• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I took a break from open world games, now I'm playing Mad Max

This gen has been amazing for open world games but I definitely got fatigued with the genre.

Since the beginning of this gen, I have played Second Son, Dead Rising 3, GTA V, AC Black Flag, Shadow of Mordor, Arkham Knight, Witcher 3, XCX, Far Cry 4, MGS V, Watch Dogs and The Division.
I should probably add NFS Rivals, Forza Horizon 2 and The Crew to that as well since they are open world driving games.

So, the last open world game I played was The Division for about 2 weeks in March. It didn't live up to the hype and I was already spent on the genre.
Now I'm back and playing Mad Max on PC (thanks to that CD keys $10 deal that was going on during the lackluster Steam summer sale).
I'm really enjoying myself. I'm not skipping any side activities and will likely 100% the game.

Avalanche really did an amazing job with the PC version. It's on the level of MGS V as far as polish goes. That means a lot to me since there have been many terrible PC ports this gen. The quality of it does wonders for my enjoyment of play. I've put in about 25 hours and not had a single crash or game-breaking issue playing it on max settings.

Have you taken a break from open world games? How long? Will you come back? Or are you done with the genre?

Cess007

Mad Max was a pleasant surprise for me. I thought i would hate it, but i ended up playing for like 50hrs, cleaning all zones and doing as many challenges as i could.

OT: More than a break, i try to vary the genre of the games after i finish one (If I finished a FPS game, the next one can't be another FPS, it should be a RPG or Adventure game) exactly to avoid genre fatigue.

I got fatigued too, and switched over to more focused SP games. Especially if it's easy going and whimsical. Odin Sphere helped cleanse my pallet.

Now I'm getting the itch to play open world stuff again so sounds like I need to start Mad Max.

Is it easy to find stopping points?

wesly999

Banned
Definitely a good quality game. Love the voice acting and the combat. I wish he could keep some of the melee weapons though instead of dropping them. Too much driving too. Still good game.

Mad Max certainly suffers from a lot of the problems Ubisoft Open World games have but there's enough different things about it that kept me entertained.

Car combat can be fairly satisfying even if the controls are a bit rough, on consoles at least.

The world is also a nice change. Not many open world games where I can drive a car through a wasteland like that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's pretty fun, I guess.

madmax10093x1w.jpg

Yes, it's repetitive, but the crunchiness of Fury Mode is perpetually satisfying, and so to is teaching opposing clans a lesson with the thunderpoon. You're asked to do many the same thing, but the how of it doesn't get old.

Tohsaka

Yeah, I was surprised at how good the game was. I bought it cheap on a whim even though I'm not really into the franchise but I ended up liking it quite a bit.

MUnited83

For you.
It might be one of the most enjoyable open worlds to cruise around. Just going around seeing new parts of the wasteland and discovering new enemy outposts is great.

I just couldn't find anything appealing about it. The combat, open world, and the story all just seemed completely average. I got about 7 hours in before shutting it off. I have no desire to come back to it at the moment.

antitrop

Mad Max is a great mindless time waster. Sometimes it can be cathartic to just drive around a map and check tasks off your list. It was for me, after something as complicated as Metal Gear Solid V. It was a nice way to unwind from the complexity of that game.

Im still taking a brake but I dont know for how long. I was playing Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3 at the same time. I was most of the way through both of them but something just snapped. There's just too much stuff to do and I feel compelled to do it all. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but I'm just not enjoying it like I used to, so I've shelved them both for the foreseeable future.

Since then I've been trying to stick to linear games, mostly FPS campaigns, and some multiplayer here and there. I'll probably just keep going through my backlog with all the open world games blacklisted until I have carte blanche to just make a bee line for the end of those open world games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've heard this described as a collectathon... which is a negative for me.

Is that fairly accurate?

Depends on your perspective. While there is a lot of side-content, the main campaign is largely fat-free. But, I mean, you are talking about a game whose open world deigns that the car is as much a character as Max himself, so while fast travel is present, there is a lot of driving from here to there in service of improving your vehicle.

antitrop

I've heard this described as a collectathon... which is a negative for me.

Is that fairly accurate?
The game places more of an emphasis on Max just driving around the world and doing basic tasks to survive more than the the story. It's all about upgrading the Magnum Opus, story missions kind of take a backseat. The story missions are extremely short and never ask you to do anything crazy, they're all very simple.

heringer

I got bitten by the dreaded fatigue too. Realised that by playing AC Syndicate.

Damn, I thought I wouldn't get tired of open world.

I enjoyed Mad Max very much at launch, though. Thought it was underrated. Beautiful world and graphics, solid driving and car combat, rewarding gameplay cycle (upgrading Magnum Opus and Max).

antitrop

That's accurate.
I'd say that the world, exploration and combat is a cut above most though. So that definitely helps.

Everyone should play the game at least once to see those storms, though. God damn, those are something.

The way you can see them rolling in from the distance, before hell overtakes you, is just one of the coolest things I've seen in ANY open world game.

Dogg448

Everyone should play the game at least once to see those storms, though. God damn, those are something.

The way you can see them rolling in from the distance, before hell overtakes you, is just one of the coolest things I've seen in ANY open world game.

Those storms are really something else. One time when I was playing and I outran the storm for most of Jeets territory until it stopped and it felt so good because it was like right behind me the entire time.

I'm a big fan of open world games, like Saints Row: The Third, Saints Row IV, Grand Theft Auto and Sunset Overdrive...to name a few. Also, Just Cause 2, which Avalanche made.

To be honest, I'm mad at them for what they did with Just Cause 3 and how Mad Max affected it. Both games were disappointing.

I had high hopes for Mad Max, but when I demoed it I was left unsure. Then, when I got the game, I had a hard time getting into it because of its progression system (which took the worst thing about Just Cause 2 and implemented it as a main focus). You had to do so much menial and boring shit that it just wasn't fun. Taking out all the hideouts, getting shitloads of scrap, etc. just to further yourself became a bore.

The game was overly long because it was inflated with this shit. I beat it, but it took me far longer than it should have.

I haven't taken a break from open world games. I'm looking forward to the next great one, and still have The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 to play through. Plus GTA V next gen. I'm looking forward to them all.

Dominator

Loved the hell out of Mad Max. I played it first before really digging my teeth into MGSV and I feel like that soured my enjoyment of MGS a little bit lol I didn't even beat it cause I was slightly fatigued.

darthkarki

I am playing through mad max myself and enjoying it, only thing I find irritating is when a big storm hits

That's funny, the storms are probably my favorite part :) The graphics are just amazing. All of the dust and debris flying around, with the volumetric lighting and flashes of lightning... just awesome. I love trying to find those giant crates of loot while avoiding getting smacked upside the head by a piece of flying metal.

I just couldn't find anything appealing about it. The combat, open world, and the story all just seemed completely average. I got about 7 hours in before shutting it off. I have no desire to come back to it at the moment.

Sorry you didn't like it mate. I'd agree that there's nothing particularly amazing about the combat, although personally I think it's pretty fun, and the story didn't really grip me either. However, I have to object in regards to the open world. In terms of art, graphics, and design, I think Avalanche make some of the best open worlds in the industry, and Mad Max is no exception. There is an incredible amount of detail pretty much everywhere, and an amazing variety to the environment, considering it's a post-apocalyptic desert. I kinda assumed the world would be pretty similar overall, kind of all just "desert," but it's incredibly impressive how different every area really is.

I'm curious, was your way of playing generally task-oriented, focusing on "progressing," unlocking everything, clearing out areas, etc.? There's a ton to do, so I can see getting tired of it if you're laser-focused on "beating" the game. I think the world design is really objectively fantastic, and if you like driving games (which I would hope you did if you bought this game), try just going for a drive. Don't worry about what you "need to do next." Just go drive around. Explore. Check out anything interesting that you randomly stumble across. Harpoon some guys and send them flying. I think the most enjoyment will come out of "experiencing" the game and the world as opposed to trying to "beat" it or "do everything." Just a thought.

antitrop

I love trying to find those giant crates of loot while avoiding getting smacked upside the head by a piece of flying metal.

Surprisingly a lot of fun. Actually, I think braving the storms to try to get rich was the most fun I had in the entire game. It's the only point where you're really at any risk of dying, the only point where there's really any tension.

O.DOGG

One of the best games of last year by all means. They absolutely nailed the Mad Max world. Only thing it needs desperately though is New Game Plus that would let you keep the cars/parts you already unlocked. I'd still be playing the game had this been the case. As it is, after all the grind the game was, I don't think I'll be playing it again.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Picked Mad Max up on the recent PSN sale and have been REALLY enjoying it. Racked up over 30 hours just doing short burst sessions ever other day or so the last month. Plan on getting the platinum at my own pace, and its certainly reinvigorated my interest in open-world games again as well.

Those storms are really something else. One time when I was playing and I outran the storm for most of Jeets territory until it stopped and it felt so good because it was like right behind me the entire time.

I really enjoy the storms.
I was hit by one while chasing down a convoy leader. Ended up taking him down and making a mad dash for the nearest safe area with a sliver of car health left. It was pretty hectic and intense. Never played anything like that in a game before. It's actually something I would like to see in more open world games. Weather effects that actually add something to the gameplay, a sense of urgency.

Indeed.

Zeneric

Mad Max seemed like another generic open world game to me. I probably should give in and buy/play it eventually cuz of its positive reception sofar.

Mad Max seemed like another generic open world game to me. I probably should give in and buy/play it eventually cuz of its positive reception sofar.

Part of the reason I'm enjoying it so much is because I took a break from the genre. But yeah, it actually has some surprisingly unique elements to it.

antitrop

Mad Max seemed like another generic open world game to me. I probably should give in and buy/play it eventually cuz of positives regarding it sofar.

It is a generic open world game, Batman combat on top of an extraordinary amount of collectibles. That's not an inherently bad thing, it just is what it is.

The vehicle combat is the one things that mixes it up a little bit, but only in the beginning. It takes less than 10 hours to get the necessary upgrades to turn vehicle combat into "Press 1 button to automatically win", either by disabling their vehicle by ripping off a tire, or just straight blowing them up with the Thunderpoon.

I thought the convoy chases would ramp up into these great setpieces, but that never happened. Instead, the convoys just stayed the same and Max gets the tools to make them a non-issue in almost no time.

It might be one of the most enjoyable open worlds to cruise around. Just going around seeing new parts of the wasteland and discovering new enemy outposts is great.

this. hard to define exactly why, but this game just worked for me perfectly, every which-way (especially the convoy raiding) :) ...

Mad Max was my favorite game of 2015. Sounds like hyperbole but it's true. It's the game I fired up, listened to gaming podcast and I was just kept busy.

It does nothing revolutionary,it doesn't do open world great but it sure is fun. I would mindlessly just clear out camps, find collectibles, string combos together and then use fury mode to unleash on mofos. Someone posted and used the word "crunchiness" that is a perfect adjective to describe the way combat feels while in fury mode.

Super underrated. Both this and MGSV came out on the same day and I've yet to even begin MGSV.

To me, if you are a PC player with a decent/good rig, you really owe it to yourself.
I cannot over emphasize enough the care Avalanche put into this version of the game. They really deserve a lot of credit putting out a AAA title this well optimized in this climate.

I'm in no way trying to put down the console versions, I have never played them so I can't speak from experience. It's just seems to be becoming a rare thing these days when a PC port is nearly flawless.

Stiler

I really want to play this again, I got burnt out/disappointed the first time around.

It just felt like they missed so many opportunities, like Max not being able to climb things (Like three movies he spends climbing all over trucks and other vehicles fighting people) and how npc's can do it but you somehow can't.

Also got a little burned out on the repetitiveness of its side activities, knocking over totems, taking out bases, etc. I felt that "less" would have been more, a tigheter focus on varied and memorable side things rather then overloading the map with copy + paste style things.

Still I did find some things enjoyable, the driving and world design were great, hope it leads way to a new one with much more improved gameplay/design.

Pimpbaa

I tend to only buy open world games or at least linear games with very large explorable levels. I really can't see myself taking a break from them because I simply can't afford to buy enough linear games (free priced ones) to keep me occupied in my free time. I enjoy them a great deal anyway, so not like I want to take a break. And yeah, Mad Max was pretty fun (finished it twice). Although it could get kinda repetitive, especially if you were trying to get the last few upgrades for your car. I kinda wish the V8 was given to you sooner in the game considering how early you could get heavier armor and bumper upgrades. I would like to see avalanche do another mad max game, but I have no idea how well this game did.

bigol

i had motion sickness playing this game, dont know why

It was because of the narrow FOV especially in camps when searching for things. I had no problems while driving and in open world, but as long as i was in tight spaces i had headache because of that narrow FOV.

Still played it for more than 100 hours, just missed some challenges and archangels races.

Plasmids

The only thing that puts me off this game is button mashing.

Is the combat a lot of button mashing or is there more to it like weapons etc?

antitrop

The only thing that puts me off this game is button mashing.

Is the combat a lot of button mashing or is there more to it like weapons etc?
Ground combat is mostly melee, Batman counter-based style.

Max does have a shotgun with fairly limited ammo.

Top Bottom