• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare Reveal Trailer + MW footage

etta

my hard graphic balls
So become Battlefield? How is that innovation? That's the death of it. At that point, it would become: "Do you want a lot of players or small players?" Why make Call of Duty, Battlefield-lite.

That' honestly way more subjective than anything else. Siege feels like that because the game is supposed to be tactical, it's not supposed to feel lighter and swifter. The rappel mechanic for example, works because of the slow nature of the game.

Again, though, all your suggestions are just taking shit from other stuff. At least with Future stuff, they can create game mechanics they can't actually do in modern times or in the past without becoming other game series.
You keep saying with futuristic you can innovate, R6S stuck with the contemporary setting and it managed to innovate.
And Call of Duty can use things like rapelling and wall breaches while keeping the fast pace, and just because it borrows things from other games doesn't mean it can't improve upon and refine them further, make them fit with the fast pace style of Call of Duty.

Well I mean isn't that what Halo, Titanfall, and every other space shooter is for?

Why mess with COD, this game isn't even COD anymore, its so far off the path.

Kalentan

You keep saying with futuristic you can innovate, R6S stuck with the contemporary setting and it managed to innovate.
And Call of Duty can use things like rapelling and wall breaches while keeping the fast pace, and just because it borrows things from other games doesn't mean it can't improve upon and refine them further, make them fit with the fast pace style of Call of Duty.

Okay but... I'm becoming a broken record.. Why do what other games do and just adapt them to Call of Duty? If your innovation is just to take other game series and adopt them onto your own, it just feels like a lot less thought went into it.

Honestly at this point, I just hope the people who want the old CoD, just stick to playing MWR forever, since that's what they seemingly want. Just MWR reskined over and over.

You guys go on and on about how the "people" don't want this. Based on you guys, the series is dead! You guys echo chamber back and forth about how this is all wrong and that you speak for the people! Maybe you guys aren't the majority, maybe the game series has still been selling good? Just maybe?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Okay but... I'm becoming a broken record.. Why do what other games do and just adapt them to Call of Duty? If your innovation is just to take other game series and adopt them onto your own, it just feels like a lot less thought went into it.

Honestly at this point, I just hope the people who want the old CoD, just stick to playing MWR forever, since that's what they seemingly want. Just MWR reskined over and over.
Because innovation happens at the margin, you can't innovate every component in the game. If someone got to innovate a specific component before you then good for them, you can use it and try to innovate in some other component.
Look at the abilities of R6S and BOIII. The modern take on abilities was just as innovative, except they feel like they have much more impact on the game and they're not there to get you just another couple of kills.

Bolivar687

Banned

But this is making Call of Duty like other game series. Unreal and Tribes were interstellar shooters set in space with enhanced movement. Destiny already has you customizing a space ship and receiving side missions from NPCs, the Settlement Defense Front is described exactly like the Helghast from Killzone. The setting is ripped straight from Titanfall and the soldier designs are the same carbon copies of Blacklight that we already saw Treyarch steal in Black Ops III.

Infinite Warfare is easily the most derivative video game I've ever seen.

You're argument is borderline offensive, since you're saying no one should ever, under any circumstances, make a realistic military shooter ever again. You're calling for developers to stop making the games so many of us want to play. "Innovation" is the most ambiguous buzzword in gaming, all we're asking for are good games.

Kalentan

But this is making Call of Duty like other game series. Unreal and Tribes were interstellar shooters set in space with enhanced movement. Destiny already has you customizing a space ship and receiving side missions from NPCs, the Settlement Defense Front is described exactly like the Helghast from Killzone. The setting is ripped straight from Titanfall and the soldier designs are the same carbon copies of Blacklight that we already saw Treyarch steal in Black Ops III.

Infinite Warfare is easily the most derivative video game I've ever seen.

You're argument is borderline offensive, since you're saying no one should ever, under any circumstances, make a realistic military shooter ever again. You're calling for developers to stop making the games so many of us want to play. "Innovation" is the most ambiguous buzzword in gaming, all we're asking for are good games.

Offensive? Holy shit is that the point we've gotten to? That because I don't just agree with you guys? Hell, the style of the campaign is nothing like Desinty! Last I checked in Desinty, you don't actually fly your ship nd engage in space combat!

Also while Tribes and Unreal are both sci-fi, they don't share identical movements with Unreals rocket jumping and such and Tribes "sking" mechanic.

Also did I say every developer? If I've been misunderstood, I apologize. Cause developers can make what ever the hell they want. I'm saying that I don't see the point why CoD needs to start regressing backwards.

Also for me being told that I'm saying developers shouldn't make Modern Shooters, it's clear in this thread that they don't want developers making future shooters! There are people in this and other threads who have shown that they want nothing more than IW to crash and burn and be "punished".

Bolivar687

Banned
Offensive? Holy shit is that the point we've gotten to? That because I don't just agree with you guys? Hell, the style of the campaign is nothing like Desinty! Last I checked in Desinty, you don't actually fly your ship nd engage in space combat!

Also while Tribes and Unreal are both sci-fi, they don't share identical movements with Unreals rocket jumping and such and Tribes "sking" mechanic.

Also did I say every developer? If I've been misunderstood, I apologize. Cause developers can make what ever the hell they want. I'm saying that I don't see the point why CoD needs to start regressing backwards.

Sorry but you dont get to advocate the creative opportunities of future shooters and then disregard every direct comparison just because none of them share all the elements in Infinite Warfare.

Let me put it this way: there is nothing creative or original about this game. Everything we've seen and heard about it has been done before and better. You can't say you want CoD to try new things when this is explicitly and indisputably borrowing elements from other titles on such a shameless level. Some of us don't want to play Destiny, have no interest in Titanfall, and stopped playing sci fi shooters in the late nineties (fifteen years ago damn).

We arent saying no one should make future shooters. We just want Call of Duty back.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Also for me being told that I'm saying developers shouldn't make Modern Shooters, it's clear in this thread that they don't want developers making future shooters! There are people in this and other threads who have shown that they want nothing more than IW to crash and burn and be "punished".
Do you expect Battlefield 5 to not innovate just because it will go back to the 1940's?
I guess we will see Friday, but I definitely expect it to feel fresh and innovative enough, to not be just a copy and paste.

Kalentan

Sorry but you dont get to advocate the creative opportunities of future shooters and then disregard every direct comparison just because none of them share all the elements in Infinite Warfare.

Let me put it this way: there is nothing creative or original about this game. Everything we've seen and heard about it has been done before and better. You can't say you want CoD to try new things when this is explicitly and indisputably borrowing elements from other titles on such a shameless level. Some of us don't want to play Destiny, have no interest in Titanfall, and stopped playing sci fi shooters in the late nineties (fifteen years ago damn).

We arent saying no one should make future shooters. We just want Call of Duty back.

Your basically doing the inversion of what I'm saying. Your saying you don't want CoD to become other future shooters, and I don't want CoD to become other modern shooters!

You want CoD back, but it never left!

Bolivar687

Banned
Your basically doing the inversion of what I'm saying. Your saying you don't want CoD to become other future shooters, and I don't want CoD to become other modern shooters!

Your reasoning is unfair. You profess this is the path to innovation, when there's nothing new or innovative about these games. We want the series to genuinely return to what it did best because no other military franchise has provided a satisfying substitute to the CoD formula.

We're not necesarily saying no CoD should be futuristic, but you are indeed saying no CoD should be realistic.

Beefy

You want CoD back, but it never left!

End of the day it is all about a persons opinion. I liked the WW COD's and the more old wars. I'm not going to demand them to go back to it, I just simply won't buy the game. You like the future stuff so you are fine. But not every one thinks the same.

Metfanant

I don't think that's fair either, the games are all largely similar after all even with the different settings, the only one to try anything new of late was AW and they abandoned that the year after.

Personally speaking I'd actually find a modern warfare title refreshing given no one is doing them now =/

What do you mean abandoned it the year after? CoD is developed on a 3 year cycle...AW2 will be here in 2017...

SA007

Banned
Making infinite warfare a compulsory purchase to get the remastered version is a good business strategy by activision. Now pay $79.99 to get a game you never wanted to get an overhaul mod for the game you liked the most.

ViciousDS

Banned
Well I mean isn't that what Halo, Titanfall, and every other space shooter is for?

Why mess with COD, this game isn't even COD anymore, its so far off the path.

Hence the reason I didn't like advanced warfare. It was a good game, but not a good call of duty.

It's the reason why black ops 3 was slower, and more grounded compared to AW.

Someone removed all of the adjectives out of the press release, lol.

LvbpU2Z.jpg

etta

my hard graphic balls
"This is Major Tom to Ground Control" has been stuck in my head for two days now. Bravo you marketing geniuses. Impressive use of imagery and sound science.

RoKKeR

"This is Major Tom to Ground Control" has been stuck in my head for two days now. Bravo you marketing geniuses. Impressive use of imagery and sound science.

Unfortunate that it's probably the terrible cover that they used in this trailer.

Rippa

Completely psyched about MWR! I couldn't care less for Infinite Warfare because I stopped playing after MW2. Never liked the re-skinned Titanfall versions either. To each their own though. What are the chances IW presents All Ghillied Up remastered edition at Sony's E3 conference? 😋

Metfanant

Completely psyched about MWR! I couldn't care less for Infinite Warfare because I stopped playing after MW2. Never liked the re-skinned Titanfall versions either. To each their own though. What are the chances IW presents All Ghillied Up remastered edition at Sony's E3 conference? 😋

Have not played CoD since 2009, but want to comment about recent games being "re-skinned Titanfall" lol

I think that even more than the futuristic stuff getting tired, my issue with Call of Duty is that it completely lost the vibe it had with CoD4. My mental image of that game is a darker color palette, night vision, alternating between stealth pacing and intense ground combat, etc. It was slick and professional, bordering on cold, but with a ton of memorable visuals and scenarios. Ever since then it's just gone bigger and more ridiculous and more explosive, and more colorful. Black Ops 3 is peak ridiculousness. I was hoping that as we approach the 10th anniversary of MW1, Infinity Ward would swerve with their next entry and go back to what made that game special, but they've just jumped on the futuristic train as well, going all the way into space dogfights. Battlefield has trash campaigns, Rainbow 6 has no campaign, and Medal of Honor is dead.

Ghost Recon save me please

cordy

Banned
Probably if the MW remaster proves to be worth it. MW2 is when the entire Call of Duty community was arguably at its peak, especially if you were into montages and whatnot back then. The difference in production value from when CoD4 was new to then is just staggering.

Interesting, let's hope it goes well.

From a few days ago, so sorry if it has already been posted.

Seems that Infinite Warfare will include similar movement mechanics to Black Ops 3/Advancded Warfare.

http://charlieintel.com/2016/05/02/infinite-warfare-mp-feature-evolution-call-dutys-movement-system/

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare will incorporate the popular chain-based movement system players know and love into an innovative multiplayer experience that rewards players more than ever before for utilizing their surroundings and applying strategy in the heat of the moment.

It comes from a Gamestop product description, so likely legit.

Make of it what you will.

farcryfan

Neo Member
It's more than likely that MWR will have to be launched from the IW multiplayer menu. i doubt very much it will be stand alone game. this way it keeps the player online logins for IW up, regardless of which game they play.

I think that even more than the futuristic stuff getting tired, my issue with Call of Duty is that it completely lost the vibe it had with CoD4. My mental image of that game is a darker color palette, night vision, alternating between stealth pacing and intense ground combat, etc. It was slick and professional, bordering on cold, but with a ton of memorable visuals and scenarios. Ever since then it's just gone bigger and more ridiculous and more explosive, and more colorful. Black Ops 3 is peak ridiculousness. I was hoping that as we approach the 10th anniversary of MW1, Infinity Ward would swerve with their next entry and go back to what made that game special, but they've just jumped on the futuristic train as well, going all the way into space dogfights. Battlefield has trash campaigns, Rainbow 6 has no campaign, and Medal of Honor is dead.

Ghost Recon save me please

Yeah, that. I think MW2 still had a touch of the same feel, but they definitely focused on bombastic over tension. Obviously it makes people rich, but I'm not sure what about the success of Mw1 made them go "oh yeah, more explosions and insanity, that's the ticket!" when MW1 really wasn't like that.

GazzaGSi

It's more than likely that MWR will have to be launched from the IW multiplayer menu. i doubt very much it will be stand alone game. this way it keeps the player online logins for IW up, regardless of which game they play.

After reading the rumours that the IW disc will be required to run MWR this seems highly plausible. Would also prevent the buy/sell IW legacy just for the MW remaster. If this is the case they can keep it.

Why the seperate download code for MWR?

I doubt even Activision would do such bullshit.

Chris1

I doubt even Activision would do such bullshit.

Why wouldn't they? Making them separate is bad for business.

No developer wants a billion used copies for sale for like $10
may be exaggurating
on release date, and that's all that is going to happen if IW isn't a requirement.

Why wouldn't they? Making them separate is bad for business.

No developer wants a billion used copies for sale for like $10
may be exaggurating
on release date, and that's all that is going to happen if IW isn't a requirement.

In what way? You can only get MWR when you buy Infinite Warfare.

Sure some people here and there will sell this MWR Keys alone but for a higher amount of money.
But the only way to get this MWR keys is to buy IW.

Activision will get their money regardless.

Chris1

In what way? You can only get MWR when you buy Infinite Warfare.

Sure some people here and there will sell this MWR Keys alone but for a higher amount of money.
But the only way to get this MWR keys is to buy IW.

Activision will get their money regardless.

The price of the main game plummets due to trade ins? That hurts Activision for people only interested in IW as they will be able to get it dirt cheap on release day and not give Activision a penny.

It also means they can't shove supply drops down your throat for IW, whereas if MW is DLC for IW they can still do that.

The cover for the legacy edition is half/half, which is something never done before unless it launches directly from the game (MCC for example). Usually it's just a sticker of some sort stating the bonuses.

You're only thinking about it from the MW perspective, what about IW? you know, the game Activision will want people to play due to MTX and what not?

GodofWine

I remember when cod games were about the call of duty. Good times

I think this is the crux of the issue actually, the game's name no longer makes sense, people are confused and split. The original COD's were set in actual war scenarios, and now they are set in virtual reality training simulators with robots and space.

If Halo came out with HALO : Cold War Land Missions , and the game was based in 1954 in Bulgaria with gritty realistic graphics and mechanics, it might be a great game, but people would be up in arms over it.

Top Bottom