• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Really feels like people pick Survival difficulty thinking it's Normal difficulty...
Hmm. If "Casual" is meant to be "Normal" difficulty it ought to be renamed.

I picked Survival because my mind associated it immediately with the option in Minecraft that distinguishes it from "Creative," and because it was obviously contrasted with "Casual" and "Hardcore" options which didn't sound like they were for me.

Is it meant to be a difficulty mode for advanced players who already have many hours in the game?

zashga

Hunger is super annoying. Food doesn't stack, it takes 3+ basic food items to go from empty to full, and you basically have to eat from your inventory screen since you're picking things to eat one by one. Oh, and you drop fast if your food meter actually hits zero. Really questionable balance/UI choices all around. Wish I'd picked "casual" mode in hindsight.

I haven't had any trouble managing food. Get a fridge or two. Cook the food, even if it doesn't require it. And use a bow/hunting spear to get food while out on runs. The food crafting station also lets you make better food, which fills you up more and the bonuses last longer.

I am more likely to turn it off because it's too easy to manage. But I like it enough. There are some mods I've looked at. Could be worth using one if you think the hunger system is lacking.

WaterAstro

I picked Survival because my mind associated it immediately with the option in Minecraft that distinguishes it from "Creative," and because it was obviously contrasted with "Casual" and "Hardcore" options which didn't sound like they were for me.

Is it meant to be a difficulty mode for advanced players who already have many hours in the game?

Casual means one kind of mode. Survival is another kind of mode. Hardcore is yet another kind of mode.

Yes, they made a mistake saying it's a difficulty, but those settings completely change the way to play the game. Imagine if the Souls game had Permadeath mode. It would turn the normal gameplay into chicken shit, keep your distances, use ranged attacks only, pull the plug when on low life and no heals. It doesn't make the game harder, it makes you completely change the way you play.

As far as I know the only differences from Casual and Survival are that in Casual you don't have hunger, you can teleport to your ship no matter where you are, and you only drop 10% pixels and no items on death. To me all of those are pretty much quality of life improvements, not really difficulty modifiers, and I play Starbound to relax anyway, so I doubt I'll ever touch Survival.

Blizzard

Banned
The game is fun so far, but I have one very annoying glitchy thing. I have the hunting spear and a flashlight equipped. Maybe there's a cooldown, but sometimes it seems like the first time I pull it out and click/hold, it doesn't fire at all. This usually results in me taking a ton of damage.

Any tips?

My first build is coming along. It's a massive ship on an ocean planet. Here is a little taste:

14F287D3D23F81C51290D8816F8ABC44B377E8F9

The game is fun so far, but I have one very annoying glitchy thing. I have the hunting spear and a flashlight equipped. Maybe there's a cooldown, but sometimes it seems like the first time I pull it out and click/hold, it doesn't fire at all. This usually results in me taking a ton of damage.

Any tips?

I'm not sure whats up with it, but I have the same experience with other spears and alt fire on other weapons.

edit:
I think it just starts on cooldown.

Blizzard

Banned
Starts on cooldown? Maybe if I have it out when I go hunting, the first shot will always work then.

It's also annoying because if there is a visual cooldown indicator, I am missing it. Maybe the spear sprite?

Starts on cooldown? Maybe if I have it out when I go hunting, the first shot will always work then.

It's also annoying because if there is a visual cooldown indicator, I am missing it. Maybe the spear sprite?

I am almost certain now it is just relating to refire rate. When you take it out it acts as if it was just fired, perhaps to prevent people being able to shoot faster than intended just by swapping back and forth. With weapons with a high refire rate, you don't even notice it. But with long ones like grenade launchers or spear throws, it's noticeable. I even tested out throwing kunais and there was no noticeable delay because the weapon has a high refire rate.

WaterAstro

Yeah the cooldown is annoying. My rocket launcher defninitely doesn't shoot after a long time, more longer than its fire rate.

There's definitely a weird cooldown time when you switch to those weapons.

Vex_

Banned
Just now realized there has been another update 1.2? All they've listed was memory leak fixes? That's great news for all of you guys who had trouble crashing and stuff. Good to see a dev optimizing their code.

Mr Git

Hunger is super annoying. Food doesn't stack, it takes 3+ basic food items to go from empty to full, and you basically have to eat from your inventory screen since you're picking things to eat one by one .

Food not stacking I find pretty annoying. Especially when I want to farm and cook loads of stuff and I have to inventory manage a fridge constantly. I swear food used to stack as well. I don't remember having an inventory full of meat.

WaterAstro

Food not stacking I find pretty annoying. Especially when I want to farm and cook loads of stuff and I have to inventory manage a fridge constantly. I swear food used to stack as well. I don't remember having an inventory full of meat.

They stacked before they gave you an inventory specifically for food.

Honestly, I think it's fine. If food stacked, survival mode would just be meaningless. It needs inventory limitations are you're just walking around never hungry with hundreds of food. If you want hunger to be meaningless, just play casual.

Blizzard

Banned
It would be nice if they let you change difficulty midgame without requiring mods or save file edits though. It would make life easier for all the people who start survival and get frustrated.

Venfayth

Pretty sure there's simply a delay before you can use any weapon that doesn't consume energy. If there were no delay it would only be optimal to drain energy empty and then switch to a weapon that doesn't use it. The way it is now you really don't need to do that to be optimal.

Mr Git

They stacked before they gave you an inventory specifically for food.

Honestly, I think it's fine. If food stacked, survival mode would just be meaningless. It needs inventory limitations are you're just walking around never hungry with hundreds of food. If you want hunger to be meaningless, just play casual.

I like having the incentive to farm :') I'll get over it!

Spent an hour making signs at the outpost. I love this game. Couldn't get on the gaf server earlier though :c kept getting an error message.

Vex_

Banned
Any other "hybrid" players out there? I mean playing with a controller in one hand, and playing with a mouse in the other?

Because I have been. I really like using the ds4 + mouse combo. I do this in any game that doesn't have full controller support. I did it in gw2 as well...

...am I weird?

Trickster

What's the best way to get durasteel ore? You need so much of it but the only way to get it seems to be from looting crates and boxes, which feels like a slow and unreliable way to get it

ZenVolta

What's the best way to get durasteel ore? You need so much of it but the only way to get it seems to be from looting crates and boxes, which feels like a slow and unreliable way to get it

Im down near the center of a planet right now with large veins of it. So just dig down till you see core fragments/lava

ZenVolta

Do you need to find random people for them to count as crew or can you just place colony deeds?

Iv been doing quests on a planet that I built my farm on and have gotten a few people from there so its kinda random I guess and I think colony deeds are only for setting up people on a planet. I dont know if theyll join your crew

Echoplx

Iv been doing quests on a planet that I built my farm on and have gotten a few people from there so its kinda random I guess and I think colony deeds are only for setting up people on a planet. I dont know if theyll join your crew

I just checked and you can put colony deeds on your ship but they don't count as crew, kinda weird.

duckroll

Fair enough. Iv been trying to pick people that I would actually need for a crew ie medic soldier mechanic etc. Time to pick up every stray crew member

Oh if you mean the classes, yes it matters, they all do different things. But I don't think one medic is different from another medic regardless of race or character. Each class has their own functions. The tailor will allow you to customize your crew's uniform based on whatever you are wearing at the moment for example.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, after getting sucked into the game tonight I finally made it to a second planet.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how the game turned out. I forgot how awesome the music is.

ZenVolta

Oh if you mean the classes, yes it matters, they all do different things. But I don't think one medic is different from another medic regardless of race or character. Each class has their own functions. The tailor will allow you to customize your crew's uniform based on whatever you are wearing at the moment for example.
giphy.gif

WaterAstro

Omg I figured out how to get rid of the duplicate crew!

You talk to the duplicates and dismiss them until you have one of that crew left.

Retro

Starbound v1.0.3 Changelog
Bug Fixes
  • remove unbalanced wormerang listing from penguin weapon shop
  • resolve issue of banner rendering in front of a bookcase
  • resolve issue where the Grand Pagoda Library boss would sometimes reset
  • resolve issue where some weapons would let you wall jump in distortion sphere
  • make ore nibbler critter capturable without exploding
  • remove inappropriate tag from farm animal eggs
  • no longer open multiples of the same scripted interfaces (Rob Repairo, Tech Console)
  • resolve issue where cultists would die on destroying a ballista in the Baron’s Keep
  • remove elemental aura visual effect when changing weapons
  • resolve issue where techs would interfere with each others tool suppression
  • improve performance when player has a lot of quests
  • resolve some issues with grappling hook
  • bosses are now immune to healing from staff secondary abilities
  • some pixels in armors were bad and are now not bad
  • fix issue where crew ship benefits would reset on ship upgrade
  • this unfortunately resets your current fuel capacity and fuel efficiency benefits as they have been moved to a more reliable storage format
  • teach NPCs how to use some trickier doors like wooden gates
  • npcs may now get stuck in the ground less often
  • make tech gui not crash when encountering unknown tech
  • fix 3d printer issue when removing objects
  • change power scaling of crew members to more closely match the power scaling of the player
  • make it so saplings don’t break when they are unable to grow into a tree
  • players should no longer get stuck in the ground if they beam to a friend in distortion sphere
  • remove deprecated keybindings
  • remove reference to a missing asset for the Avian temple boss
  • gui adjustment to allow bigger numbers in the Terrramart shipment box
  • remove deprecated elevator recipes
  • fix tabbing issues in the codex window
Other
  • statically link Visual C++ 2015 for the win32 version of starbound
  • keep rotten food in the food tab
  • UI usability improvements to server connect screen
  • dismiss confirmation windows when the source of them is not in reach
  • adjustments to ore samples
  • make it impossible to starve to death during cinematics
  • pressing the key for a selected action bar slot now deselects the slot
  • non-elemental Fluffalo drop more plant fibre
  • adjust npc and monster placement for generated quests
  • grappling hook adjustments; increased range, functional dual wielding
  • NPCs will now beam away to join your ship crew as soon as you recruit them
  • natural materials will now magically match the hue shift of the biome when placed
  • using the paint tool with the default color setting will clear any hue shift on unpainted blocks
  • make vertical scroll bars start at the top by default
  • improve one-handed damage of NPCs
  • add some clothes and dialog for novakids in generated quests
  • change some confusingly inaccurate labels for paintings in the grand pagoda library
  • tweak Shockhopper projectile lifetime and damage polys

Visual C++ 2015 Launch Errors

Since release, some people have been unable to play Starbound due to Visual C++ 2015 runtime failing to install on their PCs. This tends to be an issue with PCs on out-of-date versions of Windows, and tends to be solved by updating your Windows service packs and manually installing the Visual C++ 2015 runtime, but some people have been unable to do this or have found that it hasn’t worked for them.

We’ve statically linked Visual C++ 2015 for the win32 version of Starbound, which should hopefully clear up this issue for a lot of people. You’ll need to select ‘Launch Starbound – win32’ when you launch Starbound on Steam. :)

OpenGL 2.0 Launch Errors
If you’re getting an error on launch that says ‘OpenGL 2.0 not available’, please ensure you’ve updated your graphics drivers!

OS X 10.8 Launch Errors
If you’re unable to launch Starbound on a version of OS X lower than 10.9, please try updating to a more recent version of OS X!

In short, it helps to keep your software up to date! If you find that you’ve tried everything and Starbound still won’t run for you, please email us with no less than a description of the issue you’re having, a list of your PC’s specs, and a copy of your full Starbound error log (starbound.log in your directory). Here’s a post with guidelines for reporting bugs. :)
(Source)

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
How does the farming/egg system work? I want to start adding a farm area to my home.

Playing this game makes me want to play Terraria again. I fucking love these types of games.

Crewmates being stronger is pretty nice. I remember before their guns were hitting for like 1-2 damage on all enemies. Now they hit for 12ish with my current gear.

How does the farming/egg system work? I want to start adding a farm area to my home.

Playing this game makes me want to play Terraria again. I fucking love these types of games.

Farming is simple. Dirt blocks. Til with the hoe. Plant. Water with watering can (there are 2 types) or water sprinkler. Harvest. Some require you to replant with seeds you pick up. It requires the background be open to sunlight (not sure if glass blocks stop growth or not tbh).

The egg system I am not that experienced with but I just used the eggs on the ground in my base. It's a safe spot where no enemies spawn. And they grow up eventually and you interact with them when they're ready to drop items.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I almost found a full creature from the black lagoon set. All I'm missing are the pants, found two masks though.

duckroll

This alien tentacle gun is so fucking overpowered. I wiped Dreadwing and the Flora dungeon without taking much of a hit anywhere. Lol.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
There was apparently a power outage at my home, and while the power is back, I can't turn the server back on if I'm not there to actually push the button. I'll try and swing by and get it back up in a few hours, but until then, no server for a while.

This alien tentacle gun is so fucking overpowered. I wiped Dreadwing and the Flora dungeon without taking much of a hit anywhere. Lol.

I feel dirty using it.

The alien tentacle gun is neat, but it got surpassed by other weapons for me pretty quickly.

The god tier wand/staff spell is portal. It'll show up as fire/poison/ice/lightning + portal. So I am using level 6 wands with ice portal and poison portal. First cast the spell, let a couple fireballs build up, then rain a meteor storm on my enemies.

The other really powerful weapon I am using atm (aside from the beam pistols + an AR with grenade launcher) is energy lance. The thing does 300-400 damage to monsters, guaranteed 1 shot pretty much. It's also 1 handed so I use throwing kunais in the offhand (or another throwing weapon) because the lance itself has a large cooldown so I might need to spam something else to finish off a tougher opponent during the cooldown. Really strong combination.

I also use the purple beam 2h sword from crafting. That thing is also a beast.

Top Bottom