing it months ago, but never felt the need to do it until recently.

I'm presuming that that Plailect's guide is the way to go, right? Will I need anything else (besides a few hours of my time) to do this stuff?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, so my N3DS has been on 10.1 firmware for-fucking-ever and I finally wanna do all the downgrading and stuff, since I planned on doing it months ago, but never felt the need to do it until recently.

I'm presuming that that Plailect's guide is the way to go, right? Will I need anything else (besides a few hours of my time) to do this stuff?

Yup, this guide is still the way to go. Not sure what you'll need for you firmware version exactly, but the guide should tell you all that.

I think I fucked something up. :(

Followed the instructions to begin by downgrading to 9.2.0, it all went fine, but I got a black screen after the 'rebooting in 10 seconds part', like it says might happen.

So I check the troubleshooting part and I try booting it without the microSD card, but that just gives me 'an error has occurred' when I boot it and booting it with the microSD card just gives me a black screen.

Edit: Shit, I just read the part on the page that says if that happens, I'm screwed since that means I'll have to update.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I think I fucked something up. :(

Followed the instructions to begin by downgrading to 9.2.0, it all went fine, but I got a black screen after the 'rebooting in 10 seconds part', like it says might happen.

So I check the troubleshooting part and I try booting it without the microSD card, but that just gives me 'an error has occurred' when I boot it and booting it with the microSD card just gives me a black screen.

Edit: Shit, I just read the part on the page that says if that happens, I'm screwed since that means I'll have to update.

Ouch... Yeah that sounds like a bad downgrade if the console doesn't boot without the SD inserted... At least you're not completely bricked, but I think you'll have to update to 11.0 which is trickier to downgrade.

Madao

that error is what triggered all the trainwreck i got 2 months ago. at the end i ended up spending $150 to get a hardmod to recover.

so, my advice is to not bother with it if you get that. in my situation my console required a system format to get rid of that error and no way i was losing all my progress for that.

that error is what triggered all the trainwreck i got 2 months ago. at the end i ended up spending $150 to get a hardmod to recover.

so, my advice is to not bother with it if you get that. in my situation my console required a system format to get rid of that error and no way i was losing all my progress for that.
So I should just go ahead and upgrade to 11.0 and forget about homebrew then? (Not that it bothers me much, I'd rather have a functional system even without homebrew)

Madao

So I should just go ahead and upgrade to 11.0 and forget about homebrew then? (Not that it bothers me much, I'd rather have a functional system even without homebrew)

yeah. upgrade to 11.0

there might be ways to downgrade it in the future since these things get cracked eventually usually.

Aww no, I think I did fuck my system up but good.

I tried to just go ahead and update to 11.0 but it won't.

I am 100% certain I did not have that 'block the update server' DNS setting since I had my system boot right into homebrew and I never visited the standard menu anyways so argh.

(Sorry if this is inappropriate to mention here, but I figured here where I was already posting about my 3DS issues instead of just making a random new thread and having to link here would be easier)

Aww no, I think I did fuck my system up but good.

I tried to just go ahead and update to 11.0 but it won't.

I am 100% certain I did not have that 'block the update server' DNS setting since I had my system boot right into homebrew and I never visited the standard menu anyways so argh.

(Sorry if this is inappropriate to mention here, but I figured here where I was already posting about my 3DS issues instead of just making a random new thread and having to link here would be easier)

There's already a way to A9LH from 11.0 using DSiWare but it requires a separate already hacked 3DS of the same type and it takes considerably longer than the standard method.

Is there an easy way to remove CFW and transfer my emuNAND to my sysNAND?

Assuming you're not using a9lh on 11+ on a N3DS yes.

For an O3DS
If you have a (clean) emunand then yeah, switch from Lumas to one of the more fiddly CFWs turn off Firm 0 / Firm 1 blocking and then flash the EmuNAND. You'll obviously lose any exploits that don't work on your EmuNAND version.

(I of course recommend you validate the EMUNand to make sure its completely legit before flashing it back (no out of region system apps , not corrupted anywhere, matches the system etc)

For a N3DS on 10.0 you can use the a9lh installer to uninstall a9lax (otherwise you probably brick). Then use a different entrypoint to run a CFW that allows you to disable Firm0/1 patching and then flash back.

NB - I really don't recommend this if you're on A9LH the brick chances are non-zero the last I heard.

solarus

Need help, ive spent hours installing cfw and im soo close to the end, been following https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax).
Im on part 5 section 6 step 15 where you open the homebrew launcher after installing it, and when i open it some weird text and stuff appears it says home menu robpin is ready then everything goes to black on both screens and nothing else happens, it never gets to any homebrew menu and i cant do the next dsp pump step.
Really annoying having issues in the final steps after spending hours, would appreciate help.

Need help, ive spent hours installing cfw and im soo close to the end, been following https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax).
Im on part 5 section 6 step 15 where you open the homebrew launcher after installing it, and when i open it some weird text and stuff appears it says home menu robpin is ready then everything goes to black on both screens and nothing else happens, it never gets to any homebrew menu and i cant do the next dsp pump step.
Really annoying having issues in the final steps after spending hours, would appreciate help.

Delete the homebrew launcher files and reinstall. Sounds like you're missing a or have a corrupt file.

(Or install the hb launcher cia setup and use that , make sure you're connected to the internet and hold down the button to force update the ROP.)

solarus

Delete the homebrew launcher files and reinstall. Sounds like you're missing a or have a corrupt file.

(Or install the hb launcher cia setup and use that , make sure you're connected to the internet and hold down the button to force update the ROP.)

Still not working unless I misunderstood you
I originally installed hblauncher_loader.cia using fbi like the guide mentioned, I get a bunch of text and some mention of payload then a black screen, fyi im on firmware 11.0.0-33E. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled and no luck. The payload seems to be named correctly... I'm at a loss.
EDIT: I have no idea what i did but i replaced some files on the sd card and other things and it works, not sure what fixed it exactly. Thanks for helping!

Still not working unless I misunderstood you
I originally installed hblauncher_loader.cia using fbi like the guide mentioned, I get a bunch of text and some mention of payload then a black screen, fyi im on firmware 11.0.0-33E. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled and no luck. The payload seems to be named correctly... I'm at a loss.
EDIT: I have no idea what i did but i replaced some files on the sd card and other things and it works, not sure what fixed it exactly. Thanks for helping!

That's an excellent sign that you should back up your SD card, and run a check on it , and if anything weird comes up consider replacing it.

LewieP

Browserhax and menuhax have been updated to support firmware 11.0, the latest firmware.

Free homebrew for all.

Edit: I am unable to get menuhax set up correctly, an Smea is warning that Nintendo could break Browserhax at any time, so you should quickly get menuhax or another secondary hack set up as quickly as possible. Fortunately I bought/installed VVVVVV ages ago, so I have set up VVVhax.

Opa-Pa

Helped a friend to get homebrew with browser and menuhax, it was pretty easy but yeah, you have to be fast if you don't want to lose browserhax access.

Menuhax worked on my OG3DS but I can't get it to work on my new for some reason.

LewieP

I ended up reformatting, and then menuhax worked fine.

I've successfully downgraded from 10.7 to 9.2, and I'm about to start part 3 of Plailect's guide.

Browserhax and menuhax have been updated to support firmware 11.0, the latest firmware.

Free homebrew for all.

Edit: I am unable to get menuhax set up correctly, an Smea is warning that Nintendo could break Browserhax at any time, so you should quickly get menuhax or another secondary hack set up as quickly as possible. Fortunately I bought/installed VVVVVV ages ago, so I have set up VVVhax.
Holy crap. Didn't expect either of those to come back around. Awesome.

Vitacat

I successfully completed Plailects guide, and successfully transferred my N3ds. All setup and working great.

Takes forever, and you must be very careful. But totally worth it.

Anilones

I recently bought a 2DS and wanted to know what the benefit of setting up Homebrew is. The only benefit I can see is for non-localised games, what aren't I seeing?

IceIpor

I recently bought a 2DS and wanted to know what the benefit of setting up Homebrew is. The only benefit I can see is for non-localised games, what aren't I seeing?
There are a lot of benefits, but it depends on what you want out of it.

1. Play homebrew apps or games.
2. Region-free game usage (as you mentioned).
3. You can dump your game cards and install the game directly onto your SD card, allowing you to carry around your whole collection of games (depending on SD card size) without needing the physical card present.
4. Patching games. This allows you to patch custom content into games and play with mods and/or cheats (Like Fire Emblem Same Sex Marriage Patches or Amiibo character unlock patches).
5. Brick protection. If you're afraid you'll somehow corrupt your system, you can make backups and restore the entire system from your user created NAND backup.
6. Save backups. Although you can already backup game data created on your SD card, homebrew apps will also allow you to rip saves from your game cards as well.
7. Use emulators.

Top Bottom