• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Quest 7 3DS videos

NolbertoS

September can't come soon enough. Wish this was released in the summer though, so we could've has DQVIII now. Need DQ goodness.

Infinite

Very excited to play this game for the first time.

I heard things about the original game's job class system being obtuse were those issues addressed in this remake?

Aeana

Very excited to play this game for the first time.

I heard things about the original game's job class system being obtuse were those issues addressed in this remake?

Presumably that was in reference to the hybrid skill system, I guess? They removed that in the remake.

ConfusedOwl

Neo Member
I'm currently finishing up my first play-through of Dragon Quest VIII so I'm definitely ready for this. Day One for sure.

Presumably that was in reference to the hybrid skill system, I guess? They removed that in the remake.

Would you say it's a change for the worse or better? I liked having access to all skills that I had learned. One of my disappointments with DQIX was you would invest all this time into raising a job class and then you wouldn't even have access to the fruits of your labour once you changed making it seem almost like a waste of time.

gblues

Banned

How much did they remove?

In the Playstation version, there was this weird concept of .. I forget the exact term, familiarization? Where you were class X, then would level it up and get a message saying you were familiar, then you change to class Y, and you'd learn special skills depending on what class X and Y were.

One of these was Sword Dance, which was ridiculously overpowered, but oh-so-worth the effort it took to get.

So did they only get rid of the special skill system, or did they neuter it to be more like IX where you can only use the spells from your current class?

Also, it looks like each class has a unique costume, a la FFV? Is that right?

Aeana

How much did they remove?

In the Playstation version, there was this weird concept of .. I forget the exact term, familiarization? Where you were class X, then would level it up and get a message saying you were familiar, then you change to class Y, and you'd learn special skills depending on what class X and Y were.

One of these was Sword Dance, which was ridiculously overpowered, but oh-so-worth the effort it took to get.

So did they only get rid of the special skill system, or did they neuter it to be more like IX where you can only use the spells from your current class?

Also, it looks like each class has a unique costume, a la FFV? Is that right?

Yes, those are hybrid skills. That system is gone. Sword dance is still in the game, but it's learned differently. It's also not the powerhouse skill it once was.

The way the class system works now is that the basic classes all teach you abilities permanently, but advanced class abilities can only be used while on that class. Monster classes can teach abilities that advanced classes learn permanently, however.

Also you wouldn't know when you close to unlocking a skill since there was no equivalent to Job Points in the original.

There's an NPC that tells you about class abilities and when they're learned. This remake doesn't have skill points, either.

HeeHo

The reason I bought a 3DS right here! Can't wait for this. Battles seem a little slower compared to the DS remakes but the world looks huge.

Infinite

The battles are the just as fast once you turn the speed to maximum.
Good to know.

Aeana said:
There's an NPC that tells you about class abilities and when they're learned. This remake doesn't have skill points, either.

So there's no way to know when you're going to learn a skill and there's no menu to see what these skills do once learned outside of talking to one NPC in the entire game. If that's the case that really obtuse

Same preview videos as the NA-English ones but with a vastly better UK-English narrator? Yes, please.

Thanks for sharing! I'm really looking forward to the release.

Can't wait to play this, these promo videos are well done. Hopefully the game gets some decent marketing so it doesn't completely tank sales wise.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Super-stoked to put in another 130 hours to this game... the original remains one of my all-time favorites and this has long been one of my most anticipated titles.

magnetic

The battles are the just as fast once you turn the speed to maximum.

This is very good to hear. Battle speed is super important to me in turn based games.

I really like over the shoulder style battle view, I've never seen that aside from what I've seen of Shining The Holy Ark.

I'm ready for this game!

Looks cool. The only DQ game I've ever played was IX, which I absolutely loved. It was so damn charming. I keep meaning to go back to play IV-V-VI, but maybe I'll start with this one when it comes out.

I know this is kind of lame, but one thing I liked about IX was all the gear customization - finding new armor/weapons pieces and putting them together and then seeing each character wearing them. Is that unique to IX or would I find it here too?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Buy digital in the hope that maybe, someday the NX will be able to play at least digital 3DS games or retail...?

Looks better than I ever expected it to be. I spent a whole summer playing this as a kid from start to finish, can't wait to play again.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
What does this even mean? Lol.

This game will be here in no time.

It means what I meant. We know the NX will probably not have BC, but if there is any hope that it might ever get it, it will probably be like with the vita...digital games only. At least that's what I'm expecting from all we've heard so far.
Of course..IF
so with every 3DS game I ask myself if I should go for the retail version or digital ^.^..you don't need to understand my reasoning, but making fun of me is a shitty thing to do :) stupid hostility...I'm out of this thread.

Dakhil

What ever happened to 8 coming to 3DS? I was really looking forward to that.

Dragon Quest VIII is still slated for release in North America in 2016 whilst the release date for Dragon Quest VIII in Europe is delayed to 2017.

(I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo later announces that the release date for Dragon Quest VIII in North America would be delayed to 2017 as well.)

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It means what I meant. We know the NX will probably not have BC, but if there is any hope that it might ever get it, it will probably be like with the vita...digital games only. At least that's what I'm expecting from all we've heard so far.
Of course..IF
so with every 3DS game I ask myself if I should go for the retail version or digital ^.^..you don't need to understand my reasoning, but making fun of me is a shitty thing to do :) stupid hostility...I'm out of this thread.

Hey, hey, come back here.

I think it will be physical + digital backwards compatibility or nothing at all. This is my conjecture, but I really doubt Nintendo would go back to larger game cards if you're worrying about the slot alone. I would get physical if I were you but it's your decision. I don't think it being digital would prevent Nintendo from not doing backwards compatibility, Sony didn't care.

That said I don't think there'll be any backwards compatibility on NX.

epmode

Looks cool. The only DQ game I've ever played was IX, which I absolutely loved. It was so damn charming. I keep meaning to go back to play IV-V-VI, but maybe I'll start with this one when it comes out.

I know this is kind of lame, but one thing I liked about IX was all the gear customization - finding new armor/weapons pieces and putting them together and then seeing each character wearing them. Is that unique to IX or would I find it here too?

Unless I'm very mistaken, DQ9 is the only game that makes individual armor pieces visible on your character. Maybe DQ10 but I never bothered finding out since it'll never be released in the West.

Buy digital in the hope that maybe, someday the NX will be able to play at least digital 3DS games or retail...?

I just don't see Nintendo of all companies carrying anything from our digital back catalog over to NX. They seem allergic to that kind of thinking.

Of course..IF

No one's made fun of you for anything. I genuinely don't see the connection between buying this digital and Nintendo allowing people to play 3ds games on the NX, since Nintendo does as Nintendo sees fit in such cases anyway. Even so, conjectures about backwards compatibility of an unrevealed console have absolute zip to do with Dragon Quest VII videos.

That's about as far as I'll derail the thread for this.

Some footage and developer Q&A from gamescom was just uploaded to youtube. (there's german, japanese & english intermixed)

StereoVsn

It's unfortunate that the skill system got watered down. Still getting the game though, should be a fun one (if I find 80 extra hours between CS2 and SMT IV A).

Top Bottom