• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game villains whose true identity is not revealed until the very end

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Witcher 1.
It is not revealed until near the end that Jacques De Aldersberg is behind everything and not until the very end is it understood that Jacques De Aldersberg is Alvin.

This is probably the best one especially because the game doesnt really tell you. You have the conversation early in the game that mirrors the end dialogue and see the amulet (?) afterward but its up to you as the player to figure it out.

jonjonaug

Deadly Premonition did this thing pretty well. Really great payoff.

My main issue with that reveal is that you don't even know that this person was relevant at all until the very end.

You can figure this out if you're paying attention and walk around town a lot.

rekameohs

Banned
You can figure this out if you're paying attention and walk around town a lot.

Deadly Premonition villain spoilers

The best little secret they gave was in the Red Room at the very start of the game, dolls that look like Kaysen are pinned all over a map of the U.S. to show the other cities that he's infected

???
The game MAKES SURE you know the villian before it's revealed.
Like, at least two times they tell you who zero is lol.

"I have a sister" / Both Babies Phi and Delta. First hint.
The anagram "E, L, T, A, D". Second hint.

stupid ass game

Well yeah, it became fairly obvious by process of elimination when you saw that
Phi had a twin
and if you made
Sean shoot Delta during the standoff,
but before those moments? No way you would know that
Delta was Zero.

I mean technically yes, you could absolutely guess that
Brother was Zero the whole time, but Delta specifically?
No chance.

Mega Man 4 -
It was Dr. Cossack the entire time!

Mega Man 5 -
It was Protoman the entire time!

Mega Man 6 -
Ah, so the mysterious Mr. X was behind the entire nefarious plot!

Mega Man and Bass -
That King sure is one evil robot mastermind!

Mega Man 9 -
Dr. Light?! For shame!

Mega Man 10 -
Dr. Wily is such a hero, fighting the deadly Roboenza and the robots infected!

giphy.gif

999 seems like a poor example if only because
the main villain is revealed halfway through the game, and isn't Zero. Zero is basically the hero, or at least half of the hero
. Danganronpa is surely the better choice.

None posted KOTOR? what the hell...

I don't know if I'd call that a villain reveal, tbh. By the time the game rolls around,
Revan
isn't the villain anymore; they might be a bad person, but the villain remains Malak. Even tho technically
Revan
IS responsible for everything... hm.

That's not an ending reveal, you find that out the first time you run into her in QP.

so, basically, Game Spoiling: The Thread? xD

It's a thread EXPLICITLY about last-second reveals.

Yeah, it's Game Spoilers: The Thread. Thank goodness, if it was just pictures of masked dudes over and over that'd be really obnoxious.

:p

Sadist

Yeah Deadly Premonition and No More Heroes are amazing.

Other game like this is Ace Attorney Dual Destinies.

At the very end, with all options gone, Phoenix realizes that one person was always there during the murder of the victim in the last case; Bobby Fullbright! He's actually some mysterious agent called the Phantom and had a goal to reach. Its implied that he killed the real detective Fullbright. And the victim in the case.

Lijik

Although hints are dropped throughout the game, Ratcher and Clank Going Commando doesnt properly reveal that
Captain Quark is the mastermind behind the Protopet menace
until the final level or a little before it.

Dhalia is reveled to be the villain 5min in.
And in the final case
she is not even the killer.

Shinna is a good one. The Investigation/DD team is really good at hiding bad guys.
As soon as I pick up AA6 I'm going to start guessing which new character is an identity-less super spy.

MrBadger

Thread needs more pictures of characters wearing disguises

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask has the Masked Gentleman who's identity is
painfully obvious, especially considering this is Layton, the series known for crazy outlandish twists

Shinna is a good one. The Investigation/DD team is really good at hiding bad guys.

Often because the bad guy does a complete personality 180 when it's outed that it's them

Korigama

Quite late with this, but I decided against looking up images for it to avoid spoiling myself (and I certainly would have if I had done so earlier).

Trails of Cold Steel - C

hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom