• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

sertopico

I mean, with QB specifically. It's tailored on XBONE hardware and bringing it on the PC and on a relatively new DD platform brought nothing but problems. In my opinion there's no more they can do to improve the game... Maybe the DX11 path will make it run better.

I mean, with QB specifically. It's tailored on XBONE hardware and bringing it on the PC and on a relatively new DD platform brought nothing but problems. In my opinion there's no more they can do to improve the game... Maybe the DX11 path will make it run better.

I thought the transition to PC to Xbone and vice versa was a painless one.
That was one of the touted benefits of the whole Windows 10 unified platform garbage was it not?
Fingers crossed the Steam ver. totally outclasses the Wind 10 store one.

The rendering tech costs extremely high amount of processing power once you go above medium-high, you can't turn off the built-in 4X MSAA used by the reconstruction tech even with upscaling disabled, and the cost of real-time GI is insane. It doesn't help that the W10 version runs on a shoehorned non-mature DX12 renderer.

sertopico

^ As far as I know, GI in QB is not fully dynamic, it's also partially prebaked.
That was one of the touted benefits of the whole Windows 10 unified platform garbage was it not?

Should have been and maybe it will be, but not with Quantum Break. This was supposed to be a xbox exclusive and all of a sudden ms decided to do the port on PC as well. After all, there is a reason why the game is coming on Steam after so many months, it's not just an exclusive thing, they actually needed much more time to do a proper port.

PS: further confirmation about the no-more-patching the UWA version https://twitter.com/RiotRMD/status/763622167217053696

^ As far as I know, GI in QB is not fully dynamic, it's also partially prebaked.

Should have been and maybe it will be, but not with Quantum Break. This was supposed to be a xbox exclusive and all of a sudden ms decided to do the port on PC as well. After all, there is a reason why the game is coming on Steam after so many months, it's not just an exclusive thing, they actually needed much more time to do a proper port.
They mix and match for performance and visuals, but everything gi around the player/camera is fully dynamic i believe.

They resort to pre backed so the scale of the scenery isn't compromised because of performance reasons.

If I'm not mistaken they have 3 different solutions for gi going on at the same time.

Edit:

It's one of the benefits, but the tolls are still in development and this game started even before that was a thing. Sure there's already some ease of porting as they churned out uwp versions of many xbone games in development before uwp was a thing in very little time.

sertopico

They mix and match for performance and visuals, but everything gi around the player/camera is fully dynamic i believe.

They resort to pre backed so the scale of the scenery isn't compromised because of performance reasons.

If I'm not mistaken they have 3 different solutions for gi going on at the same time.
Yes, it should work like that, I read parts of the siggraph 2015 sheets. It's a shame anyway they had to rely on screen space reflections and not fully on GI to get a proper render of lights and reflections bouncing on surfaces, SSR give so many visual oddities. Guess it was going to be too demanding for current hw, pc and mostly console wise.

I wonder if they will drop the whole recosntruction technique from their renderer for the DX11 version.

Performance/IQ comparisons will be interesting.

jackdoe

Any one here have trouble uninstalling Quantum Break? I gave up on the UWP version, pre-ordered the Steam version, and when I go to my "Programs and Features" to remove it, it doesn't show up anywhere. So I have no idea where to go. I feel like the answer is something stupidly simple but unintuitive.

-edit-
Never mind. Figured it out. It WAS something stupid and unintuitive.

SimplexPL

Gotta love those "never mind, I figured it out but I won't tell you how, kthxbai" post.

How about you let others know what you need to do to uninstall, especially since it's unintuitive.

Unless something changed with Quantum Break, uninstalling any app on win10 is the same:

Right click the icon (either on the start screen/menu or in the all apps list, or search) and chose uninstall.

There are other ways that take more steps too, by going into the app manager.

Xyber

Gotta love those "never mind, I figured it out but I won't tell you how, kthxbai" post.

How about you let others know what you need to do to uninstall, especially since it's unintuitive.

This is fairly fitting.

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

Any one here have trouble uninstalling Quantum Break? I gave up on the UWP version, pre-ordered the Steam version, and when I go to my "Programs and Features" to remove it, it doesn't show up anywhere. So I have no idea where to go. I feel like the answer is something stupidly simple but unintuitive.

-edit-
Never mind. Figured it out. It WAS something stupid and unintuitive.

You right click the icon of the game and there is the option to uninstall it.

Why oh why does it not populate among the list of installed programs in the windows install directory like every single windows program in the decades before it?

BECAUSE.

Ok so I tried my new One S wireless controller with Doom via bluetooth and it works fine... but it still won't work with thus game, despite the fact that it used to work with the wireless dongle. Anyone know what the deal is?

Arkanius

The game is 39.69 € in the Windows Store. Not sure if I take the plunge or wait for the DX11 version on Steam.

Has remedy confirmed that it is in fact... DX11?

I want to run it on a 980 Ti can't find updated benchmarks right now.

Daingurse

The game is 39.69 € in the Windows Store. Not sure if I take the plunge or wait for the DX11 version on Steam.

I'd wait for the Steam version. Hopefully DX11 will offer better performance for Nvidia cards, and you ideally don't want to deal with the Windows Store. I really wish I hadn't bought this off the Windows Store in retrospect, but since I got the game at launch I really doubt I could have waited this long lol. You at least don't have much to wait much longer!

tioslash

Nah, wait for the Steam version for sure. It will be DX11, yes.

I think there is potential to have better performance particularly on Nvidia cards.

And really, Windows Store is a nightmare. It is a hassle to even get to finish downloading apps on that thing sometimes.

Thinking of ordering the physical edition (includes Steam download) for $32 from Prime. I'm running an i7-3770k at 3.9GHZ and a GTX 1060 6GB, with Windows 10. Is such a build running the game OK now?

Daingurse

Thinking of ordering the physical edition (includes Steam download) for $32 from Prime. I'm running an i7-3770k at 3.9GHZ and a GTX 1060 6GB, with Windows 10. Is such a build running the game OK now?

Depends on your settings, and what kind of FPS you find acceptable. I have a i7-980x at 4.3ghz +GTX 970+12GB DDR3 at 1600mhz. I run the game using the settings below:

Volumetric Lighting: Medium
Shadow Settings: All Medium
Texture Detail: High
Geometry: Ultra

Global Illumination: High
Effects: High
Screen Space Reflections: Medium

Anti-Aliasing: Off
Upscaling: Off
Film Grain: Off

I seem to average somewhere between 30fps and 60fps at 1080p, can't tell without a framerate counter lol. I just lock the game at 30fps, use my gamepad, and call it a day. You should be in much better shape than me though. Right off the back you will be able to use Ultra textures, I can't because I'm VRAM starved. I've put over 40 hours into this game, and have beaten it twice. It's not optimal for Nvidia cards, but has definitely been playable for me. Your 1060 is a good bit better than my 970, and hopefully DX11 runs better in-general for Nvidia hardware.

I can't believe I'm going to end up double dipping myself, after all the W10 bullshit. I want to compare the two versions myself, and actually do seem to be one of the few people who really loves this game hahaha. I'd really kill for better performance on my hardware.

Depends on your settings, and what kind of FPS you find acceptable. I have a i7-980x at 4.3ghz +GTX 970+12GB DDR3 at 1600mhz. I run the game using the settings below:

Volumetric Lighting: Medium
Shadow Settings: All Medium
Texture Detail: High
Geometry: Ultra

Global Illumination: High
Effects: High
Screen Space Reflections: Medium

Anti-Aliasing: Off
Upscaling: Off
Film Grain: Off

I seem to average somewhere between 30fps and 60fps at 1080p, can't tell without a framerate counter lol. I just lock the game at 30fps, use my gamepad, and call it a day. You should be in much better shape than me though. Right off the back you will be able to use Ultra textures, I can't because I'm VRAM starved. I've put over 40 hours into this game, and have beaten it twice. It's not optimal for Nvidia cards, but has definitely been playable for me. Your 1060 is a good bit better than my 970, and hopefully DX11 runs better in-general for Nvidia hardware.

I can't believe I'm going to end up double dipping myself, after all the W10 bullshit. I want to compare the two versions myself, and actually do seem to be one of the few people who really loves this game hahaha. I'd really kill for better performance on my hardware.

Thanks for the info. I figure I should be able to get a locked 30fps at 1080p with good detail. I do kind of expect a whole new round of bugs to sort out with the EXE/DX11 changes.

I ordered it. $32 for physical version with the making of blu-ray and book is too enticing.

It's still hilarious that it includes the game on five DVDs when you need to use the Steam code. I guess I'll try to copy the disk data and avoid waiting a day for the download to run.

I kind of expect a whole new round of bugs to sort out with the EXE/DX11 changes.

I ordered it. $32 for physical version with the making of blu-ray and book is too enticing.

It's still hilarious that it includes the game on five DVDs when you need to use the Steam code. I guess I'll try to copy the disk data and avoid waiting a day for the download to run.

Erm you can tell steam to install from the disk.

And holy shit game sounds still horribly unoptimsed, I fear for gears 4 on pc with windows store.

Theorry

And holy shit game sounds still horribly unoptimsed, I fear for gears 4 on pc with windows store.

QB was a aftertought really. Gears doesnt look like it Looking at the released settings you have for the pc version. Those are insane haha.

Killer Instinct and Recore seem to perform well on PC. So it seems to vary depending on the studio working on the game. Though, Gears of War on PC still has problems.

Daingurse

Thanks for the info. I figure I should be able to get a locked 30fps at 1080p with good detail. I do kind of expect a whole new round of bugs to sort out with the EXE/DX11 changes.

No problem man. I think I'm gonna have to end up getting a physical copy as well. Those extras sounds pretty nice, and a physical case would look good on my desk. Would also be nice to not have to waste another 60GB of bandwidth downloading the game again lol.

sertopico

No refund for me as well, they said that after 30 days you cannot get any money back. tried insisting but it was useless. :/

Killer Instinct and Recore seem to perform well on PC. So it seems to vary depending on the studio working on the game. Though, Gears of War on PC still has problems.

but what are the system requirements for those games? Gears of wars 4 doesn't look any near it should need the requirements it is asking for.

NeoRaider

I wonder would things be different for the PC version of QB if they worked on it from day 1 instead of starting in the middle of the Xbox One development.... It's obvious that PC version was rushed and that it wasn't optimized. That's why i believe that there is still hope for Steam version of the game, since they had additional time to work on it plus like they said they are more experienced with DX11.

I've a 1060 which is supposedly comparable to the 980. The 10FPS boost seems quite nice (or did I read wrong?).

Any news on the DX11 renderer for the Windows Store version?

Daingurse

Can someone explain the difference for us inept folks?

From my understanding, the UWP Windows Store will only offer the DX12 rendering API, while the Steam/Retail PC release will only include the DX11 API. The DX11 API will hopefully see better performance with NV hardware, while AMD hardware has an edge in DX12. That benchmark posted earlier showed a decent boost for my 970, but I'm just hoping for a more stable experience in-general. There are so many graphical oddities, and annoying performance issues that pissed me off with the Windows Store version, really hoping that shit is smoothed out. Especially since NVidia can actually do something on the driver side with DX11.

I was not aware that the Steam version would not allow choice of Direct X. In fact, a couple of weeks ago the System Requirements info on Steam had DX11 as minimum and DX12 as recommended, so I assumed it would support both.

However, the requirements have been edited since then to remove any recommendation of DX12.

Since I have a GTX 1060 I wasn't planning on running it in DX12 anyway.

Top Bottom