• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega master system appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
All this Alex
the
Kidd talk made me buy a copy. Thanks a lot gaf.
I was gonna get it anyways, but it was 50-60 the last time I saw it.

Also I can play Sonic pal games on a US system yeah?

D.Lo

Mark III version with cloth map and figurine:

1iaV.jpg

The most explicit cover in my collection. Captain Kirk would love it.

NSFW link

Bonus: Famicom version with completely different cloth map

D.Lo

I can't believe this exists!!!
yeah, literally never seen that before - awesome, D Lo!
I actually just realised, despite being completely on topic and accidental, that a Sega game cover violates the terms of service, so I edited the post to link to it instead lol.

I think it's pretty hilarious the way the western art recycles as much as possible, but just re-does the dragon girl with extra clothes. But strangely replaces the wizard with an axe man.

NSWF link http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/miraclewarriors/miraclewarriorsj.jpg

Vs.

miraclewarriors.jpg

It's also worth noting that the nude dragon woman is actually in the game as well, even the western version.

I actually just realised, despite being completely on topic and accidental, that a Sega game cover violates the terms of service, so I edited the post to link to it instead lol.

I think it's pretty hilarious the way the western art recycles as much as possible, but just re-does the dragon girl with extra clothes. But strangely replaces the wizard with an axe man.

NSWF link http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/miraclewarriors/miraclewarriorsj.jpg

Vs.

miraclewarriors.jpg

It's also worth noting that the nude dragon woman is actually in the game as well, even the western version.
A friend of mine, who could program since he was young, loved this game so much he made a sequel for MS Dos! Still available from his website if anybody is really into it PM me for a link! He wrote it with a friend back in the nineties as a young teenager.

BTails

Been craving some Rastan lately. I used to play the Apple IIgs port all the time growing up. I hear the SMS version is pretty decent. Thoughts?

IrishNinja

^it prolly is, but i beat it so many times i had it down to a science!

Rastan is easily top 10 for the system for me, great port & pretty much as good as your'e gonna get up to Taito Legends. go for it!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Got Choplifter and Fantasy Zone today, wonder if Choplifter is anything. Remember the third game being decent on the Snes.

Nessus

My cousins had a Master System and they were the only people I knew who did.

I remember playing Fantasy Zone 2 and R-Type. To this day the Master System version of R-Type is my favorite.

D.Lo

So with Master System, is it the console that changes the 50 or 60hz output?
And also the region. I play some western Master System games in my Mark III and they play in Japanese.

That said, many games have completely different ROMS across territories, and some of the later PAL games will have glitches if played in 60Hz.

Khaz

So with Master System, is it the console that changes the 50 or 60hz output?

refresh rate and region are managed by the console, just like the Megadrive.

Note there are only two regions for the Master System, which are Japanese and Western (export). As D.Lo said, some late European games (essentially from Codemasters) are unhappy not playing at 50Hz, but every cartridge published in the Western world are electrically compatible and without a region lock of any sort.

This is great to hear, looking forward to it!

Morfeo, have you ever played the arcade version? If you have and loved it, you will cherish it.

but if not, the arcade game itself is a remake by SEGA in 1985. not sure if it still holds up today but i have very found memories of it.

Morfeo

Morfeo, have you ever played the arcade version? If you have and loved it, you will cherish it.

but if not, the arcade game itself is a remake by SEGA in 1985. not sure if it still holds up today but i have very found memories of it.

Unfortunately I have not. I bought the game solely based on my positive experiences with the Snes-game Choplifter 3, but Im glad to hear this praise. Might have to check out the arcade-version too then!

D.Lo

Huh ,never knew that. Looking it up is was one weird series in progression.

Apple II - > Arcade -> SMS -> Game Boy -> Game Gear -> SNES

Choplifter II on Game Boy was a hell of a game too. Expanded the formula quite well.

^ i have to try choplifter II for gameboy at some point. i'm pretty interested now.

picked up Alex Kidd over the weekend!

GwTAj70h.jpg

pwEHKMGh.jpg

cN3vZqZh.jpg

That's in real good condition! I got myself a Light Phaser this weekend, the actual gun was fairly worn, but it still had the damn plastic protection over the shiny Light Phaser logo on each side!

CqPp9jEWgAAPnGo.jpg

Khaz

I find Gangster town the most funny and cool to play, with all the gangsters and various environments. Rescue Mission isn't the traditional "shoot them before they shoot at the screen", but instead intercepting stuff before it gets to the center of the screen. It allows for more planning as you can predict the enemies more, but also much more frantic as the games throws everything at you.

imo yeah, they're the best ones.

Morfeo

I also just got myself a decent copy of Alex Kidd, and I actually really like the game, despite the stupid janken-stuff. Sucks they inverted the controls in the cart-version though.

D.Lo

I also just got myself a decent copy of Alex Kidd, and I actually really like the game, despite the stupid janken-stuff. Sucks they inverted the controls in the cart-version though.
Lol no, they inverted the controls in the bios version. Cart version was first by three years.

Morfeo

Lol no, they inverted the controls in the bios version. Cart version was first by three years.

You know what i mean, compared to what we are used to, the cart version is the inverted one even though it was first.

jgkspsx

Hey, the Vectrex had color 3D glasses first!

Sonic 2 on Master System was crazy good, well I've not played it in forever but as a kid I loved it. So weird though how different it was to the Mega Drive version.
I love the MS/GG Sonics. It's a terrible shame that all the legitimately available emulators are the GG version with microscopic viewports.

I need to get the Master System version of Sonic 2.

I played the Game Gear version so much when I was younger, but it was so fucking hard. I don't think i ever managed to get even close to beating it, despite how much I played it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I need to get the Master System version of Sonic 2.

I played the Game Gear version so much when I was younger, but it was so fucking hard. I don't think i ever managed to get even close to beating it, despite how much I played it.

The Master System version is considerably easier because you actually see what you are doing. The first boss is the horror on Game Gear, but on Master System he is quite managable.

D.Lo

Sonic 1 on Master System is quite good.

Sonic 2 MS is actually pretty crap, it's really plain looking and has pretty bad level design.

They were made by different outside ghost developers.

Sonic 2 MS is actually pretty crap, it's really plain looking and has pretty bad level design.

Gotta agree, I remember picking up Sonic 2 and being underwhelmed as a kid. It looked nice and all, but something was off.

There's a nice rom hack called Sonic 2: Sweet Relief for Everdrive owners or emulator fans alike which adds rings to all third stage boss levels and even adds the checkpoint arrows from Sonic 1 to make things easier and more enjoyable (yeah, git gud and all that).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I agree on that assessment. Though it's not that Aspect is a total shit developer, they also made the later Sonic Game Gear / Master System games and Chaos & Triple Trouble are actually quite nice (they also shat out Sonic Blast though...).

The Master System version is considerably easier because you actually see what you are doing. The first boss is the horror on Game Gear, but on Master System he is quite managable.

Oh god that guy. I couldn't believe how hard he was. It drove me crazy; like this is the first dude in the game. How is he this tough. The ball bounced out of the screen, and you couldn't even see where it was going to come back at you; mean while you have like two inches of space to operate with between you and his pincers on your right

Will buy to take out my past frustrations on him alone

theclaw135

Banned
Hey got a question for you SMS fans.

With Sonic 2, is there a PAL and an NTSC version?

Same rom, but yes. The NTSC-J version exists in South Korea.

Sonic 2 has optimized music on SMS. If somehow NTSC/PAL are switched while running, it'll mess up the soundtrack.

Though there are other internal differences, games themselves behave as the same region in Brazil or USA.
Export (non-Asia) cartridge shape and language/region setting, 60Hz speed.

jgkspsx

I think I spent so much time playing Sonic 2 GG that it's engraved in my brain. I can beat the first boss first try every time these days.

The idea that there's a version where you can see where you're going in the hang glider is still remarkable to me, though.

Maybe the absurd difficulty of the GG viewport actually, perversely, made it a more interesting game.

IrishNinja

monthly reminder that if anyone has an extra model 1 SMS or sees one on the cheap, please hit me up! broke af but dying to replace that system, will totally trade/etc for it!

damn i tried beating drago and i can't =/

this is pretty challenging

oh man, my neighbor growing up adored that game but swore drago was harder than mike tyson, good luck man!

monthly reminder that if anyone has an extra model 1 SMS or sees one on the cheap, please hit me up! broke af but dying to replace that system, will totally trade/etc for it!

oh man, my neighbor growing up adored that game but swore drago was harder than mike tyson, good luck man!

what's the market or considered cheap for a model 1 right now? i see a few on my local craiglist from time to time and will pm you if i see one at the price you want.

IrishNinja

I'm not sure, Ive seen dumb markups of $70-80+ for a system alone, some even $100+!

What are you seeing out thar way? Big bonus points if there's a working pair of 3D glasses!

Top Bottom